Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AMD should have made fury X 5-15% slower than it already is, and price it at $300. I'm sure they could do that if they didn't have to push the last Hz out of their silicon.

Going after Titan/980Ti was dumb. I'd buy 2 $300 cards that are ~10% slower than 980Ti and get loads of extra performance even after the overclocked difference.

As it is, they cost similar and perform similar, but one still overclocks af.

Also, waterblock and 980Ti shipped this morning. Block should be here tomorrow, but the card is still in germany :shobon:

Botnit posted:

Per the parts picking thread can anyone confirm that a GPU operating at x16 shows no real FPS increase than operating in x8?

(PCIE 3.0 if it matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You think they can do a $300 HBM SKU and turn a profit? Hmm, I'm not sure I buy it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure at least nvidia is selling GPUs at 30% or more profit. AMD probably isn't right now due to HBM, but I still think there's a lot of room they left, and if they didn't bin so agressively they could put it into the $300-400 range at least.

On the other hand, I have no idea how much HBM actually costs them right now. They might be selling at cost for all I know.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Truga posted:

AMD should have made fury X 5-15% slower than it already is, and price it at $300. I'm sure they could do that if they didn't have to push the last Hz out of their silicon.

This is like me theorycrafting 10 months ago that if they just made the <$240 price that all the 290s got panic sold at right after GTX 970 availability became widespread, they'd be cleaning up shop. Fiji and Hawaii are enormous dies with wide buses that are expensive to make. AMD is probably selling stuff drat near cost already.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Botnit posted:

Per the parts picking thread can anyone confirm that a GPU operating at x16 shows no real FPS increase than operating in x8?

(PCIE 3.0 if it matters)

It is like a 1% difference.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Subjunctive posted:

You think they can do a $300 HBM SKU and turn a profit? Hmm, I'm not sure I buy it.

Probably not $300, but if you downclock it a bit you should be able to up yields and lower TDP, which would let you move it back to a stock air-cooled part, at which point a $550 price-point for Fury X and a $450 price-point for Fury start to sound more reasonable. Fury X still would be a bit of a comparative dog in price:performance, but at least they'd have slotted the Fury into a good place to sell a bunch of them, which is apparently the market they should have been chasing this generation to begin with.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is hardly an unknown trick, but tonight set it for a 3 day auction on ebay and start at 0.01. People watch the poo poo out of those and you will pretty much always get what you were going to anyways if not more. The only real tip to this is list so that it ends on Friday or Saturday night

How do you deal with people who try to win auctions and don't pay? This has happened to me twice over the past month.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
You do realize you're basically discussing the Fury Nano, right? AMD is already planning this product, if they can hit ~350-400 for the Fury Nano they have sales period.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD could price the fury X at $99 and people would still buy GTX970's

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Don Lapre posted:

AMD could price the fury X at $99 and people would still buy GTX970's

I know you're one for hyperbole but come the gently caress on man.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
people tend to buy whatever is best for the $, its the information they base on whats "best" that is usually the issue. I dont think thats a problem this year though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How do you deal with people who try to win auctions and don't pay? This has happened to me twice over the past month.

That sucks man. I've had that happen once, but it was something fairly obscure. I've never had that happen for anything "popular" though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

You do realize you're basically discussing the Fury Nano, right? AMD is already planning this product, if they can hit ~350-400 for the Fury Nano they have sales period.

Yes; the entire idea of the Fury X has turned out to be pointless, unless they plan on producing so few of them that the die-hard price-be-damned AMD fanboy demographic will be sufficient to absorb the stock, and the media attention of having a sorta-competing card is worth the R&D costs. In either case they should have released the Nano up front, generated a bunch of sales while eating away at 970's market share, and left the 295x2 as the "top end halo" card, since it actually can compete with the 980Ti both in performance and price (albeit with the usual CF caveats), then revisit the issue in 6-12 months.

e; Of course, hindsight is 20/20. That their current approach seems so dumb makes me have to believe that they really had no idea the 980Ti was coming and/or expected it at a much higher price-point. We wouldn't be making GBS threads on the Fury X if the 980Ti was $800 like you'd expect coming from NVidia vis a vis the Titan X.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 29, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

I know you're one for hyperbole but come the gently caress on man.

This is 100% true, I had several friends on GTX 760s or 650 Ti Boost with $250 to spend refusing to look at discounted custom cooler R9-290s because "but it's AMD".

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

Yes; the entire idea of the Fury X has turned out to be pointless, unless they plan on producing so few of them that the die-hard price-be-damned AMD fanboy demographic will be sufficient to absorb the stock, and the media attention of having a sorta-competing card is worth the R&D costs. In either case they should have released the Nano up front, generated a bunch of sales while eating away at 970's market share, and left the 295x2 as the "top end halo" card, since it actually can compete with the 980Ti both in performance and price (albeit with the usual CF caveats), then revisit the issue in 6-12 months.

I think the counterpoint is that the Fury X would have been a great card if the 980 Ti didn't exist, and the 980 Ti sort of came out of nowhere. I can't imagine AMD is nimble enough to correct course that fast with how deep their financial troubles are.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Chuu posted:

I think the counterpoint is that the Fury X would have been a great card if the 980 Ti didn't exist, and the 980 Ti sort of came out of nowhere. I can't imagine AMD is nimble enough to correct course that fast with how deep their financial troubles are.

The Fury X was always supposed to be a Titan X Killer. Which it is. The problem is that nVidia released their own Titan Killer before AMD did and we've seen the result. Though with what we know now, even if it was against a Titan X and not a 980 Ti, it wouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of things because AMD and its partners seem nearly completely incapable of actually producing Fury cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Chuu posted:

Came out of nowhere? Everyone knew a 980ti would come out at some point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It being "Titan X with less RAM for $550" came out of nowhere, I think. That there was something coming above the 980 was expected, but that it would utterly dominate high-end price/perf wasn't.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Came out of nowhere? Everyone knew a 980ti would come out at some point.

Yeah, but leaving the Titan X at $999 and launching the 980Ti at $800 would have been a perfectly reasonable move for NVidia, and then lower prices a little when forced to by AMD's products.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Christ, if you guys want to hand wring about the GPU market and the plight of consumers without plucky lil ole AMD making sure nVidia doesn't just stick it to people price wise, think more about what happens when AMD is even more of a footnote/gone and Intel iGPUs have advanced enough to totally supplant the midrange bread and butter GPU segment of the x50/x60 class cards, and then it's nvidia's turn :v:

(If anything we should be thanking TSMC for sucking at fab process tech for so long that nvidia wasn't able to crutch on a die shrink and was forced to go nuts with new designs to wring more out of 28nm.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Big Maxwell on a die shrink would have snapped AMD like a twig.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

^^A Fiji worth a drat could likely fit on a die shrink.

Gwaihir posted:

Christ, if you guys want to hand wring about the GPU market and the plight of consumers without plucky lil ole AMD making sure nVidia doesn't just stick it to people price wise, think more about what happens when AMD is even more of a footnote/gone and Intel iGPUs have advanced enough to totally supplant the midrange bread and butter GPU segment of the x50/x60 class cards, and then it's nvidia's turn :v:

(If anything we should be thanking TSMC for sucking at fab process tech for so long that nvidia wasn't able to crutch on a die shrink and was forced to go nuts with new designs to wring more out of 28nm.)

gently caress, at least Intel hasn't pulled naming bullshit like NVIDIA and created a luxury brand out of nothing just so they could sell their smaller chips in bigger chips' market segments to crank their margins higher than they've ever been.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but leaving the Titan X at $999 and launching the 980Ti at $800 would have been a perfectly reasonable move for NVidia, and then lower prices a little when forced to by AMD's products.

They basically did the exact same thing with the 780ti, except the 780ti was actually a better chip than titan.

xthetenth posted:

gently caress, at least Intel hasn't pulled naming bullshit like NVIDIA and created a luxury brand out of nothing just so they could sell their smaller chips in bigger chips' market segments to crank their margins higher than they've ever been.

Well intel would never do that, what would they call it, Extreme edition? lol

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 29, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Naming bullshit like what? a 7970 getting re-badged and released as 4 different cards?

(j/k nvidia doesn't really fuss with the desktop card names, instead they concentrate their fuckawful product SKUs for even worse effect in the notebook market. Where the same chip name on the box might mean two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT architectures with two totally different types of ram resulting in completely wild performance swings in a segment where information is already harder to much harder to find than on the desktop)

e: If you're calling any of the Titan incarnations a small chip then :stare: I don't quite know what to say to that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Who gives a poo poo about laptop gpu's anyway. Nobody who knows anything would buy one, its a total 13 year old asks mom for an alienware market

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Don Lapre posted:

Who gives a poo poo about laptop gpu's anyway. Nobody who knows anything would buy one, its a total 13 year old asks mom for an alienware market

Hey now there are real good maxwell GPUs for laptops that are far closer to desktop class chips than ever before. Laptop GPU capability has never been better thanks to how good maxwell is on the power front.

Pretty much all of those garbage low end laptop class GPUs just got totally subsumed by Intel though. You barely ever see a notebook with anything under an x50 card because why bother.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 29, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody who knows anything would buy one.

Sometimes people join the armed services or become professional business travelers because circumstances, man. At least gather what facts you can before you judge.

On the other hand Intel could make 'laptop GPU' something more than the tragicomic compromise it is if they could finally NOT sell 90% of the Iris Pro-equipped CPUs to Apple.

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Sometimes people join the armed services or become professional business travelers because circumstances, man. At least gather what facts you can before you judge.

On the other hand Intel could make 'laptop GPU' something more than the tragicomic compromise it is if they could finally NOT sell 90% of the Iris Pro-equipped CPUs to Apple.

Hey buddy business travelers take their mini desktops with them along with nothing else, maybe you should get your facts straight.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adonis posted:

Hey buddy business travelers take their mini desktops with them along with nothing else, maybe you should get your facts straight.

nothing weirder than a dubbed white person.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
If AMD does go belly up, what would happen to console chip supplies?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

Every console powered by Tegra X1.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Space Racist posted:

Someone would buy it up.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Don Lapre posted:

They basically did the exact same thing with the 780ti, except the 780ti was actually a better chip than titan.
I've seen some people's 980ties out perform my Titan X. :(

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I am currently looking to get a new video card, I have an AMD Radeon HD 97507950 from 2012 and looking at switching to NVidia, wondering what cards I should be looking at as a replacement.

e: Actual model.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 29, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robzilla posted:

So I am currently looking to get a new video card, I have an AMD Radeon HD 9750 from 2012 and looking at switching to NVidia, wondering what cards I should be looking at as a replacement.

what resolution do you game at? What games are you playing and plan on playing?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Robzilla posted:

So I am currently looking to get a new video card, I have an AMD Radeon HD 9750 from 2012 and looking at switching to NVidia, wondering what cards I should be looking at as a replacement.

I'm going to assume that you meant "7950" there. I'd recommend a GTX 970, it will be about twice as powerful as your current card, you can get one for $300-$340. Newegg has a nice deal on the Gigabyte Windforce 970, $310 after rebate, it's one of the better versions so I recommend it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gwaihir posted:

Naming bullshit like what? a 7970 getting re-badged and released as 4 different cards?

(j/k nvidia doesn't really fuss with the desktop card names, instead they concentrate their fuckawful product SKUs for even worse effect in the notebook market. Where the same chip name on the box might mean two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT architectures with two totally different types of ram resulting in completely wild performance swings in a segment where information is already harder to much harder to find than on the desktop)

e: If you're calling any of the Titan incarnations a small chip then :stare: I don't quite know what to say to that.

Wait, what, there have been many rebranded NVIDIA cards over the years (if we're complaining about the 290X being rebranded 390X, the difference is at least a little more than Geforce 680 to 770), and NVIDIA is guilty of having several different configurations of card having the same name (check out the 630 here, for example). It's bizarro-land when people somehow defend one nonsensical naming scheme over another.

Also, 4 cards for the 7970? 7970, 280X.. ???

Mutation posted:

Pretty much all the factory overclocked 980 Tis will outperform a stock Titan X. Sorry.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gigabyte raises the ASUS GTX 970 Turbo with a GTX 970 TWIN TURBO:

So what makes it twin turbo? The twin intakes (both front and back of the card):

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not defending anyone's model renaming because being a cheerleader for huge megacorps is unfathomably dumb. I'm saying that AMD's lovely renames and rebrands have been more prominently in the last two desktop lineup refreshes while nvidia's especially bad model confusion is in the laptop space.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Mutation posted:

I think it's because Nvidia doesn't allow custom boards or coolers on Titan / Titan X models.

Hmmm, EVGA SSC / Classified Titan X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not defending anyone's model renaming because being a cheerleader for huge megacorps is unfathomably dumb. I'm saying that AMD's lovely renames and rebrands have been more prominently in the last two desktop lineup refreshes while nvidia's especially bad model confusion is in the laptop space.

On the other hand, it's NVIDIA who successfully moved their medium sized chips from the 200-250 dollar price range to the 300-500 range and is somehow getting record margins while killing their competition, and selling huge numbers of a wet fart at 200 because they ran out of decent cards.