Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If it doesn't increase oil usage, what's the point?

Easier and faster to get their sludge to processing/shipping facilities than by train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Hillary's planned parenthood statements are pretty poo poo.

This.

The only way it could have been worse is if she just fell in line with Fox News.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ElrondHubbard posted:

This.

The only way it could have been worse is if she just fell in line with Fox News.

Yeah, it's pretty lovely for sure. The willingness of the rest of the media to go along with the ACORNing as well... I don't have high hopes for PP's survival.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

For the first time I'm starting to get legitimately worried that we'll have a full-on Republican government after the 2016 elections.

Hillary would destroy any of the Republican nominees purely because their campaigns are run by jokes.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, it's pretty lovely for sure. The willingness of the rest of the media to go along with the ACORNing as well... I don't have high hopes for PP's survival.

Yep it's religion and the media's fault that people find someone discussing crushing/selling fetal parts while casually eating an arugula salad to be distasteful.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

For reference, here's what she said:

quote:

Calling them “disturbing,” Hillary Clinton said undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood officials discussing the sale of aborted fetal tissue raise questions about the process nationwide.

“I have seen pictures from them and obviously find them disturbing,” the Democratic presidential hopeful said during a sit-down interview Tuesday with the New Hampshire Union Leader.

“Planned Parenthood is answering questions and will continue to answer questions. I think there are two points to make,” Clinton said. “One, Planned Parenthood for more than a century has done a lot of really good work for women: cancer screenings, family planning, all kinds of health services. And this raises not questions about Planned Parenthood so much as it raises questions about the whole process, that is, not just involving Planned Parenthood, but many institutions in our country.”

“And if there’s going to be any kind of congressional inquiry, it should look at everything and not just one (organization),” she said.

“I’m well aware that passions are very high,” Clinton said. “I have said for more than 22 years that abortion should be legal, safe and rare. As First Lady, I led an effort to try to lower the number of teenage pregnancies and we succeeded, and as President I will continue to work toward that so that women are fully empowered, they can afford to make responsible decisions, and I hope we will be successful at that.”

And yeah, I agree that her statements here are pretty weak.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a great question, and I'm glad you asked. Now let me tell you about America Works.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nietzschean posted:

That's a great question, and I'm glad you asked. Now let me tell you about America Works.
We're all privileged to live in a great country like America, where you can ask questions like that. Questions that deserve an answer.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Nonsense posted:

Hillary Clinton, fierce advocate for women's rights.*

*Unless there is a triangulation opportunity, then gently caress 'em

But seriously with the all the evidence that these videos were selectively edited her statement is about as tone-deaf, weak-tea, and focus-group-focused as they can be. Does she actually have any opinions of her own that aren't the equivalent of "let me get back to you on that, here have some pablum to tide you over."

Feather fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yep it's religion and the media's fault that people find someone discussing crushing/selling fetal parts while casually eating an arugula salad to be distasteful.

The video was selectively edited and out of context. No, pimps and hos aren't getting housing assistance and no, babies aren't being sold over brunch.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

If you think this is about "distasteful" you should start paying attention. This is 100% about GOP hacks latching on to something that might get them the chance to do what they've been trying to do for the last 5 years. We killed a million people in Iraq and no one on the Right gives a single poo poo about that. GOP voters don't care about babies, they care about women being punished for having sex.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Gallows Humor and the Abortionist's Dead Baby Joke

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hillary's not even trying, which makes sense because she's courting millennials who would be freaked out by the sight of someone working.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
"It's like she's just Skyping it in."

*nods approvingly in parent's basement apartment, reaches for customized vape chamber*

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Lord of Pie posted:

Hillary's not even trying, which makes sense because she's courting millennials who would be freaked out by the sight of someone working.

:mrwhite:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hahahaha Jesus Christ Clinton. That was a slam dunk opportunity for you and you didn't even bother to catch the ball.

If she continues to give milquetoast non-answers like this to everything, we're doomed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Chokes McGee posted:

Hahahaha Jesus Christ Clinton. That was a slam dunk opportunity for you and you didn't even bother to catch the ball.

If she continues to give milquetoast non-answers like this to everything, we're doomed.

I seem to recall her fizzling in 2008 as well. I'm starting to think she just doesn't have the instinct for this.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

GOP voters don't care about babies, they care about women being punished for having sex.

This is kind of an amazing accusation from a party whose candidate dismissed, belittled, and undermined a young woman for giving her boss a beej.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Pro-life is actually Birth-At-Any-Cost

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Pro-life is actually Birth-At-Any-Cost

Not at all. They refuse to pay for any of it.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Birth-At-Any-Cost-To-The-Mother

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Bernie Sanders posted:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mullah Omar, one-eyed leader of the Taliban, has apparently been dead for 2 years. So that makes two big bad guy terrorists who have died under Obama's watch (the US didn't have anything to do with his death directly, though).

How will the GOP spin this to attack Hillary??? Maybe Omar had a premonition that Trump was going to run the United States in 2017 and had a heart attack at the thought.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It is kind of amazing how people having managed to take the most left wing and progressive candidate to run for President with any actual support in decades, who is running against an architect of the New Democrats third wayism, and make it so that supporting him is the bigoted, anti-minority and anti-women vote.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

For reference, here's what she said:

And yeah, I agree that her statements here are pretty weak.

Wow, what weaksauce bullshit. Seriously, Hillary? Making your bones on being the first woman President yet not having the stones to defend Planned Parenthood? How is it not a no-brainer to defend Planned Parenthood to the constituency you're trying to win?

And Bernie loving knocked it out of the park.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Alter Ego posted:

Wow, what weaksauce bullshit. Seriously, Hillary? Making your bones on being the first woman President yet not having the stones to defend Planned Parenthood?

Now you finally get the milquetoast that is Hillary.

"Elect me your leader, I will lead you.....but you have to tell me what to do or think, I think."

So then comes the obvious question of, what is Hillary's moral compass? (if she has any) I think 2016 is gonna be a year of ideologies and standing for them. I mean, poo poo, look at how Trump is polling.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is kind of an amazing accusation from a party whose candidate dismissed, belittled, and undermined a young woman for giving her boss a beej.
I'm not going to hold Hillary being pissed at the woman who her husband cheated with against her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

Hillary would destroy any of the Republican nominees purely because their campaigns are run by jokes.

I wish I could share your optimism, but I worry that if she shows up to debates in the general without any actual positions to fight for, she's going to look like a weak non-candidate next to the comparatively-firebrand Republican candidate.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I'm not going to hold Hillary being pissed at the woman who her husband cheated with against her.

Of course you're not. Because feminism and social justice are political tools, not objective ideologies.

Or perhaps the slut simply deserved what she got.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ Your custom title is downright prescient.

It's almost as if this is the primaries where Clinton's a lock (she is) and the Republicans are descending into a record-breaking farce, and Hillary's giving non-answers and being evasive on anything that could possibly catch the media's attention because the longer they stare wide-eyed at Trump the more damage the Republican party takes?

Or maybe the woman who's locked up more party endorsements than any non-incumbent by this point is Bad At Politics.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 29, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Of course you're not. Because feminism and social justice are political tools, not objective ideologies.

Or perhaps the slut simply deserved what she got.
A 12-million dollar book deal?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Harrow posted:

I wish I could share your optimism, but I worry that if she shows up to debates in the general without any actual positions to fight for, she's going to look like a weak non-candidate next to the comparatively-firebrand Republican candidate.

Yeah, didn't work for Gore, didn't work for Kerry. Didn't work for Hillary in 08. Don't really understand what she is doing here.

I'm feeling better about Bernie's chances in the primary after this week. We'll see what happens after the big event tonight.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm curious. While I think Hillary's statement on Planned Parenthood was hilariously half-assed, how does she benefit from vocally taking stances on... anything, right now? She's way out in front, the other candidates need to catch up to her. Meanwhile, the media is focused on the Republican slideshow.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

JT Jag posted:

I'm curious. While I think Hillary's statement on Planned Parenthood was hilariously half-assed, how does she benefit from vocally taking stances on... anything, right now? She's way out in front, the other candidates need to catch up to her. Meanwhile, the media is focused on the Republican slideshow.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
And her favorables are under water and going the wrong direction.

So yes, she technically doesn't need to address any substantive point on anything and still win the primary.

She'll then get destroyed by someone who isn't a triangulating robot in the general.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yes, and?

She can start caring about accusations of flip flopping when anyone in the primary is within 20 points of her.

And her favorables are under water and going the wrong direction.

So yes, she technically doesn't need to address any substantive point on anything and still win the primary.

She'll then get destroyed by someone who isn't a triangulating robot in the general.
Let's just wait until the nationwide favorability ratings for the Republican candidates starts coming out. Trump might be over 50 amongst Republican primary voters, but if you think Hillary is underwater...

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 29, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Yes, and?

She can start caring about accusations of flip flopping when anyone in the primary is within 20 points of her.

She should start caring, because it will matter in the general. Yes, it's early, but this is a pattern with her, and the earlier she starts addressing these things--staking out real positions, standing for them, and addressing the positions she's changed on--the earlier she strengthens her (very likely) general election run.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

JT Jag posted:

Yes, and?

I don't think anyone gives a gently caress about the primary. It's the August-October attack ad season that is scary. Can you imagine the quick cuts of her from the early 90s onward taking multiple positions on issues, or deflecting, or non-answers?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I give a gently caress about the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm surprised the whole 'secret tape edited and released out of context' trick hasn't been adopted by left-leaning groups yet. Why not? It seems to be dreadfully successful. Obviously you would perhaps not want to go for full brazen lies, but you could create a highlight reel of the truth, like that 47% statement.

• Locked thread