Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Kenny Logins posted:

Well that explains a bit.

Personally, I hate the carriage returns for @-names, and that user icons are now half-sized on my install. Ugh. The future sucks.

Little reason to use the native Twitter client on iOS when things like Tweetbot and Twitterific exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

smr posted:

Little reason to use the native Twitter client on iOS when things like Tweetbot and Twitterific exist.
At one point I might have shrugged but yeah I should look into something different I think.

Any recommended that happen to be free or like $1-$2?

e: Never mind, I'll just give Twitterific a shot if it's free.

ee: Hey wait native Twitter is back to how I like it again. Yee.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 29, 2015

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

smr posted:

You say this, but I was a long time Tweetie user who switched to Tweetbot and now uses the official Twitter client and haven't looked back. The only thing that stinks is having to see ads.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Legs Benedict posted:

You say this, but I was a long time Tweetie user who switched to Tweetbot and now uses the official Twitter client and haven't looked back. The only thing that stinks is having to see ads.
Course the official client got based on Tweetie once they bought it so maybe that helped :v:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

japtor posted:

Course the official client got based on Tweetie once they bought it so maybe that helped :v:

p much none of loren's code is in there and that was years ago, so i doubt it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kenny Logins posted:

ee: Hey wait native Twitter is back to how I like it again. Yee.

Yay. Mine too, thankfully.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has anyone else been having some issues with Weather Underground lately? It used to make sense... Now, not so much?

Here is my app when I have it set to my location:

Here is what my location looks like when I go to pick it:

And here is my location on the nearest station:

So why would it ever tell me 94??

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Feenix posted:

Has anyone else been having some issues with Weather Underground lately? It used to make sense... Now, not so much?

Here is my app when I have it set to my location:

Here is what my location looks like when I go to pick it:

And here is my location on the nearest station:

So why would it ever tell me 94??

The first image you posted is kinda their wider-area summary that's based off certain locations that have a lot more detailed wx info, NOT the hyper-local version you get when you drill down through the map (3rd img) or see your list of saved and current locales (2nd img).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wattershed posted:

The first image you posted is kinda their wider-area summary that's based off certain locations that have a lot more detailed wx info, NOT the hyper-local version you get when you drill down through the map (3rd img) or see your list of saved and current locales (2nd img).

It's weird because it used to always reflect the hyper local. Also when I scrolled out nothing was even remotely close to 94 in the greater area.

Lame.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Legs Benedict posted:

I can't do without cross-device syncing and will always pay for ads to go away if that's an option so I stick with Tweetbot on the phone and OSX and Twitteriffic on the iPad (just until Tweetbot's long-promised new iPad version finally arrives).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smr posted:

I can't do without cross-device syncing and will always pay for ads to go away if that's an option so I stick with Tweetbot on the phone and OSX and Twitteriffic on the iPad (just until Tweetbot's long-promised new iPad version finally arrives).

Eh, the older version is not *terrible* on the iPad, it's just :cmon: and release a new version.

I'm not holding my breath since it took them forever to update the OS X version. And I laugh at the thought of a universal version for iOS, since that would mean they can't charge twice for it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

flosofl posted:

Eh, the older version is not *terrible* on the iPad, it's just :cmon: and release a new version.

I'm not holding my breath since it took them forever to update the OS X version. And I laugh at the thought of a universal version for iOS, since that would mean they can't charge twice for it.

I believe they've said Tweetbot 4 will be universal and be a free upgrade from 3.

Hopefully it's out just in time for iOS9

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I feel like Outlook mail app is getting worse and worse lately. It was great then the badge counts were (and almost alway are, still) wrong. Now I hear email sounds and nothing is on my lock screen and I just have to go into the app to see that something came in.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Feenix posted:

I feel like Outlook mail app is getting worse and worse lately. It was great then the badge counts were (and almost alway are, still) wrong. Now I hear email sounds and nothing is on my lock screen and I just have to go into the app to see that something came in.

And the keyboard randomly stops working making my replies insane.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Feenix posted:

It's weird because it used to always reflect the hyper local. Also when I scrolled out nothing was even remotely close to 94 in the greater area.

Lame.
Something may be screwed up in your config or stuck in a cache somewhere, because I can't find any sign of a PWS in the location that's showing 88° in your third screencap. The "Wedgwood" station (KWASEATT330) is a couple of blocks east of there. If you tap the "88°" station, what's the station ID?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Something may be screwed up in your config or stuck in a cache somewhere, because I can't find any sign of a PWS in the location that's showing 88° in your third screencap. The "Wedgwood" station (KWASEATT330) is a couple of blocks east of there. If you tap the "88°" station, what's the station ID?

MC3186

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

Outlook has always been good, but it does weird poo poo on occasion that makes me distrust it a bit. I just wish Apple and Google would work their poo poo out and employ Google's new push API so I could just use Mail.app or something.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Something's definitely hosed—that station reported a high of 88 on Wednesday. I'd uninstall/reinstall and if that doesn't fix it, report it as a bug.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Something's definitely hosed—that station reported a high of 88 on Wednesday. I'd uninstall/reinstall and if that doesn't fix it, report it as a bug.

Guess I'll bug report: just reinstalled... Still seeing this:

And my main screen claims 74.

You'd think no matter what whe you use the local-est station, it would use that nearest station's number. Those 74's and whatnot are not even remotely my neighborhood.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
After it was posted yesterday I opened my Weather Underground and the main page said it was 95. The projected high for the day was 84 and at that time the map showed 82-83 everywhere. Dark Sky said it was 82.

e: just checked and both dark sky and WU agree its 83. But his post made me look because I feel like I had seen the same thing. I really like the WU app and would hate to get rid of it but that needs to be fixed. I dont want to have to doubt it everytime I open it

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 31, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CancerStick posted:

After it was posted yesterday I opened my Weather Underground and the main page said it was 95. The projected high for the day was 84 and at that time the map showed 82-83 everywhere. Dark Sky said it was 82.

e: just checked and both dark sky and WU agree its 83. But his post made me look because I feel like I had seen the same thing. I really like the WU app and would hate to get rid of it but that needs to be fixed. I dont want to have to doubt it everytime I open it

Yep. Something is up with our Weather Wunderkind. :(

Hope it gets fixed. I'll be filing a report.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

flosofl posted:

Yeah, it's not terrible, but iOS9 fucks it up a bit (graphical glitches due to San Francisco screwing up some margins and padding, seen this in some other apps, too), it doesn't support inline quoting like the modern clients, doesn't support share sheets, and it just looks all kinds of out of place at this point.

The OSX update was so nice, I just want it for iPad now too.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Does anyone have recommendations for a contacts manager that will properly sync across multiple services? The default Contacts seems to be slow syncing, not import pictures, can't handle duplicates, etc. I tried Full Contact I believe and Humin. Was met with nothing but issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

its no big deal posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a contacts manager that will properly sync across multiple services? The default Contacts seems to be slow syncing, not import pictures, can't handle duplicates, etc. I tried Full Contact I believe and Humin. Was met with nothing but issues.

Use google sync (just a gmail.com account)?

I've used google to store my contacts for 5+ years now, and I don't think I have run into a major issue yet.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone know of the best and simplest app for setting a reminder for every 2 hours? Setting a bunch of alarms is becoming impractical.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Does anyone know of the best and simplest app for setting a reminder for every 2 hours? Setting a bunch of alarms is becoming impractical.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alarmed-reminders-+-timers/id371886784?mt=8

It has an in-app purchase for US$2.99 for "Extras Package" that includes this:

quote:

DayMinders (Extras Package) features repeating reminders throughout the day, such as start at 9:00, repeat every 45 minutes for 8 hours.

I downloaded the free version and it looks like Day Minders is *separate* from the a daily repeat. Do you can set a reminder to repeat at a certain day/week/month interval and DayMinder setting to give you additional repeating within each day. I didn't pay for the "Extras Package" to test since I don't really have a use for this.

Oh, and it hasn't been updated since Sept of 2013, so no iOS8 optimization and it looks all huge on the 6 and 6 plus.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm looking for an app or site that is a calendar that is not event based.

All the calendar apps and sites that I find are set up just like the default iphone calendar app or google calendar. They only seem to allow me to make an entry by setting up an event with start and end times and an alert range. What's worse is that some of these apps don't even show what has been entered on a given day until you click on that day.

I just want to make notations on a calendar and be able to see those notes at a glance from a whole month view. I don't even need an online or cloud component.

Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Copper Vein posted:

I'm looking for an app or site that is a calendar that is not event based.

All the calendar apps and sites that I find are set up just like the default iphone calendar app or google calendar. They only seem to allow me to make an entry by setting up an event with start and end times and an alert range. What's worse is that some of these apps don't even show what has been entered on a given day until you click on that day.

I just want to make notations on a calendar and be able to see those notes at a glance from a whole month view. I don't even need an online or cloud component.

Thanks.

Have you tried grabbing a PDF or JPEG of a calendar and annotating it in one of the many annotation apps (ie, skitch or goodreader)? Lots feature post-it style annotations and the like.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Does anybody know of an app that will let me amplify my voice over a bluetooth speaker?

I need to speak into the iPhone's headset and have my voice amplified over a bluetooth speaker. I've found a few apps, but they don't have the exact combo of input/output that I need. They only output to the iPhone's internal speaker or the headphone jack.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Squack McQuack posted:

Does anybody know of an app that will let me amplify my voice over a bluetooth speaker?

I need to speak into the iPhone's headset and have my voice amplified over a bluetooth speaker. I've found a few apps, but they don't have the exact combo of input/output that I need. They only output to the iPhone's internal speaker or the headphone jack.
Search for megaphone, there's a bunch. I've downloaded one before and it worked, but hell if I know which one, and it looks like there's a lot more now anyway.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

japtor posted:

Search for megaphone, there's a bunch. I've downloaded one before and it worked, but hell if I know which one, and it looks like there's a lot more now anyway.

Yeah, I tried Megaphone but it wasn't Bluetooth compatible - only wired speakers. This has been the case for every app I've found so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Squack McQuack posted:

Yeah, I tried Megaphone but it wasn't Bluetooth compatible - only wired speakers. This has been the case for every app I've found so far.

Here you go

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/intercom-airplay-bluetooth/id507383706?mt=8

EDIT: eh, maybe not. It looks like it's not a "megaphone" app so much as it is press-button, talk, release-button, app plays over destination speakers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Squack McQuack posted:

Huh weird, I thought I used one of those specifically for Bluetooth output before :iiam:. If I get a chance later (and remember) I'll test it out myself.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I haven't used the app store for ages and when trying to buy an IAP a few days ago i had to update my payment info before being able to buy. After updating the payment info i got a prompt asking if i still wanted to buy the IAP. I clicked yes, got the "purchase successful" notification and returned to my app, only to find i didn't receive the purchase. Now i have waited for 2 days and i still haven't received my purchase nor an email from Apple with the purchase confirmation. My bank statement doesn't mention the purchase either.
Does that mean there was a hiccup in their system and i didn't buy anything or simply that i need to wait longer? I would like to avoid buying the same IAP again only to later receive 2 of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

I haven't used the app store for ages and when trying to buy an IAP a few days ago i had to update my payment info before being able to buy. After updating the payment info i got a prompt asking if i still wanted to buy the IAP. I clicked yes, got the "purchase successful" notification and returned to my app, only to find i didn't receive the purchase. Now i have waited for 2 days and i still haven't received my purchase nor an email from Apple with the purchase confirmation. My bank statement doesn't mention the purchase either.
Does that mean there was a hiccup in their system and i didn't buy anything or simply that i need to wait longer? I would like to avoid buying the same IAP again only to later receive 2 of it.

Fire off a message to Apple Support using their web form.

Sometimes Apple will wait for small purchases so it can bundle them together with other purchases to submit to the payment processor. I usually see this for 1.99 and 0.99 purchases. Until it's submitted, you don't get a receipt nor is it reflected on your card. Apple support can tell you if it's in the pipe.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

Try using the "restore IAP" feature from within the app. I think all apps that offer IAP have to have a restore option.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks!

I caved and tried buying the IAP again and i got it instantly this time. Hopefully i won't get charged twice, especially considering its a 1 time unlock and not a consumable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oooooh, new Plex!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Outlook users: am I just misunderstanding what RSVP functionality should be doing when I accept? I go to my calendar tab in Outlook and nothing I accepted is there. Shouldn't this be basic functionality/obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So, does iBooks data get backed up to iCloud? Such as any PDF/ePub (not purchased but loaded via the browser's "open in ibooks" option)?

If not, how are annotations and such supposed to be backed up? I swear I have restored my data before with no issues when moving from one device to another .. or am I just nuts?