Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo I love the Phoenix so much. And the Clemson. :allears:

Torpedoes are great for last ditch equalizers against a battleship that cornered you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo I love the Phoenix so much. And the Clemson. :allears:

Torpedoes are great for last ditch equalizers against a battleship that cornered you.

The Phoenix's extremely flat trajectory makes for an excellent DD murderer, and also penetrates other cruisers quite well. I don't like the Omaha as much due to it having a higher arc on its guns.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Has anyone got any basic tips for destroyers? I am playing through the Japanese cruiser and destroyer trees, and whist I have fun games in the cruisers, i just got wrecked in the destroyer as soon as I get revealed on the map, I can never close in enough to get a good torpedo run away. Am i supposed to be hiding in the lee of an island till the end of the game or something? I am currently trying to circle the map as far out as possible to sneak around and take out aircraft carriers and battleships while they concentrate on other things, but one or two volleys usually kills me when they see me.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

orange juche posted:

The Phoenix's extremely flat trajectory makes for an excellent DD murderer, and also penetrates other cruisers quite well. I don't like the Omaha as much due to it having a higher arc on its guns.

Ah yeah, that's true too.

If so, then I will miss the Phoenix when I move on. I might actually come back and play this ship more later though. This and the Clemson are the first two ships to make me think that.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I feel like Land of Hope and Glory should've been playing for the bulk of this match, but especially the opening engagement in B cap, where I charged headlong into three battleships and a cruiser with two Omahas in support and we killed loving everything.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

rossmum posted:

I feel like Land of Hope and Glory should've been playing for the bulk of this match, but especially the opening engagement in B cap, where I charged headlong into three battleships and a cruiser with two Omahas in support and we killed loving everything.

How do you play your replays?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

drag and drop onto, or open with, the game's .exe.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

Has anyone got any basic tips for destroyers? I am playing through the Japanese cruiser and destroyer trees, and whist I have fun games in the cruisers, i just got wrecked in the destroyer as soon as I get revealed on the map, I can never close in enough to get a good torpedo run away. Am i supposed to be hiding in the lee of an island till the end of the game or something? I am currently trying to circle the map as far out as possible to sneak around and take out aircraft carriers and battleships while they concentrate on other things, but one or two volleys usually kills me when they see me.

Basically the best route is "don't get spotted". Destroyers have a set distance at which they'll become visible (generally 5.9 km for most japanese destroyers, it's listed in the ship's stats), and with a bit of practice it's fairly doable to stay unseen all the time unless an enemy plane or destroyer surprises you. Japanese destroyers have the advantage that they generally have torpedoes with a longer maximum range than that spotting distance, and it's a perfectly valid tactic to just sit in that buffer zone between the two and keep endlessly farting out torpedoes from relative safety. With a bit of luck, you can go entire rounds without ever once being spotted, though of course there are times when taking a risk to get in close to guarantee hits is a good idea. Smoke is a livesaver for when you get spotted, but it can also be useful to buy some time when you make a break towards an isolated carrier or a battleship to get in a short-range salvo. If you do take fire, save your repair tool until you're either out of range or if your engine/rudder gets destroyed. Nothing is more annoying (and lethal) than using it on a fire only to get your engine wrecked immediately afterwards, leaving you dead in the water for ~100 seconds.

Hitting things at that distance is a bit of a gamble, but people often tend to be distracted enough that you can get at least one hit in. Even if you don't hit anything, you'll make them try to dodge and in the process keep them from accurately shooting back at your teammates. Prioritise slow/heavy ships that move perpendicularly to you, avoid targets that are currently turning. Another great target is ships that are just about to emerge from behind an island, they'll have minimal warning and you don't have to expose yourself to make the shot. When there's no immediate target in sight, don't be afraid to just dump a salvo at a likely choke point. Personally I tend to stick with the tight spread and fire two torps each directly behind, on top, and ahead of the lead indicator. That usually results in at least one hit, and if the target doesn't evade in time they're clustered together closely enough for 4+ hits. Outside of very short ranges, the wide spread usually leaves gaps big enough for even a battleship to comfortable fit between.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 29, 2015

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

TehKeen posted:

drag and drop onto, or open with, the game's .exe.

Cheers. Just watched that Gremmy Fault line game you had Ross too, my word, that looked rather intense!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
From russian forum :
Fire and Flood damage on battleships for every tier

https://translate.google.com/transl...t%26p%3D1083522

It doesn't seem that bad considering you can repair a good chunck of it.
What's funny is that fire damage increase with tier while HE spamming cruisers tend to become rare.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 29, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So what is that saying exactly? That on the russian servers, 17.8% of the total hp lost by T9 battleships is due to fire? Or is it something else?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

So what is that saying exactly? That on the russian servers, 17.8% of the total hp lost by T9 battleships is due to fire? Or is it something else?

That is what I understood from it.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Basically the best route is "don't get spotted". Destroyers have a set distance at which they'll become visible (generally 5.9 km for most japanese destroyers, it's listed in the ship's stats), and with a bit of practice it's fairly doable to stay unseen all the time unless an enemy plane or destroyer surprises you. Japanese destroyers have the advantage that they generally have torpedoes with a longer maximum range than that spotting distance, and it's a perfectly valid tactic to just sit in that buffer zone between the two and keep endlessly farting out torpedoes from relative safety. With a bit of luck, you can go entire rounds without ever once being spotted, though of course there are times when taking a risk to get in close to guarantee hits is a good idea. Smoke is a livesaver for when you get spotted, but it can also be useful to buy some time when you make a break towards an isolated carrier or a battleship to get in a short-range salvo. If you do take fire, save your repair tool until you're either out of range or if your engine/rudder gets destroyed. Nothing is more annoying (and lethal) than using it on a fire only to get your engine wrecked immediately afterwards, leaving you dead in the water for ~100 seconds.

Hitting things at that distance is a bit of a gamble, but people often tend to be distracted enough that you can get at least one hit in. Even if you don't hit anything, you'll make them try to dodge and in the process keep them from accurately shooting back at your teammates. Prioritise slow/heavy ships that move perpendicularly to you, avoid targets that are currently turning. Another great target is ships that are just about to emerge from behind an island, they'll have minimal warning and you don't have to expose yourself to make the shot. When there's no immediate target in sight, don't be afraid to just dump a salvo at a likely choke point. Personally I tend to stick with the tight spread and fire two torps each directly behind, on top, and ahead of the lead indicator. That usually results in at least one hit, and if the target doesn't evade in time they're clustered together closely enough for 4+ hits. Outside of very short ranges, the wide spread usually leaves gaps big enough for even a battleship to comfortable fit between.

This is how I (And I assume most other People) drive IJN Destroyers too and it works really well. Another thing that may or may not be obvious: you should turn of your AA guns (P with the standard keyboard configuration). That way they won't reveal your position by firing at planes flying by well outside the normal spotting range.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

Vivick posted:

This is how I (And I assume most other People) drive IJN Destroyers too and it works really well. Another thing that may or may not be obvious: you should turn of your AA guns (P with the standard keyboard configuration). That way they won't reveal your position by firing at planes flying by well outside the normal spotting range.

What the (more experienced) goons before me said. One other thing, target lone ships as much as possible or make sure your torps aren't spotted until the last moment, giving less time to slow BBs to react. If planes are flying between you and the target, chances are your torps will be spotted long before reaching their target.

Of course, that's easier said than done.

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.
I free exp'd through all the way through the Furutaka after all these horror stories, I don't know whether to feel guilty or happy that the jump from the Kuma to Aoba experience of the CBT is unsullied. Aoba is real good though so probably happy.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Krogort posted:

Fire and Flood damage on battleships for every tier

https://translate.google.com/transl...t%26p%3D1083522

drat, for fire damage, that's a rather high jump back to glory on tier 9 battleships. The Iowa really that tough of a cookie that you have to fire HE at it to do damage? Can't imagine people are doing this to Izumos.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Why does the flight control modules for the bogue suck :gonk: i haven't tried bombers yet, any advice on them?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy crap, it actually happened. I had a Good Game™ in the Kawachi. For some reason the enemy just obliged and came in nice and close. At the end it was down to me at touching distance against a BB and two cruisers, with me using the broadside turrets on both sides to keep shooting left and right simultaneously. I actually managed to take two of them down with me, with the enemy BB dying at exactly the same moment as I did. :black101:

Edit: Bonus shot from the next match: http://www.gfycat.com/IdolizedEdibleBelugawhale . I must have dodged about a dozen salvos from those two carriers over the course of the game. Of course, the moment I started giving them poo poo about it they finally managed to drop them close enough that I couldn't dodge them and promptly killed me :downs:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 29, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That was a drat nice dodge ;)

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011
Driving a Bogue is one of the worst experiences you can have in this game.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Psychosis 01 posted:

On the contrary, playing it with the air superiority loadout to extract tears from Jap CV pilots is some of the most fun you can have. Sucks when you don't get an enemy CV though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Psychosis 01 posted:

judging from how CVs play the game I'd have to say that driving seems like an exaggeration for sitting stock still through the entire match and ignoring the minimap then complaining in chat about how poo poo your team is when blown up by a destroyer half the map away from the other 14 ships

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
also took less than a week for some (christian) guy with a wehraboo name to solicit reports for my username in allchat

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

UberJew posted:

also took less than a week for some (christian) guy with a wehraboo name to solicit reports for my username in allchat

How much that Wargaming will actually force you to change it?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

How much that Wargaming will actually force you to change it?

War Thunder guys did (in that one it was a report by a guy with a rommel name) so pretty likely

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just remember guys, when you start seeing Wehraboos with the name Dönitz, remember to remind the person that Dönitz actually *was* a war criminal...just like Rommel. :v:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

ranbo das posted:

On the contrary, playing it with the air superiority loadout to extract tears from Jap CV pilots is some of the most fun you can have. Sucks when you don't get an enemy CV though.

Yes, it's also a terrible way to get out of the ship.

It's a match making rule that if you bring fighters, you will only be left with your one db squad to throw pebbles at BB.
If you bring 1 torp, 1 fighter, you'll be put in a match vs. 1 zuiho and an independence.

I have switched back to using the later. Thankfully only 10k left to go. Confederate flags full mast.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a way to change my in-game name? I want to change it to Rommel_WarCriminal.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a way to change my in-game name? I want to change it to Rommel_WarCriminal.

No you want FOG_Rommel_WarCriminal.
It costs 2500 gold.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
What's the story with the FOG thing

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

UberJew posted:

What's the story with the FOG thing

It's a clan that loves that stupid pedophilia anime about boats in WW2 that play down horrific historical events as small infights in school.

e: Girls with the spirit of WW2 boats or something I don't loving know it's stupid.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Michaellaneous posted:

It's a clan that loves that stupid pedophilia anime about boats in WW2 that plays down horrific historical events as small infights in school.

What, like the Holocaust was just someone farting in the bathroom?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

What, like the Holocaust was just someone farting in the bathroom?

Something along those lines, yes.
I think the rape of thousand people was a slapfight on the schoolyard iirc.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Welp I think I won't play WoWS until I get a better pc and/or mouse. Playing on Boot Camp (13 inch rMBP) using Trackpad is insanely hard.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

On a different note I will get my wehraboo bismarck tomorrow so I'll post some pictures about how the model is and building it and then raffle away the three invite codes.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Fizzil posted:

Why does the flight control modules for the bogue suck :gonk: i haven't tried bombers yet, any advice on them?

The flight control "upgrades" all seem to be worse than the default, at least for Americans. I think the fighter loadouts are poo poo since you're basically useless except for spotting in games with no enemy carrier. If there's only a single enemy carrier, well you can poop on them but once they run out of planes, you're useless again. All you did was cancel out one other ship while with a single torpedo bomber I can usually kill at least one battleship and do other damage while still harassing the enemy carrier with my fighters.

The strike loadouts don't even get a second torpedo bomber until tier 9. I can sort of understand why since two American torp spreads could easily sink even a high tier battleship but it makes the strike loadouts suck. I like dive bombers a little bit more but really they're only good for setting fires. Most of the time they miss on destroyers and even when you do hit, you only get an "incapacitation," whatever that means, with no damage. Some of the loadouts are just plain stupid too. Why yes, I would like to trade my one torpedo bomber for a second dive bomber! Why the gently caress would anyone pay xp and credits for such a lovely loadout?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Michaellaneous posted:

On a different note I will get my wehraboo bismarck tomorrow so I'll post some pictures about how the model is and building it and then raffle away the three invite codes.
I have big distrust with Italeri kits :colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Michaellaneous posted:

It's a clan that loves that stupid pedophilia anime about boats in WW2 that play down horrific historical events as small infights in school.

e: Girls with the spirit of WW2 boats or something I don't loving know it's stupid.

I thought it was the other pedophile shipgirl anime, not the wacky school hijinx one.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Aesis posted:

I have big distrust with Italeri kits :colbert:

You'll get information on how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The FOG people are a reference to Arpeggio of Blue Steel, the anime that wargaming said there would be some sort of collaboration with the publisher for in-game ship skins or voice packs (just like World of Tanks got some Girls Und Panzer stuff) at TGS or something. Nothing has come out of that yet I believe, so those people are merely fans of the show.

There might be people out there using Abyssal_Ship_Something instead, and those are fans of Kantai Collection, which is a web browser game that received an anime adaptation. FOG and Abyssal are two different things.

There, now you know.:japan:

OSad fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 29, 2015