Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Stanfield posted:

This is me as well, except I switched to SMN. It's weird how much this is getting me down too. I like most of HW but everything feels kind of tainted by Bard just not being fun anymore.

And I don't really get the thought process behind the change either. I haven't played them all but most jobs in HW seem to be a natural extension of what they already were, whereas as Bard is almost the exact opposite playstyle of what it was before.

A lot of it feels just like complexity for complexities sake. Monk and summoner are the two dps where I can say they looked at what the class had wrong, and fixed it. Bard very clearly got changed from one thing to another, and I feel blm did too. Dragoon is in the middle. I guess it's an evolution of the job, or just trying out new things but keeping them in the same context. It works for me at 58, where the biggest issue I have with it is the random finisher. There is also their refusal to ever obsolete a button, and it can leave classes feeling bloated as hell. (My ninjas hotbar in particular is in a very sad state.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

vanbags posted:

I doubt that. As long as you're following the group and sticking to objectives it's really hard to be the weak link in a 24 person team.

At least in large scale PvP like Seal Rock it's less about outplaying people on an individual level and more about not doing dumb things to hurt your team like being the lone Rambo who feeds the other team kills. Staying alive and knowing when to push or when to pull back is a way bigger contribution than how much damage you're putting up on the scoreboard.

Yeah, simply being around makes you a presence. Even if you think you're not doing that great, you're one of 16+ bodies at the node, which makes it a lot easier to scare people off and/or secure.

If you really don't feel like you're contributing, level a healer, slap on some Vitality right-side gear, and just heal the poo poo out of people for as long as your mana holds. One or two competent alliance healers can completely change the tide of a match by letting you hold onto a node in the face of superior numbers.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Healing is critical in Seal Rock. Since your company loses a significant chunk of intel if someone's KOed, people are very reluctant to wade into a losing fight, and keeping up heals on someone who's being focused is often enough to make people reconsider attacking. Even just maintaining Medica II/Succor/Aspected Helios on your party is usually enough of an edge to keep a defense going or push up to a node long enough to disable it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The main thing keeping me from trying PvP is that I already have ~36 actions on my Frankenstein's monster SCH cross hotbar setup, I don't know where I would even PUT all the other ones :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Chairman posted:

Healing is critical in Seal Rock. Since your company loses a significant chunk of intel if someone's KOed, people are very reluctant to wade into a losing fight, and keeping up heals on someone who's being focused is often enough to make people reconsider attacking. Even just maintaining Medica II/Succor/Aspected Helios on your party is usually enough of an edge to keep a defense going or push up to a node long enough to disable it.

The downside is that healing is also mega, mega boring in PVP. I know why they removed Cleric Stance, but part of the reason I like playing a healer in this game is working to balance between DPS and healing, and that simply ain't present in PVP.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Vermain posted:

The downside is that healing is also mega, mega boring in PVP. I know why they removed Cleric Stance, but part of the reason I like playing a healer in this game is working to balance between DPS and healing, and that simply ain't present in PVP.

Now that I can't do damage, I end up debuffing people instead -- keeping as many people slept at once as I can, spamming Blizzard II to keep people from capping things, pushing people off cliffs or away from other healers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vermain posted:

I did a 24-person Slaughter the other day as a SCH and still got more DPS than all but one on my team. We won, too (Flames). Draw from that what you will.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I love this outfit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Chairman posted:

Now that I can't do damage, I end up debuffing people instead -- keeping as many people slept at once as I can, spamming Blizzard II to keep people from capping things, pushing people off cliffs or away from other healers.

It's probably better on White Mage. Scholar can... Malady? I guess?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I did a 24-person Slaughter the other day as a SCH and still got more DPS than all but one on my team. We won, too (Flames). Draw from that what you will.

The Commander gear's actually pretty decent for jacking up your Intelligence without sacrificing too much Mind, with the downside that you have to win a gazillion games to actually get it. (Out of 15 games today, I won... two. :I)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 29, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Eej posted:

Look at this guy who has never used Nymeia's Wheel or Heart of the Crafter.

What does Nymeia's Wheel do, exactly? It's tooltip isn't specific about how whistle stacks affect its durability restore.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Vermain posted:

The Commander gear's actually pretty decent for jacking up your Intelligence without sacrificing too much Mind, with the downside that you have to win a gazillion games to actually get it. (Out of 15 games today, I won... two. :I)

If you have Scholar, you might as well just go Summoner

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mo0 posted:

What does Nymeia's Wheel do, exactly? It's tooltip isn't specific about how whistle stacks affect its durability restore.

9-11: 10 Dura
4-8: 20 Dura
1-3: 30 Dura

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

Scholar has some pretty absurd throughput, especially with Dissipation. With Vitality gear, you're almost impossible to kill, and Aetherflow + Mana Draw gives you the mana you need to survive protracted engagements. You also have Aura Blast to knock entire enemy teams off cliffs at the cliffside nodes.

Some other SCH tips:

• Leftside Piety + (Crit/Det) in every slot available. The only thing that will stop you is running out of mana, especially without Piety from your right side.
  • Rightside Vitality + best available substats. Try to get at least Crit or Det in every slot. Vitality is a huge game in Seize - it's +40% health, but only -20% healing. With that amount of health, you can shrug off melee limit breaks with several thousand health to spare.
  • Crossclass Surecast and Stoneskin, over Protect and Cleric Stance. Def/MDef don't actually work in Seize, so Protect does nothing, and you can't even use Cleric stance.
  • Lean heavily on Adlo and Succor. You definitely have the mana for it, and the shields do a ton of work when combined with the standard heals of other healers. It doesn't show up in endgame, unfortunately, but your shielding is the best part of your class. As a bonus, Galvanize protects from dots once they're healed up properly.
  • Surecast Blizzard II is a good way to keep melee off of you during a retreat. You're fantastically mobile and can easily keep yourself and a couple of other people safe once you're comfortable.
  • Don't be afraid to Dissipate. Your fairy is powerful, but if you pop cooldowns and then eat her, you wind up with 3 extra Aetherflow stacks and a ton of extra throughput, which lasts for 45 seconds in PvP. You can solo heal an entire alliance through a fight with the proper use of 9 stacks of Aetherflow.

e:

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Managed to keep the party alive when our tank 90k'd during Waukkeon; got all three comms, felt like a badass :hellyeah:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

vanbags posted:

So as a tank what ilvl should I shoot for before trying to get into savage Alex groups? Is full 190 a must?

I'd say mid 185. Funnily enough I have only bought one vit 190 right side. My earring/other ring/ and bracers are str. I figure as a drk 16.5k hp should be enough for savage a1. And having that str will help with the dps.

I am 190 left except for my chest.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
On BLM chat, I've more or less made my peace with the new mechanics because I enjoy SMN way less. However, it's really jarring to have the job change so drastically with the expansion. I guess it doesn't matter as much if you play 1-60 fresh whereas many of us have been at 50 for a long time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't even think the change was that drastic. You're just even more of a turret now, I guess? I dunno.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I don't know about you guys, but I'm having an absolute blast with dragoon past 50. Even though at a fist glance all that sends to be incredibly different is that you now have a fourth combo chain skill, playing dragoon now feels very fast paced and I love the feeling of maximizing your DPS.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

pandaK posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm having an absolute blast with dragoon past 50. Even though at a fist glance all that sends to be incredibly different is that you now have a fourth combo chain skill, playing dragoon now feels very fast paced and I love the feeling of maximizing your DPS.

Yes, I just got my dragoon to 58 the other day and it's really fun and is quickly becoming one of my favorite classes. I'm really looking forward to level 60.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want the title from killing a bunch of A rank hunts. Is there like a hunt linkshell or something that isn't full of idiots?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

pandaK posted:

pandaK posted:

When I get to the part of my rotation that lets me fire off a geirskogul and then go straight into a B4B/ life surge combo the reptillian part of my brain just shudders in ecstasy

Even better if I can get battle litany to line up with that. Nggh.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

The real secret to PVP is just to roll as a Flame if you really want to win rather than fighting the self-defeating tidal wave that is two GCs full of people that can't comprehend basic zone control.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dukka posted:

The real secret to PVP is just to roll as a Flame if you really want to win rather than fighting the self-defeating tidal wave that is two GCs full of people that can't comprehend basic zone control.

But being on the losing team has the advantage of people getting really mad in alliance chat. Like tonight, I had a guy who was furious at people for not following his strategies because he's in the military and he knows what he's talking about, drat it!

(to be fair, everyone should have been listening to him because it was all reasonable and good advice, I just think it's funny that he brought up that he's in the military as if anyone gives a poo poo)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
How do you switch GCs?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Etrips posted:

How do you switch GCs?

Once you max out your GC rank the NPCs mention that you can do so. Then you go tot he other GC hall and switch, first time is free, and it costs gil after that.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Once you max out your GC rank the NPCs mention that you can do so. Then you go tot he other GC hall and switch, first time is free, and it costs gil after that.

Is there anything I should pick up before switching GCs?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Spaceman Future! posted:

Geirskogul should have its own button, its a core rotation ability. its "free" potency so long as you dont gently caress up your rotation, if you use it every other BOD refresh it is an off gcd attack that also happens to hit other enemies, dont confuse it with an AOE primary ability. your rotation will end up looking somewhat like: HT, Phb, 1, 2, BOD, 3, WT / F&C, Geirskogul, From this point you have about 10 seconds on BOD to push out 1,2,3, WT / F&C -> HT, Phb -> if you didnt gently caress up you have enough cooldown left on BOD to 1,2,3, finisher, Geirskogul again.

Basically your new rotation at 60 is all about fighting the cooldown of BOD to throw Geirskogul up as often as you can without losing it while keeping HT and PHB up. The DPS peaks when you can keep it up for an extended period of time are insane.

This is from a couple pages back but you shouldn't be phlebotomizing right after HT. Disembowel doesn't help the dot damage, but it does boost the initial hit. Plus because of the way BOD timing works, if you do it right after HT there's a spot where you have 5 GCDs instead of 4 between your combo finishers. HT->CT->Ph->FT repeat is your best bet 99.9% of the time right now.

Got my Gordion chest yesterday and having a bunch of extra skill speed is fun. With an arrow I can get an extra geirskogul in per BoD and with fey wind on top of that I can get one off almost every combo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Etrips posted:

Is there anything I should pick up before switching GCs?

Chocobo barding, minion, any room decor you want. Might as well blow the seals (though they get 'frozen' so you can come back to them later if you'd like).

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Reading around here and on other sites makes me feel like I'm one of the few that really likes the changes done to Bard. I think it's pretty sweet.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Touchfuzzy posted:

Reading around here and on other sites makes me feel like I'm one of the few that really likes the changes done to Bard. I think it's pretty sweet.

It took a while to really click for me but I find it REALLY goddamn fun now. I absolutely love the empyreal arrow animation, too.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Chocobo barding, minion, any room decor you want. Might as well blow the seals (though they get 'frozen' so you can come back to them later if you'd like).

If you switch back, do you keep your rank?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hmmm yes, that WOULD kill all potatoes

Etrips posted:

If you switch back, do you keep your rank?

Yes. You have to work your way up the ranks in the other GCs too.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Touchfuzzy posted:

I've learned to play it finally but I still don't enjoy it. I maintain my "if I wanted to be a BLM I would have been a loving BLM stance."

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've learned to play it finally but I still don't enjoy it. I maintain my "if I wanted to be a BLM I would have been a loving BLM stance."

If by that, you mean "if I wanted cast times attached to my skills, I would be a loving BLM" then I don't get it because you can turn Minuet off?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dukka posted:

The only times I've seen Flames win is if they get absurdly lucky on tomelith spawns or Twin Adder just decides that it's a great day to feed them kills.

Although they have been improving lately. Flames completely shut down Adders in a couple of matches I did yesterday, although Maelstrom still won the match overall. One match had Adders come out with a double digit score. But for the most part I've never been on Maelstrom teams that feed quite as hard as the other two do.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Is there a 'best' GC for pvp on excal? I'm twin adders and we win frontlines maybe one out of five times.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Goon Static for raiding Savage is looking for an AST or WHM check out OP here: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27576

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Is there a 'best' GC for pvp on excal? I'm twin adders and we win frontlines maybe one out of five times.
Each GC will argue that they are the winning team, but the reality is that they all are terrible. This isn't for lack of trying or organization; they all have PvP LSes and can produce results when going in as premades. However, you will find more than one person per team per match is "just here for esos whatever lol".

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Touchfuzzy posted:

If by that, you mean "if I wanted cast times attached to my skills, I would be a loving BLM" then I don't get it because you can turn Minuet off?

Only if you want to be excruciatingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
so like the majority of bards who slug out 300dps and then go "but i'm a support so it's ok" while farting out army's paean right at the start of a fight

• Locked thread