Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Game shoulda been set in New Orleans. Imagine Fallout in the Bayou :clint:

Wasn't this pretty much the premise of Point Lookout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was actually 2077, MORON

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

Wasn't this pretty much the premise of Point Lookout?

Yeah, it was a decent DLC and shooting swampfolks was fun

I wouldn't mind doing it again in a new location

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

RentACop posted:

The big war in the Fallout series didn't start till 2077 yall.

Is this a Fallout 3 retcon thing or did I totally miss it in the earlier games? gently caress me

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JackBadass posted:

Will seeing the grand canyon in a video game move you as much as seeing the real grand canyon with your own eyes? Of course not. What I'm talking about is more the difference between setting the game in a Jurassic Park full of Terminators and setting the game in a nursing home with an old guy who can't eat soup without letting it drool down his face like a baby.

The first one doesn't sound interesting, and the second one at least sounds novel. Was...that what you were going for?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

So many people think '1950s' aesthetic literally means 'happened in 1950s', just let them pass on by in their bliss

It's starting to get to me

2house2fly posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about :tinfoil:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

2house2fly posted:

Actually, it was Saturday, October 23, 2077.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

The first one doesn't sound interesting, and the second one at least sounds novel.

:troll:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

The first one doesn't sound interesting, and the second one at least sounds novel. Was...that what you were going for?

In Fallout 5 you will be confined to a Vault Nursing home, having to get around with one of those wheelie prop things. Also the Nemesis system from that LotR game will be added as other old vault folks get pissed off at you

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Is this a Fallout 3 retcon thing or did I totally miss it in the earlier games? gently caress me

It kinda was in them, but mostly in the background, like how computers worked on futuristic not-magnetic tapes and tranzistors, the first game's intro even had cheesy black-n-white TV advertisements.

But the third game went full-on with the 50's look, for the better if you ask me, since it made the game more than just Mad Max the video game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bholder posted:

It kinda was in them, but mostly in the background, like how computers worked on futuristic not-magnetic tapes and tranzistors, the first game's intro even had cheesy black-n-white TV advertisements.

But the third game went full-on with the 50's look, for the better if you ask me, since it made the game more than just Mad Max the video game.

I meant the 2077 thing, not the 50s aesthetic.

e: And back to real game talk, I haven't really been following the FO4 news - I'm assuming it will have a mod scene like FO3/NV? They're not going to close it up to modded content?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 29, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

They said there will be an editor just like GECK but will be released later

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

WarLocke posted:

e: And back to real game talk, I haven't really been following the FO4 news - I'm assuming it will have a mod scene like FO3/NV? They're not going to close it up to modded content?

Yeah, it was always a thing. The war didn't happen in the 50s, it happened in a comic book version of what people in the 50s pictured the future would be like.

It was a weird retro future 21st century.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

WarLocke posted:

"In 2077 the storm of world war would come again..."

Yes, most of the big war details were already established in the original games but I think the most detailed description is from the Fallout Bible.

Oh and mods are confirmed, they will be free (for now)and they will be also available for console players somehow.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

WarLocke posted:

Of course there's going to be mods, what else will people give them money for between DLCs?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout 4 will introduce us a first in the history of gaming: mod piracy

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shows how long it's been since I watched the FO1 intro. :saddowns:

2house2fly posted:

Of course there's going to be mods, what else will people give them money for between DLCs?

Holy poo poo was the backlash the first time someone tried paid mods not big enough?

Literally the only way people would ever pay for mods is if no editor was ever released/engineered and the 'mods' came solely from the developer.

frajaq posted:

I'm still waiting for a company to open a class-action suit on everybody who owns a PC but does not own their new game, because not buying their game is depriving them of profits.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

frajaq posted:

You wouldn't download hyper realistic horse genitals.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm looking forward to the player-made main character voice overs. Both the good and the really, really bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poo poo. I thought this was coming out on Veterans Day.
I took the wrong day off!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo was the backlash the first time someone tried paid mods not big enough?

Literally the only way people would ever pay for mods is if no editor was ever released/engineered and the 'mods' came solely from the developer.

Don't worry, it's just the thread being terrible again. Bethesda has said they're doing a GECK again and also said they have no plans for paid mods. Even if you want to take the worst interpretation possible for "no plans" that means free mods will still be a thing.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

7c Nickel posted:

Don't worry, it's just the thread being terrible again. Bethesda has said they're doing a GECK again and also said they have no plans for paid mods. Even if you want to take the worst interpretation possible for "no plans" that means free mods will still be a thing.

Mods will be free, but they'll need to be submitted for approval before being made available for download. At least on the console versions. That means no mole rat boobs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I dunno, Skyrim's over 3 years old and the paid mods made Valve $10k+ in the few days they were up. A new game could go gangbusters.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

That's what the :nexus: is for

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

WarLocke posted:

In Fallout 5 you will be confined to a Vault Nursing home, having to get around with one of those wheelie prop things. Also the Nemesis system from that LotR game will be added as other old vault folks get pissed off at you

John the Scooter-Racer and Edward Steadyfoot are dueling in the rec-room for control of the radio while Cleveland Jello-Eater leads a hunting party looking for more jello.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

WarLocke posted:

I'm pretty sure the exact date was given in a holotape in Fallout 1. It's also an alternate history that diverged shortly after the end of WWII. Interplay hosed up and put post-WWII real-world guns in FO2 but Avelone is on record saying that was a mistake, that's why none of those guns show up in FO3 or NV. Also, it's not just history that's different; science is a 50's future version of real science, which is how radiation can create ghouls, why nukes are so weirdly under-powered, and why radioactive fallout is so persistent.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

I'm pretty sure the exact date was given in a holotape in Fallout 1. It's also an alternate history that diverged shortly after the end of WWII. Interplay hosed up and put post-WWII real-world guns in FO2 but Avelone is on record saying that was a mistake, that's why none of those guns show up in FO3 or NV. Also, it's not just history that's different; science is a 50's future version of real science, which is how radiation can create ghouls, why nukes are so weirdly under-powered, and why radioactive fallout is so persistent.

There are post WW2 guns in New Vegas; the Marksman Carbine is from the 70s and the Anti Materiel Rifle is from the 90s, according to IMFDB.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Guardian Interviews Todd

quote:

“We all have bad things that happen in our lives, and a lot of us wonder how we can go back to before the event, whatever it is. Fallout 4 is about realising that your life has a new normal. We want to put you in the shoes of someone who knows what life was like before this.

“For the other people in the world, this is all they know – it’s normal to them. But the player character is coming in with a sense of the world beforehand. That kind of emotion plays heavily in our story. Any time we can connect the character on screen with the player – any time you both feel the same way – that’s great.”

quote:

Elsewhere, Howard says that Fallout 4 is set to learn from the emergent questing system used in Skyrim, which provided emergent tasks for the player. “I can’t spoil it, but we’re doing a better job than we’ve ever done,” he says. We do know there will be romantic possibilities with the game’s human helper characters, of which there are 12, including a journalist named Piper and Preston Garvey, leader of a group named the Commonwealth Minutemen.

Emergent companion quests?

quote:

Howard won’t elaborate on how that will work, but for players who want to make more love than war, the game will meet them at least halfway. “You can avoid [killing] a lot,” he says. “I can’t tell you that you can play the whole game without violence – that’s not necessarily a goal of ours – but we want to support different play styles as much as we can.”

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 29, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't need to be put in the shoes of someone who knows what life was like before the apocalypse. I'm already in the shoes of someone who knows what life was like before the apocalypse, because I'm someone who is currently living before the apocalypse.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with the Minecraft Modding community.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

2house2fly posted:

I don't need to be put in the shoes of someone who knows what life was like before the apocalypse. I'm already in the shoes of someone who knows what life was like before the apocalypse, because I'm someone who is currently living before the apocalypse.

T. Howard has compared post-Roe v. Wade society to an "apocalypse", so that's probably what he means when he says he wants us to put on a pair of pre-apocalyptic 1950's shoes.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

2house2fly posted:

What was it like to fight the Chinese in Alaska? Are flying robots noisy in person?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

2house2fly posted:

There are post WW2 guns in New Vegas; the Marksman Carbine is from the 70s and the Anti Materiel Rifle is from the 90s, according to IMFDB.

They're based on post-WWII guns visually but they aren't the same as their real-world equivalent. The guns in FO2 had the same name and everything.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

JackBadass posted:

What was it like to fight the Chinese in Alaska? Are flying robots noisy in person?

I'm not in the military so I haven't been around enemy soldiers of any description, or drones.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Todd Howard, known to some Native American tribes as 'the Skinwalker'.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rutibex posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with the Minecraft Modding community.

You're correct. I dare not ask the details about the Minecraft Modding community about piracy

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Constant Hamprince posted:

Todd Howard, known to some Native American tribes as 'the Skinwalker'.

Todd Howard stepped over a crowd in Malaysia, incensing the audience by showing them the soles of his feet. When informed of this egregious error (and while still on stage) he bitterly remarked, "There are more disgusting parts of my body; maybe I should show you all one of those?"

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

The Article posted:

With a toy car and a lamp, for example, you’re able to add a sniper scope to a basic rifle.

...now I kinda wanna see a comic of someone trying to do that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

JackBadass posted:

I just hope the DLC takes you someplace a little less boring than Boston.

I know this is from a page ago, but angry Bostonian here.

You've got MIT, Harvard, Harvard Square, you've got the Prudential Center, you've got a much more interesting subway system than DC. You've got Chinatown and Fenway, you've got the Museum of Science and the Children's Museum, you've got Fanueil Hall, you've got the Aquarium. Boston Library is pretty cool. You've got some old rear end graveyards.

Basically there's a lot of NEW ENGLAND poo poo you can pile on top of actual landmarks and it would be pretty cool. Granted they're not as iconic as like, the Statue of Liberty or anything but they're pretty famous landmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

The Guardian Interviews Todd

Emergent companion quests?

Even actual Todd Howard interviews read like Cream-of-Plenty jokeposts

• Locked thread