Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's no coca in coke nowadays. Hasn't been for twenty years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Rare Collectable posted:

Some more classic examples of "Play our game, its better than *some horrible disgusting poo poo we came up with*"

I feel like this is one of those old sayings like 'more fun than a barrel of monkeys' rather than something created out of whole cloth just for this ad. There's a wikipedia article on 'ferret-legging' which is some sort of endurance competition that people do and I think playing Gameboy would definitely be more fun than that so the ad's not wrong.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

cyberia posted:

I feel like this is one of those old sayings like 'more fun than a barrel of monkeys' rather than something created out of whole cloth just for this ad. There's a wikipedia article on 'ferret-legging' which is some sort of endurance competition that people do and I think playing Gameboy would definitely be more fun than that so the ad's not wrong.

A few years ago a sports website did a series of videos about really bizarre British sports and ferret legging came up:
http://www.roopstigo.com/odd/fear-the-ferret-by-stuart-ashen/

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FrozenVent posted:

There's no coca in coke nowadays. Hasn't been for twenty years or so.
It looks like they still use a processed, cocaine-free extract of the coca leaf.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I would approve of cocaine in my soda. Caffeine takes too long to kick in.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A few years ago a sports website did a series of videos about really bizarre British sports and ferret legging came up:
http://www.roopstigo.com/odd/fear-the-ferret-by-stuart-ashen/

Ah yes, but did they cover Shirling?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

thewireguy posted:

I would approve of cocaine in my soda. Caffeine takes too long to kick in.

Better yet, how about cocaine in your wine? Because all drugs are safer when mixed with alcohol.

Good enough for the pope!

Ah, truly those were the good old days, when a pope could get hosed up on coke-wine and nobody would say anything. Hell he even endorsed it!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

There are some exceptions to that - house brand tinned baked beans and spaghetti are absolutely terrible where I am (it's not like then brand name stuff is gourmet food or anything but it is a lot better)

A tin of baked beans and spaghetti sounds terrible, I don't know what you were expecting.

(:haw:)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Zaphod42 posted:

Better yet, how about cocaine in your wine? Because all drugs are safer when mixed with alcohol.

Ah, truly those were the good old days, when a pope could get hosed up on coke-wine and nobody would say anything. Hell he even endorsed it!

I've had a liquor made from coca leaves that a friend bought on vacation in Bolivia. It tasted like kerosene, but the one shot I had wrecked my afternoon.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

canyoneer posted:

A MLM mascara company, Younique (Get it? It's like UNIQUE and YOU!) is having all their pyramid scheme drones GO VIRAL by sharing videos of themselves in a specific format. The format has them staring sadly and silently into the camera revealing a handwritten page one at a time (Wile E. Coyote style) telling their story. At the end of their story, they lipsynch to a pop song with the chorus "THIS IS MY FIGHT SONG". Include a link to the Younique Mascara distributor's sales page, of course.

What's their story?

Their stories are all about sexual abuse that they have experienced. It's to "raise awareness". :rolleyes:
Search for "younique y song" or "younique fight song" and be amazed that a marketer can be so callous.

(Like all MLMs, the product is overpriced and sucks. It starts at $30/tube which is $11 more than department store staple Clinique)

Someone needs to start making retaliatory videos of people crying into webcams about how much money they've lost to MLM schemes. They can raise awareness of scams by lip-synching to CeeLo Green's "gently caress You" at the end.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

I think I am going to try whiskey and "coke" next payday.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Younique mascara looks like poo poo and gives you nasty spider-lashes! I don't understand how that MLM is still around.

Anyway this totally-legit-and-not-sleazy Instagram marketing account started following me, so far all they've posted is terrible memes:

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Memes are like a honeypot for marketing people who are aware of the internet but don't actually use it much. Pepsi fell into it once in a quickly discontinued ad campaign as well.

People freely share them and they never ever die, it's free advertising until the heat death of the universe!

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I normally don't like image macros/memes/whatever but I thought this was pretty funny

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Everything about Beats by Dre should be dumb moves in marketing but they're selling like hotcakes, aren't they?

:negative:

They're the monster cables of headphones.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Funny you should say that.

Beats was originally developed and marketed by Monster, but to get Dre on board they kept offering him a nicer and nicer contract, to the point where he was listed as the sole owner and originator of all the branding and technology behind it. Then once they got big, Dre turned around and sold the whole thing to Apple and Monster couldn't do a thing about it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Got a random email from some photo sharing site called YouPic. The header reads something like "You have been exclusively invited to join our service. See why millions of photographers are sharing their photos with YouPic!"

It seems you go for either the "exclusive" approach or the "we're so great everyone uses us" approach, but not both and especially not in adjacent sentences.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
From the funny picture thread

greazeball posted:

I found a new kind of cat food supplement today, I wasn't aware that cats could have a deficiency in this.

It's organic!

I remember seeing this in pet shops, it's a thing allright. It's also supposed to mean “Bones and Raw Food” or “Biologically Appropriate Raw Food”, thought up by Ian Billinghurst. It's :smuggo: :biotruths: but for your pets, with a rather unfortunate name. Sounds a bit like a dog barking I guess. Or having a reaction to it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not in here, mister! This is a Mercedes!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So Harder's/Carl's Jr has this thing called the "All Natural" burger, proudly proclaiming it's the first burger that's grass-fed, antibiotic-free, and hormone-free.

Hearing that did not make me go "Oooh! I should stop there some time!", it made me think "oh man I never want another fast food burger again"

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

stringball posted:

I normally don't like image macros/memes/whatever but I thought this was pretty funny

The three people I know of that have Beats stuff wear them in public with their i-whatevers, but at their homes I see them just use regular cheapy headsets with the computer or whatever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

death .cab for qt posted:

So Harder's/Carl's Jr has this thing called the "All Natural" burger, proudly proclaiming it's the first burger that's grass-fed, antibiotic-free, and hormone-free.

Hearing that did not make me go "Oooh! I should stop there some time!", it made me think "oh man I never want another fast food burger again"

Why, because all of your other burgers were pumped full of penicillin, estrogen and corn? Or because it's Hardees? Because both are valid answers.

I had a grass fed cow burger once after a milk cow got put down on my inlaw's family farm. That poo poo was delicious. I have no doubt Hardee's can make good beef taste terrible though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Why, because all of your other burgers were pumped full of penicillin, estrogen and corn?

This

It's kinda bad form to say "This is the FIRST BURGER to not have BAD THINGS" when you are a burger place that has other burgers

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This

It's kinda bad form to say "This is the FIRST BURGER to not have BAD THINGS" when you are a burger place that has other burgers

This sort of reminds me of when I saw a chocolate chip cookie in a vending machine that said NEW! IMPROVED RECIPE. It made me feel like they were sort of loving with us. Cookie technology didn't just experience some sort of huge, previously inconceivable advance. The best chocolate chip cookie that our culture is ever going to make has already been made, guaranteed. If your job is making chocolate chip cookies and you're still working that poo poo out in the twenty-first century to the point that your announcement of an improvement is something you've got to advertise, then maybe I'll just keep waiting until you catch up with anyone who's ever put the slightest bit of effort into baking.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Everything about Beats by Dre should be dumb moves in marketing but they're selling like hotcakes, aren't they?

:negative:

They're the monster cables of headphones.

What positive reception I've seen about Beats has been that it did generate a strong interest in people understanding that there is an enormous difference in sound quality from standard headphones and earbuds. The problem being their are far superior products the compete at the Beats price range from companies like Bose and Sennheiser, but they're seen as luxury accessories whereas as Beats are a must have item.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
They generally seem a lot lighter and easier to carry around than a lot of competing brands. I love my Sennheisers, but they're not something I can just slip in my bag and go. Bose's Quiet Comfort are probably the easiest I've travelled with, but they're still bigger and more expensive than the base model Beats. I could see why they'd appeal to people.

e: Full disclosure, I don't have Beats, so they could be pieces of poo poo for all I know. But I see people wearing them all the time on my daily commute.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jul 29, 2015

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Which is also funny because it means all the other burgers from Hardees/Carl's Jr has all the antibiotics and hormones and disgusting poo poo, just not THIS OOOOONE burger.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I can't tell the quality difference from an mp3 and a gold plated record.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

What positive reception I've seen about Beats has been that it did generate a strong interest in people understanding that there is an enormous difference in sound quality from standard headphones and earbuds. The problem being their are far superior products the compete at the Beats price range from companies like Bose and Sennheiser, but they're seen as luxury accessories whereas as Beats are a must have item.

I think standard over-the-ear headphones are kind of a niche item. Most people just use their OEM earbuds or Skullcandy or something bland from Sony or Philips. Beats somehow managed to make them mainstream while costing the same and being inferior to other more established brands. So kudos for their marketing team I guess.

My redneck sister-in-law can barely cover her mortgage without asking for handouts. Her kids have Beats though. My wife wanted to buy a pair for our daughter, even though my kid never even asked for them. It's like the average consumer doesn't even know there are other brands. Unchecked, people will start referring to all big headphones as Beats just like people call photocopiers Xerox, mp3 players iPods and sodas Coke even when it's not that brand.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Someone's decendants need to get suing, because the first grass-fed, antibiotic and hormone free burgers were invented about 120 years ago :psypop:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah it's weird that Beats are perfectly normal out in public, but I would be embarrassed for someone wearing some other big headphones out in public, even though I use some at home.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

This sort of reminds me of when I saw a chocolate chip cookie in a vending machine that said NEW! IMPROVED RECIPE. It made me feel like they were sort of loving with us. Cookie technology didn't just experience some sort of huge, previously inconceivable advance. The best chocolate chip cookie that our culture is ever going to make has already been made, guaranteed. If your job is making chocolate chip cookies and you're still working that poo poo out in the twenty-first century to the point that your announcement of an improvement is something you've got to advertise, then maybe I'll just keep waiting until you catch up with anyone who's ever put the slightest bit of effort into baking.

Username/post combo

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think standard over-the-ear headphones are kind of a niche item. Most people just use their OEM earbuds or Skullcandy or something bland from Sony or Philips. Beats somehow managed to make them mainstream while costing the same and being inferior to other more established brands. So kudos for their marketing team I guess.

My redneck sister-in-law can barely cover her mortgage without asking for handouts. Her kids have Beats though. My wife wanted to buy a pair for our daughter, even though my kid never even asked for them. It's like the average consumer doesn't even know there are other brands. Unchecked, people will start referring to all big headphones as Beats just like people call photocopiers Xerox, mp3 players iPods and sodas Coke even when it's not that brand.

There's also the design. Beats cans have a certain clean, Apple-like aesthetic that appeals to a broader demographic than your standard, "geeky" high-end headphones.

That said, I coveted Skullcandy Aviators from the day they came out, so the second I could snap them up for $40 I did even though they weren't the color I wanted (white, on a random 50% off sale plus I had a gift card). After comparing them to friends' Beats, even the original $150 price sounds like a steal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yup, this sounds like an example of very good marketing. When everyone thinks of the product category they think of your product, combined with a product category virtually no-one would have previously thought about.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
One issue with comparing headphones is simply a matter of engineering. Headphones that are isolated from the surrounding environment ("closed") are going to sound worse than a comparable pair of non-isolated ("open") headphones in quiet environments, whereas the reverse is true for noisy environments. I'm guessing the popular Beats models are all closed models, whereas companies like Sennheiser that target prosumers would sell more open models.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
True on the Beats part, but not so much with Sennheisers. The bulk of their consumer range is closed-back, but they do have high-end models that are open-back for audiophiles. Sennheiser's consumer range closed-backs still does sound much better than Beats.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So our prime minister tried set up a photo op with some firefighters. It didn't go well.
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7867008

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I absolutely hate earbuds, they hurt my ears and won't stay in. I guess my ear canals are abnormally shaped or whatever. Anyways, I only use the big "cover your ear" style headphones. The impression I get is that Beats are only barely better than the twenty buck headphones I got from Meijer's (think Super Walmart without the Walmart level of customer). My son has a chintzy pair from five below that lost stereo function due to him having all the care of an 8 year old, but are still not terrible. Very little of that absurd cost is explainable beyond brand recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's nothing like seeing people on the street wearing Beats with the wire not even plugged in