Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Usually about double the budget. The budget is generally bullshit in the first place, and on top of that doesn't include marketing and other costs.

Unless it actually is making money from product placement, I haven't seen it.

The premise is that Adam Sandler is an ad executive so they filled the movie with real products that he could advertise and the main plot is that he's trying to get Al Pacino to do an ad for Dunkin Donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

I haven't watched an Adam Sandler film since Mr. Deeds. It's mad how much money they spend making films

Deeds was the last Sandler film I enjoyed. I just read a list of all his recent works and they end up stopping on 50 first dates as his last good movie, but I thought that one was garbage too.

Its actually incredible how many terrible movies he's shat out recently, you kinda blank them from your memory:

Spanglish, The Longest Yard, Click, Reign over Me, I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry, You don't mess with the Zohan, Bedtime Stories, Funny People, Grown ups, Just go with It, Zookeeper, Jack and Jill, That's my Boy, Grown ups 2, and Blended.

:stonk: 15 completely unwatchable films in a row.

Also I just saw a trailer where Sandler says the only games he's ever played are the ones in the film. Qbert, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders. He hasn't played a single video game since, and he wasn't even particularly good to begin with. But yeah, sure, you're the right guy to make a movie about videogames.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Pixels will play in Peoria, and Gen Xers and Millennials love retro videogame stuff, so there are plenty of mouths to shove the poo poo sandwich into

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Pixels will play in Peoria, and Gen Xers and Millennials love retro videogame stuff, so there are plenty of mouths to shove the poo poo sandwich into

Eh, its PG-13 and I see a bunch of parents saying they'll see some of the many PG movies with their kids instead, its also horribly misogynist.

And what is the target demo anyways? If its adults who played space invaders, this movie looks boring as hell. If its kids... they've never played space invaders! They might recognize pac-man but that's it. How the gently caress are they going to know who Qbert is? Pick some modern references instead.

Pixels is just like the vastly shittier Wreck it Ralph starring Adam Sandler, but not as Ralph, instead he's just playing Adam Sandler, inexplicably in the middle of a videogame movie, just as confused as you are.

Some great reviews though

quote:

"Pixels in an unmitigated piece of godawful dog s--t. It's existence feels ultimately like poison or a general infection. It is cinematic strychnine, celluloid chlamydia. Pixels isn't a movie, it's a mother--king active crime scene, and the crime is cultural vandalism…Pixels is bad enough to make you hate the things you love, and watching it made me want to take a blowtorch to every scrap of video game memorabilia in my home."—MovieBob

"Take the basic premise from Galaxy Quest but swap out Star Trek with retro video games, throw in some nifty special effects and what could possibly go wrong? Three words: Adam F#%&ing Sandler….In scene after scene, Sandler's bozo loser schtick brings Pixels to a screeching halt…Sandler is hogging the screen with his humiliatingly unfunny self-confidence conflict and love interest arc. The silence, where there was supposed to be laughter, made the screening I attended uncomfortable."—Mashable

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Every time I read about Pixels it just sounds like the Tales of Interest segment from Futurama. Which pretty much exhausted the available jokes in 7 minutes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vulpes posted:

Every time I read about Pixels it just sounds like the Tales of Interest segment from Futurama. Which pretty much exhausted the available jokes in 7 minutes.

That's the other side of it, its a movie literally coping a futurama episode.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, its PG-13 and I see a bunch of parents saying they'll see some of the many PG movies with their kids instead, its also horribly misogynist.

And what is the target demo anyways? If its adults who played space invaders, this movie looks boring as hell. If its kids... they've never played space invaders! They might recognize pac-man but that's it. How the gently caress are they going to know who Qbert is? Pick some modern references instead.

Pixels is just like the vastly shittier Wreck it Ralph starring Adam Sandler, but not as Ralph, instead he's just playing Adam Sandler, inexplicably in the middle of a videogame movie, just as confused as you are.

Some great reviews though

I read someone describe it as "like that one episode of Futurama but stretched out to a whole movie." I'd much rather have that instead (and so would probably everyone except the people who are in that movie, and maybe even some of them).

"Instead of shooting at where I was, you should have been shooting at where I was going to be!"

e: drat you, faster-typing goons!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I just saw a trailer where Sandler says the only games he's ever played are the ones in the film. Qbert, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders. He hasn't played a single video game since, and he wasn't even particularly good to begin with. But yeah, sure, you're the right guy to make a movie about videogames.

I'd say a guy who is only familiar with the classic arcade games is exactly the kind of person to make a movie about a nerd whose gaming tastes stalled in 1982.

Also kids are going to know who Q*Bert is because they've seen Wreck-It Ralph.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

Spanglish, The Longest Yard, Click, Reign over Me, I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry, You don't mess with the Zohan, Bedtime Stories, Funny People, Grown ups, Just go with It, Zookeeper, Jack and Jill, That's my Boy, Grown ups 2, and Blended.

Reign Over Me was enjoyable enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Also it and Funny People were just movies that Sandler was in, not Adam Sandler movies.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It was depressing as hell, but I assumed it was a way for the people who made the movie to deal with losing someone in the WTC attacks, so I gave it a bit of leeway as far as "fun enjoyable entertainment time."

Also, Sandler played a bunch of Shadow of the Colossus in it (or someone off-screen played it for him).

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

beats for junkies posted:

Also, Sandler played a bunch of Shadow of the Colossus in it (or someone off-screen played it for him).

Yeah even though that symbolism was super obvious it kinda worked.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I saw Antman over the weekend and when Rudd and Lily were working out/training montage there was a quick frame where Lily was pretty ripped and I was surprised they would have a female lead be that muscular but quickly realized that it was just that quick scene and must have been a stunt double.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

KoB posted:

I saw Antman over the weekend and when Rudd and Lily were working out/training montage there was a quick frame where Lily was pretty ripped and I was surprised they would have a female lead be that muscular but quickly realized that it was just that quick scene and must have been a stunt double.

Well it's not unheard of - check out Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow or Jessica Biel in pretty much anything. But yeah, probably a stuntwoman in this case.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a joke post right?

No, I heard it wrong and figured wrong, but I guess I wasn't the only one.

Shai-Hulud posted:

:ssh: I had to look it up because i heard "Black Tongue" as well.

We're idiots together! Man, I'm doing a lot of backpedaling after having it pointed out that I'm wrong today.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

This one opened at #2 in the box office with only $24 million, with an $88 million budget, which doesn't take into account the massive ad push they've done. This thing is a certified flop. Although it doesn't matter since Sandler has already moved over to a production deal with Netflix (the first of which made the news a couple of months ago when all the Native American actors walked off set because of the offensive jokes at their expense) so he'll still keep making low effort garbage movies.

I remember when Jews made funny jokes at indians expense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6nHtEYdy2I

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

KoB posted:

Haven't seen Ant Man so I cannot comment on her rippedness there, but wasn't Lily a fitness model before she became an actress? She's pretty buff in most of Lost, anyway.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Vulpes posted:

Well it's not unheard of - check out Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow or Jessica Biel in pretty much anything. But yeah, probably a stuntwoman in this case.

Would legit buy any workout book or video by Jessica Biel, she is pretty loving fit for an actress, she's in the wrong biz

KoB
May 1, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Haven't seen Ant Man so I cannot comment on her rippedness there, but wasn't Lily a fitness model before she became an actress? She's pretty buff in most of Lost, anyway.

The proceeding scenes werent anywhere close.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KoB posted:

The proceeding scenes werent anywhere close.

Well she's wearing some kind of business suit in pretty much every other scene in the movie so it's possible, but I've seen her in other things and yeah I think they probably just caught her double.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Pixels will probably reign supreme in international markets

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

Well she's wearing some kind of business suit in pretty much every other scene in the movie so it's possible, but I've seen her in other things and yeah I think they probably just caught her double.

I will admit that I was surprised at how ripped she was during that montage but I don't remember seeing an obvious stunt double.

What bugged me was Rudd dressing some of his wounds in an overly model pose fashion. Flexed, posed and tilted toward the camera to slim his profile. He got pretty drat fit for the role so it seemed weird and unessisary. It wasn't even goofy like he was trying to show off.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
I think that was just to give a chance for the chick to check him out. It cuts to a close up of her face watching him while that scene is happening.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Boofchicken posted:

I think that was just to give a chance for the chick to check him out. It cuts to a close up of her face watching him while that scene is happening.

Some camera-as-female-gaze for once?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dude's got a pretty loving weird physique if we're being picky though. No chest and prominent abs is not exactly the Clark Kent superhero ideal.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The biggest disappointment about Pixels is that it's actually a great idea and could be a very fun movie if it weren't for Sandler. Had Pixar or the guys from Lego movie gotten a hold it of the story, I'm sure it would have been fantastic.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

MindlessHavok posted:

The biggest disappointment about Pixels is that it's actually a great idea and could be a very fun movie if it weren't for Sandler. Had Pixar or the guys from Lego movie gotten a hold it of the story, I'm sure it would have been fantastic.

I think it would have been fantastic if the writers from Futurama had been able to take a crack at it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Don't worry, Pixar will have their shot at it in 15 years with the PIXELS reboot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MindlessHavok posted:

Really it's lovely that they get a bunch of unrelated game companies to agree to go in on a project and then it's just a lovely comedy. They could have made a cool video game instead, for example.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Any scene with a car sliding around a corner.

In any film.

Ever.

You've had to do more than one take, the skid marks are already there, your dramatic sweeping pan shot of the overall scene does not remove them.

I don't know how to solve this problem, but it has become a recent IIMM for me and I cant stop seeing it in almost everything now.

Similarly, foot prints in sand, or basically anything where I can tell where it's not the first take of a scene.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Grendels Dad posted:

Evangeline Lilly was a model showing off nerd poo poo on The Electric Playground before being an actress.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about the tv show Graceland is how last season and part of this had a fairly large story arc take place in Mexico and for some reason every time they did a scene there they had this yellow filter on everything.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My irrational moment is the opposite direction for that show. He gets radioactive chemicals spilled on his eyes and gets heightened senses / powers. They never even say what the chemicals were and every other character who learns about his powers seems to be perfectly okay with the idea that radioactive waste on your eyes gives you powers, but extremely surprised about other things.

Daredevil - "I was in an accident and had chemicals spilled on my eyes. That's how I can hear your heartbeat, know you're lying, and hear that girl scream from over 6 miles away."

Rosario Dawson - "Obviously, but how did you get into my apartment when... I LOCKED THE DOOR!??!"

They are living in the MCU where aliens invade every other year and a 1000+ year old pagan space God regularly makes trips to earth to take part in military action against techo-Nazis and go to cocktail parties.

Getting superpowers from radioactive gunk getting in your eyes is practically mundane.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

They are living in the MCU where aliens invade every other year and a 1000+ year old pagan space God regularly makes trips to earth to take part in military action against techo-Nazis and go to cocktail parties.

Getting superpowers from radioactive gunk getting in your eyes is practically mundane.

I thought the implication was that he was going to develop the enhanced senses and reflexes anyways during puberty, possibly less traumatically, but the chemicals just made him blind and were enough stress on his body to trigger the changes early, as opposed to just mutating him, like in the comics.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

kizudarake posted:

I thought the implication was that he was going to develop the enhanced senses and reflexes anyways during puberty, possibly less traumatically, but the chemicals just made him blind and were enough stress on his body to trigger the changes early, as opposed to just mutating him, like in the comics.

The explication in basically the one bit of daredevil origin story that I read was that after being blinded he trained up his absurd senses and reflexes the old-fashioned way. That's no less nuts than being a mutant, I guess, but seems a lot more impressive.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, in comic book universes sometimes people aren't officially mutants or super-powered or whatever but are just ubermensch enough to be The Best at doing things. Batman, Daredevil, Green Arrow, I think technically Taskmaster counts as one of those too? But literally the only piece of media I've ever actually consumed with Taskmaster in it is Marvel vs Capcom 3, so for all I know he might actually be properly Super.

Although I bet you could get a pretty fun movie off of Taskmaster, a superhero movie about a guy who can learn anything from seeing it done pretty much writes itself.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does the TV show actually say the chemicals gave him powers of any kind? Did they not just make him blind, and his powers all come from being blinded young / lose one sense improve others effect + boxer dad + Stick training?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Does the TV show actually say the chemicals gave him powers of any kind? Did they not just make him blind, and his powers all come from being blinded young / lose one sense improve others effect + boxer dad + Stick training?

No Chemicals definately helped. Stick can almost do as well as Matt but mat has the whole world on fire radar sense thing. Basically the chemicals Augmentented the whole lose one sense improve others thing into a legit superpower.

Also the chemical made the ninja turtles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Inco posted:

Evangeline Lilly was a model showing off nerd poo poo on The Electric Playground before being an actress.

I imagine having to fend off nerds after these presentation demands a lot of fitness, I stand by my assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Elfgames posted:

Also the chemical made the ninja turtles.

This is the important part, really.

If Disney ever buys Nickelodeon they can finally make it canon.