Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Contributor has done a bang-up job for me of reducing ads on the web, but it doesn't extend to Admob ads in apps, fwiw.

The percentage of ads you see or don't see apparently has to do with the fact that you're basically using your money to participate in an auction along with the advertisers who are also bidding on that same ad space. If you win, you don't see an ad; otherwise you see the ad from the winning bidder. Google's got some algorithm that attempts to place bids on your behalf so as to maximize the number of ads you block, but also make your monthly buy-in last for the whole month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I don't think I am. He has an AT&T device that he isn't using on AT&T which causes problems on the low cost carrier he abandoned AT&T to use. Why would anyone have a device with carrier firmware without using that carrier? The one reason is because it was cheaper than buying a carrier-agnostic unlocked device either through subsidy or through the second-hand market.

Lo and behold, there are drawbacks to having firmware tied to a carrier you are not using. Having to root to edit a file to get a feature you want to work is not an acceptable solution to the problem of trying to work around issues that only arise due to wanting to avoid AT&T's monthly charge or the OEM/pre-paid carrier's obstacles for doing the action.

It seems like one would have to be quite far into the rabbit hole to believe that this is a normal thing that anyone should have to do.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if he's rooted already. If I weren't rooted already, I'd consider that a pretty good reason to, just under Adblock, Xposed, and TiBu. Also, "having" to do anything doesn't really appear like it even enters the equation. Given that he could achieve the same result with a CM clone, and considering the basically 3 choices he had, why would you choose to stay unrooted and pay more if you don't have to?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wrong. Limiters are nearly always put in place due to government mandate (for example, all German makes put a limiter at 155mph because this is required by German law, and they don't bother to remove it for export. They happily advertise that it's capable of a higher top speed though). Unless you're talking about the rev limiter on the engine, rather than the now ubiquitous speed limiters.

Theres no law requiring to limit cars to 155 mph in Germany. The manufacturers put in the limiter voluntarily to keep people from killing themselves even more.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Theres no law requiring to limit cars to 155 mph in Germany. The manufacturers put in the limiter voluntarily to keep people from killing themselves even more.

Pretty sure there is a law that the tyres you fit to a car must have a speed rating matching or exceeding the top speed of the vehicle.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially if he's rooted already. If I weren't rooted already, I'd consider that a pretty good reason to, just under Adblock, Xposed, and TiBu. Also, "having" to do anything doesn't really appear like it even enters the equation. Given that he could achieve the same result with a CM clone, and considering the basically 3 choices he had, why would you choose to stay unrooted and pay more if you don't have to?

I can see everyone's point, they are right. I still maintain it's quite ridiculous that Cricket, a captive AT&T MVNO, would ask for AT&T converts then give them no way to use the features they offer due to firmware AT&T ostensibly controls but I suppose I'll accept that carriers are terrible as a reason for it.

It's still lovely that one should have to root to do it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dissss posted:

Pretty sure there is a law that the tyres you fit to a car must have a speed rating matching or exceeding the top speed of the vehicle.

Being an android thread, I'll just say that they limit the speed to 250Km/h even if they mount tyres that can be used up to 300Km/h or more. That's with German cars (audi, BMW, Mercedes, WV...) even, if you buy them in France, Spain or whatever. The speed limit is just a restriction they put to not compete on speed but on quality, nothing else.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Supporting my point a bit, the new hotness in Android vulnerabilities is a fault in StageFright, a base media system used everywhere by everything that shows media, with root permission as a matter of course.

Nothing a stock user or a rooted user can do about it; its severity depends on how much permission the manufacturer gave it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ArcMage posted:

Supporting my point a bit, the new hotness in Android vulnerabilities is a fault in StageFright, a base media system used everywhere by everything that shows media, with root permission as a matter of course.

Nothing a stock user or a rooted user can do about it; its severity depends on how much permission the manufacturer gave it.

Disabling auto retrieve mms doesn't remove the attack vector? Source?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mooktastical posted:

Disabling that prevents the automation of the attack, but you can still accept the MMS manually after delivery, and you have no way to know if it's legit or not without reaching out to the sender, which 95% of people aren't going to do if it's sent from a trusted contact.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

I saw reports that there are browser-based vectors as well. Android uses Stagefright in a bunch of places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Since I use CM 12, the vulnerability has been patched for a few days already. :shrug:

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Rye Bread posted:

What's the go-to way for rooting a Verizon S5? I don't care about the bootloader, I just wanted to add Dualshock 4 support for PS4 remote play around the house.

This may have gotten overlooked earlier. Just about everything I've found involves downgrading to 4.4, which I'm looking to avoid. Am I poo poo out of luck?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So I finally jumped on Lollipop now that the Z3C has 5.1.1 on OTA's and the different tweaks I prefer are compatible with it. I am actually very surprised at how smooth a transition it was. I bootlooped a couple times because I hosed up the pre-rooted fw flash, but it worked itself out quickly.

Xposed works, which I figured would be the case, but my Xposed modules seem to be fully functional, as well. Gravity Box, Serajr's Xperia Xposed, Xposed Additions and YouTube Adaway are all working almost flawlessly. I say almost because while I only have the one battery meter on my regular status bar, but two on the first pull down of the notification shade, and three on the second pull down. Oh, I don't think all the features from KK have made it over yet, at least as far as Xperia Xposed goes.

ViPER4Android also started working (wired and Bluetooth) once I actually installed Busybox, so there's that, too.

Battery use seems to be a bit worse, but there are so many variables at this stage that I can't begin to start diagnosis yet. Did they ever fix that memory leak that has been around since launch?

Rye Bread posted:

This may have gotten overlooked earlier. Just about everything I've found involves downgrading to 4.4, which I'm looking to avoid. Am I poo poo out of luck?

This might help:
http://www.droidviews.com/install-lollipop-on-verizon-galaxy-s5-sm-g900v-keep-root-and-enable-wifi-tethering/

I just googled for "Verizon galaxy s5 flash pre rooted" and started picking through it. I haven't done rooted a Galaxy since the S3, so I can't help further.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
[quote="Mooktastical" post=""448424[/quote"]

This might help:
http://www.droidviews.com/install-lollipop-on-verizon-galaxy-s5-sm-g900v-keep-root-and-enable-wifi-tethering/

I just googled for "Verizon galaxy s5 flash pre rooted" and started picking through it. I haven't done rooted a Galaxy since the S3, so I can't help further.
[/quote]
That pretty much says the same thing that I found. Guess I'm buying a PS Vita. *

*I have a 6th month old and a wife that works from home temporarily. I don't get to play on my tv anymore.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
New Factory Image LMY48I (5.1.1) for Nexus 5
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Would someone be so kind as to walk me through babby's first root for my LG-LS720 running Android 4.1.2? I read through the Op and I didn't see my phone listed anywhere in the various "this tool works for these phones" lists, and googling around gives me a bunch of different things with no coherent instructions between them. I just don't wanna accidentally brick my phone or erase all of my data irrevocably or some other horrible thing. :ohdear:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Would someone be so kind as to walk me through babby's first root for my LG-LS720 running Android 4.1.2? I read through the Op and I didn't see my phone listed anywhere in the various "this tool works for these phones" lists, and googling around gives me a bunch of different things with no coherent instructions between them. I just don't wanna accidentally brick my phone or erase all of my data irrevocably or some other horrible thing. :ohdear:
You won't find it on most lists because there was pretty much no development for it. I don't think there are any ROMs for it or even a way to unlock the bootloader, but you will be able to install Xposed Framework, adblocking software, Titanium Backup, and modify system files, all the usual root stuff.

Back up everything you can first
Back up everything you can first
Seriously, back up everything you can first

Towelroot should work for any phone running 4.1.2, all you have to do is

-Go to settings > applications > unknown sources and enable installing applications from unknown sources

-Go to https://towelroot.com/ and click the lambda to download tr.apk

-Run tr.apk

-Reboot

-Go to the Play Store (might still be called Android Market on 4.1.2) and search for SuperSU, install it (you have stock recovery, so choose normal install)

-Reboot when prompted

-Run SuperSU and make sure Enable Superuser is checked, and if you have any common sense, set Defailt access to Prompt and check Show notifications, scroll down and check Tapjacking protection, and set a PIN code. Nothing is foolproof, but that should be enough to prevent you from accidentally giving an app SU access and give you basic protection against malicious apps.

After that, just use common sense security practices - whenever you get a prompt for superuser access take a couple of seconds to ask yourself "did I expect this app to ask for root access and do I want to give it superuser access?" If you deny an app access and later find out that it does legitimately need it, you can run SuperSU and change permissions.

And just a heads-up, if you're on Verizon, the My Verizon app will request superuser access when it runs. I deny it access, but customer service says that it can be used to provide tech support with additional information for troubleshooting so it's (probably) not Big Red trying to hijack your phone or spy on you.

And as always, next time you consider buying a phone, if you think you'll want to be able to root it, go for a Nexus or a Developer/Pure Edition. These devices allow you to unlock the bootloader without hassle. Just keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader is disabling a security feature and rooting without unlocking the bootloader is exploiting a security vulnerability to escalate priviliges; if you can do it, so can malicious software. Don't install questionable software, and if you're installing pirated software, you deserve what you get.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

-Go to the Play Store (might still be called Android Market on 4.1.2)

The Play Store is independent of Android version and is automatically kept up to date on even the oldest of devices.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

The Play Store is independent of Android version and is automatically kept up to date on even the oldest of devices.
Thanks, wasn't positive since I booted up my Droid X for the first time a week or so ago and it was still Android Market. I remember when it changed over the first time when I was pretty new to Android and I had a few minutes of "what the gently caress, where did the market go?" and had to Google it to realize it changed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm out but Ron Amadeo over at Ars has an article with screenshots of the evolution and I think goes into the nuts and bolts of it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

This is true but the APKs have a minimum version. I think Google Play was 2.2+ only. when it changed, but it may have been 2.1+. There were definitely some really old devices that were left on Android Market. Current builds are 2.3+.

Edit: This says 2.2+.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/03/06/the-android-market-is-now-google-play-integrating-apps-games-books-and-movies/

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks, this looks like it'll help a ton. Mostly I want to root my phone so I can move a bunch of the current apps and stuff I have to an SD card and free up some of the tiny tiny 2GB hard drive it has. As it is, I seem to be able to store infinite songs, movies, pictures, and ringtones on whatever size SD card I insert into the drat thing, but I can only install like 1 game and maybe 2 or 3 utility apps aside from the pre-installed stuff on there, and it's infuriating. My limited googling suggested that it's not possible to move apps over to SD on this phone unless it's rooted, so that's what I'm trying.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks, this looks like it'll help a ton. Mostly I want to root my phone so I can move a bunch of the current apps and stuff I have to an SD card and free up some of the tiny tiny 2GB hard drive it has. As it is, I seem to be able to store infinite songs, movies, pictures, and ringtones on whatever size SD card I insert into the drat thing, but I can only install like 1 game and maybe 2 or 3 utility apps aside from the pre-installed stuff on there, and it's infuriating. My limited googling suggested that it's not possible to move apps over to SD on this phone unless it's rooted, so that's what I'm trying.
Just a heads-up, preinstalled apps are on the System partition and removing them will not free up space. I don't know if the ease of moving apps to SD has improved since I had a phone with 4.1.2, but if you're rooting to get basic functionality out of an older low end phone with no development support, you might want to consider a Moto G if you can afford it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GWBBQ posted:

Just a heads-up, preinstalled apps are on the System partition and removing them will not free up space. I don't know if the ease of moving apps to SD has improved since I had a phone with 4.1.2, but if you're rooting to get basic functionality out of an older low end phone with no development support, you might want to consider a Moto G if you can afford it.

drat. Maybe I should just give up and buy a better phone then. I think my job would cover the expense of the monthly payments, but I don't wanna be stuck with that bill if I ever leave them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

drat. Maybe I should just give up and buy a better phone then. I think my job would cover the expense of the monthly payments, but I don't wanna be stuck with that bill if I ever leave them.

Buy a 3rd gen Moto G with 16 GB storage and 2 GB ram for $220 (it is waaaaay worth the $40 more than the base model).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Rooted Android - Maybe I should just give up and buy a better phone

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RVProfootballer posted:

Buy a 3rd gen Moto G with 16 GB storage and 2 GB ram for $220 (it is waaaaay worth the $40 more than the base model).

Yeah... I got my current phone for $70 last year because I'm broke as hell.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah... I got my current phone for $70 last year because I'm broke as hell.
If you can manage $25/month, apply for the Motorola credit account (pretty sure they approve everyone for at least $500) and you can buy with no interest for 12 months. You're guaranteed two years/three major Android versions of support from Motorola so you won't find yourself in two years stuck on Lollipop.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 10, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

EDIT: Nevermind got it.

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 14, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is there a relatively simple way to root a Sony Xperia Z2 running 5.1.1? Trying to read the threads on xda-developers gives me a headache.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is there a relatively simple way to root a Sony Xperia Z2 running 5.1.1? Trying to read the threads on xda-developers gives me a headache.

Well, rooting anything that isn't a nexus or a samsung (because the communy is huge) is normally a headache. My only advice is to embrace that and go full xda. You may lose quality on the camera if I remember correctly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Well, rooting anything that isn't a nexus or a samsung (because the communy is huge) is normally a headache. My only advice is to embrace that and go full xda. You may lose quality on the camera if I remember correctly.

Look up a guide for getting root access to the device, then bury yourself in XDA until you find a ROM that sounds half decent.

XDA is a fantastic resource, but they assume you know the basics.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Even in XDA, there are custom rom threads where the OP cares enough to write a fast tutorial on how to flash and that jizz. But yes, normally they assume you know how to use odin or google tools to punch stuff into your phone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For anyone running the preview on the n5, this guy has been making rootable kernels with none of the :rice: 'optimisation' poo poo to go along with it

It worked great for preview 2, and seems to be working good for 3 as well

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62444400&postcount=1099

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Skarsnik posted:

For anyone running the preview on the n5, this guy has been making rootable kernels with none of the :rice: 'optimisation' poo poo to go along with it

It worked great for preview 2, and seems to be working good for 3 as well

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62444400&postcount=1099

Now we just need a kind soul that would do this for the 6. :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I finally bothered to repartition and reformat my Note's app partition from 2GB to 6GB. Man it sure helps to be able to actually install some loving apps in TYOOL 2015.

Edit: also the CM12.1 based Nightowl 20150802 ROM seems to work a lot better than the 5 month old version I had. I could have upgraded eaerlier but decided I need to repartition too, and I really couldn't be bothered to do that until now.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 23, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My dad gave me his 3rd gen Kindle Fire HD 7 and I was wondering if there's any decent guide for rooting this thing. Really my concern is are custom roms stable enough for this thing for me to bother? Don't really care if I don't get Lollipop 5.1.1 or anything like that.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm finally sick of all the LG and Telcel (I'm in Mexico) bloatware on my G3, and would like to learn more about rooting- how is the day-to-day different? What does a regular user need to know,and how do I keep current? Problem is, the OP hasn't been updated since 2010 and I don't know which guides to trust. What should I start reading? Are there any good guides out there?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

burnsep posted:

I'm finally sick of all the LG and Telcel (I'm in Mexico) bloatware on my G3, and would like to learn more about rooting- how is the day-to-day different? What does a regular user need to know,and how do I keep current? Problem is, the OP hasn't been updated since 2010 and I don't know which guides to trust. What should I start reading? Are there any good guides out there?

Day to day it's not different at all.

A regular user would need to know what a superuser request looks like and why it's happening, but that's it.

Keeping current is a situation unique to your device and I can only speak to Nexuses. I have no idea how devices without factory images are maintained.

Your best bet is to go to the XDA forum for your device and start reading. There's no one universal how-to, it's unique to each device. They'll have the resources you need there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading the thread a bit and I think I know the answer, but just to confirm:

If a particular phone model isn't supported/developed on by XDA, then there generally won't be an easy way to install custom ROMs on it?

My girlfriend finally upgraded her old piece of poo poo Samsung Core (GT-I8260L) and I've been playing around with it out of curiousity (I've always had iPhones). Mostly I wanted to do some sort of fresh install of the OS without all the carrier bullshit, similar to reinstalling the OS on a branded laptop, but from what I can tell there's no simple way of doing that?