Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that raid was by revenu québec, québec's tax collection agency. they collect sales taxes (both federal and provincial) and provincial income taxes in québec only.

the canada revenue agency collects provincial/federal income and sales taxes everywhere else (except BC, I think?)

so they can be under investigation in québec without necessarily being investigated by the federal agency

Cold on a Cob posted:

lmao they did try

apparently this translation sucks and 'would have' should be 'tried to' lol

"would have" is "aurait", translates to "allegedly did"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

they have 3900 employees, this is insane

They have over 100 designers, which is beyond insane

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

From way back, but just finished the 3-part instaserf podcast.
why is the journalist from Pando, Sarah Lucy, okay with Lyft and other sharing economy firms, but Uber is the devil?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

wait i thought uber drivers were prohibited to taking money outside of the app

or are they saying that drivers should shave off even more of their poo poo income to pay taxes that uber doesn't feel like collecting?

in theory number one, in practice number two. not adding tax to the fare lets uber undercut its competitors a bit more, and apparently if they got called on it their plan was to say that the fares mostly went to the drivers and therefore it was the drivers' responsibility to charge tax

in practice, this is laughable and likely to fall apart in court, since uber is the one actually billing riders, but uber can afford enough lawyers to delay punishment for a couple of years

ANAmal.net posted:

i thought the canadian irs was already onto their bullshit, wasnt that where the "uber remotely wipes devices with financials on them after they were seized" thing came from?

lmao this loving owns

i think before it was just the quebec irs, now they're in danger of getting investigated by the real canadian irs too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

holy poo poo

that deserves to be published in an anthology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

They have over 100 designers, which is beyond insane
holy crap we have 30 designers to support 90 applications [and our whole front end framework] and it's the biggest team I've ever worked on

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It makes me a little sad that Uber is apparently such a poo poo company because it's SO MUCH BETTER THAN TAXIS

Taxis need to step their game up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

uber is attempting to say that because driver partners are independent contractors that they must collect the sales tax and such themselves just like any individual business would. it varies by jurisdiction, but if the drivers are actually independent contractors (they're not) then the tax man should actually be going after all the unlicensed businesses that uber contracts with to provide rides.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

wyoak posted:

It makes me a little sad that Uber is apparently such a poo poo company because it's SO MUCH BETTER THAN TAXIS

it turns out its really easy to be ~disruptive~ when you just decide to illegally ignore half the costs all the existing competitors in the market are paying

see also: airbnb

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

uninterrupted posted:

from a while back, but this was me. enjoying the move from Florida and funy computer job w tinderella

Wtf didn't a dude already respond to this and admit that it was him??

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

from a while back, but this was me. enjoying the move from Florida and funy computer job w tinderella

where did you move from in florida.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
oh ok, i didnt realize quebec had its own irs, i am glad there is potential future ownage coming to uber

which i keep typing as "irc" because im hosed up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dislike button posted:

my friend got banned from uber for farting in the guys car. the driver wouldnt let him roll the windows down so he let one rip and the dude flipped out saying 'i am not a cab driver this is not a cab' and got him blacklisted on the app. lol

lomaool

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:angel:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hahaha so now we're having an argument with the white supremacists. cool

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

amazing https://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/6m87a/can_we_ban_this_extremely_racist_asshole/c0497jb

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

wait i thought uber drivers were prohibited to taking money outside of the app

or are they saying that drivers should shave off even more of their poo poo income to pay taxes that uber doesn't feel like collecting?

this is a local thing to austin, though other places have similar rules. if you pay through the app you are technically paying uber, not the driver, if you are paying the driver directly in cash, that is an unlicensed taxi and you are violating the local austin taxi statutes.

they had code enforcement leaving tips in uber drivers for the first few months they operated here who would leave a buck in the cup holder and if the uber driver didn't give it back to them they'd impound the car and it was hilarious.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

wyoak posted:

it's more of a structural problem with ride-for-hire stuff in general, combined with insufficient enforcement of the laws intended to curb the misbehaviors. basically, the structure of ride-for-hire incentivizes taxi companies to gently caress over their drivers, which only adds to the existing incentives for drivers to gently caress over customers whenever convenient, laws against this loving-over tend not to be enforced very well, and customers hardly ever report violations anyway.

it's the same with uber. it tries to gently caress over drivers for its own profit, and the drivers in turn try to gently caress over customers for their own profit, and both of them violate every law they think they can get away with. the only difference with uber is that the balance of power vastly favors the company, which can then force such bad conditions on drivers that they're reduced to begging for tips or trying to figure out how to game the system

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

As a Millennial I posted:

hahaha so now we're having an argument with the white supremacists. cool

not an argument!! just a rational discussion to hear out their points and evaluate them on merit!!!! we cant just like *not* give them a forum to discuss their side of the argument about how some humans are worth less than other humans

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hopefully both the reddit moderators and the white supremacists can acknowledge valid points that the other group makes and arrive at a place of mutual understanding and respect

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Well as John Siracusa said, since Reddit and their databases are the US government it would be wrong of them to censor speech.

vvv I believe the term you are looking for is Reddit delenda est vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 29, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
just shut the whole thing down

all of reddit

kill it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

but how will i find the sgdq vods without /r/speedrun

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

idk, youtube or something

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

youtube gamesdonequick account is the official sgdq upload site... there will be comments in the videos linking to where the run actually starts (since the vods include boring setup times)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

but how will i know what the good ones are

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mulva posted:

Well as John Siracusa said, since Reddit and their databases are the US government it would be wrong of them to censor speech.

who said what now?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

it turns out its really easy to be ~disruptive~ when you just decide to illegally ignore half the costs all the existing competitors in the market are paying

see also: airbnb
It's not so much the price as the fact that I can reserve a car just for me and see where it is when it's on the way and not have to worry about someone else taking it when it arrives. Taxi apps are lovely by comparison.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's the same with uber. it tries to gently caress over drivers for its own profit, and the drivers in turn try to gently caress over customers for their own profit, and both of them violate every law they think they can get away with. the only difference with uber is that the balance of power vastly favors the company, which can then force such bad conditions on drivers that they're reduced to begging for tips or trying to figure out how to game the system
I've never been hosed over by an Uber driver but I suppose that's a small sample size. Taxi drivers do it though, but I think part of it may be that in Denver the average taxi driver is not good at driving and doesn't know the city at all, where most of the UberX drivers have lived here a while and know how to get around - why's the balance of power so much more in Uber's favor than the taxi companies anyway?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wyoak posted:

It's not so much the price as the fact that I can reserve a car just for me and see where it is when it's on the way

not necessarily

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

who said what now?

jokes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol

i like the part where the reddit admin guy says their right to ban hate speech is not up for debate and the other guy says 'no actually it is' i don't think he realizes that to have a debate one side actually has to engage. if you're ranting and the other side chooses to ignore you, it's not a debate idiot lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wyoak posted:

I've never been hosed over by an Uber driver but I suppose that's a small sample size. Taxi drivers do it though,

*forces your seeing-eye dog to ride in the trunk*

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

wyoak posted:

why's the balance of power so much more in Uber's favor than the taxi companies anyway?

money

most taxi companies are barely profitable by law and uber just ignores the law

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4SpQnlS0zo

minor criticism for the greatest city on earth

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

took me a while to notice the timestamps said '7 years ago'

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Syncopated posted:

Wtf didn't a dude already respond to this and admit that it was him??

maybe there were two guys at black jack on Sunday burning time waiting for their date by posting on the 'pos

where did you move from in florida.

boynton beach. got sick of the suburbs and my old company is on its last legs. lol tech buubel.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

uninterrupted posted:

waiting for their date

posting on the 'pos

does not compute

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Main Paineframe posted:

it's more of a structural problem with ride-for-hire stuff in general, combined with insufficient enforcement of the laws intended to curb the misbehaviors. basically, the structure of ride-for-hire incentivizes taxi companies to gently caress over their drivers, which only adds to the existing incentives for drivers to gently caress over customers whenever convenient, laws against this loving-over tend not to be enforced very well, and customers hardly ever report violations anyway.

it's the same with uber. it tries to gently caress over drivers for its own profit, and the drivers in turn try to gently caress over customers for their own profit, and both of them violate every law they think they can get away with. the only difference with uber is that the balance of power vastly favors the company, which can then force such bad conditions on drivers that they're reduced to begging for tips or trying to figure out how to game the system

I remember when I lived in DC when the cabbies would try and rip everyone off with their weird rear end 'zones' thing and 'my credit card reader is broken, do you have the cash?'.

Well, a few years ago they switched to meters, to make the meters fair what they did was take all the reported zoned fares and did some math to figure out how cabbies would be able to make the same with a metered fare.

Welp, it turned out that most cab drivers weren't declaring all their fares and pocketing a lot of cash so when they switched to meters they were getting super underpaid.

quote:

The city's switch to a metered taxi fare system is being promoted as a success by District officials but continues to draw complaints from drivers, who say their income has dropped by at least 30 percent since it took effect a year ago.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

wyoak posted:

I've never been hosed over by an Uber driver but I suppose that's a small sample size. Taxi drivers do it though, but I think part of it may be that in Denver the average taxi driver is not good at driving and doesn't know the city at all, where most of the UberX drivers have lived here a while and know how to get around - why's the balance of power so much more in Uber's favor than the taxi companies anyway?

because uber takes the mcdonalds approach of hiring basically anyone who walks in the door and then firing and replacing them at the first complaint, except with constant gps monitoring, heavy statistical analysis of driver behavior, and crowdsourced driver evaluation, so a driver is fired if they make the slightest misstep. also, real taxi drivers usually have to be registered and licensed and trained in specific ways and get specific kinds of of background check, so you can't just hire and fire willy-nilly, because of the burden associated with making sure new drivers are properly vetted and licensed and trained. uber does token background checks and ignores registration and licensing and training requirements, so workers are basically interchangeable for them - they can fire a hundred drivers tomorrow and have three hundred new drivers on the road to replace them by next week

uber drivers still have the same problems, like wanting to avoid inconvenient rides and wanting advantageous pay arrangements, but because the company is so hostile to them and so algorithm-focused, the driver misbehaviors tend to happen behind the scenes. for example, rather than driving off as soon as they see a black customer or hear that the trip destination is a poor area, they try to figure out drivers' race or destination from their name or location and then not take those hails in the first place. rather than refusing to take cards because they want to be paid in cash, uber drivers beg for cash tips (which uber officially prohibits)

mcd's employees would probably be less likely to gently caress up your order or spit in your shake if there were camera drones hovering over every employee's shoulder constantly recording and analyzing everything they do and sending it to a giant computer system at corporate hq which automatically fires them if they grab the wrong burger ingredient, take longer than the corporate-mandated burger-making time, or a frown is detected on the customer's face at any time while they are in the restaurant. its employee-hostile as hell, but this incredible abuse of workers improves the customer experience (at the cost of extremely high employee turnover and enormous human misery)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
average age of a fast food worker is like 28 dude

• Locked thread