Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rime posted:

I need a shower after reading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

I need a shower after reading that.

Do you have like, your own private shower you can use any time?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I don't think there's a problem finding attractive women in Canada especially in major cities there's plenty. Though I do have to give special mention to Montreal where they tend to dress up and take better care of themselves.

The real problem is just a more standoffish attitude and "cold" culture. Women are friendlier and a lot more forward in other countries. I think there's an over abundance of decent looking guys with good jobs in Toronto so girls you normally wouldn't go for suddenly find themselves with an abundance of choice.

Why even bother committing when 3 more hot bankers and hipsters are a tinder swipe away?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have like, your own private shower you can use any time?
I even have running water most days.

edit: vvvvvv What they mean is there's nobody HB7.5 or greater who will date them twice and/or look at their fedora collection.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 28, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Anyone who lives in a major Canadian city who complains about how there's not any attractive women can go to hell.

Try living in a small prairie city where at least half the residents can't talk about anything other than the loving roughriders are and/or are obese.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Monaghan posted:

Anyone who lives in a major Canadian city who complains about how there's not any attractive women can go to hell.

Try living in a small prairie city where at least half the residents can't talk about anything other than the loving roughriders are and/or are obese.

Don't forget most the single girls are pregnant or have kids

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

triplexpac posted:

Don't forget most the single girls are pregnant or have kids

Rurals

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I knew ya'll would see the light if left to your own devices. If I wanted to date and converse with a potato, I'd go to the grocery store.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I feel like anyone saying "there are no attractive women in x giant metropolitan city" are probably fully retarded autists incapable of interacting with any human being. It's just a feeling though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

etalian posted:

Vancouver is worth the price since the women are more attractive compared to other global cities like LA or NYC.

Vancouver is a great place to build girlfriend equity at the moment. Put 6 months of effort into one, and then use the boost in confidence to flip into a much hotter babe. The market is good right now - get started before you're priced out of it with my seminar on building babe equity!!! Only qualified, intelligent applicants, please.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
on the one hand there are lots of attractive people here but on the other neither I nor my partner are actually from here at all

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JawKnee posted:

on the one hand there are lots of attractive people here but on the other neither I nor my partner are actually from here at all

Thats the irony. People visit tourist location X, see lots of attractive people and just assume they are locals when in reality they are either other tourists or transplants from somewhere else. :v:

Also, how did I miss this yesterday http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/transalta-timed-power-outages-to-drive-up-prices-says-commission-1.3170229

"Categorically False"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Monaghan posted:

If you're in any Atlantic town save Halifax and you're in a certain age bracket, your parents either have money (and you have some sinecure) or You Done hosed Up. You're working a series of minimum wage fungible jobs and blowing your paycheques on drugs and the local Dooly's. It's a bleak existence and probably one of the reasons they have issues keeping doctors - in addition to trying to gently caress them out of malpractice payments if their specialties aren't popular (e.g: guess how popular obgyn is in a retirement province), the people are just cold.

There was a story in the Chronicle Herald about a man who'd practiced medicine for 20 years in a town in Nova Scotia and never been invited to a single dinner.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Thats the irony. People visit tourist location X, see lots of attractive people and just assume they are locals when in reality they are either other tourists or transplants from somewhere else. :v:

Also, how did I miss this yesterday http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/transalta-timed-power-outages-to-drive-up-prices-says-commission-1.3170229

"Categorically False"

I really hope that all this news of residents of other provinces getting super hosed by private power companies keeps people voting NDP in the next Manitoba election.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

I really hope that all this news of residents of other provinces getting super hosed by private power companies keeps people voting NDP in the next Manitoba election.

That would be nice but I can tell you exactly how it will go:

"No but you see were better than province X so it will be totally different! :downs:"

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

JawKnee posted:

don't sign another lease, go month-to-month

Why? Whats the benefit? We got a great place, and wouldnt a lease lock-down our rate for that year, while month-to-month it can be increased?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Melian Dialogue posted:

Why? Whats the benefit? We got a great place, and wouldnt a lease lock-down our rate for that year, while month-to-month it can be increased?

No that's not how month to month works. A lease IMO is more a benefit for the landlord locking you into a term so they don't have to be prepared at any moment to go show the place to someone else.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Vehementi posted:

No that's not how month to month works. A lease IMO is more a benefit for the landlord locking you into a term so they don't have to be prepared at any moment to go show the place to someone else.

I sure hope you're talking nonsense because that makes no sense. A lease is a contract.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Melian Dialogue posted:

No. The rent is already "locked down" for a year by the tenancy act. There's basically no benefit to the tenant signing a lease in BC. It benefits the landlord slightly by discouraging you from breaking the lease early with a nominal financial penalty.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Lexicon posted:

I sure hope you're talking nonsense because that makes no sense. A lease is a contract.

Yes, one that says you will pay them $X per month for rental of the place.
Guess what a regular month-to-month contract is? A contract that says you will pay them $X per month for rental of the place. The difference with month-to-month is there's no penalty for leaving before the lease is up. Rent increases are regulated by law and can only happen once a year, can only be a certain percentage, and have to be done with notice.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

THC posted:

It benefits the landlord slightly by discouraging you from breaking the lease early with a nominal financial penalty.

It benefits the landlord significantly because on a fixed-term lease, the landlord can choose not to renew the lease and to force the tenant out at the end of it. This is not possible with a month-to-month tenancy, except under a relatively small number of situations (significant improvements, moving a family member in, etc).

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Lexicon posted:

Yes, one that does not actually benefit you unless you are afraid of getting kicked out early (edit: apparently not even that, according to ^^^). Rate lock-in happens anyway as others have said. But with a lease you can't leave early without penalty. This benefits the landlord because they know they most likely don't have to worry about your unit for 12 months, whereas if you were month-to-month, you could leave at any time and they'd have to go and show it to people which is annoying.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

blah_blah posted:

It benefits the landlord significantly because on a fixed-term lease, the landlord can choose not to renew the lease and to force the tenant out at the end of it. This is not possible with a month-to-month tenancy, except under a relatively small number of situations (significant improvements, moving a family member in, etc).
Even then you can refuse to leave and go to a hearing which will take like 6 months.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

You guys are talking in riddles. Unless BC is more hosed than I thought - a lease should serve to ensure a tenant cannot be booted out prior to the expiry.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

You guys are talking in riddles. Unless BC is more hosed than I thought - a lease should serve to ensure a tenant cannot be booted out prior to the expiry.

LOL

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blah_blah posted:

Unless Canadian law is a lot different from USA, that's not right and the landlord can put anyone out at the end of the next month, rather than the end of the year.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my landlord is adamant that he only does 1 year leases and then when he "only" raised our rent the maximum allowed if we were monthly was all "I could actually raise it any amount since you are on a lease but I like you guys so I'll only raise it the maximum as if you were monthly".

Does anyone know anything better about BC tenancy laws? Can I just say gently caress you we're going monthly?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/ending-a-tenancy/landlord-notice/two-month-notice

BC posted:

Fixed-term tenancies: Neither party in a fixed-term agreement (or lease) can end the tenancy early. If both parties agree to end it early, they can complete the Mutual Agreement to End Tenancy form (PDF, 1.6MB).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah my landlord is adamant that he only does 1 year leases and then when he "only" raised our rent the maximum allowed if we were monthly was all "I could actually raise it any amount since you are on a lease but I like you guys so I'll only raise it the maximum as if you were monthly".

Does anyone know anything better about BC tenancy laws? Can I just say gently caress you we're going monthly?

Right here in plain english.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reho/yogureho/fash/fash_002.cfm

quote:

Renewal of Tenancy Agreement Term

A fixed term tenancy agreement may specify the date by which the tenant must move out. If no date is specified, and the landlord and tenant do not sign a new tenancy agreement, the tenancy agreement automatically converts to a month-to-month tenancy and all other terms in the tenancy agreement continue to be in effect.

Terminating a Tenancy: Notice and Timing

Prior to a fixed term tenancy agreement expiring, it is the responsibility of landlord and tenant to either re-negotiate terms or terminate the tenancy agreement. Tenants who give written notice to end a fixed term tenancy agreement prior to the expiry date may be held accountable for all costs the landlord incurs in re-renting including lost rent. Landlords may end a tenancy only for specified reasons as set out in the legislation and cannot end a tenancy simply because a fixed term has expired unless the language of the lease specifies the tenant will vacate at the end of the term. When a fixed term tenancy reverts to a month to month tenancy, the landlord cannot force a tenant to sign another lease or agree to another fixed term. When a tenancy agreement is renewed, landlords and tenants may agree to the same or different terms.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle25730028/

quote:

Husky Energy Inc. and MEG Energy Corp. said profits tumbled sharply in the second quarter, as deep budget cuts and falling costs failed to offset the collapse in oil prices.

Calgary-based Husky said Tuesday that its profit for the three months ended June 30 plunged 81 per cent from a year earlier to $120-million. Oil sands producer MEG said profit in the period dropped 75 per cent to $63-million.

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah

gently caress you alberta

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm glad we're on a fixed term because when poo poo happens like the landlords deciding to sell our place we don't need to worry about being out until November if they do sell, especially since basically nothing comes on the market until then so we'd be SOL if we had to move out in like, June.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Unless Canadian law is a lot different from USA, that's not right and the landlord can put anyone out at the end of the next month, rather than the end of the year.

Well, yes. Is it really surprising that Canadian law would be much more tenant friendly than American law? (I'm referring to British Columbia in particular, but I imagine it's similar in other provinces).

For a reference, see e.g. here: http://tenants.bc.ca/evictions/ -- these are the reasons that a landlord can end a month-to-month tenancy, and as long as the tenant is paying their rent and not providing cause, the only one that applies is "TWO MONTH NOTICE TO END TENANCY FOR LANDLORD USE OF PROPERTY", which basically requires you to either sell the property, do substantial renovations, or move in a family member for an extended period of time. You can't get rid of a tenant just because you want to. You also have to provide one month's rent in compensation, even if you have an acceptable reason.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 29, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

A spectre is haunting Shaughnessy — the spectre of Kitsilano.

Several Shaughnessy residents teamed up with realtors at a public hearing Tuesday into the proposed First Shaughnessy Heritage Conservation Area, protesting Vancouver’s plan to stop demolition of pre-1940 houses.

Realtor Peter Saito said the city’s plan would have a huge effect on property values.

“The last four sales in Shaughnessy have priced demolish-able lots at $642 per square foot,” stated Saito, who said he has sold close to close to $100 million of property in Shaughnessy in the past 1½ years.

“I truly believe that in order to sell a rundown pre-1940 house today, we would have to sell it for $400 per square foot.”

Saito noted that under the heritage plan, homeowners would be compensated for possible loss of value by allowing more density, either by adding coach houses or dividing old mansions into strata units.

But he warned that with 318 pre-1940 houses in line for more density, it could dramatically change the elite neighbourhood.

“If you were to increase the density by that much, you will inevitably turn Shaughnessy into Kitsilano No. 2,” he said.

Saito argued that this could set off a “vicious downward spiral that effectively cancels out about 25 per cent of the value of all homes in Shaughnessy.” He feared that in the new, densified Shaughnessy, the post-1940 homes would “become the odd ones out.” And he said homeowners would not be happy.

“A five-carat diamond is worth more than five one-carat diamonds of similar quality,” he said.

“If you decide to cut a five-carat Shaughnessy piece into five Kitsilano townhouses, you will surely lose a lot of intrinsic value. The true value of Shaughnessy is that it is a collection of the biggest pieces of single family houses in this glorious city, a dream for each one of us to work hard towards.”

Nancy Tchou predicted “the banning of demolition will choke the development of First Shaughnessy and the area will deteriorate. There will be a lot more dilapidated eyesores.”

She said that new builds can add “to the heritage character of the neighbourhood.” She offered photos of a new home on Selkirk Avenue that is across the street from Rosemary, a landmark 1915 mansion that is undergoing an extensive restoration.

“You shall be the judge if the pre-1940 Heritage House is better suited to the area than a newer one,” said Tchou.

Heritage advocate Robert McNutt took issue with the idea that older Shaughnessy mansions are teardowns.

“Shaughnessy homes were built with the very finest of building materials,” said McNutt, who works in the architectural antiques industry.

“Many of these homes have architect-designed custom items — imported tiles, lights, stained glass. Craftsmen were imported to do the construction. To say these homes are rickety or built in a substandard way is an out-and-out lie.”

McNutt said that if homeowners want to build a new dream home, there is plenty of property elsewhere.

“I have a customer who built the nicest house I’ve ever stepped into,” he said. “It’s in south Surrey, he spent $50 million. The British Properties has hundreds of undeveloped lots to sell.”

McNutt agreed that old homes can be expensive to maintain, “but most people who buy into old established areas know exactly what they are buying into.

“Nobody puts a gun to your head to buy into Shaughnessy. You buy into here for the old world charm, the grand mansions, big lots, gardens, trees, (and the) serenity of the area. If you have the means to purchase here, you also have the means to do the upkeep and restoration of these great houses.”

Realtor Saito brought some humour into proceedings by using a brown banana as an allegory for an old house.

“I was just about to peel it and eat it, when someone came up to me and I must not eat it because they liked the look of it,” he related.

“They said I could turn it into a banana split and that they would give me another banana if I did that. But I don’t like banana splits, no thank you.”

He said he offered to sell or rent the banana, but was rebuffed. But he was told he would “get into a lot of trouble if I let this banana succumb to the force of nature and rot.

“Things rot,” he said. “That’s nature. Whose banana is it, anyways?”

He ended up giving the brown banana to Councillor Adriane Carr, who had noted rich people in cities like New York don’t seem to have an aversion to living in old buildings.

It drew a big laugh, as did Councillor Tim Stevenson, who presented Saito with a fresh banana.

The public hearing will resume Sept. 15.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11249659

What the gently caress

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CI I normally dont agree with you, but right now Im thinking you are right about Vancouver. Let the city eat itself alive, the people there really do deserve it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'm glad we're on a fixed term because when poo poo happens like the landlords deciding to sell our place we don't need to worry about being out until November if they do sell, especially since basically nothing comes on the market until then so we'd be SOL if we had to move out in like, June.

On the other hand, it would put you in quite the advantageous position if the landlord needed you out in order to sell. You could negotiate compensation for agreeing to end the tenancy early. This very thing happened to me earlier this year in BC.

Tenancy law chat: BC has the platinum grade tenancy protection laws in this country, as far as I've heard. Mordor went much more for the unfettered greed style of tenancy regulation. I suspect other provinces are somewhere in between the two extremes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah, even if for any of these reasons they try to evict you, you can just go to the tenancy board and keep on living there for another 6 months or more. It's largely designed to keep the tenant in their home, to the great annoyance of Daves Goodman and Hutniak.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 29, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

On the other hand, it would put you in quite the advantageous position if the landlord needed you out in order to sell. You could negotiate compensation for agreeing to end the tenancy early. This very thing happened to me earlier this year in BC.

Tenancy law chat: BC has the platinum grade tenancy protection laws in this country, as far as I've heard. Mordor went much more for the unfettered greed style of tenancy regulation. I suspect other provinces are somewhere in between the two extremes.

Yeah, exactly. Luckily the landlords didn't mind us staying while they sell (which is a decision I bet they're happy with seeing as it's been 6+ months and it hasn't sold) but if they did we could have gotten a pretty solid payday.

ray_finkle
Aug 31, 2001
Laces out, Dan!

HookShot posted:

Yeah, exactly. Luckily the landlords didn't mind us staying while they sell (which is a decision I bet they're happy with seeing as it's been 6+ months and it hasn't sold) but if they did we could have gotten a pretty solid payday.

How's the Whistler market this summer (I recall you saying in this thread you're looking at buying)? I moved from there last fall but talking with some people last summer it seemed that prices were going up due to American interest but I wasn't sure if that was just Realtor BS talk. I know this thread is pretty anti-buying in most cases but with Whistler I feel like buying is better (EDIT: in a lot of cases) just due to the lack of reasonable rental stock at not-outrageous prices. That and not dealing with slumlords. I was lucky and I rented a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo in Creekside for $1400 ($700 each) from the parent's of a friend of my roommate but I know that without that hookup we'd be in some illegal dump previously occupied by 15 Australians.

Condo fees are outrageous in Whistler I found. The unit I was in was being sold for ~450k and condo fees were something ridiculous like $700/month for basically snow removal and garbage pickup. Whistler was amazing but so so so expensive.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blah_blah posted:

Well, yes. Is it really surprising that Canadian law would be much more tenant friendly than American law? (I'm referring to British Columbia in particular, but I imagine it's similar in other provinces).

For a reference, see e.g. here: http://tenants.bc.ca/evictions/ -- these are the reasons that a landlord can end a month-to-month tenancy, and as long as the tenant is paying their rent and not providing cause, the only one that applies is "TWO MONTH NOTICE TO END TENANCY FOR LANDLORD USE OF PROPERTY", which basically requires you to either sell the property, do substantial renovations, or move in a family member for an extended period of time. You can't get rid of a tenant just because you want to. You also have to provide one month's rent in compensation, even if you have an acceptable reason.

Interesting, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Calgary’s housing market just starting to feel effects of low oil prices

The effects of falling oil prices are only starting to be felt in Calgary’s housing market, the city’s local real estate board warned, with home prices expected to fall further as unemployment continues to rise.

Resale home prices will likely end the year 0.2 per cent lower for the year, the Calgary Real Estate Board predicted Wednesday in a mid-year forecast. Home sales should end the year 22 per cent lower than 2014.

While the picture emerging is a far cry from a housing crash, the board admitted the city’s economic prospects are much bleaker than it initially expected in January, when it predicted that Calgary home prices would rise by 1.58 per cent this year.

With oil prices falling back below $50 (U.S.) a barrel, the city’s economy “continues to be plagued with a level of uncertainty,” the board said.

Economists now expect Calgary’s economy to contract by 1.2 per cent this year. Calgary has lost nearly 12,000 full-time jobs since January, many of them high paid positions, the board said, while gaining about 24,000 part-time positions. The city could stand to lose an additional 23,000 jobs this year, the board said, citing Conference Board of Canada economic forecasts.

“Employment conditions are expected to worsen and put increased downward pressure on wages,” the board wrote. “When combined with lower levels of migration, it’s expected that these conditions will cause further impacts on the housing sector.”

Home prices have been falling in the city since December as oil prices plunged and sellers rushed to put their homes on the market. The city saw a surge of new listings at the start of the year, but that had tapered off by spring as many homeowners took their unsold properties off the market. With further job losses expected and high levels of new homes under construction across the city, Calgary could see a spike in new listings once again this year.

The benchmark home price, a measure that compares prices of homes with the same features over time, would likely fall to $448,354 by the end of the year, the board said, below its earlier prediction that prices would rise to $456,346 by year’s end. Benchmark prices averaged $455,133 in June.

Detached home sales fell 25 per cent in the first half of the year compared to the same period last year. High-priced homes over $600,000 saw the biggest jump in listings and the largest drop in sales. “Consumers in a must-sell situation will have to carefully consider the price they are willing to accept,” the board wrote.

Vacancy rates have more than doubled from last year, from roughly 1.5 per cent last year to 3.6 per cent today amid rising levels of newly built apartments. The glut of new rental supply has already helped drive the prices of condos down 2 per cent from last year as potential first-time buyers and condo investors sat on the sidelines.

While the board expects housing starts to fall by 31 per cent this year, there are roughly 14,000 new homes now under construction in the city, which could lead to a surge in new listings, helping to drive prices even lower.

“Supply levels in the new home sector and rental markets will likely continue to rise,” the board predicted, “while the rate of decline for resale listings may also ease as the need to sell becomes more prevalent in the later portion of the year.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/calgarys-housing-market-feeling-the-effects-of-falling-oil-prices/article25751226/

Haha get hosed Calgary.