Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sum Mors posted:

FFVIII actually had the first damage limit breaking attack. Well, two of them. :eng101:(In single damage dealing instances, that is)

Besides Dbl Blk, you can also reflect a multi targetted spell against all 4 of your party members to break the damage cap, iirc.

Well, the first legal damage limit breaking attack, that is.

Oh, are you going to be posting the little individual statements/virtues each character has? They're not mentioned anywhere but the game manual and they're cute little insights into the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
They're in the game. When you don't press buttons on the Start/Continue main screen, images of the characters/phases/virtues are displayed. Kind of gives away who will eventually be playable in the main party, in hindsight.

E: Here they are in a single picture I found on Google. Spoilering because it includes unmet party members.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 29, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Awww man, Vivi and my other favorite character have such depressing quotes. :smith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Too bad Quina and Amarant never get any cutscenes. Amarant's looks like it would've been dope.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sum Mors posted:

FFVIII actually had the first damage limit breaking attack. Well, two of them. :eng101:(In single damage dealing instances, that is)

Besides Dbl Blk, you can also reflect a multi targetted spell against all 4 of your party members to break the damage cap, iirc.

Actually, FF1 was the "first" game to not have the 9999 damage limit. And no, reflecting a multi-target spell only hits once.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, FF1 was the "first" game to not have the 9999 damage limit. And no, reflecting a multi-target spell only hits once.

Well, technically, it's four split-damage spells that delivers hits randomly to the enemy party (sorta like Rapid-Fire from FFV or the Offering relic from FFVI) that all count as one hit, so while it's still restricted by the 9999 damage cap, you'll still deal twice the normal damage if all four Reflected spells hit the same target. Better yet, Vivi can eventually get a passive skill that makes it even better.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bad Seafood posted:

Too bad Quina and Amarant never get any cutscenes. Amarant's looks like it would've been dope.

Well, you do seem them in CGI very briefly at the end of the game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually thought of that like an hour after I made that post while I was doing something else.

You're absolutely correct, but at the same time you know what I mean.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I like to think this happened at some point when they were hanging out in Dali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct54oxmgk0g

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kemix posted:

Also, IMO, what made FF9 good was that the main character wasn't some sort of emo gently caress face like Cloud and Squall were.

You don't remember Cloud and/or your memories are tainted by the EU poo poo. Go read Elentor's freshly finished FF7 LP. It's a work of art.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

You don't remember Cloud and/or your memories are tainted by the EU poo poo. Go read Elentor's freshly finished FF7 LP. It's a work of art.

Yeah Cloud is nowhere near being an emo fuckface. Neither is Squall really.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cloud is a psychotic jerk who becomes a well-adjusted hero after working through his mental issues. Squall is a manchild who becomes a lovestruck manchild.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Squall has a couple of lines that are kind of :emo: but for the most part he's just a socially awkward goon with a bit of "I'm surrounded by loving idiots" on the side.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Squall's problem is that no one can hear his internal monologue.

Cloud is great.

Zidane is better. Great LP Mega64. I've played it too much but now want to play it again. Is it going to end up available on PS4? If so, cool

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Squall's problem is that no one can hear his internal monologue.

That's why he's funny though. He's constantly making observations and saying none of it to get out of conversations he doesn't want to be in, which is all of them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BioMe posted:

That's why he's funny though. He's constantly making observations and saying none of it to get out of conversations he doesn't want to be in, which is all of them.

I've likened him to Daria Morgendorffer before, but with a stupid weapon.

I stand by that assessment.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zidane's not quite as smooth as he'd like to think he is. He's still young and all, though.

Feels like I'm going to get sucked into the sky...
Let's go inside, Vivi.

Maybe she'll reward me with a kiss or two if I try hard enough.

Oh, Zidane.

AIRSHIP NOISES

What is it? Something wrong?
It's Vivi...
Vivi?

Wow, they're alive, and they're moving around! So the mages built in the village bring back the new ones?

Vivi!

No...

...they don't even...

I tried...again and again...but...they won't even turn around.

I need to go upstairs for a little bit. I gotta turn the ship around before it reaches the castle.

Keep an eye on Vivi, okay?

So Vivi just met probably the first people in his life that actually resemble him and they refuse to acknowledge him. And they're ferrying lifeless copies of themselves for possibly military reasons, which he found out after being kidnapped in a remote village, and that's after escaping from monster-filled ice caverns and evil forests resulting from being chased during a play viewing he had to watch illegally because he was sold a fake ticket.

This is a pretty bummer week for poor Vivi.

Nobody's in good spirits, it seems. Let's look at random objects.

It looks like a treasure chest, but it's actually a part of the ship.

Lindblum is the only place that sells Mist engines. They must be using the same engine they bought years ago.

Dagger must be wondering why the hell Zidane thinks out loud all the drat time. Hell, this game even uses parentheses around dialogue to represent whispering or thoughts. But no, Zidane is compelled to narrate each and every loving thought that comes to his head.

The Black Mages here aren't so stupid at least.

Did the boss and the others escape safely...? I'm sure the boss would tell me that it's none of my business!

Up here we find Steiner being Steiner.

I cannot believe the ship took off without the princess! What will I say to Queen Brahne...?

That is because the ship's crew...

Why, you...! Where is the princess!?
In the engine room.
She is on the ship!?

All is well, now. This ship is returning to the castle.

Steiner's still Steiner. Let's commence with the hijacking.

AIRSHIP NOISES

However...the princess would have been left behind without the thief's aid.

But that was because the crew wouldn't listen! I must run a background check on them. Ah, yes. It is my duty as a knight!

Poor oblivious Steiner. I'm pretty sure he's been told multiple times that Dagger willingly went with her kidnappers and he's still too dense to let that sink into his thick skull.

This FMV's also pretty short so I won't bother posting a video for it. It's an airship making a U-turn.

Also our next foe.

Y-You insolent fool! Turn the ship around!

I will have your head for that!

So, Zidane's tail? He can actually hang off it. Neat.

But they didn't respond to anything until now...

Please wait while I take this fool into custody and turn the ship around.

No...!

Are you okay!?
So, No. 2 was defeated by a small child! You are no match against my power!

This is Black Waltz No. 3. This is the third Black Waltz and the first Black Waltz No. 3.

So, those Black Mages that ignored us earlier? Apparently they do have situational awareness, and a preservation instict to boot.

Get out of my way! Do you dare to fight a Black Waltz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZRUS0RbdI

As Black Waltz No. 3 suggested, things go poorly for the non-waltz mages.

All Vivi can do is watch in horror...

...as many of his kin fall lifelessly to the earth below.

Yeah...really not a good week for Vivi.

Master Vivi, I shall assist you!

Y-Yes?
We'll take care of the Black Waltz. You steer the ship. Things are gonna get even more dangerous from here on. It's not too late to turn back.

I'll be with you either way! But try not to crash the ship!

You fool. Do I look like some lowly black mage soldier?
Even if they weren't your allies, what you did was reprehensible!

Ah, the princess's bodyguards have gathered! How very convenient!
Answer me!
It wouldn't do you any good if I answered, since you're all going to die! Kwahahaha!

Now it's time to face off against Black Waltz No. 3. Remember how Vivi just went into a flying rage after everything that just happened? That surge of emotions going through him?

He starts the battle in Trance, and rightly so. Might as well make use of it while Zidane's goes stealing. You see, Black Waltz No. 3 is the first boss with three steal slots. His semi-rare steal has only a 1/16 chance of being snagged, so we might as well hunker down awhile as-

Oh. I stole them in the very first attempt. Welp!

Silver Gloves, heavy gloves for Steiner, reduce ice damage by half and teach Undead Killer, which does more damage to undead, probably one of the more useless abilities honestly because mages can wreck undead anyway, especially white mages who generally have little else to do during battle. I think you can buy these at the next shopping opportunity, so it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to go for this. But hey, it's a freebie so.

Oh, right, the boss. This guy likes his -ra spells.

They hurt a good bit. He starts off using them single-target.

His common steal is another Steepled Hat, and his uncommon steal is a Linen Cuirass, heavy armor for Steiner which teaches Cover. Cover is of course the ability that lets the user take damage from physical attacks in place of characters with low HP, in this case 1/6 their Max HP. And unlike Zidane, Steiner's equal-opportunity in taking hits because he's that honorable.

Eventually, No. 3 will go up in the air. This changes his single-target spells to multi-target, which is kind of annoying to heal since you're stuck with Potions but the reduced damage makes it not so terrible.

Oh, and Black Waltz No. 3 counts as Aerial, which means he's susceptible to Bird Killer.

Vivi's Trance will soften him up a good bit to start with, so with his magic and Steiner's physicals No. 3 should go down soon enough.

AIRSHIP NOISES

I exist only to kill!

Nice killing there, chump.

I think that was the last one.
How do you know!? Are you...!?

A waltz is a dance performed in triple time, or three beats per measure. Thus it makes sense there's only three of the drat things, and it makes sense for Zidane with his theater background to know this while Steiner's clueless about it because it has nothing to do with rescuing princesses. I'm no expert myself and it was probably this game that somehow led me to learn this initially.

Vivi needs all the pick-me-ups he can get.

All defeated!
Betrayed us, Steiner did! It is all his fault!

Unstable, the ship becomes! Don't let go of the steering wheel!
No. 3 is coming back!
True is it!? Hurray!

It's broken!!!
Made its magic too powerful, we did!
There's nothing we can do now!

Uh, great plan, guys.

-----

AIRSHIP NOISES

Yes!
South Gate is a huge gate built exclusively for airships, but...maneuvering through it could be tricky. Do you want me to do it, Dagger?
I want to do it on my own...
Alright... We don't have clearance. They might close the gate on us. It should be okay, though. Security was totally lax when I came through here on the theater ship.

Assuming I remember correctly, Dagger is the third Final Fantasy character to hold the rank of Captain after Cecil and Faris. She earns the rank despite never having flown an airship before nor having any military experience whatsoever. This is one of the game's biggest weaknesses.

Princess! Please turn the ship around!

He might crash into us!
Dagger, Rusty's right! It's headed straight for us!

Don't be ridiculous! What if the gate closes on us!?
There's no way we can outmaneuver him in this cargo ship! We'll slide in before the gate closes and shut him out! That's our only chance!

Dagger, stay on course no matter what!
Okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kahtby9PctM

So the fraudulent Captain Dagger is charged with trying to evade a crazed magician using a dinky cargo ship despite having no flight experience.

Zidane is understandably concerned with this matter of affairs.

Vivi meanwhile is too burned out from the week of mindfucks to really give a poo poo anymore.

At least until this jerkwad cuts us off. We've got plenty of room and all!

Vivi's had enough of this poo poo and just nukes him because gently caress yet another boss battle with this guy.

Then Vivi decides to take a nap.

Zidane rushes in to grab Vivi before he joins the other mages in being debris.

And is so clumsy in doing so he almost throws Vivi off the airship itself. You can kind of see Vivi's pants and shoes in that last shot.

Meanwhile, No. 3 has caught up and is about to-

...blow himself up because he electrocuted his own ship.

Zidane cannot comprehend the stupidity of such a situation, as you may imagine.

Even Black Waltz No. 3 is all, "...Wait, what the gently caress did I just-"

And everything turns out alright! Sure, why not.

Next time, Captain Dagger is arrested for driving without her airship license. There may or may not be mutinies involved.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I think this is where I first started to warm up to Steiner, and understand his character a bit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This whole sequence with the cargo ship is honestly one of my favorite bits in the game.

Whenever I think of FFIX, in a vacuum, nine times out of ten it is this specific segment.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Black Waltz 3's "Oh poo poo" face is always fantastic. :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Vivi's arc on the whole is absolutely fantastic, and is the longest running one along with Dagger's. And this moment really kickstarts it. He's stopped stuttering, he's standing up for himself and other people, and overall everyone's favorite WMD is growing up fast. It's neat to see it better in screenshots.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

He exists only to kill.

Suicide through stupidity is still a form of wanton murder. :downsgun:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think when Zidane and Vivi almost go off the side of the ship Dagger either brushed one of the walls and caused a massive thump, or the wind currents of going through such a narrow opening flung them off.

In any case, from start to finish the airship sequence is one of the best parts of this game. The FMVs are great, you get a little more development on a few characters, and you meet a boss that you can't wait to beat up after his introduction.

Stealing those Silver Gloves is kind of optional, as you can Find them in the Synth Shop in the next town on a table. But hey! Free stuff!

Edit: And yea, that "I hosed that up" face by the Black Waltz is amazing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Fun thing to know: The German translators were apparently fans of The Three Tenors. Because that's what those three goons are called in the German localization. The principle stays the same, of course. There can only be three and Zidane has more reason to know about them then Steiner.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Vivi's had enough of this poo poo and just nukes him because gently caress yet another boss battle with this guy.
It's anime as hell for anger to unleash hidden potential (Trance too I suppose) but I still love this part. Vivi is the best part of this already charming game.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Assuming I remember correctly, Dagger is the third Final Fantasy character to hold the rank of Captain after Cecil and Faris. She earns the rank despite never having flown an airship before nor having any military experience whatsoever. This is one of the game's biggest weaknesses.

You only forgot the best Captain. :colbert:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Mega64 posted:

This actually got me curious. Let's see.

Cecil (Captain of the Redwings)
Faris (General piracy)
Steiner (Knights of Pluto)
Beowulf from Tactics (Lionel Knights? I can't remember specifically)

I think that's it for playable characters, though if you want to get technical, Wakka is the captain of the Besaid Aurochs.

Edit: Leila from FFII is also a pirate captain.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 30, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mega64 posted:

Traditionally, in most cases whoever is in command of a ship is given the honorary title of Captain, regardless of their actual rank (whether lower or higher)! You may see this tradition in action in, for instance, commercial aircraft whose commanders hold no military rank whatsoever! :science:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah, yes. This is one of the best sequences in the game. You see the characters and how they are in just a few moments near perfectly.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This FMV sequence is my favorite in the series. The music, the cinematography, and the action are just amazing.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

grandalt posted:

Ah, yes. This is one of the best sequences in the game. You see the characters and how they are in just a few moments near perfectly.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This FMV sequence is my favorite in the series. The music, the cinematography, and the action are just amazing.

Right? And its not even the end of a disk!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Agreed, that last cutscene was the greatest. I remember watching it several times as a kid and thinking that I could not imagine video games getting any better than this. Looking at it now I can definitely appreciate how other elements of the story are much more entertaining in retrospect.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

THis is the picture I use for my Windows 8 lock screen

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Yeah! And it's short and effective. Cutscenes don't need to last an hour to have an emotional effect.

Black Waltz #3 establishes himself really quickly, and makes quite an impression for someone who blows himself up after the booss battle.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I am honestly impressed with what they've done with Vivi here. Like this series of events is spiteful, but.... there's a lot of heart in how he reacts to this poo poo. That more than anything sells what's going on here for me.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

gbuchold posted:

It's anime as hell for anger to unleash hidden potential (Trance too I suppose) but I still love this part. Vivi is the best part of this already charming game.

Well it's not like he could set things on fire with his mind before, he's normally just too nice to blow poo poo up like that.

And of course he faints immediately afterwards too. Speaking of which: kidnappings 3, knockouts 4.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Star Platinum posted:

You only forgot the best Captain. :colbert:

But Jak from Jak and Daxter isn't a captain at all, what are you talking about.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The real question is do any of these so-called captains remember Doctor Tot?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I love the whole airship sequence. Evil Forest, Ice Cavern, Dali, they're all lead-in, tutorial, and getting you comfortable with the game, with the only real whammy coming right at the end of Dali.

The airship sequence is where things really start. Steiner gets his first opportunity to do something other than scream "princess" and "castle" all the time. Vivi is smacked in the face with the fact that there are not only others like him, but that some of them are goddamn cruel and he ain't gonna take it. Zidane's as cheerful and optimistic as ever, and nicely supportive of both Garnet and Vivi without being annoying or sappy about it. And Garnet? Gets to fly a damned airship during one of the best cutscenes in a game filled with excellent cutscenes.

Sure, as a sequence it's only a few minutes long and consists of just a bit of dialogue, a boss battle, and two FMVs, but the space is so well used. Excellent writing, translation, use of music, along with great animation... It exemplifies what makes this game so good. (And a large part of why I will always consider this game to be the best Final Fantasy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Zidane seems to have a really weird head.

• Locked thread