Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
In terms of food indulgence chat, my group of Gencon going friends always save up to go to Fogo de Chao Brazilian steakhouse and eat themselves into a meat coma one evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm flying in tomorrow night, and my group of 4 will be at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport until Monday. I'll add myself to the group thing between now and tomorrow.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So my local list of places to grab food at while avoiding the masses:

Yats - New Orleans style creole. A bit of a hike, but if you are willing to go to Mass Ave. area well worth the trip. Cheap as well.

Loughmiller's Pub - My go to place when I want lunch and a beer without the insane waits of places like the The RAM or Scotty's. Veterans of the thread will know I mention this place every year and it's my favorite "secret" place during the con.

Tomlinson Tap Room - Located in the Historic City Market it's an awesome spot to grab some Indiana beer. Lots of space and tables so games are easy to do. Normally one or 2 booths will stay open to provide food, but there are other places nearby to grab food.

Barcelona Tapas - Has already been mentioned, but wanted to add my agreement.

Mass Ave. Pub - Looks like a little shithole bar, good food, good prices. We have done a couple local Goon meetups here.

I am sure djfooboo (I miss your face) will be able to toss a few more things that I missed.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Sun King brewery will have a beer garden each day of the con right out on Georgia Street. Come see me on Friday, I'll be slinging beer wearing a Finn hat from Adventure Time!

Also, we just released Drink On And Prosper, The Official Beer of Gen Con (™) which is a blonde ale aged with pomegranates, apricots and cherries. It's good poo poo!

vv Sorry to hear that! We'll also have a limited batch of barrel-aged Froth of Khan (last year's beer) for those interested!

Millions fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 29, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Sounds exciting, I'll be sure to try it. I wasn't a fan of last year's because I don't like coffee :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Millions posted:

Sun King brewery will have a beer garden each day of the con right out on Georgia Street. Come see me on Friday, I'll be slinging beer wearing a Finn hat from Adventure Time!

Also, we just released Drink On And Prosper, The Official Beer of Gen Con (™) which is a blonde ale aged with pomegranates, apricots and cherries. It's good poo poo!

vv Sorry to hear that! We'll also have a limited batch of barrel-aged Froth of Khan (last year's beer) for those interested!

I love fruity beers and dark stouts so I'll come try both!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Went to the RAM tonight to check it out before it gets insane the rest of the week; was already pretty packed tonight. Crazy stuff.

All the Privateer Press stuff is awesome though, as always. I wanted to steal one of the modified menus but they promptly claim them when they take everyone's order. :sigh:

Definitely a better choice than S&S. ...for now. :ninja:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Millions posted:

I am hoping this will be the first beer that they made for Gen Con that I don't hate.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Guys I'm leaving for Indy in the morning and I am VERY EXCITED. My friend, his wife, my girlfriend and I will all be at Nerd Trivia tomorrow night! Hopefully my friend and I can get in on some goon pick-up games. We were overly responsible last year about turning in early, so this year I kind of want to GAME ALL NIGHT.

Also feel free to point and laugh at me as I lug around all the dumb Pathfinder Card Game stuff I'll inevitably buy.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Hey Goons, I dunno if this is the right place for this... And it's probably too late...

I'm planning on going to GenCon, but my original hotel plans changed last minute. I'm looking for a place to stay from Wed night through Sun night, but if you're plans are for a fewer number of nights I can do that as well.

I don't have a group, it's just me.

Let me know via PM if you or someone you know might be able to help me out, otherwise I'll have to cancel my GenCon plans, as it's probably a stupid idea to fly somewhere I won't be able to stay

Thanks!

Hackjack fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 4, 2015

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Merauder posted:

Went to the RAM tonight to check it out before it gets insane the rest of the week; was already pretty packed tonight. Crazy stuff.

All the Privateer Press stuff is awesome though, as always. I wanted to steal one of the modified menus but they promptly claim them when they take everyone's order. :sigh:

Definitely a better choice than S&S. ...for now. :ninja:

The Ram was just the best last year. We met a table full of guys playing Lost Legacy and joined them in shouting GET WRECKED NERD until the place closed.

And whatever guys, I loved the Sun King coffee beer last year. It went perfectly with the donuts from the complementary hotel breakfast.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Hackjack posted:

Hey Goons, I dunno if this is the right place for this... And it's probably too late...

I'm planning on going to GenCon, but my original hotel plans changed last minute. I'm looking for a place to stay from Wed night through Sun night, but if you're plans are for a fewer number of nights I can do that as well.

I don't have a group, it's just me (20s male travelling from Asia, clean and regular hygiene).

Let me know via PM if you or someone you know might be able to help me out, otherwise I'll have to cancel my GenCon plans, as it's probably a stupid idea to fly somewhere I won't be able to stay

Thanks!

Kayak.com says there are still rooms in Indianapolis, even downtown, like the La Quinta for $162/night.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Hour and a half before I catch a cab to head on to the airport. And then EXCITING! AIRPORT! ADVENTURES! (not) for 12+ hours!

Sleep? Who needs it?

Me.

I need it.

But having to leave at 3:30 from my home does not make it a good idea to go to bed. Might as well TRY to sleep on the plane.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Just worked all night. Eating breakfast, doing some chores around the house, grabbing a nap, then heading downtown.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Domesticated Ape posted:

It's actually Haveli Indian Cuisine which is a much shorter walk from the convention center.

They deliver too.

Backno posted:

I am sure djfooboo (I miss your face)
David and I don't live together anymore, have been far fewer game nights since :(

I moved to Garfield Park. Mostly get my game plays from Game-On Gamenights at Comic Book University on Tuesdays 6-9.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 29, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just about to the airport then 2 hours till I'm at Gen con! So much nicer than driving.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Im 3 hours in to my road trip. No one should have to be awake at 430am.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Made it to Indy, chilling in the hotel waiting for will call to open.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Going to be starting phase one of my road trip, which is driving to my hometown. Phase two will be tomorrow when my best friend and I leave for the road trip to Indy. This is the first time we'll be heading up on Thursday. Our other trips in the past we've left on Friday, getting there about noon-1 and losing like a whole day of the Con. Not this year.

nuggets
May 14, 2003
Is there a good time to hit will call to pick up your badge today? Better at noon or just wait until the evening?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nuggets posted:

Is there a good time to hit will call to pick up your badge today? Better at noon or just wait until the evening?

It's likely to get busier throughout the evening, but it shouldn't be terrible until 7ish tomorrow morning.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

8one6 posted:

It's likely to get busier throughout the evening, but it shouldn't be terrible until 7ish tomorrow morning.

The year before last, I rolled up at about 5PM and the line for will-call literally ran the entire convention hall. The line in the morning was about 15 minutes long.

How long is will call open today? All night?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Archenteron posted:

In terms of food indulgence chat, my group of Gencon going friends always save up to go to Fogo de Chao Brazilian steakhouse and eat themselves into a meat coma one evening.

I'm doing this tonight.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The year before last, I rolled up at about 5PM and the line for will-call literally ran the entire convention hall. The line in the morning was about 15 minutes long.

How long is will call open today? All night?

According to the GroupMe it's 24/7

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Guess who's getting their badge at stupid-o-clock tonight!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gencon is doomed the day they revoke the no shirt no shoes no service rule.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

At my lovely motel, Red Roof Inn Indianapolis South, trying to placate roommate drama and figure out parking for GenCon- anyone have any tips because althought we have reserved parking for Thursday and Saturday we cannot find any for Sunday or Friday.

Goon carpool?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Welp, joined the GroupMe but I'm not getting in until tomorrow. Shouldn't have done that, super excited now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I got in line at noon and had my badge 17 minutes later. It looks crazy long now though.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
A while back, I bought tickets for both the X-wing tournament on Thursday, and Armada on Friday. I am about 99% sure I will get knocked out in the first day on X-wing, and even if I don't, won't be able to attend the finals due to Armada starting at the same time (and being my preferred of the two). I rarely ever get to play x-wing anymore (haven't for months), and am considering dropping out so I can hit the hall on Thursday morning to hunt for limited availability goodies instead. The only thing stopping me is that I don't know if there are going to be participation prizes (alt art cards or some such) which I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE.

Also, can I just had my ticket off (has my name and ID number on it) to someone else, or am I better off going through some more official channel should I choose to drop out?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Reynold posted:

A while back, I bought tickets for both the X-wing tournament on Thursday, and Armada on Friday. I am about 99% sure I will get knocked out in the first day on X-wing, and even if I don't, won't be able to attend the finals due to Armada starting at the same time (and being my preferred of the two). I rarely ever get to play x-wing anymore (haven't for months), and am considering dropping out so I can hit the hall on Thursday morning to hunt for limited availability goodies instead. The only thing stopping me is that I don't know if there are going to be participation prizes (alt art cards or some such) which I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE.

Also, can I just had my ticket off (has my name and ID number on it) to someone else, or am I better off going through some more official channel should I choose to drop out?

You can get your ticket refunded any time before 4pm Sunday, or you can just give it to someone - I've never seen someone actually check ID or anything.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How has parking been at previous GenCons? I looked up some prices, and it appears to be between 20-28 full day around the convention center. Does it fill up quickly?

Implementor
Oct 28, 2007
Someone a few pages back mentioned parking at the stadium--anyone have info/experience?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I survived my first flying experience. Will call to get our badges was too long so we decided to go to Killroy's and drink instead. Gencon!

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Pez posted:

I survived my first flying experience. Will call to get our badges was too long so we decided to go to Killroy's and drink instead. Gencon!

But the line literally takes 10 minutes and its not getting any shorter. At least it takes about 10 to 20 minutes today until the evening when it gets longer and in the middle of the night when it's super short. Forget going tomorrow

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

We have reservations at St Elmo's then we'll hit it. Will call is open 24 hours isn't it? Also drinking! Gencon!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Already hit up Scottys, good stuff

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ugh, why is the ICC so warm and stuffy? Terrible time to have the A/C fail.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you happen to be a vegetarian I'm sorry, you're just like me but you see a food truck outside called "Dio" its f****** amazing for vegetarians and normals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Any idea if the video game room is free again this year or if they stuck with the lovely pricing thing from last year?

• Locked thread