Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

limekle posted:

My 5S has been doing this a lot over the last month or two, but it's commonly in the 20-30% range. Last night it powered down at 36%. As soon as I plug it in it comes back on at the same percentage.

I also had no success with the recalibration.

My 5 was doing this about a year after I got it and it turned out to be a bad battery. Luckily there was a replacement program out for the batteries in certain models of the 5, so I was able to get it replaced for free. I'd go to an Apple Store and have them check the battery out and see if you can get it replaced under warranty or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was still having the iOS9 beta Bluetooth issue this morning so I Googled it and saw someone on Reddit say they'd fixed it by resetting their network settings, so I tried that and it seemed to work for a couple hours but now the issue is back :(

I'm about to just go back to 8.4. I submitted a bug report about this last week but it hasn't been fixed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I submitted a bug report about this last week but it hasn't been fixed.
Don't expect updates to public betas as rapidly as developer betas.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't expect updates to public betas as rapidly as developer betas.
Public 1 and Public 2 game out a day after Dev 3 and Dev 4, respectively, about two weeks apart.

I do realize this is not how it worked with the iOS 8 public betas.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
So apparently my mom's 5c got swiped today (about an hour ago) and even though Find My iPhone is enabled, the person that took it has shut down the phone. Aside from erasing/playing sound/lost mode, is there anything else that can be done? If there isn't anything else I will just blacklist it, but I didn't know if there was any other alternative to finding it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah you should have a self-destruct button when you log into Find My iPhone as well. It'll cause the battery to overheat and explode.

Are you not seeing it?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah you should have a self-destruct button when you log into Find My iPhone as well. It'll cause the battery to overheat and explode.

Are you not seeing it?

This is a 5c, it doesn't come with that option.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr Hands Colon posted:

So apparently my mom's 5c got swiped today (about an hour ago) and even though Find My iPhone is enabled, the person that took it has shut down the phone. Aside from erasing/playing sound/lost mode, is there anything else that can be done? If there isn't anything else I will just blacklist it, but I didn't know if there was any other alternative to finding it.

It has to be on and have internet access in order for Find My iPhone to work. If they pulled the SIM and aren't on wifi/other internet service, it may report its last location within the last 24 hours, but I'm not sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When my phone got stolen I was able to force lock it, and they were stupid enough to turn it on again before pulling the SIM. I never got it back, as they probably just trashed it after, but I took a small amount of solace in the fact that all they got was basically an unusable, unsellable, blacklisted brick that would display nothing but a screen that said "STOLEN PHONE" when turned on.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

When my phone got stolen I was able to force lock it, and they were stupid enough to turn it on again before pulling the SIM. I never got it back, as they probably just trashed it after, but I took a small amount of solace in the fact that all they got was basically an unusable, unsellable, blacklisted brick that would display nothing but a screen that said "STOLEN PHONE" when turned on.

I think I went with 'ENJOY YOUR BRICK CUNTFACE' when I had a phone stolen. I can't imagine anybody using that feature for anything other than vengeful text. As if you're going to write 'call me on xxxxx if found' rather than revelling in spite.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

RhoA posted:

My 5 was doing this about a year after I got it and it turned out to be a bad battery. Luckily there was a replacement program out for the batteries in certain models of the 5, so I was able to get it replaced for free. I'd go to an Apple Store and have them check the battery out and see if you can get it replaced under warranty or something.

Hmm, maybe I'll try that. I assumed because I've had the phone for close to 2 years they wouldn't do anything for it. I'll likely get a new phone in Sept/Oct so I've been trying to hold out, but I guess it's worth a shot? I usually end up charging it (fully) 2-3 times a day now. Kind of annoying.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

limekle posted:

Hmm, maybe I'll try that. I assumed because I've had the phone for close to 2 years they wouldn't do anything for it. I'll likely get a new phone in Sept/Oct so I've been trying to hold out, but I guess it's worth a shot? I usually end up charging it (fully) 2-3 times a day now. Kind of annoying.

Yeah, I ended up having to carry my charger around with me when the battery wasn't working right. It'd shut off at 90% battery and randomly reboot from time to time so I just took it in. It's worth a shot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Neurophonic posted:

I think I went with 'ENJOY YOUR BRICK CUNTFACE' when I had a phone stolen. I can't imagine anybody using that feature for anything other than vengeful text. As if you're going to write 'call me on xxxxx if found' rather than revelling in spite.

I had a phone returned by putting a nice message there v:shobon:v .

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
I want to trade my iPhone 6 – that was purchased on an AT&T contract – for a 6 plus. I found someone with a 6 plus who is willing to do this, but their phone was purchased on a Verizon contract. It it possible to switch like this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can use the Verizon phone without a problem, but they won't be able to use yours unless you get it unlocked and it might not have access to visual voicemail on Verizon.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I saw a post on a local yard sale Facebook page that said they had "found" an iPhone 6, and if you could tell them the correct passcode they'd give it back. I laughed heartily.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Neurophonic posted:

If you put a nice message on your phone then you might get it back when a passerby picks it out of a trash can that the thief chucked it into.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A truly horrible thief would throw an iPhone in the trash.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Offer a cash reward for your "lost" phone on the Lost Mode screen. Meet in a public place and take it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
If you're jailbroken and haven't already, install iCaughtU Pro. Takes photographs of anyone who fails to unlock phone. Emails coordinates, accepts remote commands, etc. all kinds of good stuff.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don't see an iTunes specific thread so I'll just ask in here for now.

I'm setting up iTunes on a new PC after my old one was falling apart. I didn't do the full "Export Library" from the old PC, but I have a backup of the entire folder the old iTunes library was in. How can I point this new iTunes installation to the .itl library file I have copied onto the new PC and have my old stuff back? Trying to open the file or doing File > Library > Import Playlist to the .itl file isn't working.

I'm hesitant to try to get my old PC going and do the full export from it, as I made this backup before turning on iCloud Music Library - which screwed up a ton of tagging I had done and I kinda want my new library to not have any trace of that stuff.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don't see an iTunes specific thread so I'll just ask in here for now.

I'm setting up iTunes on a new PC after my old one was falling apart. I didn't do the full "Export Library" from the old PC, but I have a backup of the entire folder the old iTunes library was in. How can I point this new iTunes installation to the .itl library file I have copied onto the new PC and have my old stuff back? Trying to open the file or doing File > Library > Import Playlist to the .itl file isn't working.

I'm hesitant to try to get my old PC going and do the full export from it, as I made this backup before turning on iCloud Music Library - which screwed up a ton of tagging I had done and I kinda want my new library to not have any trace of that stuff.

I don't know but

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022963&perpage=40#post352979679

Although I think you hold down control while iTunes opens or something.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Aha, cheers! I'll post in that thread now.

edit: And also read the moving guide in the OP.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

A truly horrible thief would throw an iPhone in the trash.
Yeah, it's not like a bricked iPhone has zero value. Where do you think all those sketchy mall screen repair shops get their "new" parts from?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
iOS Public Beta here and my battery life has been a bit rougher the last few days. It shows that Facebook Messenger is using 25% of my battery. I only maybe use that app twice a week and I've disabled it's background refresh ability and location to never and it's still eating battery. Any ideas?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Stop using Facebook.

Forever.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Okay I'm an idiot. How do I transfer music from my computer to my phone? It won't sync, and I can't download them through iCloud onto my phone. The only solution is to copy them from the computer to the phone, but I can't for the life of my figure out how the gently caress to do it. I'm syncing it but they're not copying over.

Edit: Looks like I have to disable iCloud library on my phone before copying the music over.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 1, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Okay I'm an idiot. How do I transfer music from my computer to my phone? It won't sync, and I can't download them through iCloud onto my phone. The only solution is to copy them from the computer to the phone, but I can't for the life of my figure out how the gently caress to do it. I'm syncing it but they're not copying over.

Edit: Looks like I have to disable iCloud library on my phone before copying the music over.

Or buy iTunes Match, yeah.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

Or buy iTunes Match, yeah.

I have iTunes Match. I keep getting errors whenever I try to download songs onto the phone itself without syncing.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I guess this is a bit of a long shot, but I figured I might as well ask.
Backstory: I took a pretty nasty fall while out hiking and tumbled down a couple of metres of rock. Both me and my iphone 6 screen survived, but the protective case I have on it took a nasty hit and broke. This hit also literally dented the aux port for headphones and makes it impossible to use, which is a real pain in the rear end as repairing this will cost me almost 70% of the price of a new phone. Everything else works perfectly.

So, question: Im technologically illiterate, but a friend told me that he'd heard (see? totally reliable information) that there was a way to use an adaptor to plug headphones in through the lightning charge-jack. Is this possible? Cursory googling says no, but seeing as I'm facing a 20 hour plane-trip in a month and I *just* bought some new noise canceling over-ear headset I figured I should ask at least before spending the money for a super expensive repair.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
No such adapter exists. The cheapest option right now I can think of is a headphone to Bluetooth adapter. Not sure how much that'd impact the functionality of the noise cancelling feature. I'm assuming that Bluetooth is allowed on flights.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

I guess this is a bit of a long shot, but I figured I might as well ask.
Backstory: I took a pretty nasty fall while out hiking and tumbled down a couple of metres of rock. Both me and my iphone 6 screen survived, but the protective case I have on it took a nasty hit and broke. This hit also literally dented the aux port for headphones and makes it impossible to use, which is a real pain in the rear end as repairing this will cost me almost 70% of the price of a new phone. Everything else works perfectly.

So, question: Im technologically illiterate, but a friend told me that he'd heard (see? totally reliable information) that there was a way to use an adaptor to plug headphones in through the lightning charge-jack. Is this possible? Cursory googling says no, but seeing as I'm facing a 20 hour plane-trip in a month and I *just* bought some new noise canceling over-ear headset I figured I should ask at least before spending the money for a super expensive repair.

Do you have phone insurance? Or better yet, Apple Care? If you have either you should be able to get it swapped out for considerably less than 70% of the phone's total price.

You could also get something like this, if you're willing to take a portable DAC around with you.

Edit: This one might work better since it can run over Bluetooth, and allows you to charge it and your phone while in use. You're probably not in the US, based on your distance measurement unit, but you can probably find something like this sold for your region.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 1, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you've had the phone for less than 90 days your credit card often has accidental damage coverage and they will pick up the out of warranty repair fee Apple charges.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's a Lightning to headphone spec but I don't think anyone has made (or if Apple would even approve) plain headphone adapters for it, it's more meant for powered headphones or other fancy jazz.

So whatever Bluetooth dongle option is probably your best bet, there's a whole bunch out there. If your headphones have a detachable cable you can get a short cable and pretty much turn them into wireless headphones. The main caveat with the adapters (afaik) is that they don't support headphone mic and controls, but the dongles usually have a mic and controls of their own.

(And one other caveat there is that volume over Bluetooth is weird/annoying cause the call vs music audio profiles)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Do you have phone insurance? Or better yet, Apple Care? If you have either you should be able to get it swapped out for considerably less than 70% of the phone's total price.

Even the "I done hosed up" out of warranty replacement price is less than 70% (less than 50%, in fact, even assuming you have a 16GB) of a new phone.

Hand Apple $299 and you're done.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Android to iPhone specific questions. I've been screwed for the last time by Android instability and am done with it.

1.) How much space is left on a 16gb iPhone after the OS? I would prefer a 64gb phone, but T-Mobile's promotion is only for the 16gig version. I only keep some apps on it; I stream all of my music and don't keep any photos or videos locally backed up.

2.) Will the phone sync up with Google services for my calendar and contacts using the stock apps? Or do I have to use different apps?

3.) How much of a pain is it not having Google maps integrated?

4.) Are there any major stability problems?

5.) What is battery life for the regular six under normal use? Screen on time, in particular.

6.) I haven't used an iPhone since the 4, and I've loved every minute of not having iTunes. Is that going to change? :ohdear:

7.) I use PushBullet to send SMS from my windows pc. Is there an equivalent option for ios?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

Android to iPhone specific questions. I've been screwed for the last time by Android instability and am done with it.

1.) How much space is left on a 16gb iPhone after the OS? I would prefer a 64gb phone, but T-Mobile's promotion is only for the 16gig version. I only keep some apps on it; I stream all of my music and don't keep any photos or videos locally backed up.

2.) Will the phone sync up with Google services for my calendar and contacts using the stock apps? Or do I have to use different apps?

5.) What is battery life for the regular six under normal use? Screen on time, in particular.

6.) I haven't used an iPhone since the 4, and I've loved every minute of not having iTunes. Is that going to change? :ohdear:

7.) I use PushBullet to send SMS from my windows pc. Is there an equivalent option for ios?

1) My 16GB iPhone shows 11.9GB available for use by apps when I add up Used+Available in the usage. You can upgrade to the 64 or 128 versions you just have to pay $100 or $200 up front.
2) I use the built in apps for Google Mail, Contacts and Calendar
3) I have been using Apple Maps and don't find it too bad.
4) I have no stability issues and prior to getting my iPhone 6 on the T-Mobile promotion I never had to wipe it clean.
5) I get a solid day of use, don't have specific times as I just don't worry about the battery life.
6) If you want music on your phone you have to use iTunes
7) Don't know of one, I just suck it up and know I don't have SMS on my windows PC

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

2) Yes, syncing is possible with google services. There are tons of guides for this online.

3) No pain at all unless you constantly click address links people text to you, since you don't have control over the context menu in iOS.

4) Not on my 5S.

6) It's possible to live without iTunes these days, and apparently iCloud backup is so good you don't have to worry about keeping a hard drive backup. You'll be upset if you ever want to get music or videos into the default apps on your phone, though.

7) Pushbullet is available on iOS, but not for texting from PC. AFAIK the only way to do this is with iMessage on a Mac.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

tuyop posted:

6) It's possible to live without iTunes these days, and apparently iCloud backup is so good you don't have to worry about keeping a hard drive backup. You'll be upset if you ever want to get music or videos into the default apps on your phone,
If you're really iTunes-phobic, the bolded phrase is key. There's a decent Google Music (Google Play?) app for iOS (along with Amazon Music and others). Not sure about the video part.

iTunes Match can also take out a lot of the hassle (but not all) of syncing music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you're really iTunes-phobic, the bolded phrase is key. There's a decent Google Music (Google Play?) app for iOS (along with Amazon Music and others). Not sure about the video part.

iTunes Match can also take out a lot of the hassle (but not all) of syncing music.

Yup, and meanwhile it's super simple to get videos into vlc (canada) and nplayer (I assume). VLC can run as a bonjour service or transfer over wifi, you just drag your videos into a browser after navigating to the IP it gives you.

Music is doable through Apple Music now or any other streaming service without ever needing to touch iTunes, though the privilege in that case costs you in subscription costs (or headaches if you're unlucky and go with iTunes).

Oh, and podcasts and audiobooks are also best managed through the phone. The audible app is pretty good these days, I use Podcasts (Apple's native app) but you should really hit up the iOS apps thread if you're concerned about optimal podcast experience, or password managers, or weather apps. Those are totally untapped discussions over there!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 1, 2015