Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

moudis posted:

Bonus Aprilia note: those intake boots are backordered with no ETA. They fit every Aprilia ever made with a Rotax engine. What the gently caress. At any rate, used boots ordered, they'll have to do.

It's summer, you'll have to wait until after vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

moudis posted:

Found the last vacuum leak on my Aprilia Futura.

Intake boots are rotting to pieces. I've already replaced every vacuum line on the bike. All of the originals are made of some kind of plastic. Just like plastic, they rotted straight through from heat and age.
Bonus Aprilia note: those intake boots are backordered with no ETA. They fit every Aprilia ever made with a Rotax engine. What the gently caress. At any rate, used boots ordered, they'll have to do.

They all do that. I skimcoated mine with RTV.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What kind of rtv did you use?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've used black (for looks) and also red (for heat, but really because I didn't have black). Both have worked well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

What kind of rtv did you use?

Black :)

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

They all do that. I skimcoated mine with RTV.

If I'd had RTV lying around, I probably would have done the same.

clutchpuck posted:

It's summer, you'll have to wait until after vacation.

I've joked about that in the past, but I think this is the first time it's bit me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

I've used black (for looks) and also red (for heat, but really because I didn't have black). Both have worked well.

They're both good to 650F so slather that poo poo on!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Hunting for an oil leak, thought it was a gasket I needed to replace so I ordered that and then I discovered the bolts holding the engine case together were loose. Like, easily unscrew by hand loose for one of them and unscrew by hand loose for three more. :wtc:

At least now I have a spare gasket, I guess? Speaking of RTV, is there a reason not to use that instead of buying gaskets?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

Not something I did to my bike, but I mounted a wall anchor on a pillar in my apartment's parking garage for my Duke. Last year, KTMs were the most-stolen 'normal' bikes. Looks like someone's whole Zundapp collection got stolen too.

'Terug' means returned, 'wagenpark' total amount. 'Zelfbouw' is custom built. 'Diefstalrisico' is risk of theft. So less than 2000 Buells in the country, and nobody steals Triumphs.

On KTM, I can think of a few reasons they score so high. First, it's easy to make the enduro and SMC bikes disappear into the offroad/racing circuit. And maybe they're owned by younger people that don't have the means to secure them very well. Or it's just that they're hooligan bikes, which includes hooligans that don't mind nicking other peoples' poo poo.

The recovery rate on the Syms is brilliant, like even thieves get a hundred yards on them and go "Wait, this isn't even worth stealing".

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Stripped a Phillips screw head on the front brake reservoir that I don't have a spare of.

I'm really liking my preventive maintenance schedule, sure I was going to replace my front brake pads, but I don't really need to yet, I can still ride this weekend without stressing out to get the right one to be able to hit the road after work tomorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You really want an impact driver to knock those out if they've been overtorqued.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

You really want an impact driver to knock those out if they've been overtorqued.
outdoors ever.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yup, gonna dremel a slot in it and use an impact driver with a slot head bit. Just need some spare 2x12 machine screw with flat head to replace it with.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Autozone also sells left hand drill bits. Those things can be magical.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

builds character posted:

Hunting for an oil leak, thought it was a gasket I needed to replace so I ordered that and then I discovered the bolts holding the engine case together were loose. Like, easily unscrew by hand loose for one of them and unscrew by hand loose for three more. :wtc:

At least now I have a spare gasket, I guess? Speaking of RTV, is there a reason not to use that instead of buying gaskets?

You might find in engine cases that the thickness of a gasket is crucial to some internal engine clearances. I once did this to my SRX and found that the shift shaft rubbed on the outer casing due to the tiny thickness difference between my RTV goop and the real thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
More loving wiring.

err more unfucking wiring rather.

Speakerwire and HF bullet connectors have no place on a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
GOT MY FRONT WHEEL BACK with my new Metzeler Tourance Next. Now I can stop panicking. I thought these were a new model of tire but the date code on mine is from early '13. Weird. Whatever. I put it on the bike, installed a bigger touring windscreen that I am pretty sure I'm going to hate, and put on the 3-piece Ulysses luggage. For not having much space, these ovoid clamshells are pretty big. But a top case will be real nice regardless of how much I can cram.

Also cleaned my front brake rotor. The ZTL is prone to pulsing if it's dirty; it was dirty when I took it off and way dirtier back from the shop. Note to self: learn to shuck tires for myself.

Noticed a clunk coming from the bottom of the right-side fork leg when I compress the suspension and hold the brake. I'm pretty sure it's the pad moving a little in the caliper, but some search results indicate it's a normal noise coming from a bushing or something inside the fork. Not gonna worry about; don't notice anything while riding.

Impression of tires now that the pair is on (I'll probably tell you more about my last pair here because that's my point of reference): if I were to do it again I'd get Pilot Road 4s. Those tires (on a Uly at least) will tip in without much input and provide more and more resistance to lean as I lean it. Nice progressive feel. The Metzelers are kind of opposite. They take more input to initiate a lean but then just fall in once it starts. I feel like these are going to be a wrestling match to correct my line mid-corner. The reviews indicated they are a fast handling tire, but the input I need to apply to push it over is way more than I expected.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Noticed a clunk coming from the bottom of the right-side fork leg when I compress the suspension and hold the brake. I'm pretty sure it's the pad moving a little in the caliper, but some search results indicate it's a normal noise coming from a bushing or something inside the fork. Not gonna worry about; don't notice anything while riding.

Mine does this too, if I quickly jab the brake I can make it go clunk-clunk-clunk, and it's not the steering head bearings.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Armed with an ebay Haynes manual, a few PDFs of tutorials and a reckless disregard for using my downtime for relaxing I've started work on the fuel system/carbs on the CBR ('96 F3). Great bike overall, lots of fun on the road and gloriously 90s looking. Only has 9k on it and the PO (friend of mine) put a lot of time in effort into bringing it back to life.

Fuel system got gummed up while I was laid up for a few months with some health issues. It's my first time dealing with a carbed bike so this will no doubt be an adventure. As an added bonus, I'm doing all of this in my building's parking garage, opting for the forgiveness vs. permission approach. Thus far as long as I throw a cover on it when I'm not working on it and clean up all my crab nobody seems to care.

Siphoned the vast majority of the fuel out of the tank and got it off the bike pretty easily and unfortunately had a fuel hose split on me in the process. Replacements for all of the hoses from tank to carbs are now on order. Learned in this process that "Off" on this particular 20 year old petcock is a very broad term. Dribbles like it needs a prostate check and it was pointed out this may have had a hand in fuel system fuckery while it sat. Suffice to say I was bathed in dead dinosaurs throughout this whole process until I could get the tank off and propped into a position. New petcock on order, fan appropriated for workspace.

So let's skip ahead to the carbs, brilliantly designed for maximum efficiency of space by the dark lord himself. Lots of swearing ensued until at last I was able to get a screwdriver to the clamps. I've got them pretty damned loose and I still haven't gotten the damned things to budge. After much frustration and probably an excess of gas fumes I decided to take a break and post up in the Questions Thread. Suggestions were given and attempt #2 begins tomorrow. In the meantime, took the battery in for testing while I had the bike apart and it turns out it has a bad cell. New battery and new inline fuel filter purchased because hey why not.

Hopefully updating with a victory post sometime this weekend. Old bikes are fun!

Casualties To Date:
Fuel line from petcock to filter
Old battery
Some of the weaker brain cells (thanks, lovely garage ventilation)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Mine does this too, if I quickly jab the brake I can make it go clunk-clunk-clunk, and it's not the steering head bearings.

Further investigation suggests that if it's not my brake, this is a typical feature of Showa USD forks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The_Maz posted:

the CBR ('96 F3).

That's one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Ditch the in line fuel filter and get a new petcock or at least rebuild yours and make sure it has a good sock on the one in the tank. I may actually still have one in my garage. remind me to check on Monday.
Get yourself a jet kit and a k&n.
The carbs shouldn't be hard to get off. Your boots may be hardened... spray some wd40 around them and use a crowbar wrapped in a towel to gently pry them of. Also make sure that your clamps are loosened.

Srsly tho... pm me and remind me to look for that petcock. You pay shipping and it's yours.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Further investigation suggests that if it's not my brake, this is a typical feature of Showa USD forks.

Oh word? My gsxr front end does the same thing, it had me worried.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, evidently some internal bushing can make noise. I found some discussions on the Ninjer and Boosa communities about the same thing.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, evidently some internal bushing can make noise. I found some discussions on the Ninjer and Boosa communities about the same thing.

What to me suggested it's the pads is the fact that, in my case, the clunking is worse if I alternate rocking the bike back and forward while hitting the brake. Just repeatedly pushing it forward leads to less noise.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I mounted fork and swingarm sliders on the Duke, well they're more like cups than sliders in design. The fork sliders fit fine, the rears sliders didn't fit well at all and I had to modify one of them to fit. Strangely, this page talks about the pads not fitting but somehow he's got the slider that fit fine for me on the sprocket side on the brake disc side; the slider I had issues with would never, ever fit on the sprocket side. Maybe they just send you a random selection of sliders.

Edit: also, I took off the silencer. People said that with the normal midpipe/cat and an Akra (or other) exhaust it's really not that much louder than stock, while with the midpipe replaced it's unbearably loud. So I went ahead and took off the stock silencer while keeping the cat, it sounds great for something that didn't cost one cent, not super loud but it's bassy instead of farty now.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 31, 2015

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Technically I guess not really what I did. More like utilized free child (niece) labor.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hammergrips dude made me a custom tank pad, since apparently my shortness means my gear scuffs the tank all the way up to the bend.

before and after

Looks a little lame, but what can ya do.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Prefer before, don't mind after.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Now you're just ready for sw8 stunts on the tank, yo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEOOOriMky0

gently caress yes it (sort of) runs.

FCR39 float was being a oval office and pissing everywhere.
POs awesome wiring left the cdi not working.

^2-3 hours of futzing with the above I crammed the CV40 from the klr in and fucker starts on the first kick. I'll go back sometime next week to break the cams in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Hammergrips dude made me a custom tank pad, since apparently my shortness means my gear scuffs the tank all the way up to the bend.

before and after

Looks a little lame, but what can ya do.

I'd be tempted to just extend it all the way up to the head, or at least wrap it around the filler. Make it look like an actual feature rather than necessity.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out to the dealer, finally got my goddamn right side mirror. Also put the Kriega straps on for a test fitting, going to try and load it up with beer run shortly and see how it behaves.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got a loving BEE STING just under my adams apple while riding at 70kph, how the gently caress does that even happen? That sonuvabitch hit me so perfectly.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

Even with its metamorphosis into a project bike I still love it. And now I can admire its 90s paint job via the fairings piled around my tiny rear end apartment!

WD40 + deft crowbar work worked like a charm. Thanks to you and the goons in the questions thread for steering me that direction. Neighbors that were unloading their car in the next aisle gave me a weird look for performing an end zone celebration when they finally popped off. Today I also learned that your hands can go pruney from an excess of sweat in nitrile gloves :science:

Tomorrow we explore the mystery of the jets and see what treasures lurk within the pilot circuit the PO admits to not cleaning.

GnarlyCharlie That would be rad if you have that spare petcock hanging around. I'll get at you in PM about that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The_Maz posted:

Even with its metamorphosis into a project bike I still love it. And now I can admire its 90s paint job via the fairings piled around my tiny rear end apartment!

WD40 + deft crowbar work worked like a charm. Thanks to you and the goons in the questions thread for steering me that direction. Neighbors that were unloading their car in the next aisle gave me a weird look for performing an end zone celebration when they finally popped off. Today I also learned that your hands can go pruney from an excess of sweat in nitrile gloves :science:

Tomorrow we explore the mystery of the jets and see what treasures lurk within the pilot circuit the PO admits to not cleaning.

GnarlyCharlie That would be rad if you have that spare petcock hanging around. I'll get at you in PM about that.

Yeah if you don't take the gloves off every hour or two, your hands get pretty nasty. After 12 hours they turn into albino rasins.

Congrats on your success. Seriously though, get yourself a nice exhaust, k&n, and Dynojet (probably stage 2) jet kit. Then get a set of F4 or F4i cams and degree them properly and you'll have all the bike you'll ever want. It sounds like a lot of involved work but it's really not. If you lived close I'd do it for a 6-pack of good beer.
I blew the fairings off of GSXR750's and Kawasaki ninjas with my setup.

Edit: oh yeah if you do go the cam route, please for the love of god check your valve clearances. You have a fairly newish (low miles) motor so it probably won't be much of an issue, but still.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 1, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Cycle Asylum: God damned shorties scuffing up my tank

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Woo! safety restored;

Scrubbed up my severed side stand switch to look less like a turd and bought a wire stripper & packet of crimp connectors, hosed up one of the connectors of which there were only two of that type and gauge in the whole set, so I had to use the next one up. Taped that poo poo together and zip tied it to the frame, now the engine properly cuts out when you give it gas with the stand down.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Track prep! New tire + safety wire

Won't be long now, accursed chicken strips :owned:

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Last week, the engine was disassembled on my coffee table. Flywheel/stator ate each other and clogged one of the oil pumps with glitter. I had to replace the connecting rod and a bunch of bearings. Should have checked the oil drain plugs before I bought the thing. I also removed all the electric start components, except the starter (it keeps the oil in.)

Today I paid my mechanic a visit so he could make sure I did a good job before I bring the bike with me on vacation.

I also put that little orange rubber thingy on my shifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You could probably find an automotive block plug to tap into the hole the starter is occupying.