Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rougey posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Was it me, or did Rick deliberately euthanize the thing he unfroze before trying to kill himself?

I mean I sort of get the feeling that he could have just been testing it, but... goddamn.

Nichael posted:

I feel a little embarrassed, but I'm not really sure what was occurring in that scene before the credits.

Rick is sad, goes to the garage to kill himself. Sets up death-ray and thaws(?) out amorphous blob creature with some kind of yellow chemical. Completes death-ray and pauses to take a sip of said chemical, before using ray it to kill creature. He does this because Rick is a proper loving science man and tests his poo poo. Goes to use death-ray on himself and passes out—presumably from imbibing the chemical—an instant before it fires, dodging death. Pan out and fade to black.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Megaspel posted:

Inside rick and morty labs:

Roiharmonland: you hosed up
Leaker: sorry I won't do it again
Roiharmonland: ok

later

Roiharmonland: wtf
Leaker: sorry man whoops heh
Is this really what its like at the office?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

and everything about all these episodes are perfect

even the mic drop

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

KoRMaK posted:

and everything about all these episodes are perfect

even the mic drop

NO YOU SEE SECTIOM 4:52 of S2E1 HAS A MAJOR :words: AND ITS BAD BECAUSE :words:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Pakled posted:

It isn't. That spoiler-tagged picture is a short gag in an episode about something very different.

Leave him with the surprise jeeze, next thing you're gonna do is tell him about the scene where dumbledore kills snape

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rougey posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Was it me, or did Rick deliberately euthanize the thing he unfroze before trying to kill himself?

I mean I sort of get the feeling that he could have just been testing it, but... goddamn.

i thought he was going on a bender and was just making some hosed up alien dust to snort but then he tried to kill himself which was a bit hackish

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
God drat do leaks poo poo up a thread. Did they even figure out how it happened? Anyway call me when this is over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I really hope the leaks don't keep up all season because otherwise this thread is a complete lost cause. I'm not even a "SPOILERS, NO MATTER HOW SMALL, RUIN EVERYTHING" person. But Rick and Morty is my weekend "dessert" if you will, giving me a reason to look forward to Sunday nights instead of being annoyed that I have to go to work the next day. I don't want to binge my dessert and it's annoying that I can't even read this thread anymore without it looking like a CIA report on Dick Cheney's man sized safe.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I use a greasemonkey script which makes the text in spoilers visible all the time, so I don't give a gently caress! [/ricksanchez]

CRINDY posted:

making GBS threads loving goddamn I was not expecting that ending (for the leak). Felt a little unearned, but good loving god, it had impact.

You're not the first to say that. Hell, someone else even used "unearned" as well. Maybe it's the sort of thing where you've had to have been in one of those relationships to understand why Rick was so hosed up at the end.

You go in just looking for fun, the other person does too, but somewhere along the line things start getting serious for them, but not for you. They keep getting dragged deeper and deeper while you're totally oblivious that you're using them, hurting them. Worst case, you break them. You break them bad. Then they leave, still broken, and you're left realising just how badly you hosed up and with absolutely no way to fix anything.

You're left with nothing but the certain knowledge of what a massive arsehole you were to someone who loved you and trusted you.

For anyone who's been there, yeah, it's earned. Consider yourself lucky you haven't.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've listened to this song like six times today. Their other stuff is good, too.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I really hope the leaks don't keep up all season because otherwise this thread is a complete lost cause. I'm not even a "SPOILERS, NO MATTER HOW SMALL, RUIN EVERYTHING" person. But Rick and Morty is my weekend "dessert" if you will, giving me a reason to look forward to Sunday nights instead of being annoyed that I have to go to work the next day. I don't want to binge my dessert and it's annoying that I can't even read this thread anymore without it looking like a CIA report on Dick Cheney's man sized safe.

I understand your frustration, and I've been on that side of it too, but since I really don't see anyone making a Rick and Morty *SPOILER* thread.

Just talk about the episode you want to talk about, and i'm sure others will too- I know I would appreciate a bit more discussion about episode one. I think i'm going to have to rewatch it a few more times just to see all the little ways the dimensions are different.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I can definitely see where people are coming from with how abrupt the end is, but yeah the whole thing made sense to me, too. I really like what Roiland did with Rick after he came back. He really nailed that feeling of just being loving done.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Veskit posted:

God drat do leaks poo poo up a thread. Did they even figure out how it happened? Anyway call me when this is over.
the existence of this thread means that it is already shitted up

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

KoRMaK posted:

Woah thats deep

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

This thread is Morty.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

TheWyrmDude posted:

This thread is Morty.

Gee Rick I don't know...agh...I just think you maybe...maybe umm you didn't earn that pathos. You know, when you lost the only entity you ever truly loved. Maybe Rick oh geez!

"Shut the gently caress up Mortythread. What do you know about *burp* love? You're just a loser nerd Mortythread, sitting on you rear end, taking apart things people put their hearts into cause you're too goddamn *blaaaaaaaagh* you're a loving child Mortythread!"

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

KoRMaK posted:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I had a day off so a friend and I decided to marathon Rick and Morty for his girlfriend who hadn't seen it. We saw the S2e3 leak was available and thought it would be a nice cheery way to cap off the experience.

:catstare:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought Rick was manifesting his negative feelings. Killed off.the old batch and was creating a new one. Who knows. It was badly explained

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought Rick was manifesting his negative feelings. Killed off.the old batch and was creating a new one. Who knows. It was badly explained

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.

Rick hooked up with an ex, someone who obviously mattered to him a while back. They both reveled in the memory of their youth, but she realized Rick was toxic and told him as much. That's something that can really mess you up. I really, really empathize with Rick here.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.

Rick hooked up with an ex, someone who obviously mattered to him a while back. They both reveled in the memory of their youth, but she realized Rick was toxic and told him as much. That's something that can really mess you up. I really, really empathize with Rick here.
Alright, easssy.

Its a cartoon, don't forget.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KoRMaK posted:

Alright, easssy.

Its a cartoon, don't forget.

Hmm, hmm

No I'm pretty sure cartoons can still have pathos and delve into the darker parts of humanity (see Bojack Horseman)

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
On a lighter note, was the song from the beginning real or show-made? And if it's real, what the hell is it?

(That opening scene was really fun. I wish we could get more of Rick and the kids bonding in between all the "I hate yous." That little bit felt natural.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A few things I love about this show:
- It holds continuity even though it really doesn't have to.
- The contrast between Rick's crazy adventures and Beth and Jerry's comparatively mundane stories is a good balance and I hope they keep it up.
- It obviously isn't afraid to go deeper and darker with moments of seriousness, and there are layers to Rick's character.

That said, I have to echo that Rick attempting suicide was a maybe a little too much, at least this soon in the series. This is really the very first instance where we see a crack in his loving life/no fucks given demeanor.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Did you guys all forget what "WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB" means? "I am in great pain, please help me."

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I will be zero percent surprised if this show takes a Moral Orel/Bojack Horseman turn for the rest of its run.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

That said, I have to echo that Rick attempting suicide was a maybe a little too much, at least this soon in the series. This is really the very first instance where we see a crack in his loving life/no fucks given demeanor.

I don't think is the first crack at all. Rick is man made of nothing but cracks. He isn't happy, he's manic. He does reckless, horrible things because he can't function like a normal human being and needs constant distractions so he can forget how empty he feels inside. He's in a bad place, and he's been there for a very long time.

Also, this doesn't really have anything to do with the latest episode, but Jerry and Beth are perfect for each other in the worst possible way. She's a control freak with an inferiority complex, and he's a doormat with an inferiority complex. They tear each other down to feel superior because that's easier than addressing their own faults and trying to change them. The worst part is that on some level they really do love each other; and if they could just stop hating themselves long enough to support and help each other they could have a genuinely happy marriage, but they can't so they won't.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

I will be zero percent surprised if this show takes a Moral Orel/Bojack Horseman turn for the rest of its run.

I kind of will. At least this soon. Unlike with Orel, here they have a runaway hit that people are already obsessing over/cosplaying, etc. It's clear people love this as Futurama 2.0.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I can definitely see where people are coming from with how abrupt the end is, but yeah the whole thing made sense to me, too. I really like what Roiland did with Rick after he came back. He really nailed that feeling of just being loving done.

Given what we've heard about he creators of the show being, uh, difficult people, I wouldn't be surprised if ep3 wasn't also a bit autobiographical.

Apart from the world spanning hive mind.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Himself tried to kill him first, it was self defense. :colbert:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Gee Rick I don't know...agh...I just think you maybe...maybe umm you didn't earn that pathos. You know, when you lost the only entity you ever truly loved. Maybe Rick oh geez!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Given what we've heard about he creators of the show being, uh, difficult people, I wouldn't be surprised if ep3 wasn't also a bit autobiographical.

Apart from the world spanning hive mind.

Maybe the creators have gone full schitzo and the hive mind is...us.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Tendales posted:

It felt like this episode was an attempt to replicate the melancholy feeling of those shows without having laid the groundwork to make it seem organic. Bojack's darkness is a bit more mundane and has been built in from the beginning. Morel Orel used it well in its final season to explore why everyone in Orel's town is so hosed up. Rick and Morty, though... I can buy Rick being depressed. They've given us flashes before. It's clear Rick isn't quite the confident give-no-fucks guy he projects, but it's very hard for me to buy him being suicidal. I get that Unity was offering him the extreme hedonism to fill his void that no one else could, but the episode never made me feel like he gave a poo poo about her on a level beyond that. I'm all for trying to make characters deeper and more faceted, but I prefer misanthropic rear end in a top hat Rick who occasionally lets slip he cares about his family to suicidally depressed Rick. Having said all of that, I did like everything else about the episode.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:drat:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I'm really glad that they've had a bit more of Summer in these episodes.
I hope that's something they keep up for the rest of the season.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Laverna posted:

I'm really glad that they've had a bit more of Summer in these episodes.
I hope that's something they keep up for the rest of the season.

I love Summer, it's nice that she's becoming a real character and an active part of the main cast. Harmon was talking about it with her VA during the launch party, he said they pretty much intentionally wrote her as a blank slate teen sister and never intended to go any further with it, she was just going to be a perpetually dumb and boring counterpoint to Morty (which reminds me of Shelly from South Park who has spent 15 years as a total non-character). I think he said that Spencer Grammer's performance had a lot to do with it and they really realized how much more fun they could have with her during the Needful Things production.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ror posted:

I love Summer, it's nice that she's becoming a real character and an active part of the main cast. Harmon was talking about it with her VA during the launch party, he said they pretty much intentionally wrote her as a blank slate teen sister and never intended to go any further with it, she was just going to be a perpetually dumb and boring counterpoint to Morty (which reminds me of Shelly from South Park who has spent 15 years as a total non-character). I think he said that Spencer Grammer's performance had a lot to do with it and they really realized how much more fun they could have with her during the Needful Things production.

I'm really glad they saw more in the character, she had great moments in the first season and it'd actually be weird if she wasn't elevated somewhat.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so did Spencer just adlib a lot of her lines in the first season then? Things like her "and that is why I choose to get Cs" line seemed like she definitely had more to offer, and that was the 2nd episode.

That and for someone that was supposed to be a blank slate she had a lot of screentime after she and Rick went to Gazorpazorp

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i thought he was going on a bender and was just making some hosed up alien dust to snort but then he tried to kill himself which was a bit hackish
Actually I thought that at first as well, for all of three seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Aces High posted:

so did Spencer just adlib a lot of her lines in the first season then? Things like her "and that is why I choose to get Cs" line seemed like she definitely had more to offer, and that was the 2nd episode.

That and for someone that was supposed to be a blank slate she had a lot of screentime after she and Rick went to Gazorpazorp

Maybe, in the pilot she was obviously a blank slate but I think she's pretty cool and good.

• Locked thread