Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

thousandcranes posted:

Hey Fortis, I'm a fan of your work but I'm also not caught up because I was waiting for chapters to end and then I literally do not understand your archive. Actually that's probably something you want to look at. I click on the chapter title and it shows me the pages in the chapter in reverse order? Why???

I've been meaning to fix this forever so part of the problem is that I kept forgetting to. The other is that the setting controlling the archive order is buried where I would never have expected to find it. The other part of it is that showing archives in descending order is an option at all in the first place. :argh:

Anyway I finally found the setting and fixed it! I am sorry that it took me several actual years to do this. I find that the site itself never manages to become as much of a priority for me as the comic itself, which can be a problem.

quote:

I like your use of colors for the artwork, but I tend to have fairly mixed feelings on the word balloons and gutters. Sometimes the colors work, sometimes I really dislike them. I think it would work better for me if those elements were way desaturated. I'm not really sure what the word balloon colors are supposed to be adding (other than indicating who's speaking??) anyway.

Your facial proportions get pretty wonky sometimes. Sometimes people's eyes are too close together or their mouth and nose seem to slide around. You have a charming style but it just feels like there's no anatomical backing sometimes.

I guess I always liked the idea of colored word balloons and using them is supposed to give every character a 'voice', but I can understand that they could potentially get in the way, especially lately with people having increasingly elaborate word balloon colors. It might actually be weird to completely stop doing it now, but I might look into desaturating them within the next chapter or so in order to make them less distracting.

As far as the gutters, do you mean during flashbacks? I do dark teal gutters during flashbacks only, the rest of the time they're just white. I guess that creates a similar issue to the word balloons in that it could potentially mess up the colors (although I try to pick colors for those scenes that work with the gutter color, except for the first flashback I did when the colors were all over the place). If that's not what you mean though I'd like to know more about what I can do to fix up the gutters!

As far as meltyface is concerned I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's happening especially frequently with a character who has of course become a prominent part of this current arc so the comic is lousy with it lately. I think I need to get back to basics with laying out faces for at least a while, and probably draw new characters over and over before I actually introduce them to work out the kinks. Thanks for the feedback!

FunkyAl posted:

I am ~way behind~ on BSF but from the looks of it: I am hella enjoying what you're doing with your panel layouts! The latest page is SUPER dynamic and readable + you're doing good things with color. I actually disagree with part of what radicalwall is saying, I think the harsh shadows actually work really well tonally, at least for this latest sequence. I DO agree with their point AB atmospheric perspective, which is tricky when you're doing flats but if you manage to get that good n readable then that's like the whole Next Level of color.

WITH REGARDS to your staging/blocking/background problems, I do think you're leaning a little heavy on close-ups, but it's also not as big a problem as it could be because you're working to keep them interesting within the composition of the whole page. I think what could help is less trying to conceptualize the background as a solid setting they're in and more as a way to conceptualize visual information, of that makes sense. Like this page http://www.bsfantasy-comic.com/2015/06/30/page-460/ seems a little flat because the blocking isn't really implying anything about these guy's relationship. Even something as simple as tilting the camera up and down on them would help. And with action sequences, try to think about the characters' relationship to the conflict at hand and try to block it that way. Like, for example, if the slime king gets big and fights someone again, where can you place him to make his scale really FEEL large? How would shots of differ between him being in the foreground/being in the backround? If he's fighting an enemy in the background, and like, seb, was fighting one in the foreground, and you lined them up, what does that say about the conflict at hand? How would you block him when you're thinking about him (or anything else really) as a character vs. a "force?" Is there a difference?

You're definitely headed in the right direction tho and I'm gonna go catch up

Oh man, thanks. Panel layouts were another thing that people told me needed spicing up, and I've been working on it, so I'm glad it's paying off. I see what you mean about blocking; I had always thought about backgrounds as showing where characters are and that's it, but using it as not just compositional but tonal elements makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try to work that in!

RadicalWall posted:

I'll just throw out there that the first thing I noticed is that all of your shadows are hard shadows and it makes everything look kind of flat and harsh. Remember, as soft objects rotate away from a light source the shadow forms gradually and just using a soft brush would help your art feel more grounded.

Also you might look into changing some of your saturation and contrast to help separate the characters from the backgrounds and lead the readers eye where you want it to go, as currently your backgrounds contain as much contrast as your characters. The eye is naturally drawn to the point of highest contrast and if you don't control where that is the eye has no place to focus on.

Just my two cents. Keep on keeping on! The fact that you've kept your comic going regularly for 400+ pages is a huge testament to your dedication and you can easily see your skills have improved steadily!

Thank you! I've experimented with softer shadows before, although the closest I've come in-comic is to applying a gradient over the same shapes I do for the hard shadows. I was looking at older pages the other night where I did that and everything kind of looked better, so I think I know what you mean. I'll experiment with actually using a soft brush for shadows too; I've never been happy with the results I've gotten when doing that, but I haven't tried in a long-rear end time.
With backgrounds I've always tried to focus on contrast between the background and characters, and that's it. But 1) I don't use the trick of desaturating everything as much as I should and 2) you raise an interesting point re: the amount of contrast in the foreground and backgrounds, so I'll need to look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Fortis posted:

I guess I always liked the idea of colored word balloons and using them is supposed to give every character a 'voice', but I can understand that they could potentially get in the way, especially lately with people having increasingly elaborate word balloon colors. It might actually be weird to completely stop doing it now, but I might look into desaturating them within the next chapter or so in order to make them less distracting.

As far as the gutters, do you mean during flashbacks? I do dark teal gutters during flashbacks only, the rest of the time they're just white. I guess that creates a similar issue to the word balloons in that it could potentially mess up the colors (although I try to pick colors for those scenes that work with the gutter color, except for the first flashback I did when the colors were all over the place). If that's not what you mean though I'd like to know more about what I can do to fix up the gutters!

Haha, I actually never put together the gutters only ever turn teal and that it only happens during flashbacks. Wow I am special.

It's not always distracting but sometimes it just sticks out on a certain page or panel. Maybe it shouldn't be the same color for every balloon or flashback in a chapter. Like rather than Mindy being this mint green for this chapter, she could be mint family somewhat varying depending on the atmosphere of the scene. Hope this makes sense.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Troposphere posted:

if his art wasn't cheesecakey in the first place I wouldn't have said anything and he has been incredibly stubborn about it and only replies selectively so it's impossible to have an actual conversation with him

I don't get how not wanting to talk about something that's a non-issue is being 'incredibly stubborn'. if anything, aren't you being overly insistent?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Colon Semicolon posted:

I don't get how not wanting to talk about something that's a non-issue is being 'incredibly stubborn'. if anything, aren't you being overly insistent?

it's not a non-issue, it's something that taints all of his posts which is why people other than me have called him out on it

but thank you for weighing in, robot titty man

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I appreciate the defense of me, but it just keeps the grumpybutts talking about me.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Colon Semicolon posted:

Agreed, now I was wondering if I could get a critique on a character design for a new comic I was working on about empowered Robo-women (referred to as Robotits in comic):

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
THAT'S NOT THE THING I WAS GONNA MAKE A COMIC ABOUT OH MY GOD

Troposphere posted:

it's not a non-issue, it's something that taints all of his posts which is why people other than me have called him out on it

but thank you for weighing in, robot titty man

please stop trying to tell everyone what subjects they are allowed to draw in your eyes, hope this helps!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Colon Semicolon posted:

THAT'S NOT THE THING I WAS GONNA MAKE A COMIC ABOUT OH MY GOD

please stop trying to tell everyone what subjects they are allowed to draw in your eyes, hope this helps!

people can draw whatever they want, but it is good to be aware that when you put your drawings of robots covered in jizz out into the world for everyone to see, some people will have opinions about it and voice them.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Colon Semicolon posted:

But why does it matter when they can just not listen? Like they can just go on doing whatever they want regardless

Idk this conversation is pointless

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

We're all aware of the rest of the world and their opinions.

We were quite aware before. Long before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Scribblehatch posted:

We're all aware of the rest of the world and their opinions.

We were quite aware before. Long before.

You sound like the narrator to the Land Before Time sequels.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rincewind posted:

A magnificent forums own goal.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Troposphere posted:

people can draw whatever they want, but it is good to be aware that when you put your drawings of robots covered in jizz out into the world for everyone to see, some people will have opinions about it and voice them.

says the one that tried to completely derail a forum adventure comic into wailing about such things.

there's voicing your opinions and trying to shove them down someone's throat. (nevermind my extreme anti-minimalism kick)

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Pick posted:

You sound like the narrator to the Land Before Time sequels.
Ew. THE SEQUELS?

Awww..

C'mon.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Colon Semicolon posted:

says the one that tried to completely derail a forum adventure comic into wailing about such things.

there's voicing your opinions and trying to shove them down someone's throat. (nevermind my extreme anti-minimalism)

if you don't like someone coming into an art group and shoving their fetish j/o material down your throat you should just shut up and take it

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Troposphere posted:

if you don't like someone coming into an art group and shoving their fetish j/o material down your throat you should just shut up and take it

Notice how that never happened again
Also notice all it did was prove how easily upset you are over things that aren't even that big a deal.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Won't someone please think of the jerk off artists who desperately claim they are not jerk off artists.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Colon Semicolon posted:

Notice how that never happened again
Also notice all it did was prove how easily upset you are over things that aren't even that big a deal.

no you guys my many many binders bursting to the brim full of robots with tits, pussy, rear end, etc, covered in things like motor oil, and semen, are completely normal and good and you're the one that's mad, actually

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Hello my name is Troposphere i butt into threads about art mediums I don't practice and hyperbole all over the place. also I make everything out to be jackoff material because wowee I love to find sexuality in everything

Afraid of Audio posted:

Won't someone please think of the jerk off artists who desperately claim they are not jerk off artists.

I never claimed I don't draw weird poo poo. I claim that I only posted it here once and p much only because this person was whining.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 29, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Colon Semicolon posted:

Hello my name is Troposphere i butt into threads about art mediums I don't practice and hyperbole all over the place. also I make everything out to be jackoff material because wowee I love to find sexuality in everything

I never claimed I don't draw weird poo poo. I claim that I only posted it here once and p much only because this person was whining.

The forums "ignore" feature may be of interest to you if you find Troposphere that despicable

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Colon Semicolon posted:

hyperbole all over the place

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

sweeperbravo posted:

The forums "ignore" feature may be of interest to you if you find Troposphere that despicable

I didn't even know that was a thing. thank you.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
This is the funniest thing that could have happened to this thread, way to go guys, A+

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've managed to successfully stop laughing. Avshalom is a forums treasure.

Also Scribblehatch you're a capable artist, but when you've got people taking the time and effort to respond sincerely with multiple paragraphs, it helps to treat those posts with the sort of respect you want your own posts to be treated. I think you mean well as a person but you're not communicating that fact very effectively. When someone posts three paragraphs, quoting just one phrase and giving a quick retort can't be interpreted as anything but snippy, if you think about it from the perspective of the people reading your posts. But at least you didn't embarrass yourself in front of the EVE goons so there's that.

For what it's worth some of the advice pics you posted were interesting (and it was nice to get some insight into the Pixar house style of writing), some were kind of vague motivational pic stuff, and the only reason I can find that some people are taking issue with the post-it-note is that they've been in situations where specific advice regarding the topic actually would have been helpful, either to give or receive. And when you've been in that situation, suddenly that simple motivational poster stuff can sound trite, condescending, and insulting to your intelligence. Like, you know, how most people view motivational posters.

It would've felt more relevant if you'd posted those pics as part of a longer response to someone else with specific issues regarding character writing, or even as part of a critique to someone else's work posted in search of a critique. Not too long ago someone wanted to workshop a pitch for a comic idea about a relationship and one of the major threads of criticism was that it seemed aimless (even for an intended comedy short) and that its characters weren't believable on a basic level (and even works set in fantastical or absurd contexts need at least something for the audience to latch onto.)

Thread discussion just happens when it happens, it doesn't need to be started or stopped arbitrarily by someone bringing up topics apropos of nothing. That skirts a bit closely to unnecessary navelgazing, when talking shop is really more directed based on what actually needs to be worked on in the here and now. On the other hand, discussion in this thread has really taken off so there's that.

To sum it up, there usually isn't much discussion in the Making Comics thread because people are usually just working in peace and don't actually need advice unless they're prompting the thread for some.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Colon Semicolon posted:

I make everything out to be jackoff material because wowee I love to find sexuality in everything

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

There's nothing sexual about that spread-legged robot with massive tits. Don't be ridiculous.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

hi :wave:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

I know it's hard to tell the difference because he sounded exactly like me, but do not be fooled

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

i'm confused now

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Why does a robot need big, stonking tiddies?
Why does a robot need tiddies at all?

Anyways, I went to an art supply store and mentioned I'll be going to Autoptic in Minneapolis in two weeks as a volunteer. We chatted about our comics, and he got really excited over my stuff when I showed it to him. Never really had that happen before since I'm used to just my friends/college colleagues giving me praise, not some random dude. It's a pretty nice feeling.

Any tips on where to host a webcomic? Been working on it for a few weeks now. I wanna get at least the first 5 pages out by next weekend, so people that pick up my card/previous print comic can go and see it. I got domains and poo poo, but I'm not great on picking a location for hosting.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I've used Bluehost for quite a while, and they're pretty hassle-free and cheap. As long as you don't need root access or anything, they're a great shared hosting provider.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This thread is getting pretty unreadable. Let's get back to comics shop talk and away from posting about posting and tittygate 2015.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The convention I'm going to this weekend is turning into a clusterfuck and was almost cancelled, but if you're in Seattle and want to come see me at Galacticon, I think I'll still be there.

I'll be in Seattle either way since my girlfriend has family we can just go stay with if nothing else.

Anyway, I made some little books and it was rad to hold them in my hands. Just zines, but I'm technically in print!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, it feels good to hold a mini of your own stuff. I need to get into gear and figure out what I'm printing for SPX and Topatocon this year.

I'm also doing the building blocks for a second comic, a western based on an episode of the Gunsmoke radio program. It would involve things I like drawing (cool ladies busting heads and sprawling outdoor scenery) and things I'm not so good at (guns and people on horseback).

Older, initial concept art.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Galacticon (as in Battlestar Galactica) cancelled all their Battlestar Galactica guests two days before the Con opens.

This is going to be an interesting weekend.

Right now I'm just looking at it as "Well, at least every con I do after this will be better."

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yiiiikes, that's some bad news.

Whip up some "Galacticon sucks" minis ;) . You can even do a one page zine to save on costs.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 29, 2015

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Oh man, that way of making one-page zones is awesome! I use it all the time. It's perfect because you can also turn the other side into a poster or big piece of art.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Those are loving awesome (I bookmarked the link for another day) but oh my god I am so tired and just have no energy to kick up something new before we leave tomorrow morning. Especially since I'm completely behind on my Daily Comics and need to have everything through Monday (at least) caught up, scanned, and uploaded before I leave.

Some pics from the bookmaking:

And here are some pieces I did because they're fun and also to drum up commissions:

Furiosa:

Starbuck:

and, to drum up even more commissions, I did my girlfriend (who is also named Kara) as Starbuck:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

Szmitten I've been meaning to ask you if you had an email for awhile now. Surely there's other ways to talk to you!
Sure, check Tumblr.
I never knew how booklets that size were stapled like that and now I'm in love with that stapler. That looks so useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've got a long arm stapler for stapling minis but that booklet stapler looks handy, too.