Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
All you need to know about Prop 13 is that the Cato Institute loves it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Repealing it would completely gently caress over the Bay Area. Currently the only way to afford a home in the Bay Area is to 1a) be rich 1b) make a bunch of money in tech or 2) have bought it 30 years ago. Suddenly making property taxes adjust would kick a huge portion of the populace out of their homes. And rent is already sky high.

It's a completely hosed situation all around. The best solution I can think of is to repeal it for businesses but not private homeowners, but that's not very realistic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spite posted:

Repealing it would completely gently caress over the Bay Area. Currently the only way to afford a home in the Bay Area is to 1a) be rich 1b) make a bunch of money in tech or 2) have bought it 30 years ago. Suddenly making property taxes adjust would kick a huge portion of the populace out of their homes. And rent is already sky high.

It's a completely hosed situation all around. The best solution I can think of is to repeal it for businesses but not private homeowners, but that's not very realistic.

Not really, it would be up to local government to decide real estate tax rates and exemptions instead of just proving a big forced tax break for everyone.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Retroactive tax recapture upon sale would be a good band-aid, especially if it included other transfers of ownership and was limited in terms of inheritance (say, an exemption equivalent to the estate tax exclusion).

But yeah, that's pretty unrealistic for the 2016 ballot.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

For their children. Still lovely though.

I don't understand why it's "lovely" given that the families will go on Medi-Cal or Obamacare exchange plans. For example, this quote:

quote:

Arran Phipps is one of those parents who is facing a difficult situation. Some Obamacare plans don't work for his family because Finnegan's diabetes supplies run up a big tab. After doing some research, Phipps discovered that his children didn't qualify for a subsidized insurance plan. They'd have to rely on Medi-Cal or private insurance, which could mean paying thousands of dollars more a year in premiums or switching Finnegan's doctors. Phipps is hoping that Cal's physics department will offer some assistance to offset the higher costs.

baffles me, given that under Medi-Cal the child's supplies and doctor visits will be covered at 100 percent, requiring no deductibles or copays. So the family might have to change doctors? Cry me a river, given that that's what ACA's "insurance reform" has led to for tens of millions of families across the country.

At least the family won't be paying the massive deductibles/copays that those with crappy private subsidized insurance now have to meet each year. It seems that grad students' earning the allowable multiplier of the FPL to qualify for Medi-Cal should be the issue, rather than the fact they have to doctor-shop like, perhaps, everyfuckingone else beholden to the new narrow networks that are pro-forma under the industry-written "reform."

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Boot and Rally posted:

Do you have more information on this? I thought GSRs didn't unionize because they have no leverage. Or, at the very least, their leverage is "we don't work on your grant programs but we also don't graduate", which is not a problem TAs have.

GSRs where I am do the vast bulk of the science that UC uses for prestige. UC research would grind to a halt if the GSRs went on strike. The problem is that when TAs strike, it's really obvious, because students don't get taught or graded and they and their parents, who actually vote make a stink. Your average John Q. California with a child in a UC probably doesn't care too much if paper submissions grind to a halt for a while. Perhaps I misunderstood your second sentence? It sounds like we might be saying the same things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, I know, but:

1) You're asking every homeowner to vote against their own short-term interest.
2) I live in Riverside which is a pressure valve for OC and LA exburbia housing and believe me it didn't solve anyone's problems. You need the right kind of housing.

BTW I do agree their needs to be some pain, I'm just saying I would have had a VERY hard time with doubled property tax payments (an additional 400 dollars a month, to put this in hard numbers) that were unsustainable and happened purely due to a market bubble. A 15% cap on residential would be so, so helpful.

And as everyone else has been saying, you gotta do something about the optics of pricing grandma out of her home.

You could repeal 13 and still have a limit on the amount by which a tax bill can grow year-over-year, though. And, again, if you simply repealed it outright, CA's total property tax revenues would instantly skyrocket. CA would either cut overall tax rates, or increase social spending, or both. A fair repeal of 13 would be revenue-neutral, e.g., it should keep the average Californian's total CA tax bill about the same.

Your scenario doesn't really work anyway: property values couldn't have skyrocketed like that, if tax burdens skyrocketed along with them. People would have been forced to sell, dumping inventory onto the market, reducing prices, reducing the pressure to sell. Prop 13 creates artificial scarcity in housing inventory (because it's a disincentive to sell), which drives up nominal property values due to the way pricing works (as a function of supply vs. demand).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

You know what? You're right.

Incidentally, I wish the EBE didn't suck so much. I remember an article they did once on how much UCB or the city or something were screwing cab drivers, and one of the complaints was that there were no taxi stands around campus.

There are three taxi stands directly adjacent to campus (or were at the time). Cabbies never use them. Why is that? I dunno, maybe an investigative reporter for an alternative weekly could look into it!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leperflesh posted:

property values couldn't have skyrocketed like that, if tax burdens skyrocketed along with them. People would have been forced to sell, dumping inventory onto the market, reducing prices, reducing the pressure to sell.

You are 100% right about this, but unfortunately I think we've just devised a system that boots the poorer people who are least able to afford an increase in property taxes out of their homes as an escape valve. Not great.

Let's not forget your primary residence isn't just a piece of property. It's a home. And again we run into some optics problems. Being forced to sell after you've made a lot of improvements to your home would suck poo poo. My house is currently 250k over what I paid for it, and you know what? I'm not selling it, it's my home and I like it here and I would be mad as hell if I were forced to do that because my neighborhood became the next hot thing in town or w/e.

This is a lot harder to justify with commercial property. If you want to dismantle P13 (and we should) you should start there. Forget residential stuff, it's a loser.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't understand why it's "lovely" given that the families will go on Medi-Cal or Obamacare exchange plans. For example, this quote:

baffles me, given that under Medi-Cal the child's supplies and doctor visits will be covered at 100 percent, requiring no deductibles or copays. So the family might have to change doctors? Cry me a river, given that that's what ACA's "insurance reform" has led to for tens of millions of families across the country.

At least the family won't be paying the massive deductibles/copays that those with crappy private subsidized insurance now have to meet each year. It seems that grad students' earning the allowable multiplier of the FPL to qualify for Medi-Cal should be the issue, rather than the fact they have to doctor-shop like, perhaps, everyfuckingone else beholden to the new narrow networks that are pro-forma under the industry-written "reform."

Speaking of Obamacare in California, 2016 premiums are out. Hope you don't live in Santa Cruz!

In other news:

We may be on track for the biggest El Niño ever, but we could still end up rather dry if the water off the California remains as abnormally warm as it has been the past few winters.

EDIT:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Retroactive tax recapture upon sale would be a good band-aid, especially if it included other transfers of ownership and was limited in terms of inheritance (say, an exemption equivalent to the estate tax exclusion).

But yeah, that's pretty unrealistic for the 2016 ballot.

This is probably the only way you could phase out Prop 13 for residences, and it would be a painful few decades as the recapture further disincentivized home sales. You'd probably have to put a cap on the recapture too (probably relative to a percentage of capital gains from the sale)

And you're still gonna have to fight the "well, I'll own a house some day!" contingent even though pretty much all non-entrepreneurs in the Bay Area never will unless they suck it up and accept commuting from Gilroy or Tracy.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2015

Lunitica
Jan 1, 2007
Before moving to California, I was used to the municipality/state setting a budget and then calculating the mill rate = budget/total assessments. Year over year my p-taxes increased roughly with inflation and the municipality could afford to provide services without going crazy with user pay (building permits are crazy expensive here).

Having purchased in the bay area, P13 meant buying a heap and fixing it up myself to keep the p-taxes lower over the lifetime of my ownership as well probably passing the property onto any children so they can keep the benefits of lower property taxes indefinitely.

I am doing well under P13 even as a recent transplant but I still think it is stupid, and would vote to get rid of it having experienced a different p-tax regime. In addition, I would personally rather have higher property taxes and lower sales taxes, as sales taxes are the most regressive for low income families.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lunitica posted:

Before moving to California, I was used to the municipality/state setting a budget and then calculating the mill rate = budget/total assessments. Year over year my p-taxes increased roughly with inflation and the municipality could afford to provide services without going crazy with user pay (building permits are crazy expensive here).

Having purchased in the bay area, P13 meant buying a heap and fixing it up myself to keep the p-taxes lower over the lifetime of my ownership as well probably passing the property onto any children so they can keep the benefits of lower property taxes indefinitely.

I am doing well under P13 even as a recent transplant but I still think it is stupid, and would vote to get rid of it having experienced a different p-tax regime. In addition, I would personally rather have higher property taxes and lower sales taxes, as sales taxes are the most regressive for low income families.

P13 is dumb since it removes the funding decisions from the local government.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Funding local government from local property taxes is itself dumb: it ensures poor areas stay underserved while rich areas get the best services.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Leperflesh posted:

Funding local government from local property taxes is itself dumb: it ensures poor areas stay underserved while rich areas get the best services.

Working as intended then. :suicide:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

Working as intended then. :suicide:

It works on the state level, too! But "states rights" abloo bloo bloo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

California would be great if we'd just stop letting Californians directly vote on laws.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

Do you have more information on this? I thought GSRs didn't unionize because they have no leverage. Or, at the very least, their leverage is "we don't work on your grant programs but we also don't graduate", which is not a problem TAs have.

It's a little hard to find a good article about it, but as I understand it the GSRs are classified as students instead of employees and thus do not have a right to unionize. Here's a 2012 article about Jerry Brown vetoing a bill to extend the right to unionize to GSRs.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
"gently caress you bicyclists obey the law and stop at every stop sign" --San Franciscans to bicyclists

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Idaho stops are a good idea.
Also, the people who get all made about bikes braking the law never seem to get up in arms about violations of cvc 21760 or california stops not involving bikes.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'd be thrilled to see California stops by bicyclists rather than blowing completely through stop signs.

I bike, I get that stopping at stop signs costs you momentum, but it's a safety thing.

Edit: The Wigg guy came across like he thought all drivers are murderous psychopaths out for bicyclist blood

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 1, 2015

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I think we get a little too overprotective with safety-intended regulations sometimes. I bike and it just seems stupid to stop at a stop sign so that somebody in a car can then wait as I slowly, excruciatingly, build up momentum and get out of their way.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

nm posted:

Idaho stops are a good idea.
Also, the people who get all made about bikes braking the law never seem to get up in arms about violations of cvc 21760 or california stops not involving bikes.

Most bikes I see completely ignore the basic rule of first to stop first to go at stop signs, nobody gives a poo poo if they're not actually coming to a full stop.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'd be thrilled to see California stops by bicyclists rather than blowing completely through stop signs.

I bike, I get that stopping at stop signs costs you momentum, but it's a safety thing.

Edit: The Wigg guy came across like he thought all drivers are murderous psychopaths out for bicyclist blood

As a bicyclist myself (not in SF) I am strongly partial to California/Idaho stops. If SF wants to ticket people for blowing past stops without even slowing or looking both ways or for doing nothing poo poo like

AngryBooch posted:

Most bikes I see completely ignore the basic rule of first to stop first to go at stop signs, nobody gives a poo poo if they're not actually coming to a full stop.

I'm all for that because that's actually really unsafe!

But expecting a complete stop is kind of ridiculous when you consider the stopping distance of a bicycle going at 3-5 MPH combined with the increased visibility not being in a metal box gives you.

We should maybe try to use traffic cops to enforce good "common-sense" bicycle safety measures instead of using them to enforce safety measures written for 2,000lb cars!

I'm more irritated at the wonderful comments that hand-wring saying things like

• but idaho isn't dense like san francisco so we cant allow things like this
  • i drive a tractor trailer and i stop even in the middle of the night so bikes should stop in the daytime
  • whoa now the word 'yield' isn't the word 'stop' so, as a driver who doesn't understand the word 'yield', that makes me angry because that obviously means i would apparently have to give bikes the right of way at all times (even though i wouldn't have to, nor would i, if it was a car who had a 'yield')

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 1, 2015

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bast Relief posted:

I bike and it just seems stupid to stop at a stop sign so that somebody in a car can then wait as I slowly, excruciatingly, build up momentum and get out of their way.

This doesn't make sense. If the car was already there you should be stopping, even under the Idaho stop you have to yield.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This doesn't make sense. If the car was already there you should be stopping, even under the Idaho stop you have to yield.

I think they're supposing that they are going slow enough, close enough to the intersection, that, if they were to follow the letter of the law, they would have already stopped at the intersection while the car was still approaching a stop, and where, according to standard right of way rules, they, on the bike, would go first.

If there's any chance that the two are close enough that you might have a yield-to-your-right situation though, I agree that a proper stop is warranted.

vvv Easy, until a cop on a motorcycle pulls you over for doing so and gives you a $200+ ticket, apparently. vvv

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 1, 2015

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
If there's no other cars, blow through it. If someone else is there, stop and don't be an rear end in a top hat. How hard is that? I do it all the time. Put it in a low gear and your lost momentum negligible. Unless you're in like 7th grade and have a fixie, I guess.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Just don't be like a guy I know and end up in San Quintin because you don't stop on your bike at the bottom of a hill and killed a dude.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Just don't be like a guy I know and end up in San Quintin because you don't stop on your bike at the bottom of a hill and killed a dude.

I was going full speed down the hill toward Castro/Market. There was an old lady in a PT Cruiser who was sure I was going to zip right in front of her, so she hadn't accelerated even though she had a green light. Because I'm not suicidal, braked at the end. Then I smiled at the little old lady in her goofy old lady car.

Then she flipped me off.

Can't win for losing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zesty Mordant posted:

Unless you're in like 7th grade and have a fixie, I guess.
Well, this is San Francisco, where fixies somehow became popular despite one of the hilliest terrains in an urban environment there is.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TildeATH posted:

I was going full speed down the hill toward Castro/Market. There was an old lady in a PT Cruiser who was sure I was going to zip right in front of her, so she hadn't accelerated even though she had a green light. Because I'm not suicidal, braked at the end. Then I smiled at the little old lady in her goofy old lady car.

Then she flipped me off.

Can't win for losing.

That's the same intersection the guy I know killed someone at. So good on ya for stopping!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Spite posted:

It would also cause a big drop in home value. Probably the only sustainable way to do it is to repeal prop 13 and have your property tax bill return to what it should be over time. Make it so that it can't increases by 10% a year until you reach the true value.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My experience with cars at stop lights is a car will get the the light a full three seconds before you get there and then just stay parked. You slow down, stop, put down a foot, they gingerly wave you through the intersection and then you get back up to speed because they're too stupid to know the rules of the road.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
One of the major issues with allowing cyclists to treat stop signs as yields is that this creates uncertainty for other roadway users.

Bicycles cannot quickly accelerate or decelerate, nor can they swerve to avoid obstructions and maintain the same trajectory. Where collisions occur within an intersection are called "conflict points" in traffic engineering (where movement paths cross), and bicycles are particularly in danger here precisely because they have difficulty avoiding these conflict points or adjusting their path of travel if conditions suddenly change or the other roadway users don't behave as expected in the intersection.

This makes it even more important for cyclists to treat the stop as a stop. By behaving in a predictable way at a stop-controlled intersection, other roadway users can more easily anticipate the cyclist's movements and take them safely into account and the intersection can operate in a more smooth manner.

Bicycle-related traffic enforcement is typically woefully underserved, and in so doing tends to create resentment against the cyclist community, so this is a much-needed campaign that I hope brings better compliance long-term.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

One of the major issues with allowing cyclists to treat stop signs as yields is that this creates uncertainty for other roadway users.

Bicycles cannot quickly accelerate or decelerate, nor can they swerve to avoid obstructions and maintain the same trajectory. Where collisions occur within an intersection are called "conflict points" in traffic engineering (where movement paths cross), and bicycles are particularly in danger here precisely because they have difficulty avoiding these conflict points or adjusting their path of travel if conditions suddenly change or the other roadway users don't behave as expected in the intersection.

This makes it even more important for cyclists to treat the stop as a stop. By behaving in a predictable way at a stop-controlled intersection, other roadway users can more easily anticipate the cyclist's movements and take them safely into account and the intersection can operate in a more smooth manner.

Bicycle-related traffic enforcement is typically woefully underserved, and in so doing tends to create resentment against the cyclist community, so this is a much-needed campaign that I hope brings better compliance long-term.

Except this has been shown to be untrue.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bip Roberts posted:

Except this has been shown to be untrue.

Source: I am a licensed transportation engineer who practices in the Bay Area.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The main thing cyclists do that annoys me is going the wrong way down one-way streets. There's a one-way up a steep hill by my gym, it's super narrow and already has a bike lane on one side so there's tons of uphill bike traffic, and loving idiots come bombing down that hill on bikes. I honk at them and the reaction is pretty much always to give me the finger.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Granted, I would prefer to see more single-mode facilities for cyclists; ie bike paths - the California Highway Design Manual refers to these as Class 1 bike facilities (or the new so-called Class 4 which'll probably make it into the next revision). And that the local municipalities do a poor job of laying out bike lanes (Class 2) in such a way as to protect them from the (car) travel lane via a parking lane.

But bike facilities have excellent implementation here, and a sizeable contingent of commuters are on bicycles nowadays. This is even reflected in the current California driver's exam, which I'm happy to say has had cyclist-interaction questions on it for a few years now. And although education is an important aspect, traffic enforcement has needed to step it up for quite some time regarding cyclists.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Having rid around in the grid in Sac, it just didn't seem that hard to navigate on bike that any sort of additional laws would be necessary. Where I'm at now is so bike unfriendly that I don't even try.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Papercut posted:

The main thing cyclists do that annoys me is going the wrong way down one-way streets. There's a one-way up a steep hill by my gym, it's super narrow and already has a bike lane on one side so there's tons of uphill bike traffic, and loving idiots come bombing down that hill on bikes. I honk at them and the reaction is pretty much always to give me the finger.

Nothing drives me, as a cyclist, more insane than cyclists going the wrong way in the bike lane. This should be a very focused target for enforcement, along with people riding bikes through crosswalks (and pedestrians) because they're too afraid to turn left. It is so, so dangerous and it makes people justifiably angry at cyclists.

Separated (Class 1) lanes really are the best, though, not only for safety but also because you have a reasonable chance of being able to pass people on cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

But this is a fairly auto-centric view. The problem from the bicyclist's point of view is exactly the same thing you call out. Because bicyclists accelerate and decelerate slowly, there's an obvious mechanical advantage to avoiding as many stops as possible, which is why there is exactly the tendency to not stop (particularly because, unlike a car, which hides the mechanical costs of accelerating and decelerating from the driver, the bicyclist has to deal with the acceleration every stop in a very physical way).

In other words, while demanding that bicyclists stop at every stop sign may be the most efficient mechanism in terms of traffic engineering, you neglect the human component of the equation in so far as a strict regime of enforcement disincentivizes bicycling to work with all the corresponding knock-on effects that induces (increased automobile traffic, etc.) while failing to decrease the undesired behavior much below an effective minimum (many bicyclists aren't going to just shape up because they're given tickets).

Keeping in mind that a perfect solution is basically out of reach (there's no way fully-segregated bike paths across San Francisco with few/no grade crossings will happen any time soon, and asking bicyclists to take streets with lights on them instead doesn't work when lights aren't timed well for the wide variety of bicycle speeds, never mind the increased automobile traffic on those same streets), the only plausible compromise approach is to permit some form of Idaho stop or California stop for bicycles, possibly on an intersection-by-intersection basis based on the expected amount of automotive traffic through them, combined with a very strong enforcement and education component for bicyclists to account for the lost efficiency and increased uncertainty at these intersections. (Imagine, if you will, some signage which both warns drivers that a particular stop is a bicycle yield, and maybe conversely lets bicyclists know that it's safe to proceed if no cars are coming, combined with hard enforcement of stops outside of those areas and careful enforcement of California stop behavior at them)

Unfortunately, we're only seeing the enforcement component, and it's not even being done as part of a reasonable compromise that gives bicyclists something in exchange. Instead, automobiles continue to hold same inherent advantages on the streets they have always had.

EDIT:

bartlebyshop posted:

This should be a very focused target for enforcement, along with people riding bikes through crosswalks (and pedestrians) because they're too afraid to turn left. It is so, so dangerous and it makes people justifiably angry at cyclists.

If you're crossing the street at a crosswalk, get off the drat bike, especially if it's not a wide one. It's the fricking law for a reason.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 1, 2015