Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
So theres this game called Aberoth, its like an indie MMO aping Ultima Online.

I'm still a new player, but so far I have:

1. Hoovered up gold from other people's trades, then escaped and claimed it wasn't me.
2. Sold a guy a sword with my name engraved on it, used the fact that he had an item with my name on it to induce a crowd to lynch him.
3. Built a staircase to heaven out of leather shoes over the orc caves, told a guy it was a safe way to get to the boss to wait for enough players to show up to kill him. Removed the lynchpin shoe dropping him into a pit of orcs. Took his gold and claimed that an NPC had spawned without a weapon and picked one up from the pile. Said the orcs had his gear and he had to kill them to get him back.

4. Repeatedly used "I got killed in a dungeon, would you please help me get my gear back?" to get other players to commit suicide by NPC

5. The game has 2 kinds of pvp- duels and real pvp. I challenged people to duels, because its harmless, beat them, which left them alive but with 1 hp, then had my lower level friend activate pvp mode and poke them with his dagger, killing them and taking the blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
https://plus.google.com/+IainMcC/posts/YjQiPjuk58w

Someone was out exploring for 2 months. Wanted a gun salute with ships and one blew him up losing the explore data.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He just had information right? Why doesn't the game just let you transmit it?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol no elite dangerous is a garbage game that will never be anything good for a long time

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Cojawfee posted:

You have to land at a station to turn it in.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Cojawfee posted:

MY IMMERSION

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Cojawfee posted:

The game does a lot of things that are complicated for the sake of being complicated like it has no autopilot so you have to manually time your FTL jumps and also it'll jump you into suns if you're not good at it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

mpyro posted:

https://plus.google.com/+IainMcC/posts/YjQiPjuk58w

Someone was out exploring for 2 months. Wanted a gun salute with ships and one blew him up losing the explore data.

So...

PvP, and not even the guy who got blown away was butthurt?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Tonight was supposed to be a celebration of the grand return of one of this community's intrepid explorers to the bubble of civilised space. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way, as CMDR Cluseau, "accidentally" destroyed Ol during our photo call at HIP 81106.

With a volley of laser fire, and then a Class 4 plasma accelerator shot.

I've seen some pretty jerky things in my many years as an online gamer, but this is about the worst. To wipe out the best part of two months' worth of play in five seconds flat is completely inexcusable and unforgiveable. Especially given that the whole point of grouping together like this was to stop Ol from being ganked by some random idiot on the way back to Shinrarta Dezsha."

This guy is taking it far to seriously.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The best part is that instead of having a huge dick-waving RP event, you can just switch the game to Solo mode to completely avoid other players.

Here's some videos of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfh6PJb24LI

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Rectus posted:

The best part is that instead of having a huge dick-waving RP event, you can just switch the game to Solo mode to completely avoid other players.

pro clicks

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rectus posted:

So there was no reason for them to do this? He could have just flown in solo, shared the stuff and then gone back to MP?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I joined to be Idiot King and lost the election and got a ban instead.

Near around the same time I joined, I was probably playing a half life mod called Firearms.

Firearms worked on a "billets" system which was sort of a pool of re spawns for your team. When a team ran out of billets, it lost.

One of the maps had the teams start from helicopters or airplanes or something and jump out the door and open a parachute and float down to the fighting. I would not open my parachute. Over and over again I would just let myself fall to my death, my team could never hope to win.

I sometimes miss those early, shining, halcyon days of counter strike. Sure, the server admin could set a team kill limit. But once you were kicked, you could just open the console and type /retry, and you'd be right back in the thick of it.

The most rewarding team killing experiences came from Day of Defeat though. On one Day of Defeat map, the designers had caused one team to re spawn inside a room with a door. Outside, they had helpfully placed a static machine gun. With a little trickery, you could turn the static gun around 180 degrees and point it at the door. It insta gibbed your teammates as the door opened, they had no chance at all.

I think DoD also used a "billets" system, and the enemy team would eventually make its way across the map and shoot you in the back. But then they'd have the machine gun, as part of their firing squad.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Elite dangerous has good griefing mechanics like ramming people's ships to death inside safe space stations, then the station defense kill you, but only after you've rammed the guy to death.

Also since space trucker people like to run their ships unshielded to get more cargo room, you can get one of the cheapest ships and put OP torpedos on it and one-hit them inside the safe stations. You lose like 40k space money and they lose millions.

If you've got two people, you can do the same to just about any ship. Guy in a big ship rams their shields down and flies off, guy in disposable ship fires the torpedo killshot and martyrs himself.

There is also an American flag paint job you can buy to use doing these things.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

So there was no reason for them to do this? He could have just flown in solo, shared the stuff and then gone back to MP?

None at all, you can just log out any time to switch modes. You can be ambushed by NPC ships, but they're trivial to escape from compared to players.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
yeah but that'd be ~dishonorable~

^ thing pubbies say unironically

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Magres posted:

yeah but that'd be ~dishonorable~

^ thing pubbies say unironically

Dishonorable just means if you push this button REALLY hard, something funny will happen.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hypha posted:

Dishonorable just means if you push this button REALLY hard, something funny will happen.

Typically. Online Bushido codes are funny things

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Soulex posted:

I always loved that people bowed in Jedi Knight II before a duel by crouching and looking down when (1) pressing the lightsaber button while holding it would activate or retract the blade, and (2) you had a loving gesture to signal that you wanted to fight. It always were the people using non-jedi character models whining the most about bowing too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I always loved that people bowed in Jedi Knight II before a duel by crouching and looking down when (1) pressing the lightsaber button while holding it would activate or retract the blade, and (2) you had a loving gesture to signal that you wanted to fight. It always were the people using non-jedi character models whining the most about bowing too.

One of my favorite petty griefs is murdering people in Dark Souls while they're busy bowing like idiots. People get real mad when you rush them while they're bowing and kill them while they're locked into that stupid animation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have no regrets about kicking guys off of cliffs while they bow like knobs.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
You may have heard of a game called Ingress. It's an alternate reality game where you look at your smartphone to capture portals, blow up enemy portals, and put up fields to get more points than the enemy.

The level max used to be level 8 which is where you got the last level of gear. Niatic, the company that makes the game, added additional levels up to level 16. There is still an experience requirement (which you get for actions you do in the game) to get to the next level but they also added the need to get achievements, or badges, to get to the next level. These badges have 5 different levels starting at Bronze and ending with Onyx, each level harder than the last. For example, there is a badge called Pioneer that counts every unique portal you capture. You get the Bronze Pioneer badge when you capture 20 unique portals and Onyx will unlock when you capture 20,000 unique portals. All of the badges are like this with Onyx being crazy high to complete.

To get to level 16, you need two onyx badges.

One of the "easier" Onyx badges to get is called "Guardian". For Bronze, you need to keep a portal that was captured by you up for 3 consecutive days. These portals require energy to keep up which can be done through the Portal Keys you get from hacking it. Even when you are sitting at home, you can open the game and charge this portal up to 2000km away. For Onyx, you need to keep a portal up for 150 consecutive days. This means that at any time the portal is destroyed, the timer is reset even if you capture it right back. There are virus game items in the game players can use that automatically flip portals to the other faction and then control of the portal is given to the NPCs behind the virusii denying the player ownership which then resets the timer.

Players love to hunt Guardians who could, by crowdsourcing, know the exact time a portal was put down count out 150 days and then know when to blow it up for maximum sadness.

Another rule that is related the event is about the formation of portals. If a portal can be walked to from public access, it is a legal portal. This means you cannot live on a huge plot of land and put up your own portal if you forbid everyone else to go on the land.

Actually, you could and can still do this.

Maryland has a RenFair that happens once a year. The RenFair grounds have several portals available but the issue was that it takes place on private land. For times outside of RenFair, you would be trespassing which means that anyone would not be able to get anywhere close to it. Blue players are welcome to put up portals though, but any green faction players will have their portals blown up because the person that owns the land plays for blue.

That aside, it turned out one year one real jerk of a blue player had his portal on the grounds about to flip. His and as well as 5 others were all soon going to get Onyx level tier. Even though the others were not bad, green faction really wanted to screw this guy. But it was private property and there was no way to get there.

Then during a thread talking about what they can do, one person said what if you fly over it and captured it?

Donations were taken and one person was selected via lottery to ride in a helicopter to be taken over the fairgrounds.

Before takeoff, all the players gathered and dropped all their ultra rare viruses to instantly flip the blue portals to green without having to waste time firing XMP bombs. The lucky candidate picked them all up and got on.

As she flew over, she infected the first portal to come in range with the virus. As soon as it hit, the public chat for the Maryland/DC/NoVA area lit up from the blue players slinging accusations of trespassing and how she will be reported to the police. In the middle of the attack, she saw below a black van race across the field to the portals in response to the attack. Someone was trespassing and he was trying to find the person doing it. It was then the black van realized that the player was not on the grounds but in the helicopter hovering above.

Blue players congratulated the green faction on the well executed plan, but denying 6 portals 5 days away from getting the owners the Onyx badge still hurt.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 29, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Like 150 real days?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah. Ingress is a game that takes months to really "progress" in and there's no real such thing as progress, just flipping arbitrary points back and forth. Also going past level 8 gets you basically nothing in terms of being able to dick other people over.

It's kinda neat though, routes that incorporate Ingress portals are fun to jog - it's fun to collect a bunch of bombs in the game and just jog around blowing people's stuff up.

Also lmao that the douche with the land was trying to have someone arrested over a cell phone game

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 29, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is it possible to set a point just far enough past a bridge railing (or something of the sort) that it requires reaching/leaning out, so people drop their phones trying to get in range?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

silentsnack posted:

Is it possible to set a point just far enough past a bridge railing (or something of the sort) that it requires reaching/leaning out, so people drop their phones trying to get in range?

Probably, just get a selfie stick and tap away.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

EVIR Gibson posted:

As soon as it hit, the public chat for the Maryland/DC/NoVA area lit up from the blue players slinging accusations of trespassing and how she will be reported to the police.

Everything about this is just sad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ingress griefing. :allears:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Now I have to wonder how high up you have to be for it to not be trespassing anymore

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Soulex posted:

Magres posted:

One of my favorite petty griefs is murdering people in Dark Souls while they're busy bowing like idiots. People get real mad when you rush them while they're bowing and kill them while they're locked into that stupid animation.

Back when I played TF2, one of the things I loved was getting into Heavy Boxing Matches. The Heavy Weapons Guy punches poo poo with his giant fists as his melee attack, and one of the unlockable weapons is the Killer Gloves of Boxing. This item, if you hit the taunt button, would make the heavy strike a pose and throw a couple punches, while a bell rang like he was in a boxing ring. People loved trotting out their KGB heavies to have boxing matches, and sometimes they could be quite fun. However, what I found more fun was to find that random Heavy by his lonesome on the other team, whip out my regular, KGB-less fists, and tell him to fight me like a man over chat. If he had the KGB, he'd invariably do his taunt, at which point I'd do mine. The standard fists taunt does this, which always led to some very sad Heavies.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Double post, because this bit is completely unrelated to the last one, but I know we've had some SS13 stories in here previously, and I thought I'd share a really good one with you guys. In it, an admin decides to have some fun with some custom traitor goals at round start:

I Said No posted:

It was me running this particular gimmick. IIRC the traitors were along the lines of:

Pride: You are the best on the station and everyone needs to know it
Wrath: Make everyone suffer horribly
Gluttony: Eat everything in sight (was given matter eater to accomplish this)
Envy: Confiscate everyone else's heirloom items
Avarice: Hoard all the good poo poo on the station
Greed: Steal absolutely loving everything
Lust: Make sure the heads don't leave the station and make sure they don't die
Sloth: Try to avoid doing anything useful at all (The AI was given this)

I know that's eight. I forgot Gluttony initially, so it was added later. I also gave the Chaplain an objective to persecute the very sinful people aboard the station. He was dead within ten minutes of being assigned his objective.

After assigning the traitors, I checked the antagonist list after a while early into the round and noticed Lust was already dead, so I jumped to him and saw him looking just about skinned and turned into burger meat by Wrath, being dragged away while people tried to stop Wrath from doing any more damage but getting interrupted by Envy showing up and tazing them to steal their heirlooms. Over the course of the round people became absolutely poo poo-scared of Wrath to a point I haven't seen in a long time. By this point people were calling the AI out as being rogue because it was ignoring everyone's orders.

Eventually I noticed Wrath walk into the bar, shoot someone in the face right in front of everyone and drag them off towards Hydroponics to cut them up with a razor blade, all the while growling and snarling incoherently about how much he hates everyone. He cuffed the guy and started carving him up, but someone had given chase and tried to stop it, only to get a baton to the face for his troubles. After Wrath was basically hacking the two of them to pieces and trying his best to keep both of them down, the Barman shows up and blasts Wrath with a shotgun several times. Wrath managed to get a baton strike off on the barman despite being in crit, prompting the barman to start yelling NO NONOONONNONONO as Wrath slowly crawled towards him gasping and snarling. Wrath, who by this point had feigned death several times to get the barman to back off, finally died for real with one of his victims looking on and a terrified barman beating the hell out of Wrath's corpse just to make sure.

I glanced around the station and noticed Greed (the HoS) had completely filled his room with lockers containing all the security equipment, and Gluttony had gotten all of his limbs replaced with robotic prostheses, presumably because he'd eaten all of his original limbs. Envy (the captain) shows up, tazes a nearby clown and strips him to take his heirloom, while gluttony chows down on all the left over gear still on the floor. The clown then runs away naked and screaming and is later heard on the radio begging for new clothes. Gluttony demands to be let into the bridge to eat everything, only for Envy to tell him that the HoS had already stolen everything that was in there. The two then teamed up; Envy would go out and taze someone, bring them back to Gluttony, steal their heirloom and let gluttony eat the rest of their equipment. Gluttony eventually decides to give up on life since the captain had him trapped in the juror's gallery like some kind of glutton zoo, and lays down on the floor while pondering whether or not he should eat his replacement limbs. He never gets back up for the rest of the round, but doesn't suicide. All the while, Pride is running around screaming at everyone to eat his bacon cake since it is the best cake they will ever taste because he made it. He runs up to the HoS who at this point has loaded just about everything in security into his office, but the HoS is having none of his poo poo, batons him in the face and feeds him his own bacon cake.

The shuttle has been called at this point, and I notice the cyborgs completely going to town on the escape hallway. I notice one of the cyborgs is grumbling and snarling about how much he wants to kill everyone - a quick check of the antagonist list reveals that this cyborg is in fact Wrath, some smartass decided to bring this living terror back to life for reasons I can only begin to guess at. Since the AI is ignoring all its laws due to being Sloth, the Cyborgs decide to go absolutely apeshit in general, which I am completely fine with. When the shuttle arrives, Wrath blocks all the entrances to the shuttle while another cyborg lights up a plasma canister in the hallway and a roving janitor borg is using his spray bottle to freeze people into ice cubes. People manage to break into the shuttle at the last second while Envy is yelling over the radio about how he's the biggest prick in the history of SS13 and listing off all the heirlooms he managed to steal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Whenever I played that game, I would be battered to death within two minutes and none of that cool stuff never happened.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maybe you were the chaplain that round?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Morglon posted:

Now I have to wonder how high up you have to be for it to not be trespassing anymore

The Supreme Court gave us a standard for this one in 1946 with their decision in United States v. Causby. The court ruled "the air above the minimum safe altitude of flight... is a public highway and part of the public domain."

FAA standards put the safe altitude at 500 feet over most populated areas for airplanes, but helicopters are exempted from that particular part of the regulations so it's not exactly clear how low they can go before they're in trouble.

In any case over a farm-type field 500 feet or above is almost definitely legal barring special circumstances like a nearby airport.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cojawfee posted:

Whenever I played that game, I would be battered to death within two minutes and none of that cool stuff never happened.

A lot of the good shenanigans stories depend on the admins being online and in the mood to let people break the normal "don't be an rear end in a top hat and ruin everything for everyone" rules without fear of getting banned and/or give funny antagonist objectives. Sometimes don't work out, especially when they go too well in the worst way. Here's a story from a couple of years ago when it was called the Mushroom Station.

Being insane and nerdy enough to play SS13, I developed a method for making the most powerful plasma bombs which employ the power of hot pseudoscience to vaporize everyone nearby while destroying a 11x11 chunk of terrain and heavily damaging about twice that radius. If I spawned as a scientist and didn't have any interference, I could make 7 bombs (the maximum) inside of 10 minutes and if I hijacked the teleporter it would take maybe another 5 minutes to Ruin Everything which could be described as...
  • destroy the AI
  • damage terminals/wires so people couldn't call the emergency shuttle (ends the round after a delay so everything starts over)
  • release the gravitational singularity, a black hole that wanders across the map eating everything
  • knock out the entire powergrid so all the lights go off and equipment shuts down
  • blow huge holes in major hallways so people can't get anywhere without spacesuits (which were surrounded by airless corridors)
  • kill anyone in popular areas from a combination of explosion and injury+asphyxiation

One time while I was refining the method, for some reason I left the area carrying a satchel full of bombs and got stopped by a security guard in the Science/Medical lobby which connected that wing to the rest of the station. He asked to search me and I forked over the backpack making some random excuse like sending them to the miners (so they could kill themselves) but the guard dropped the bag and ran off before I could finish answering. Almost immediately he set off one of the bombs, killing both of us and the Captain and maybe 5 more people in addition to injuring ~10 more and trapping them in the soon-to-be-airless medbay.

The friendly security officer was an admin (atomicthumbs) who sent me an admin-PM saying he had planned on giving me a MAD BOMBER traitor gimmick, which kinda backfired... but congrats on that bombmaking technique.

TLDR: killed by my own license to grief

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just downloaded ingress, went around "hacking" random portals,tried to attack one and the owner of the portal drove up to have a chat with me about the game.

Weirdest experience i've ever had.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I haven't played SS13 for a bit but I do want to share a story.

I tend to always play as an assistant or a clown because starting at the bottom and working up is one of the most fun ways to play the game.

The problem with playing as a clown is that some players take that as a sign and try and kill you or bring you to the brink of death.

One of the players named Humble Bee love to attack me anytime I was playing as a clown or attack anyone else in general for any reason whatsoever.

He was a constant lovely player always did whatever he wanted and always cried and screamed about the consequences when he would break the rules and someone else would punch him or do anything in retribution to him. He would do this when not playing as a traitor or bad guy.

One round he decided to follow me constantly and try to hurt me enough to keep me always near critical damage. After about 10 minutes of this I decided to finally fight back.

After a quick ambush and knocking him unconscious he suicided. I decided to clone him real quick and while his body was being created I went to the kitchen and ground up his old body.

By the time he was back in the game I was waiting for him...with a pile of Humble Bee hamburgers.

I tossed a straight jacket on him and buckled him to a chair as he screamed on the radio in protest. One after another I force fed him hamburgers made of his previous body.

All the while I was honking my bicycle horn, my only response to his screaming was "Honk!" before he gave up and suicided once more.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
loving Humble Bee was the biggest baby and the most fun to mess with.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

neogeo0823 posted:

Back when I played TF2, one of the things I loved was getting into Heavy Boxing Matches. The Heavy Weapons Guy punches poo poo with his giant fists as his melee attack, and one of the unlockable weapons is the Killer Gloves of Boxing. This item, if you hit the taunt button, would make the heavy strike a pose and throw a couple punches, while a bell rang like he was in a boxing ring. People loved trotting out their KGB heavies to have boxing matches, and sometimes they could be quite fun. However, what I found more fun was to find that random Heavy by his lonesome on the other team, whip out my regular, KGB-less fists, and tell him to fight me like a man over chat. If he had the KGB, he'd invariably do his taunt, at which point I'd do mine. The standard fists taunt does this, which always led to some very sad Heavies.

The heavy taunt kill was great because, for awhile (and maybe still), it was unique in that it had range. TF2 was a lot of fun for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The heavy taunt kill was great because, for awhile (and maybe still), it was unique in that it had range. TF2 was a lot of fun for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ChNjSMoNI

He dies after most taunt kills, but it's all about sending a message anyway.

• Locked thread