Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tonic posted:

Anyone have a working coupon for NFL Gamepass for this season? My subscription is set to renew and I'd like to not pay the full $200 or whatever.

I wish Dish would allow their Redzone package on Sling.TV. I'd sign back up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

In regards to the Hulu/Showtime set up, I was about to subscribe through Hulu but it came up with this message:

quote:

You are adding a SHOWTIME free trial to your subscription today.

By adding SHOWTIME, you will forfeit the remaining days in your current free trial.

I do not know how it works if you use Bing Rewards to pay off Hulu so be careful (I decided to try it out just through the Roku store instead)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

In regards to the Hulu/Showtime set up, I was about to subscribe through Hulu but it came up with this message:

I do not know how it works if you use Bing Rewards to pay off Hulu so be careful (I decided to try it out just through the Roku store instead)

As far as I know there should be zero difference in free bing subs vs cash money subs, similar to amazon gift cards. That being said I will save the 8.99 clams and get the few shows I care about elsewhere. Don't get me wrong that's a good deal and I fully support stuff moving this direction.

Now you've got me curious though. Was that a generic message for everyone or are bing accounts flagged somehow? I doubt it because unless it's month by month I know many people who don't use Bing for it every month (they slack on bing sometimes and don't make enough points)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 9, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also a couple days ago the Bing Rewards Hulu card went up in price, from (I think) 420 points for a month to 680.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also a couple days ago the Bing Rewards Hulu card went up in price, from (I think) 420 points for a month to 680.

Their resistance only makes my bot Bing harder

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I got an error trying to redeem. I wonder if it's cause my hulu+ is paid through an IOS in app purchase.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Does anyone have experience running Kodi on a Roku? Specifically a Roku 3 or 2.

I am running a local Plex server, but would like to expand so that I can cut out premium channels (like HGTV and Bravo) from my cable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont believe kodi runs on a roku.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Kodi does not run on any Roku device. One of the cheapest supported devices is an Amazon Fire stick, which is actually completely adequate for your needs.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Slowhanded posted:

Kodi does not run on any Roku device. One of the cheapest supported devices is an Amazon Fire stick, which is actually completely adequate for your needs.

i would suggest waiting till at least the big Amazon sale there is apparently a new model Fire TV something on the way.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

does starz offer a cable free package like hbo now, or is on on the horizon?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

badjohny posted:

does starz offer a cable free package like hbo now, or is on on the horizon?

Right now you need a TV sub with someone. I haven't heard anything about them going the HBO route.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What is the difference between XBmC, Kodi, and tvmc?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pillowpants posted:

What is the difference between XBmC, Kodi, and tvmc?

Kodi is XBMC, they rebranded a while ago.

http://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Maneki Neko posted:

Kodi is XBMC, they rebranded a while ago.

http://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/

Which is wise, because I never got into it because "I don't have an Xbox, why would I use Xbox Media Center."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Medullah posted:

Which is wise, because I never got into it because "I don't have an Xbox, why would I use Xbox Media Center."

They were gonna be sued

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, apple exclusivity is what I meant.

I believe Apple procured a 90-day exclusivity contract. Android and other platforms are supposed to come late July/August.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Comcast announced a new live TV streaming service (called Stream) for Comcast internet subscribers for $15/month.

The long-and-short of it is:
-Only available to Comcast Internet customers
-Live TV is limited to broadcast networks and HBO
-Includes access to TV Everywhere (lets you sign in to cable network apps, may allow you to watch live if network allows for live streaming via their apps) and a 20-hour cloud DVR.
-Only available for mobile devices

So it's a more restrictive version of Sling TV, basically.

BGR lays out all the things wrong with it which boils down to it's $15/month for a 20 hour cloud DVR for local networks and access to the TV Everywhere system. If that doesn't appeal, it can usually be cheaper to get a TV/Internet bundle from Comcast and get a lot more usability out of that instead of this new service.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 13, 2015

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I'm so close to calling Comcast and telling them to get hosed right now. Wife won't buy into ditching the cable TV unless she can get TLC and a few other brain-shutdown level background noise channels. The only thing that I really want is the pac12 network and ESPN/2/u.

I have a roku2, appletv2, Fire TV stick, Xbox w/ old version of xbmc and all that. I'm just so sick of paying them so much money for nothing of value.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thwomp posted:

Comcast announced a new live TV streaming service (called Stream) for Comcast internet subscribers for $15/month.

The long-and-short of it is:
-Only available to Comcast Internet customers
-Live TV is limited to broadcast networks and HBO
-Includes access to TV Everywhere (lets you sign in to cable network apps, may allow you to watch live if network allows for live streaming via their apps) and a 20-hour cloud DVR.
-Only available for mobile devices

So it's a more restrictive version of Sling TV, basically.

BGR lays out all the things wrong with it which boils down to it's $15/month for a 20 hour cloud DVR for local networks and access to the TV Everywhere system. If that doesn't appeal, it can usually be cheaper to get a TV/Internet bundle from Comcast and get a lot more usability out of that instead of this new service.

Yeah that really doesn't seem like a good deal at all. I've got Comcast internet highest tier + digital starter + HBO for $85 a month, which is a hell of a lot more channels than that. No DVR, but a HDHomeRun Prime + Windows Media Center eliminates the need for that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

God drat it we're not all cancelling cable because what we really want is Cable With Buffering

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

otter posted:

I'm so close to calling Comcast and telling them to get hosed right now. Wife won't buy into ditching the cable TV unless she can get TLC and a few other brain-shutdown level background noise channels. The only thing that I really want is the pac12 network and ESPN/2/u.

I have a roku2, appletv2, Fire TV stick, Xbox w/ old version of xbmc and all that. I'm just so sick of paying them so much money for nothing of value.

Have you looked at amazon instant video? They have a bunch of the TLC series on there. I had the same problem with my wife, but paying $30 for a season of whatever terrible exploitative show she likes is better than springing $80 a month for a bunch of channels we won't use.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Has there been any news on when HBO Now is going to get less retarded? The apple deal ends soon, doesn't it?
After all that fuss in this thread, no one mentioned that Apple exclusivity lifted a few days ago?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

After all that fuss in this thread, no one mentioned that Apple exclusivity lifted a few days ago?

Ha, well we can still complain about no console or fire tv support.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

People are too busy watching HBO Now to post.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
The bitrate is still poo poo.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The bitrate is still poo poo.

It looks pretty good to me, is there a key combination to see the actual bitrate?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

People are too busy watching HBO Now to post.

Still waiting for a console version why would I stream on a tablet or browser?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Slimy Hog posted:

It looks pretty good to me, is there a key combination to see the actual bitrate?

Dunno but it is pretty obvious on Sunday night when I watch Netflix e.g. Orange is the New Black and then switch to HBO Now to watch True Detective, its jarring.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AlmightyBob posted:

Still waiting for a console version why would I stream on a tablet or browser?

Pretty trivial for me to send what is on my tablet or laptop to my tv

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty trivial for me to send what is on my tablet or laptop to my tv

Screen/tab casting is garbage for idiots

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Screen/tab casting is garbage for idiots

They've actually improved it tons in the past month or so. I suggest trying it again if you haven't in a while.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have a roku 3 and I am having a problem with Netflix on it. I can watch programs on it but eventually it will come up with an error message along the lines of "We are having issues accessing this title. Please choose another title or try again later." When I try to play anything else, it will load slowly to 25% and then get stuck. Eventually, it will bring up that error message again. This will last for a day or so, then work fine only to do it again in a couple of days. If I try to play it on my IPad, there is no problem.

Anyone have an idea about what is happening and what I can do to fix it. I have already reset my modem, router and both roku 3's.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have a roku 3 and I am having a problem with Netflix on it. I can watch programs on it but eventually it will come up with an error message along the lines of "We are having issues accessing this title. Please choose another title or try again later." When I try to play anything else, it will load slowly to 25% and then get stuck. Eventually, it will bring up that error message again. This will last for a day or so, then work fine only to do it again in a couple of days. If I try to play it on my IPad, there is no problem.

Anyone have an idea about what is happening and what I can do to fix it. I have already reset my modem, router and both roku 3's.

Whenever I get that erroron my PS4, I force quit the netflix app, and then everything streams fine once I reopen Netflix.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I've had this happen maybe 5 times over the past few months and it's always been episode specific. Each time it's happened I was able to play other episodes fine but one specific one threw the error over and over when I tried to play it. I then turned around and played it fine on another device to rule out my connection and Netflix so all fingers pointed to the Roku 3.

I know you said you've reset it, but did you reset it within the Roku menu or did you simply un/replug the power cable? Normally hard resets own, but when this happened to me the reset via the software was the only way to resolve it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did the system reset and it works again. The difference is that once one episode has this problem; I cannot play another title at all. It does not matter if I switch profiles or shows or episodes. Nothing works.

Also, it seems like once this happens on one Roku, the other Roku shows it too (but that could be just how frequently it is happening).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Verizon FiOS customers can now subscribe to HBO Now.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/28/9060555/verizon-hbo-now-announced

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Thanks I'll look for that when Game of Thrones comes back. When is that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Thanks I'll look for that when Game of Thrones comes back. When is that?
Usually around late March or early April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you're gonna pay $15 for one channel, HBO is totally worth it. Their back catalog is huge. So much amazing content.