Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tracking is super hard to do, even for the pros, so I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over it. I think these look pretty good, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pros only make it look easy because they machine gun everything that goes by and pray the autofocus does the right thing. They probably throw away 90% of everything they shoot as soon as it's copied off the flash card.

And then 5% of the remainder actually get processed.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

xzzy posted:

The pros only make it look easy because they machine gun everything that goes by and pray the autofocus does the right thing. They probably throw away 90% of everything they shoot as soon as it's copied off the flash card.

And then 5% of the remainder actually get processed.

lovely pros do that. Good pros don't create more editing and transferring work that slows them down under deadline.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

lovely pros do that. Good pros don't create more editing and transferring work that slows them down under deadline.

Quit posting and go enjoy your vacation, dammit! :mad:

Deadspin has a fantastic read about the iconic Brandi Chastain photo.

quote:

Chastain turned to face her teammates at midfield and, in one motion, tore off her uniform top to reveal the best set of abs since Linda Hamilton staved off the Terminator. She sank to her knees and let out an exultant cry that no one but she could hear.

The Rose Bowl was shaking, but Beck stayed focused on his subject. Using a mid-range zoom lens (70-200mm), he framed the shot as a horizontal so as to capture Chastain’s teammates rushing up behind her.

“When she made the winning kick and took her top off, it turned into something completely different,” he said. “I had a version that nobody else had because I was directly behind the net.”

Beck wondered if he had gotten the shot. “We used to ship our film immediately back to New York,” he said. “Peter Read Miller was driving me to the airport, and I was worrying about the exposure. We were shooting with chrome film, and it had to be right on or else it was worthless. It’s not like digital where you can be two stops off and fix it in post-production.

“I kept going, ‘Gosh, Peter, I don’t know if I got it–the light was this and so forth.’ He was pissed off because he knew that I had a better angle. He finally said, ‘Just shut up.’”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The remake is pretty great too:

http://www.robertbeckphotography.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=31&p=4&a=0&at=0

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I tried my best to stop doing the 4:3-crop, and managed to do it one match...

Vålerenga Fotball - Rosenborg BK 06.06.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Rosenborg BK 06.06.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

And ended up doing an ordinary crop in the next match:

Norway - Sweden 08.06.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Norway - Sweden 08.06.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, I might be getting a chance to shoot a skateboarding event coming up. I used to skate so have a decent working knowledge or skateboarding, but I was curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge on shooting skateboarding contests.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Soulex posted:

So, I might be getting a chance to shoot a skateboarding event coming up. I used to skate so have a decent working knowledge or skateboarding, but I was curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge on shooting skateboarding contests.

Fisheye.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Soulex posted:

In the following video, Chase Jarvis talks a little about shooting skaters during the first segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX76k-chflo

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I shot this lovely football match between Norway and Azerbaijan last week.

Norway - Azerbaijan 12.06.15 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

I shot this lovely football match between Norway and Azerbaijan last week.

hahahaha I don't know why this is making me laugh so much but it is

E: He's just screaming at that dude's shoes

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

DJExile posted:

hahahaha I don't know why this is making me laugh so much but it is

E: He's just screaming at that dude's shoes

LOOK OUT FOR THE BUG. DON'T CRUSH THAT BUG

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What got me was the guy in the red shirt who's terrified of the soccer ball.

"omg get it awayyyyy it's slimy mommmm make him stop!!"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

What got me was the guy in the red shirt who's terrified of the soccer ball.

"omg get it awayyyyy it's slimy mommmm make him stop!!"
Yeah, lots of hilarious frozen action in these shots. I like it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah if you can't love goofy faces in sports shots then I just don't know what to tell you

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
The goofy faces are the best. I love it when you really nail feelings or just general weird expressions.

I think that I might overexpose the pictures just a bit. How do they look at your screens?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The first one seems a bit blown out. The second is basically perfect in my unimportant opinion.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I guess this is sports.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Shot another wrasslin show! Full set here

EPW - State of Origin by bang3rachi, on Flickr

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
I don't get a chance to shoot sports stuff too often, but there was a bike race close by where I live last month, and I got some shots I am pretty happy with:

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-13 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-26 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-23 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-22 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-9 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-19 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Hell fuckin yesss

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

iammeandsoareyou posted:

I don't get a chance to shoot sports stuff too often, but there was a bike race close by where I live last month, and I got some shots I am pretty happy with:

AF Association Cycling Classic Crystal City 2015-13 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

I'm loving the hell out of panning cycling shots.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A bit more football shots from me:

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 27.07.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 27.07.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These are great.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bang3r posted:

Shot another wrasslin show! Full set here

This is such an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. Us the viewer for seeing the lumpy folds and sagging undergarments line with the impending promise of teabag time.

And the bloke that is about to enjoy this time first hand.

And the two people holding him knowing full and well they could be next.

And the guy doing it because he would have to be comfortable putting his genitals on another persons face (hetero or not) in front of a crowd.

1 thousand words to this picture right here. Seriously

This is my dream job, and I'm insanely jealous.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Back again with more wrestling goodness and one more instance of genitals on face.

Fully gallery here

EPW @ The Game. by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

This is incredible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I look at those and immediately want to tell you to crop some of those in, but the more I look at them the more I really like the look of them as they are.

I'm also trying my damndest to figure out how they got to that submission hold in the first picture :psyduck:

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

Frinkahedron posted:

This is incredible.

Thanks it's my favourite!!!

I used to be all about the tight crop but I like to shoot plenty wide now and get as much as I can in frame and yeah it was an odd spot he put him in about 3 holds in that position.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

I look at those and immediately want to tell you to crop some of those in, but the more I look at them the more I really like the look of them as they are.

I'm also trying my damndest to figure out how they got to that submission hold in the first picture :psyduck:

I totally agree with you. I love them uncropped.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hey guys i got a rad new sports lens

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Whhhhhhhaaaaaat? Didn't even know they made hem that big.

How much is that monstrosity?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Whhhhhhhaaaaaat? Didn't even know they made hem that big.

How much is that monstrosity?

A wonderfully low $80 :toot:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

hey guys i got a rad new sports lens

So f/8 or bust, right?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

So f/8 or bust, right?

haha yeah. I'm honestly almost never going to use this for sports except for that one "because I can..." moment. Holding this thing stable is drat near impossible.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haha that's awesome, I can't help but laugh every time I see one of those things, they just look so goofy. Having some 800mm reach would certainly be cool though. Definitely share some stuff if/when you use it!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Haha that's awesome, I can't help but laugh every time I see one of those things, they just look so goofy. Having some 800mm reach would certainly be cool though. Definitely share some stuff if/when you use it!

I posted this in the mirrorless thread. The humor of using a mirror lens on a mirrorless body is also not lost on me :haw:

DJExile posted:

So holy poo poo I can see forever with this thing. Here's the view from my garage with my cell phone:

See the orange Toyota at the end of the road, kinda under the trees?

Yeeeeeeeeah

:wooper: AND HERE HAVE ME HAND-HOLDING IT AND TRYING TO GET A DECENT SHUTTER SPEED AND DONUT BOKEYS :wooper:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Fall football practice is here, football season is coming :getin:

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god beamerface :gonk:

The rest of those own. I really like the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dakana and I go fry in the sun this weekend for another Spartan. I'm gonna find some way to use the 800mm, I swear it.