Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

univbee posted:

Now which of the literally thousands of different Quadro drivers do you push out on Windows Update? Because the driver you install for 3D Studio MAX isn't the same as the one for last year's 3D Studio MAX, or the one for AutoCAD (again, broken down by year), or Maya (again, by year), or Softimage (again, by year), and that's just software from one of about 100 vendors each with a handful of different driver versions with their own sets of custom tweaks to ensure their render method makes full use of the card in question.
Two things:

1. If that is the reality of the pro graphics world, that's an absolutely idiotic situation and would be best for everyone to solve. Minimum version requirements make sense, maximum version requirements on something actively supported mean someone did something wrong somewhere.
2. nVidia holds copyright on their drivers still. They don't have to allow Microsoft to distribute them. If the Quadro world is really such a mess, don't allow those drivers to be distributed in this fashion for now and work on fixing the problem so they can be updated properly in the future. Simple and works for any similar situation while not restricting a beneficial feature from the rest of us.

xamphear posted:

UAC has always been and still (miraculously) is completely under the control of the end user. The major shift here is the complete and total absence of user choice. I don't think anyone here, even the most staunch Microsoft-haters, are vehemently opposed to the ideas of driver installs and automatic updates. The problem I think most people are trying to express is that they no longer have any agency in the matter, even when situations arise that absolutely require such agency. These aren't theoretical cases of "I want to turn off all updates in case something bad happens because I'm paranoid."They are happening-right-now cases of "I can't get windows update to stop installing the same bad driver over and over again."

I disagree entirely on UAC. The fact that it can be disabled defeats the point, both from a security standpoint and the secondary purpose of making badly designed software annoying to use so it encourages people to either demand their vendors fix their bad designs or find something new. It's an IT person's best weapon against the "we should never update anything unless absolutely forced to" logic that is unfortunately common among non-IT decision makers. Sorry Mr. CFO, I know you love that 15 year old install of Quickbooks, but you can pick between the annoying popup or finally upgrading that ancient crap. Making the use of badly designed legacy software annoying is a good thing.

Regarding the driver updates I agree with someone's earlier suggestion that they be treated just like any other update in the Windows Update process is supposed to be. Two rings of insider testing before release to verify there shouldn't be any major issues and those not critical to security can be deferred by non-Home SKUs for a period of time if they cause problems. As far as I'm aware nothing yet has indicated anything different. Insider devices are all forced to update as part of the nature of the program, and since the problems that have occurred so far have happened during a time where nearly all users were on the insider track...

I don't doubt that there will be some initial pain involved with the introduction of widespread automatic driver updates, but like UAC it will end up eventually forcing most non-lovely vendors to step up their game. I'm more than willing to take some headaches over the next few months in exchange for the long term gain of being able to install a fresh system, possibly toss a network driver at it, and have it figure itself out from there. Especially if vendors like Atheros that historically have made getting drivers a pain in the rear end play ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wolrah posted:

Two things:

1. If that is the reality of the pro graphics world, that's an absolutely idiotic situation and would be best for everyone to solve. Minimum version requirements make sense, maximum version requirements on something actively supported mean someone did something wrong somewhere.

Its really not a bad thing. Drivers are just tuned to each application so you get maximum performance.

Imagine if you could get a driver specifically made for GTAV cause thats all you play.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phantom Limb posted:

Anyone else been seeing 100% CPU usage in Task Manager since installing 10240? Process Explorer is showing normal CPU usage levels (~5%) while Resource Monitor is showing absolute gibberish in the billions of percent. I'm running an i7-2600k and upgraded straight from 8.1.

It's probably indexing things.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Perhaps a good title for the new thread?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Perhaps a good title for the new thread?

That made me laugh MUCH harder than I should've.

So..uhh...pictures coming soon, but something weird happened on my desktop.

The popup came up and then it's like "Well, it's done!" ...but Windows Update says I just need to reboot and then I can get 10.

Except the popup ONLY gives until the 31st of July before you're given the update anyway.

Sooo...yeah.

I don't even know. Can I just never reboot or just wait 3 days or...what.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 29, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got an error twice even after redownloading through Windows update, guess I'll use the tool to make a bootable flashdrive, defeating the purpose of reserving a copy pretty much for me.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm planning on getting a new hard drive soon and want to install Windows 10 on it. Is it possible to install it on a new hard drive or do you have to already have a copy of Windows installed? I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my current hard drive which works fine.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

computer parts posted:

It's probably indexing things.

I thought that, but there isn't a specific process that's causing the CPU usage. If nothing's open, system interrupts expand to use up ~70% CPU. I'm not sure indexing would cause this:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I've had three successful upgrades, but on my personal gaming machine I already had to rollback to 8.1. Windows nor nvidia drivers would work with my 980TI. So I'm reporting in that rollback works :)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Its really not a bad thing. Drivers are just tuned to each application so you get maximum performance.

Imagine if you could get a driver specifically made for GTAV cause thats all you play.

What happens when you boot back to Windows, do you need to use different drivers? What if you start up VLC to watch a movie?

The ability for device drivers to not be custom to one thing has been a boom for developers and consumers.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
So is there any way I can do a clean install with the free upgrade? I know the ISO is up for download but I don't have a key to use with that :/

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

General opinion is to do an upgrade to get a key, then use it to do a clean install.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I just assumed it would activate and never tell me a key. If it gives me one that is super cool.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

monster on a stick posted:

What happens when you boot back to Windows, do you need to use different drivers? What if you start up VLC to watch a movie?

The ability for device drivers to not be custom to one thing has been a boom for developers and consumers.

Boot back to windows? The video card still works like a regular video card. The drivers are simply specialized to perform best in one rendering application over another. These are machines who's primary focus is one application.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
If my windows is already running for two or so years and I have lots of poo poo installed etc,

is it a good idea to take the time on the weekend to redo the whole system`? Ie. format, reinstall and so on?

Is that still a thing, or am I doing unecessary cavemen stuff and should just install windows 10`?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

ElrondHubbard posted:

General opinion is to do an upgrade to get a key, then use it to do a clean install.

I'm trying this right now for Windows 7 Pro to 10. It definitely didn't like my Windows 7 key when trying. Microsoft officially states you need to perform the upgrade first and then a clean install once your upgrade is ready. I'm trying it manually via the ISO.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rahu posted:

So is there any way I can do a clean install with the free upgrade? I know the ISO is up for download but I don't have a key to use with that :/

From my understanding, you must perform an upgrade initially. When that's installed, it activates, and that somehow marks your computer as eligible for clean Windows 10 installations.
I don't think you ever get a product key, although you might be able to use a tool to extract one after install.

Or just do the upgrade, then use that feature to do a "reset" of the system. That should effectively be identical to a true clean install.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

univbee posted:

Yeah, they did this in Windows 8 too. Eliminating ads requires a premium solitaire subscription which I believe is $1.49 a month now.

...I think this just turned me off of windows 10.

It's not even a matter of money, it's the principle of it, ya know? Paying for ad-free solitaire just feels skeevy to me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Boot back to windows? The video card still works like a regular video card. The drivers are simply specialized to perform best in one rendering application over another. These are machines who's primary focus is one application.

Running games used to be like this, FYI. A game came with its own tuned drivers for whatever video and audio cards were out at the time, usually with some fallback compatibility mode. It was not a very good system for anyone, and being able to use something like Miles or DirectX was an absolute godsend to everyone.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I just want Microsoft to send me a loving product key so I can download an ISO, burn it to a USB stick, and basically sandbox Windows 10 on its own hard drive until I can be sure it's not going to break everything I do on my computer.

And most importantly, until I can verify the Metro Netflix app still works.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Windows 10 -> Windows 10 RDP over 4 monitors when I drag my mouse to the edge of say the laptop screen I get this fuckery:

Its on a Lenovo X1 carbon with a Onelink Pro dock and a USB 3 dock driving those 3 external screns

Build 10240 as well; this didn't occur on Win8.1 -> Win10

I blame....intel? help?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I just want Microsoft to send me a loving product key so I can download an ISO, burn it to a USB stick, and basically sandbox Windows 10 on its own hard drive until I can be sure it's not going to break everything I do on my computer.

And most importantly, until I can verify the Metro Netflix app still works.

Clone your current install to a new drive, boot the cloned copy, upgrade it, test away.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To force WIndows 10 to download because your wave hasn't been selected yet to install it.

• Delete everything out of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  • In Windows Updates, Click to search for updates, leave the window open but dont hit search yet
  • Open command prompt as Admin and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" but DONT HIT ENTER
  • In Windows Update, Click to search
  • While it is searching hit enter on the command prompt
  • You're now downloading W10

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!

SlayVus posted:

To force WIndows 10 to download because your wave hasn't been selected yet to install it.

• Delete everything out of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  • In Windows Updates, Click to search for updates, leave the window open but dont hit search yet
  • Open command prompt as Admin and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" but DONT HIT ENTER
  • In Windows Update, Click to search
  • While it is searching hit enter on the command prompt
  • You're now downloading W10

Or

1) Download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2) Run
3) Select "Upgrade this PC now"

Worked for me on my laptop which I reserved on. I find Windows 10 to be generally agreeable, gonna wait a few weeks for my daily driver desktop.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Scinon posted:

Or

1) Download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2) Run
3) Select "Upgrade this PC now"

Worked for me on my laptop which I reserved on. I find Windows 10 to be generally agreeable, gonna wait a few weeks for my daily driver desktop.

Yeah, this 100% works. If you do this route you can also tell it to nuke your programs & documents and start fresh.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've just done a clean install of 8.1 and before even booting to the desktop I got a screen offering the upgrade

It then went directly to windows update downloading 10

Riff
Oct 2, 2005

nielsm posted:

From my understanding, you must perform an upgrade initially. When that's installed, it activates, and that somehow marks your computer as eligible for clean Windows 10 installations.
I don't think you ever get a product key, although you might be able to use a tool to extract one after install.

Or just do the upgrade, then use that feature to do a "reset" of the system. That should effectively be identical to a true clean install.

Yeah it looks like it marks your machine as eligible for windows 10 after you upgrade. But you don't get a key, it just authenticates online I'm guessing. From the microsoft website.

quote:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer."

My plan is to upgrade from windows 8 that's sat on my hard drive and then re-install onto my new SSD. Hopefully it only takes into account Mobo and cpu when checking your hardware matches.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I've tried installing 10 via upgrade and clean straight from Win7 Pro to RTM ISO and it fails the installation process either way. On upgrade, it failed during the second boot phase. For clean install, it failed in the first phase during sysprep. Interestingly enough it has no problem reverting back to Windows 7, so that's good I suppose. Any else encounter this?

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!

Just noticed this in the windows update settings. It seems that Microsoft wants to use p2p to deliver its updates. No way that could ever be exploited! It was ON and "PCs on the internet" selected by default.

Scinon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 29, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Scinon posted:

Just noticed this in the windows update settings. It seems that Microsoft wants to use p2p to deliver its updates. No way that could ever be exploited! It was ON and "PCs on the internet" selected by default.
i thought it would be disabled by default, rip

the actual issue with that is all the revoked updates lately and how slow revocation will be with the distribution method outside of their control

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
For those of us who just did the 'reservation' thing - assuming you've got the assets pre-loaded, can you trigger the upgrade yourself if you want to, you do you need to wait until MS decide it's time to apply the upgrade?

Edit: Yeesh, looks like a missed a few topical posts!

magimix fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 29, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Seems it's already tried and failed a couple of times on my system

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

dissss posted:

Seems it's already tried and failed a couple of times on my system

Just checked on this machine and its listed as it trying to install it yesterday, so imagine its probably a background script check with the Update servers which fails if your not worthy yet to download it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ukle posted:

Just checked on this machine and its listed as it trying to install it yesterday, so imagine its probably a background script check with the Update servers which fails if your not worthy yet to download it.

Pretty sure it's already downloaded - there is a 4.5GB $Windows.~BT folder in the root of c:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

My upgrade icon disapeared. Legit OEM copy of win 8.1 pro. 3 month old computer. The only compatibility issue was air display, so I uninstalled it, rebooted and....... the icons gone.

Very mysterious, microsoft......

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

dissss posted:

Pretty sure it's already downloaded - there is a 4.5GB $Windows.~BT folder in the root of c:

drat, your right. Odd that they would download it even though we aren't allowed to install it yet - assuming that is what failed.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there an installer I can just download because this weird opaque system is just baffling to me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a microsoft version of hearts? I played the windows xp version all the drat time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

duck monster posted:

Is there an installer I can just download because this weird opaque system is just baffling to me.

If you download the iso from the media creation page posted earlier, burn it to a dvd or usb key, you can then run the setup program on the disk from within windows to run the upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So wait, what does the lack of product key mean if my hard drive dies a year from now and I need to install Windows on a new one? Has anyone tried extracting one?

• Locked thread