Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Yeah if it was something stronger like Pine Sol or something it's possible it's melting the plastic or the paint. Get a new cap but honestly I don't even know where my front caps are 90% of the time so it's not the most pressing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Worthwhile clear filter for a Canon 24-105 /4 L? It's 77mm across, not sure what's a good choice. Would this do the trick?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Worthwhile clear filter for a Canon 24-105 /4 L? It's 77mm across, not sure what's a good choice. Would this do the trick?

Why? If it's just for weather sealing, what conditions will you encounter?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Why? If it's just for weather sealing, what conditions will you encounter?

I don't understand your question, I don't think. I'm just looking for a clear filter that won't cause odd light effects and will keep poo poo from touching the surface of the big negative meniscus at the end. My other hobby keeps me outdoors a lot, and in a lot of environments, so there's potential for sand, grit, smoke, water, branches, whatever to touch it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I don't understand your question, I don't think. I'm just looking for a clear filter that won't cause odd light effects and will keep poo poo from touching the surface of the big negative meniscus at the end. My other hobby keeps me outdoors a lot, and in a lot of environments, so there's potential for sand, grit, smoke, water, branches, whatever to touch it.

Easy. The lens Hood for that lens will protect it fine. A clear filter is only necessary for harsh conditions, driving rain, sand storms, predictable salt water spray. Short of that, don't put glass between you and your subject.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-77mm-Protect-Filter-Japan/dp/B000WMFYKM

This works too at half the price. No filter is perfect, but it's a must if you're planning on selling the lens, IMO. Nothing kills the value of a lens faster than a scratch on the glass, even if it has zero impact on the picture (especially on the front element). The 24-105 is fairly cheap used though since it's a pack-in lens. I'd suggest a hood as well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Constellation I posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-77mm-Protect-Filter-Japan/dp/B000WMFYKM

This works too at half the price. No filter is perfect, but it's a must if you're planning on selling the lens, IMO. Nothing kills the value of a lens faster than a scratch on the glass, even if it has zero impact on the picture (especially on the front element). The 24-105 is fairly cheap used though since it's a pack-in lens. I'd suggest a hood as well.

Please, read the thread title.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I shoot outdoors in shyte conditions every chance I get. I never use filters that don't do something dramatic, like polarize the light or make everything orange or put idiotic stars around every point-source of light in the shot.

I like to post this picture whenever this discussion comes up. There's a couple of paragraphs under it on Flickr, but the tl/dr is: no UV filters!
Lifted Up Dome 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

You wanna talk about weather-sealing? Here, have a waterfall - again, no goddam UV filter, non-WR lens on a Pentax WR body (but that combination means no-WR, effectively), and no damage to either lens or camera:
SD 115 Four Waterfalls 61 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You basically have to go out of your way or drop your camera to scratch the front element, they're very durable. If you just put a lens hood over the front and maybe put the front cap back on when you take it off, you'll never get any notable scratches.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This is an EF-3 tornado with wind speeds of 150mph that leveled half a town:

This is so close that you can't see both edges of the tornado:

I took lovely pictures because it was dark as hell and I didn't have a tripod, but the lens was just fine with no UV filter.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 29, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I like UV filters because it means when I buy a used lens, the glass is in pristine condition. But as soon as I can, the filter comes off and it goes in the trash.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Geektox posted:

Yeah if it was something stronger like Pine Sol or something it's possible it's melting the plastic or the paint. Get a new cap but honestly I don't even know where my front caps are 90% of the time so it's not the most pressing thing

I found a good deal! :v:

Also, D600 arrived today. It's really nice. Looking forward to taking it out and about this weekend to give it a good test run.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Bought the Hoya HD2 :shepspends:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Why did you go on a tirade about UV filters. The dude asked about clear glass filters, not UV.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Why did you go on a tirade about UV filters. The dude asked about clear glass filters, not UV.

They're essentially the same thing.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When I was photographing some AR15s being shot a casing flew into my lens, I had some generic cheap protective filter on there.

If the casing would've smashed my lens is hard to say. But I'm happy I had the filter on in this situation. Otherwise I don't shoot with one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iSheep posted:

When I was photographing some AR15s being shot a casing flew into my lens, I had some generic cheap protective filter on there.

If the casing would've smashed my lens is hard to say. But I'm happy I had the filter on in this situation. Otherwise I don't shoot with one.

How close were you standing? Casings shouldn't be going that far/fast out of most ARs.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ineptitude posted:

Please explain the difference on a digital camera.

iSheep posted:

The difference in strength of the lens versus a filter is huge. But more importantly, how close were you? I've been hit with a lot of casings from M-16s, and none were hard enough to break glass.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Broken glass (from a broken filter) will easily scratch your lens. Most other things, very unlikely. Even so, scratches on the front element rarely affect the performance anyway.

Lenses are very durable.
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/durable-glass-modern-lenses-cheap-canon-50mm

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bought the Hoya HD2 :shepspends:
If you want to cancel/return it I just remembered that I have the B+W in 77mm that is never going to be used again that I could sell to you for cheap.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 29, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DJExile posted:

How close were you standing? Casings shouldn't be going that far/fast out of most ARs.

torgeaux posted:

The difference in strength of the lens versus a filter is huge. But more importantly, how close were you? I've been hit with a lot of casings from M-16s, and none were hard enough to break glass.

EXIF says 67mm. So pretty close. Since then I've been a bit more careful when going out and photographing shoots like this.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you want to cancel/return it I just remembered that I have the B+W in 77mm that is never going to be used again that I could sell to you for cheap.

I'll pass, I bought it retail cause I just wanted to get it over with. Thank you though!

For all the folks that have had no bad experiences without a filter, my kit 18-55 is dicked up looking in the front, and it wasn't because I took a nail file to it. I know it's not worth anything, and it doesn't affect the shots, and it's not a deal on that lens. But since this is a 24-105mm /4, and I do shoot stuff like guns being used, welding and metalworking, insects that live on dunes or beaches, etc., I hadta.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iSheep posted:

EXIF says 67mm. So pretty close. Since then I've been a bit more careful when going out and photographing shoots like this.

OK, yeah I'd definitely stand further back.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
$1,399 for a grey market D750 via eBay, hassle free returns and eBay's ridiculously buyer-biased policies: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D750-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-24-3MP-FX-format-Brand-New

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

They're essentially EXACTLY the same thing.

UV filter = clear filter.

Nobody makes a clear filter that doesn't block UV. Sometimes they're called "skylight" or something, but they're all the same - just optical-grade clear glass without significant concavity or convexity across either surface; sometimes they're coated with something scratch-resistant or to reduce flare / ghosting. They never have a net positive effect on an image, and occassionally have noticeable degrading effects on image quality. In other words, by putting a UV filter on your lens, the least bad thing you're doing to your pictures is nothing, you cannot help your images with one.

For all the folks that have had no bad experiences without a filter, my kit 18-55 is dicked up looking in the front, and it wasn't because I took a nail file to it. I know it's not worth anything, and it doesn't affect the shots, and it's not a deal on that lens. But since this is a 24-105mm /4, and I do shoot stuff like guns being used, welding and metalworking, insects that live on dunes or beaches, etc., I hadta.

Hey, do what you like, if you get peace of mind from it then it's certainly money well spent.

Now go shoot more, like I should. This applies to everybody, because I'm feeling arrogant and authoritarian today. :hchatter:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

To be fair, some Canon lenses apparently need a front filter installed to complete the lens' weather sealing:

quote:

“EF super-telephoto lenses typically do not require a user-installed filter to maintain weather resistance because they have a gasket at the front element,” says Westfall. “But EF lenses that accept front mounted filters typically do not have gaskets behind the filter mount. Therefore, we strongly recommend using one for maximum weather resistance when desired.”

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02/14/how-a-lens-becomes-weather-sealed/#ebWZ21lY1cojBzjY.99

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheJeffers posted:

To be fair, some Canon lenses apparently need a front filter installed to complete the lens' weather sealing:
That was the only reason I bought the B+W 77mm for my 70-200, and even then it was only on there while shooting water skiiing/wakeboarding.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I thought the 70-200 f2.8 IS II was one of the canon lenses that doesn't actually require a front filter for weather sealing though?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

astr0man posted:

I thought the 70-200 f2.8 IS II was one of the canon lenses that doesn't actually require a front filter for weather sealing though?
I've read both, so I figured better safe than sorry :confuoot:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheJeffers posted:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02/14/how-a-lens-becomes-weather-sealed/#ebWZ21lY1cojBzjY.99

Yes, that's why I asked about whether it was for weather sealing. Even then, most lenses are fine in mist/normal slightly wet conditions.

But, if you only feel safe with one, use it. Read up on how they impact ghosting/flare, as you can mitigate that.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wet day for the 6D by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

hashtagnofilter hashtagnoproblem

red19fire
May 26, 2010

hashtag fingerless gloves

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does heavy fog count as super bad, need filter weather? Like super poor visibility, 20m driving visibility level? My cameras not waterproof eitherway so I'm not getting one but I saw an excellent opportunity for a picture the other night and didn't take it because I didn't want to break the camera.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a $1000 piece of rugged equipment. It can handle mild humidity.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Does heavy fog count as super bad, need filter weather? Like super poor visibility, 20m driving visibility level? My cameras not waterproof eitherway so I'm not getting one but I saw an excellent opportunity for a picture the other night and didn't take it because I didn't want to break the camera.

Fog is fine to shoot in, but you might keep a bag to put it in when you get back in your car if you're running your AC or something to prevent condensation from causing a problem.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I usually keep my camera out on my desk but it's near a window, is it OK to have it exposed to direct sunlight like that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

I usually keep my camera out on my desk but it's near a window, is it OK to have it exposed to direct sunlight like that?

Direct sunlight is fine, it'd be another thing if you had it sitting on your dashboard in a car sitting outside in blazing heat.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

DJExile posted:

Fog is fine to shoot in, but you might keep a bag to put it in when you get back in your car if you're running your AC or something to prevent condensation from causing a problem.

This is the worst when you go to take a picture of something unique and limited in time - like a tornado in my case - and the rear element is fogged to hell.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Haggins posted:

Wet day for the 6D by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

hashtagnofilter hashtagnoproblem

Funny thing is when this happened to my 6D it totally poo poo itself.

Its fine now. But still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

iSheep posted:

Funny thing is when this happened to my 6D it totally poo poo itself.

Its fine now. But still.

hashtagweathersealingisbullshit hashtagwarrantydoesn'tcoverwaterdamage

Don't trust any company that tells you their camera is water resistant, but won't pay for water damage