Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Like Cenac, McGowan was behaving unprofessionally. She started trashing a script she turned down on a public forum. The consequence of that is that she doesn't get any more scripts. The agent also takes flak because she represents McGowan. So the agent has a choice: drop McGowan and save herself from being dragged down by McGowan's unprofessionalism, or stand by McGowan who will never be hired again because...? The agent did the right thing and though you're crying "sexism :qq:" the evidence clearly shows that McGowan's behavior is 100% responsible for her getting dropped.

The other choice is that this supposedly liberal industry actually start acting like it and not get offended when people speak up. Or we could just stay quiet and let this poo poo continue.

Just curious, are you a minority who works in show business? Because I am. And I have enough bullshit stories from "liberal Hollywood" as conservative commentators like to call it to fill an entire thread.

Maybe consider where other people are coming from. Like being the only black writer and performer on a staff of 100 people. If you don't think Cenac struck a nerve with Stewart, I guess it's just a coincidence that every hire for TDS in the last six years besides Jordan Klepner has been a person of color.

Edit: Just looked up the writer who got fired by Sorkin. She's writing on the Golden Globe winner for Best Drama The Affair. Looks like her career sure got ruined.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The other choice is that this supposedly liberal industry actually start acting like it and not get offended when people speak up. Or we could just stay quiet and let this poo poo continue.

But you're not addressing the fact that she behaved unprofessionally. Are you saying its okay to take a script for a movie that hasn't been filmed yet, and that you turned down a role in, post excerpts on twitter and use them to make fun of the other actors in the picture? Is that really what you want people to "speak up" for?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If I worked for Sorkin I would take the chance to fulfill my destiny and shoot him in the loving face. When fate gives you an opportunity you take it, that's my only gripe about that lady I've never heard of on that show I can't stand.

As for Cenac, I think throwing popular celebrities under the bus is good for your career and not bad for it. He's getting headlines out of this.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

But you're not addressing the fact that she behaved unprofessionally. Are you saying its okay to take a script for a movie that hasn't been filmed yet and that you turned down a role in, post excerpts on twitter and use them to make fun of the other actors in the picture? Is that really what you want people to "speak up" for?

Yes. Because in Hollywood, a woman's career as an actress is essentially over the moment she can't pass for 29 and doesn't return until she can play a 55+ woman again. And the problem is not just with acting. Because in Hollywood, despite more women than men graduating from film school, they somehow, coincidence I'm guessing, don't rise up the ranks to director.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/number-of-female-directors-falls-over-17-year-period-study-finds-1201402686/

"Women were best represented as producers (23%) followed by executive producers (19%), editors (18%), writers (11%) and cinematographers (5%). Although there are more female executive producers and cinematographers working today than there were in 1998, the percentage of women working as writers, editors and producers have all dropped."

Again, are you a minority who works in the entertainment industry? Do you even work in the entertainment industry? Have you ever been in a writers room? Have you ever been on set? Have you ever been in a pitch meeting? Have you even been an audience member on a late night talk show because the tickets were free? If no, then you are talking completely out of your rear end. "Behaving unprofessionally" doesn't mean anything that you think it means because the film and TV industry is not some white collar office job. LMAO at thinking that posting and making fun of a casting notice telling women to dress like a slut is "unprofessional" in this industry. Last month UTA stole from CAA every agent who literally represents, and I mean LITERALLY in the dictionary definition of the word, every famous and semi-famous comedian in the world... and that was a loving blip on the radar. "Behaving unprofesionally"? Have you read the the stolen Sony e-mails where the head of a major studio jokes around that the President is only interested in movies with black people? Your grasp of unprofesionalism in Hollywood is even worse than your grasp on Generation Y.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Last month UTA stole from CAA every agent who literally represents, and I mean LITERALLY in the dictionary definition of the word, every famous and semi-famous comedian in the world... and that was a loving blip on the radar. "Behaving unprofesionally"? Have you read the the stolen Sony e-mails where the head of a major studio jokes around that the President is only interested in movies with black people? Your grasp of unprofesionalism in Hollywood is even worse than your grasp on Generation Y.

Okay, you don't seem to understand the difference between stolen private correspondence and something a person posted on Twitter for all the world to see. The entertainment industry is a business like all others. If the head chef at McDonald's HQ hopped on Twitter and said "boy, our new McDoodle Sandwich is gonna be loving poo poo," he'd lose his job, and rightfully so. McGowan basically did the same thing. She got a script (presumably confidential), looked it over and posted on Twitter, "boy, this movie is gonna be poo poo." It was a stupid and unprofessional thing to do and she rightly got in trouble for it.

If you wanna get ahead within a system, you gotta play the game. You can't call the people at the top hacks and expect them to hire you. Its just not the way the world works.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Incidentally, Irish Joe also really hates the only black guy on the Harmontown podcast too. Don't bother with him Mordecai, Joe's the kind of poster that starts his own unpopular opinion with "most people think that.."

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

The entertainment industry is a business like all others.

NO IT'S NOT. THAT'S MY POINT. You don't work in this industry. So STOP TELLING ME WHAT MY DAY-TO-DAY LIFE IS. I'm not black, but I'm starting to understand what it's like when white people tell black people that their experience with law enforcement is not valid because they've met nothing but nice cops.

Let's go down the list of things you're factually wrong about. These are not up for debate:

*Wyatt Cenac is generation Y or a Millenial. No. He's a 39 year old man.

*Rose McGowan posted a script on Twitter. She did not. She posted a casting note. You've mentioned this multiple times and don't even know what you're talking about. You read a blog post, shoved in the back of your mind, and retrieved a crumpled version of it.

*The woman who spoke up in Aaron Sorkin's writing room is not unemployed. She is a writer on a prestigious TV show that just won an award for being the best TV show. And in those 18 months "doing nothing", she could've sold a pilot or done uncredited rewrites. Who knows? IMDB is not your friend when it comes to screenwriters.

So you ignored these easily Googlable facts, combined them with your total lack of experience working in Hollywood, and formed an extremely aggressive opinion on why minorities should keep their mouth shut when people in power say things that are, how should we put it, uncouth.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

:shrug:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Irish Joe posted:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

:shrug:

Hell that's progress, you should be proud mordecai this is the most wrong I've ever seen Irish Joe admit.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

NO IT'S NOT. THAT'S MY POINT. You don't work in this industry. So STOP TELLING ME WHAT MY DAY-TO-DAY LIFE IS. I'm not black, but I'm starting to understand what it's like when white people tell black people that their experience with law enforcement is not valid because they've met nothing but nice cops.

Let's go down the list of things you're factually wrong about. These are not up for debate:

*Wyatt Cenac is generation Y or a Millenial. No. He's a 39 year old man.

*Rose McGowan posted a script on Twitter. She did not. She posted a casting note. You've mentioned this multiple times and don't even know what you're talking about. You read a blog post, shoved in the back of your mind, and retrieved a crumpled version of it.

*The woman who spoke up in Aaron Sorkin's writing room is not unemployed. She is a writer on a prestigious TV show that just won an award for being the best TV show. And in those 18 months "doing nothing", she could've sold a pilot or done uncredited rewrites. Who knows? IMDB is not your friend when it comes to screenwriters.

So you ignored these easily Googlable facts, combined them with your total lack of experience working in Hollywood, and formed an extremely aggressive opinion on why minorities should keep their mouth shut when people in power say things that are, how should we put it, uncouth.

You should post in ask/tell about working in the entertainment industry.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Veskit posted:

Hell that's progress, you should be proud mordecai this is the most wrong I've ever seen Irish Joe admit.

I'm just glad we can stop talking about Hollywood unprofessionalism in a thread devoted to Marc Maron. It would be a disgrace to his career from 1990-2010.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
And as a listener, that was a really good interview with Wyatt Cenac. It sucks that lovely entertainment news sites are reducing it down to "Wyatt Cenac slams Jon Stewart", because that wasn't how it felt to me listening to it.

I'm sure many of the people in the stories he told would have a different story to tell. But Wyatt Cenac sounded very honest and open and vulnerable during the whole interview. It didn't sound like he came in with an axe to grind, just that he was trying to explain what he experienced and felt.

That's one of the main draws of shows like this. I'd rather hear more of that than another celebrity trying to give vague, upbeat answers and keeping their guard up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, taken out of context it sounds way worse than it was. All the articles I've seen ignore the backstory which explained why he was so devastated by the blowup and the aftermath and airing of grievances that took place.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah its really not as big as people are making it to be.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Yeah its really not as big as people are making it to be.

Guy Branum put it best. Tweet could apply for both Jon or Wyatt

https://twitter.com/guybranum/status/624454265587793920

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think that is the least I've heard marc talk in an interview so far.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irish Joe posted:

But you're not addressing the fact that she behaved unprofessionally. Are you saying its okay to take a script for a movie that hasn't been filmed yet, and that you turned down a role in, post excerpts on twitter and use them to make fun of the other actors in the picture? Is that really what you want people to "speak up" for?

I do Irish Joe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Every time you respond to Irish Joe as if he was a rational human being deserving of acknowledgment, the terrorists win.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Saw Maron do stand-up Saturday night. Was good poo poo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm sure many of the people in the stories he told would have a different story to tell. But Wyatt Cenac sounded very honest and open and vulnerable during the whole interview.

Wyatt sounds loving emotionally traumatized. His mom really hosed him up and gave him some serious trust issues, and it sounds like Jon just happened to accidentally step directly on that weak spot and it made everything crumple.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

rotinaj posted:

Wyatt sounds loving emotionally traumatized. His mom really hosed him up and gave him some serious trust issues, and it sounds like Jon just happened to accidentally step directly on that weak spot and it made everything crumple.

That's kind of like saying you accidentally stepped on someone's temple when you were curb stomping them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

bobservo posted:

Megan Fox called Michael Bay "Hitler" and she's back in his movies again. In Capitalism, it doesn't matter what you say, so long as you can make someone lots of money.

Michael Bay didn't even care about the comment too, Spielberg insisted he fire her.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Michael Bay didn't even care about the comment too, Spielberg insisted he fire her.

Yeah. It's something that got overlooked. She said that on the set he was like Hitler because he was such a Tyrant. Bay took it all in good stead (And while he probably didn't like being called that, he will admit that he can be a dick on set). It was Spielberg who got her canned while Bay was happy to keep her on. Bay just went and cast her in TMNT instead because he likes working with her (Or insert your own 'creepy man being a lech' narrative here).

Anyway, I liked the Segel interview and apparently I'm not up on my gossip because I had no idea he was an alcoholic. Nice to see him be open about his movie career as well and admitting he did stuff because there's a fear that you'll just be forgotten.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Sinbad interview is pretty fantastic.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah Sinbad was fun and it's interesting to hear him attempt to deal with the Cosby stuff.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sinbad was great. Listening to the will wheaton nerdist podcast he just says what we all have in this thread. Since obama, the entire press now just pays close attention too marc and wtf.

I like that he is making it big but it's kind of sad that maybe people will be more guarded in future interviews? People opening up to him is what made it great.

All the press misrepresenting wyatt may have hosed it. :(

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I've got a backlog going because I only have so much tolerance for Marc, even with skipping his intros.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

The Harmony Korine interview is pretty great if you're a fan of his work. It's the first legit/honest interview I think I've ever heard Harmony give. He's not a smirking chimp for once and the insights into his creative process and experiences are really fascinating.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

theradiostillsucks posted:

I've got a backlog going because I only have so much tolerance for Marc, even with skipping his intros.

Same. I stopped listening for a solid year or two after listening to every episode from something like 40-200.

I will say, having tuned back in for Obama and then checking out Segel and Cenac, I feel like he has become a legitimately great interviewer when he wants to be.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The Harmony Korine interview is pretty great if you're a fan of his work. It's the first legit/honest interview I think I've ever heard Harmony give. He's not a smirking chimp for once and the insights into his creative process and experiences are really fascinating.

Yeah I was surprised that he wasn't the guy I expected him to be, but I guess from your comment he was the guy I expected him to be in the past.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think Maron has always been a good interviewer, there was just a time when he was only really good at interviewing comedians. I think he can interview actors well now, though I think he still struggles with musicians if he's a fan of their work because he gets a little bit fanboy over them.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

The Berzerker posted:

I think Maron has always been a good interviewer, there was just a time when he was only really good at interviewing comedians. I think he can interview actors well now, though I think he still struggles with musicians if he's a fan of their work because he gets a little bit fanboy over them.

Disagreed. I consider the J Mascis episode to be his best for a variety of reasons and Marc is/was a Dinosaur Jr. fan. I've heard Marc comment that perhaps the interview wasn't great because J is so laconic but he comes across as downright exuberant when considering his history of disengaging completely during most interviews. Plus J's stories about his childhood/"coming up" are loving hilarious and largely unpunctuated. The Malkmus interview is also really great and he spends the first ten minutes of that show talking about Pavement (or squeezing references into his typical navel-gazing preamble, however you prefer it).

The Stones interviews were terrible but I think that had less to do with the fanboy aspect and more to do with covering well-trod ground with one of the most successful and longest tenured rock bands in the world. When a man is willing to publish that his longtime business partner's penis is the smallest he's ever seen then he's probably exhausted his opinion on the subject

And I would say the Father John Misty episode was pretty trash to listen to but very revealing as far as getting a sense of how egotistical and pretentious that guy is. The same goes for the Titus Andronicus dude and James Maynard Keenan.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 4, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah fair enough, I'm thinking of older musician interviews like Wayne Coyne, Craig Finn, Mike Doughty etc. that just kinda weren't that great. But even then he had decent ones with some musicians like Fiona Apple so maybe it depends more on the person.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Since the Daily Show isn't easily available in Australia, does anyone know if Wyatt Cenac turned up for the last Jon Steward episode?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
He did, and it was good. They did a faux-awkward conversation, and it ended with Jon Stewart saying "hey, we should talk sometime" and Wyatt Cenac saying "I'm pretty busy."

It was a pretty great capper to the wtf episode.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You can see it here:
https://youtu.be/VO7AW1lTAO0

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

You Am I posted:

Since the Daily Show isn't easily available in Australia, does anyone know if Wyatt Cenac turned up for the last Jon Steward episode?

Jon even said "So... we good?" as a nod to Marc.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wafflesnsegways posted:

He did, and it was good. They did a faux-awkward conversation, and it ended with Jon Stewart saying "hey, we should talk sometime" and Wyatt Cenac saying "I'm pretty busy."

It was a pretty great capper to the wtf episode.

Ah, that's good to see :)

I liked the Jason Bateman interview, Maron really seemed to click with him and seemed really friendly

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Yeah the Bateman one was cool. He was really open and didn't shy away from questions about his family or career.

Also, he's part of a trend of successful people on the show that near the end of the show declare they want their work to be more meaningful in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Everyone on earth wants their work to be meaningful. Especially when they are asked about it. Whether they believe they can accomplish that is an entirely different matter.

• Locked thread