Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I imagine Beforus was a lot nicer than Alternia, but flawed, and in many ways still alien to human sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I always imagined Beforus being like the opening credits from Monkey dust: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm80r_monkey-dust-s02e02-part-1_fun

The surface is all bright and shiny, but if you look a little closer you'll notice the filth and horrifying secrets lurking just below the surface.

Beforus was a nice if imperfect place full of whiny teens. That's the joke.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Android Blues posted:

I imagine Beforus was a lot nicer than Alternia, but flawed, and in many ways still alien to human sensibilities.

'a lot nicer than Alternia' is setting the bar pretty low really

I like to imagine Beforus had flaws but was still a pretty decent place to live in it's own right. Probably even better than Earth in many ways because Feferi was a legit nice person and Earth loving sucks for anyone but the tiny percentage living in the first world.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bell_ posted:

Feferi seemed interesting to me, but there was only so much spotlight to go around. A Derse dreamer, wearing Prospit colors, I expected that she'd take a role similar to WVs and unite the carapace people though that didn't end up being the case. I thought of her as a privileged, insensitive brutal Disney princess that tries to have empathy for others but isn't usually on the same wavelength. The only time she seemed downright mean was when she trolled Vriska in Alterniabound. (not counting Zak Morrison's Feferi who is AWESOME)

She was also pretty passive aggressive towards Jade, but not maliciously.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bobulus posted:

With the Alternians, as soon as this pressure was removed (Aradiabot explodes and stops fixing things) all their self-destructive, murderous, unexplored tendencies came out and half the team died.

Wouldn't that mean that Karkat was / is actually a tremendously lovely leader who only managed to hold that title because Aradia was fixing everything he did incorrectly? :(

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nah. If anything she prevented timelines where he didn't lead the others. Even if that is true though, you can't just call your accomplishments invalid because there is another timeline where they didn't happen.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Prison Warden posted:

Question: you take a broom, you replace the handle, and then later you replace the brush. And you do that, over and over again. Is it still the same broom? Answer: no, of course it isn’t, but you can still sweep the floor.

I was hoping someone in the comic would make that Ship of Theseus issue an explicit sticking point, rather than the sort of vague discomfort that Karkat and Dave have shown. I can't remember if this Jade knows that another John has arrived from a retconned timeline to take the dead John's place yet, it might be interesting if in contrast to how quickly everyone else accepted him as "basically John" she rejected him as "not her John". She did have some issues in the pre-retcon timeline with Dave and Davesprite, as well as herself and Jadesprite.

Really though I'm still just casting about for something interesting for Jade to do. I'm sure Hussie will think of something, but it'd be sort of dull if she finally gets a chance to wake up and reunite with the others again and happily accepts everything about them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Justin Roiland totally nailed it for all time in my opinion. It's all hosed up, let's just go watch TV.

Prison Warden posted:

Question: you take a broom, you replace the handle, and then later you replace the brush. And you do that, over and over again. Is it still the same broom? Answer: no, of course it isn’t, but you can still sweep the floor.

Alternatively: yes, it is the same broom. It's your broom, and that's what matters.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

For what it's worth, the dream bubbles confuse the matter since in those examples the replaced components don't stick around, fully assembled, in the Dream Broom-Closet. It's more like buying a new broom of the same type, throwing your old broom away and saying you now have the same broom as before - functionally yes, literally no. To me it adds more stakes to the dream bubbles and Lord English destroying them because I would rather not see the "discarded" versions of characters (especially the versions we were following for a while and who developed into appreciably distinct people from the other versions) erased. It's part of why this last update hit so hard, pre-retcon Terezi and (Vriska) reuniting isn't pointless just because it isn't current-model Vriska and Terezi doing it, even if they are both discarded brooms.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Dolash posted:

For what it's worth, the dream bubbles confuse the matter since in those examples the replaced components don't stick around, fully assembled, in the Dream Broom-Closet. It's more like buying a new broom of the same type, throwing your old broom away and saying you now have the same broom as before - functionally yes, literally no. To me it adds more stakes to the dream bubbles and Lord English destroying them because I would rather not see the "discarded" versions of characters (especially the versions we were following for a while and who developed into appreciably distinct people from the other versions) erased. It's part of why this last update hit so hard, pre-retcon Terezi and (Vriska) reuniting isn't pointless just because it isn't current-model Vriska and Terezi doing it, even if they are both discarded brooms.

I hope the remaining ghosts find a way to preserve themselves, because it's looking more and more like Lord English completely shattering the Furthest Ring is going happen in the endgame. I'm curious what lays beyond the cracks but finding out would kind of suck for the ghosts!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Looks like the Hiveswap website got updated (though not sure of when exactly). It appears to feature a new layout, a slightly more in-depth faq, and a couple of new screenshots, including what I assume is the troll character's hive.

and this tidbit from the faq:

Hiveswap.com posted:

Will Hiveswap have [insert my favorite Homestuck character here] in it?

While it does have some links to Homestuck canon, Hiveswap takes place before the events of the comic, in an all-new setting, with a lot of new characters to meet – more than 100 in all!

That's not to say that a few old favorites can't make an appearance...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In Hiveswap you will find and raise a grub that turns out to be.... Galaga

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You immediately turn him into grubsauce.

Also I really really hope grubsauce isn't actually dead baby trolls ground up into sauce. Because otherwise holy poo poo why

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

One thing that grubs are surely used for is paint, as Nepeta points out in her part of the walkaround in [S] Seek the Highblood.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

subpar anachronism posted:

Looks like the Hiveswap website got updated (though not sure of when exactly). It appears to feature a new layout, a slightly more in-depth faq, and a couple of new screenshots, including what I assume is the troll character's hive.

and this tidbit from the faq:

Hiveswap is set in like the 90s isn't it? So any of the Guardians on Earth could show up aside Nanna. I dont think we've any idea how far back in the Troll universe it was.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Also I really really hope grubsauce isn't actually dead baby trolls ground up into sauce. Because otherwise holy poo poo why

baby trolls are wigglers

grubs are just gross generic bugs

i hope

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

paranoid randroid posted:

baby trolls are wigglers

grubs are just gross generic bugs

i hope

No, wigglers are trolls who have lususes and are out in the world. Grubs are newly-hatched trolls.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
STOP EATIN' BABIES YOU FUCKIN' SAVAGES

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Stop being culturally insensitive.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Burkion posted:

well barbecue sauce is made out of barbecues so anything's possible

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

STOP EATIN' BABIES YOU FUCKIN' SAVAGES

Don't kinkshame

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

oddium posted:

well barbecue sauce is made out of barbecues so anything's possible

However, meatloaf is (usually) made of meat; cf. grubloaf.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There are other insectoid species (see also: the program grubs used by FLARPers) on Alternia, so it's a toss up as to whether grubsauce refers to pulped troll grubs or pulped anything else grubs. Maybe it's both, and the two are mixed together indiscriminately, in a slurry of some description!

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
I was assuming grubsauce was sauce FOR grubs. Like how baby food isn't made out of babies.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If the idea of grubloaf makes you sick to your stomach on an instinctual level then you haven't tried mine.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
They always have mayo as an alternative, which dave has clarified is like 'grubsauce without the grubs'

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know the theme of the latest flash was forgiveness, and the relationship of pre-retcon Vriska and Terezi is important both in itself and for providing insight for post-retcon Terezi, but I'm a little disappointed Karkat didn't show. I hope pre-retcon Terezi and Vriska weren't just Fondly Regarding Annihilation and we'll revisit them since Terezi and Karkat in the post-retcon timeline don't appear to have nearly as close a relationship as they did before and there hasn't been closure on that relationship the same way we just had for Terezi and Vriska.

I suppose since Karkat's asleep he could always meet pre-retcon Karkat himself. Might also provide some closure on Karkat's constant self-hatred and looping conversations with his past and future selves to hash things out with an appreciably distinct version of himself.

Edit: Whoops, fixed a bit.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 29, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dolash posted:

I know the theme of the latest flash was forgiveness, and the relationship of pre-retcon Vriska and Terezi is important both in itself and for providing insight for post-retcon Terezi, but I'm a little disappointed Karkat didn't show. I hope pre-retcon Terezi and Vriska weren't just Fondly Regarding Annihilation and we'll revisit them since Terezi and Karkat in the post-retcon timeline don't appear to have nearly as close a relationship as they did before and there hasn't been closure on that relationship the same way we just had for Terezi and Karkat.

I suppose since Karkat's asleep he could always meet pre-retcon Karkat himself. Might also provide some closure on Karkat's constant self-hatred and looping conversations with his past and future selves to hash things out with an appreciably distinct version of himself.

It'll just be all the bazillion different Karkats getting together and finding common ground... in hating each other. KarCon 2015.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Game Over Karkat tries to wake up in the dream bubbles, but he is still surrounded by all this memory lava and cannot escape it until he masteries his insecurities.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It only now occurred to me that the Terezi and Vriska meeting and reconciling are the versions of them that completely gave up their identities, and got burned by it.

I don't know if that's particularly meaningful, but it sure is a thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

If the idea of grubloaf makes you sick to your stomach on an instinctual level then you haven't tried mine.

Which *will* make us sick to our stomach?

Anyway, my grubloaf has a home-made grubbecue sauce as a glaze and is remarkable.

Tenebrais posted:

It only now occurred to me that the Terezi and Vriska meeting and reconciling are the versions of them that completely gave up their identities, and got burned by it.

I don't see how you describe GO!Terezi having given up her identity -- she made more effective use of her Seer powers than ever before.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which *will* make us sick to our stomach?

Anyway, my grubloaf has a home-made grubbecue sauce as a glaze and is remarkable.

I don't see how you describe GO!Terezi having given up her identity -- she made more effective use of her Seer powers than ever before.
She got her blindness removed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

i think its more like, theyve both lost so much that theyre completely stripped of all the artifice that their living versions still have

its really sweet and brings a tear to my sneering, jaded eye

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She got Aranea to cure her blindness and got down with the clown. She completely gave up on being a seer, on playing her mind games, on trying to be The Law - everything that made her Terezi, in search of a way to feel less bad about herself.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Android Blues posted:

There are other insectoid species (see also: the program grubs used by FLARPers) on Alternia, so it's a toss up as to whether grubsauce refers to pulped troll grubs or pulped anything else grubs. Maybe it's both, and the two are mixed together indiscriminately, in a slurry of some description!

I think if it was ground up wigglers Karkat wouldn't have been all "please let that be grub sauce" when his bff was bleeding out on the floor

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think if it was ground up wigglers Karkat wouldn't have been all "please let that be grub sauce" when his bff was bleeding out on the floor

as opposed to your friend's actual blood?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Grub sauce is people trolls and everybody's okay with this

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay, so, there a theory floating around that the cracks aren't glowing: There's something behind them that's producing colors and light. Lord English hasn't been trying to kill his sister, he's been trying to break through the void like an egg.

This raises two very important questions:

1.) What is behind the void?

2.) What happens when the whole thing falls apart?

This is from a few pages ago, but are you saying Caliborn's weapon gave him the power to revolutionize the world?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mazerunner posted:

as opposed to your friend's actual blood?

Yeah I mean like "wow I hope that's somebody else's insides and not your blood" does not seem like a Karkat thing to say, he's very squeamish and not a very good troll at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Well okay then, I guess it's more like mayonnaise than I thought and the deal is we just don't think about what's in it