Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Screenshots of Not-Valkyrie Profile

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/first-look-exist-archive-ps4-ps-vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DQs aren't that hard, you have a pretty distilled list of great ones on the DS and PS2. I'd also suggest diving right into Atlus' catalog (not just SMT/Persona but stuff like Radiant Historia as well).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

here is a list of every movie i've ever watched:

Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Halloween: Resurrection
Halloween (2007)
Halloween II (2009)
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park II: The Lost World
Machete
Spy Kids
Spy Kids II: The Island of Lost Dreams
Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over

Terminator
Terminator 2
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
you didn't watch spy kids 4??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

you didn't watch spy kids 4??
was machete in it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

here is a list of every movie i've ever watched:

Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Halloween: Resurrection
Halloween (2007)
Halloween II (2009)
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park II: The Lost World
Machete
Spy Kids
Spy Kids II: The Island of Lost Dreams
Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over
Terminator
Terminator 2
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

At least you've got the classics covered.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The major thing about 'hard modes' in RPGs is that they're actually a lot harder to make. Just pumping up HP/stats rarely works out well. You usually need to adjust attack patterns, enemy layouts, and in an ideal world it would change weapon/skill/ability progression in a variety of ways. It's actually a lot of work and it tends to assume players are better at reading games than they usually are.

That's also why so many hard-mode patches end up being Kaizo style, because the people willing to dedicate time to major changes are so engrossed in the core mechanics of the game they don't realize that those adjustments don't flow naturally without outside knowledge.

(This is also why Valkyrie Profile: CotP has one of the best 'difficulty' modes in RPGs.)

Yeah a well done hard mode would mean they change up the boss scripts but I can't expect a developer to go to all that work for a hard mode RPG.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Well this is a list of every JRPG I have played in about 15 years of being a primarily JRPG gamer:
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode I
Xenosaga Episode II
Xenosaga Episode III
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Now you might notice there is a pattern here. As in, I've pretty much only played FF games. I have absolutely zero experience with any of the other big JRPG franchises or even the half dozen of notable JRPG trilogies or the dozens of notable Japanese duologies or the infinite number of single JRPGs. Don't know poo poo about Tales or SMT or Atelier or Wild Arms or Suikoden or....

I feel like, whenever people start talking about JRPGs and which are the best, I'm obviously missing out since I have such a small pool of experience to draw from. I need to actually start playing other JRPG series.

Breath of Fire IV is dirt-goddamn-cheap in the current PSN sale if you have a PS3 or PSP, and a good place to start. Then go get yourself Persona 3 or 4 (Persona 4-Golden if you have a Vita). If you at least tell us what consoles you have you'll get a primer on what's worth getting pretty drat quick.

Also condolences on playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope :ohdear:.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nakar posted:

Dragon Quest XI, now coming to iOS!

...Actually this could happen with the 3DS version I suppose.
Oh it will. That's an easy guarantee.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Well this is a list of every JRPG I have played in about 15 years of being a primarily JRPG gamer:
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode I
Xenosaga Episode II
Xenosaga Episode III
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross

Now you might notice there is a pattern here. As in, I've pretty much only played FF games. I have absolutely zero experience with any of the other big JRPG franchises or even the half dozen of notable JRPG trilogies or the dozens of notable Japanese duologies or the infinite number of single JRPGs. Don't know poo poo about Tales or SMT or Atelier or Wild Arms or Suikoden or....

I feel like, whenever people start talking about JRPGs and which are the best, I'm obviously missing out since I have such a small pool of experience to draw from. I need to actually start playing other JRPG series.

You go play Nocturne right the heck now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey now, Till the End of Time is still the only JRPG I regret playing, and I forgot to mention I also played Mugen Souls Z. I'd still play that over SO3.

Anyway, I only have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 at the moment. I want to get a PS4 but that can wait until more games I care about are on it. I also want to get a PSP for Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Don't know if you know this about me but I can't see very good so my experience with handhelds is limited to those I can emulate or those that can be played on a TV screen.

But yeah, I have heard ednelssly about how great Persona 3 and 4 are. Hence why I want to play 2. A friend of mine who has played drat near every JRPG I've ever heard of says it's th same deal as FFVI vs. FFVII. The burst of popularity that came with 3 and 4 made older fans resent it, hence every post I've read dismissing 3 and 4 as "dating sims, not JRPGs." Regardless, Persona 2 sounds really cool and I've been meaning to play it for about three years now. I loving even bought the soundtrack! I can't remember if it's Innocent Sin's or Eternal Punishment's OST but it's been languishing in my suitcase because a guy warned me against listeningto it early because it has spoilers in it.

Anyhow, is Breath of Fire the Strategy RPG or is that Fire Emblem? I'm pretty sure I recall reading that one of those is an SRPG. As my list shows, I've never played a Strategy RPG in my life. Or I guess it's Tactical RPG? Whichever.

EDIT:

Forgot that I also have Tales of Symphonia and Digital Devil Saga 1 downloaded on my PS3. I Just need to actually get around to playing them.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 29, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fire Emblem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can the Vita TV play PSN games?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Like Playstation Classics and such? Yeah, I can.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

It's the guts of a Vita, minus the touchscreen/touchpad components of the controller. It'll play anything a Vita can that doesn't use them. So short answer is yes.

On a side-note with that, is there any word about the Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden PS4 ports that were supposedly coming?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Endorph posted:

jesus you've been missing out

Excuse me, but the man has already played Star Ocean 4, something no JRPG past present or future can ever hope to surpass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kild posted:

You go play Nocturne right the heck now.

Just a side-note, if you're in a PAL region like Europe or Australia the game Kild's referring to is called Lucifer's Call. You can blame a German adventure game with the same name for that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nah I live in America. I've heard of Nocturne before. There's very few JRPGs I haven't heard of, probably. I just need to actually play them.

See my interest in DQ all started when a guy was comparing the DQ and FF series since they are apparently rivals in Japan. I don't know why he did it but he started with FF1 vs. DQ2 ad proceeded from there. Would seem to make more sense to do DQ1 vs. FF1 and DQ2 vs. FF2 and so-on but oh well.

Anyway, here was one of the replies:

quote:

Final Fantasy II vs. Dragon Quest III - DQIII, no question. FFII may have brought plot and characters to FF bit DQIII has a very clever plot a more interesting world and implemented several gameplay mechanics that were far ahead of their time like the ability to choose party gender, a comprehensive job system with stat manipulation, day and night cycles that affect the enemies you encounter, monster arenamatches you can bet on, battery save feature, and the first inkling of the town building system. I would go so far as to say that DQIII is probably the best RPG on the NES.

That all sounds pretty awesome. I always thought of DQ as this generic "safe" series with nothing special in terms of gameplay and story. Looks like I have to re-evaluate that perspective.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's a fast starting RPG, like something the opposite of Persona 4, Suikoden V, or FFX where it takes forever to get out of tutorial battle land and into the fray.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tales games start fairly fast

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

What's a fast starting RPG, like something the opposite of Persona 4, Suikoden V, or FFX where it takes forever to get out of tutorial battle land and into the fray.

SMT Nocturne kicks you out the door and steals your lunch money right from the get-go.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

NikkolasKing posted:

See my interest in DQ all started when a guy was comparing the DQ and FF series since they are apparently rivals in Japan. I don't know why he did it but he started with FF1 vs. DQ2 ad proceeded from there. Would seem to make more sense to do DQ1 vs. FF1 and DQ2 vs. FF2 and so-on but oh well.

I assume that's because DQ2 preceded FF1 by nearly an entire year, so by the time the two franchises were actually in direct competition DQ1 wasn't much of a factor. Thus if you wanted an accurate comparison and features matchup you'd pair them starting at those entries. I'd hardly call it a perfect metric but it makes logical sense.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

I assume that's because DQ2 preceded FF1 by nearly an entire year, so by the time the two franchises were actually in direct competition DQ1 wasn't much of a factor. Thus if you wanted an accurate comparison and features matchup you'd pair them starting at those entries. I'd hardly call it a perfect metric but it makes logical sense.

Ah well that makes sense. I forgot he also skipped FFVII and VIII and went straight from FFVI vs. DQVI to FFIX vs.DQVII.That comparison now makes more sense because DQVII came out way after FFVIi and closer to FFIX.

Also speaking of DQVII, people weren't kidding when they said it was a long game. I don't think I've ever heard of a game taking 100 hours just for the main story but that was the estimate I found on another site. I mean, I've spent over 100 hours on many RPGs but that was with side poo poo and also the fact I'm really slow in general. But just the normal game itself? That's usually about 60 hours, maybe 80 hours at absolute best. 100 hours? That's crazy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tae posted:

If you don't mind hidden mechanics / Saga games you can try Minstrel Song. You do the tutorial quest and the whole game is open.

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah well that makes sense. I forgot he also skipped FFVII and VIII and went straight from FFVI vs. DQVI to FFIX vs.DQVII.That comparison now makes more sense because DQVII came out way after FFVIi and closer to FFIX.

Also speaking of DQVII, people weren't kidding when they said it was a long game. I don't think I've ever heard of a game taking 100 hours just for the main story but that was the estimate I found on another site. I mean, I've spent over 100 hours on many RPGs but that was with side poo poo and also the fact I'm really slow in general. But just the normal game itself? That's usually about 60 hours, maybe 80 hours at absolute best. 100 hours? That's crazy.

You literally don't do anything but puzzles for 2 hours as the intro. It's big slow and clunky.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode I
Xenosaga Episode II
Xenosaga Episode III
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross

If you have a decent computer, you have access to the PSX and SNES libraries of RPGs. They are the arguably the two consoles with the best RPG lineups, maybe PS2 can compete. Here are a few recommendations.

Tales of Vesperia (XB360)
Star Ocean 2/Second Story (PSX/PSP)
Suikoden 1 & 2 (PSX, PSN store)
Lost Odyssey (XB360)
Tales of Graces f (PS3)

Of course there are tons of other games, but I don't want to just list RPGs. Those are accessible and of good quality, and they aren't made by Squaresoft/Square-Enix. I wish Breath of Fire 3 was on the US PSN store, as I think it's a great game with a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpKavuk3Ts&t=744s

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I just realized last night on Disc 3 of Lost Odyssey that the game has a run button. drat. 27 hours in.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway, I only have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 at the moment. I want to get a PS4 but that can wait until more games I care about are on it. I also want to get a PSP for Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Don't know if you know this about me but I can't see very good so my experience with handhelds is limited to those I can emulate or those that can be played on a TV screen.

Do you have one of those PS3s that can play PS2 games? If so, your options increase dramatically. Either way, Resonance of Fate is a slightly more niche JRPG that is pretty good.

Edit: Actually I'm sure PS2 emulators are pretty drat fantastic these days, aren't they? In that case, try the Raidou Kuzunoha games too.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 29, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nah my PS3 isn't backwards compatible. I forgot I actually do have a PS2 though, it's just been tucked away in my closet for so long I forgot about it.

Another thing I forgot is that I actually already own Tales of Vesperia. I bought it along with Blue Dragon back when I got my 360. I just haven't played it yet. For the Tales series, I want to start with Symphonia because it's pretty popular and also it's older. I'll be working my way up through the franchise. I've been advised that starting with Graces or Vesperia is a bad idea because it'll make it really hard to go back to Symphonia or Abyss and their "outdated, objectively inferior mechanics.".

But yeah, even my lovely comp can emulate SNES or PS1 games. From what I know, those are indeed the two Golden Consoles for JRPGs. But I'm just trying to do one thing at a time. One series, one game, etc.. That way I can focus on DQ and get those out of the way. Then I can focus on...I dunno, the Suikoden series and get it out of the way. And so-on and so-forth. And if some of the games suck, if Suikoden IV is the abomination I've heard it is, so be it. That's part of the experience. I played SO3, I beat SO3, I fear no evil.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 29, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

in that case, bad eyesight man, you can buy a vita tv and play the PSP port of P2 on that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Every Tales game that isn't Graces f is inferior to me. After that badges (badges? I think they were badges) system gave purpose to every attack in battle, I just can't bring myself to care about random battles in any Tales games. The fact that every single attack made could be contributing to making you stronger, giving you a reason to not just spam the same combo over and over again, was awesome. I hunted down random battles to get into combat. The fact that it was lightning fast to start/end battle helped too.

Also Xillia's field design was really poo poo, just wide open fields or featureless corridors. Hurray.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Every Tales game that isn't Graces f is inferior to me. After that badges (badges? I think they were badges) system gave purpose to every attack in battle, I just can't bring myself to care about random battles in any Tales games. The fact that every single attack made could be contributing to making you stronger, giving you a reason to not just spam the same combo over and over again, was awesome. I hunted down random battles to get into combat. The fact that it was lightning fast to start/end battle helped too.

Also Xillia's field design was really poo poo, just wide open fields or featureless corridors. Hurray.
titles

and xillia powered up artes as you used them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said i agree graces' title system was really cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

in that case, bad eyesight man, you can buy a vita tv and play the PSP port of P2 on that.

Sounds like a plan. I had heard the PSTV isn't compatible with a lot of games so I wasn't sure about it but this list seems promising. At the very least it has the two games I care most about. (both Persona 2s)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

At the very least it has the two games I care most about. (both Persona 2s)

I hope you can read Japanese then, because Eternal Punishment's remake wasn't released in English.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I'm talking about the PS Classics version of EP that I can either get on my future Vita or just download off PSN for my PS3. I guess I phrased my earlier post badly.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, even my lovely comp can emulate SNES or PS1 games. From what I know, those are indeed the two Golden Consoles for JRPGs. But I'm just trying to do one thing at a time. One series, one game, etc.. That way I can focus on DQ and get those out of the way. Then I can focus on...I dunno, the Suikoden series and get it out of the way. And so-on and so-forth. And if some of the games suck, if Suikoden IV is the abomination I've heard it is, so be it. That's part of the experience. I played SO3, I beat SO3, I fear no evil.

Since SNES emulation is on the table, check out the translated ports of DQ1-3 for that if you intend to play them; they're pretty much across the board improvements.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I'm talking about the PS Classics version of EP that I can either get on my future Vita or just download off PSN for my PS3. I guess I phrased my earlier post badly.

You can get Vita TV for under $50 (get at least 16gb card) and play P1, P2 both parts, P3P and P4G right now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

Since SNES emulation is on the table, check out the translated ports of DQ1-3 for that if you intend to play them; they're pretty much across the board improvements.

I was just gonna get the Gameboy Color versions that were officially released here. For me, emulation is when I have no other alternative.

Kinda sucks I'll have inferior graphics and sound quality but oh well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
NikkolasKing, how do you feel about SRPG's/tactics games? Because there are lot of really good ones you probably already have access to...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I didn't much care for the A-Arte tree thing in Graces just because there were useful things you might want to do but you couldn't because you had to do lead-ins first. It did make combos smoother but it'd have been nice if characters had a more expansive default moveset with some way to interrupt or preempt more elaborate moves and then with the free-weaving of regular artes like Xillia has.

Basically make every character Ludger or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

NikkolasKing, how do you feel about SRPG's/tactics games? Because there are lot of really good ones you probably already have access to...

I don't know how I feel about them as I have never played one in my entire life.

I've heard Final Fantasy Tactics is amazing but that's all I got.