Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

semper wifi posted:

You know for a guy hyper-focused on forgiveness, love and kumbaya poo poo you seem to spend a suspiciously large amount of your posting time pontificating about how anyone who feels actions should have consequences is dumb and bad.

If you believe that someone deserves to suffer consequences as terrible as literally dying for doing dumb things, then yes - you are a bad person. Pretty much the only thing that I find unforgivable is people who, as their general mindset, believe that other people are worse than them and should suffer as a result. Though even then I would be completely willing to forgive someone for such a terrible attitude if they realized it was terrible and changed, and most importantly I don't think that they should be punished for it (beyond other people shunning them or whatever). Thinking someone is a bad person (in a way that isn't actively committing a dangerous crime) and thinking that someone should suffer dire consequences for it are completely different things.

The part that you seem to have trouble understanding is that there is a huge difference between "actions do have consequences" and "actions should have consequences." You are mixing up "doing X is likely to result in Y" with "doing X should result in Y."* You also seem to fail to understand that the consequences of a bunch of these actions are not some immutable fact of reality. It is not some law of nature that police have to kill or beat the poo poo out of people who are rude to them (or even do some minor physical action like kicking them in the shin or whatever). The police should be held to a higher standard than wild animals. And there are plenty of other professions where people are treated poorly and do not respond in kind (trauma medical personnel are the most obvious option; not only are they often treated terribly and even with violence, but they also have great power over their patients). Actually, I think police might be the only profession where there's this assumption that you'll have "your day ruined" if you treat them badly. That says something bad about no one but the police themselves.

No one in this thread (or at least very few people) are actually arguing that it is prudent to do the sort of things that are causing people to be shot/whatever. They are only arguing that the things these people did should (again, the key word) not result in the punishments they received. I feel like you and a couple other posters in this thread are arguing against some strawman that thinks it's a good idea to mouth off to police or whatever, but no one is actually saying that.

This really shouldn't be complex. If you ask yourself "would it be okay for what this person did to be punishable by _____ in a court of law" and the answer is "no", then it is wrong and shouldn't happen.

*I think this is called the is-ought fallacy or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The family of Sam Dubose is viewing the body cam footage right now, so we will likely know what happened before day's end.

Some information that has leaked says he was shot in the back of the head and the rumblings behind the scenes are that Cincinnati is about to become (Ferguson x Baltimore)ˆ2

edit: UofC Campus Police are going door to door alerting Summer session students to evacuate the campus in advance of potential riots.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

But Cincinnati’s police chief said he had seen the video, and he said “the video is not good.”

“It’s not a good situation, I think that’s clear, and it will become evident once that video is shown,” said Chief Jeffrey Blackwell, of Cincinnati police. “We’re just trying to do our best to be prepared for whatever might come out of it.”

The city manager said he had not seen the video, but he told WLWT-TV that the contents had been described to him.

“It was not a good situation,” said City Manager Harry Black. “Someone has died that didn’t necessarily have to die, and I will leave it at that.”

LINK

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
The video of the University of Cincinnati shooting will be released today, instead of tomorrow. I'm not sure why they changed their minds but there's a press conference at 1:00 PM. I'm assuming that's Eastern time, so we'll hear what they have to say in about half an hour.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/colleges/uc-news/hamilton-county-prosecutors-office-to-release-body-cam-footage-of-uc-shooting-thursday

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

The family of Sam Dubose is viewing the body cam footage right now, so we will likely know what happened before day's end.

Some information that has leaked says he was shot in the back of the head and the rumblings behind the scenes are that Cincinnati is about to become (Ferguson x Baltimore)ˆ2

edit: UofC Campus Police are going door to door alerting Summer session students to evacuate the campus in advance of potential riots.

Not to get all TVIV on you but where are you reading this?

For content the comparison of police behavior to medical professionals was about the worst one semper wifi could have possibly chosen. Anyone with any exposure to high acuity patients is going to understand that they come in an incredible array of flavors and they need to be treated with the appropriate standard of care regardless. Nobody is going to cover for you if your patient tachs out and you didn't give them their medication because they were belligerent of even physically violent, let alone that they hurt your feelings.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quote:

A CNN records search showed that Dubose had more than 60 arrests. He was a father to 13 children, according to CNN affiliate WKRC-TV.

CNN just casually slips this into the middle of their article so get ready for another scintillating round of He Was No Angel

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

TehSaurus posted:

Not to get all TVIV on you but where are you reading this?

For content the comparison of police behavior to medical professionals was about the worst one semper wifi could have possibly chosen. Anyone with any exposure to high acuity patients is going to understand that they come in an incredible array of flavors and they need to be treated with the appropriate standard of care regardless. Nobody is going to cover for you if your patient tachs out and you didn't give them their medication because they were belligerent of even physically violent, let alone that they hurt your feelings.

Some UofC students on Twitter and the local fox affiliate reporters are posting updates on their Twitters as well.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Assuming Tensing is indicted today, I think the responsible authorities deserve some kudos. 10 days from on-duty killing to indictment is really, really fast

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Licensed medical professionals also face ethics investigations and licensure inquiries over domestic violence and substance abuse issues, something that this thread has repeatedly shown as not happening for cops. Additionally they have to carry liability insurance and losing your insurance coverage is pretty much career ending.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Some good news, I guess.

quote:

And on Tuesday, the court of appeals reversed a lower court’s ruling and said Davis could go ahead with his excessive force suit.

His lawyer, Schottel, reported in the afternoon that his client Davis had not yet heard the good news.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
As a (well now former) defense attorneys, one of my guilty pleasures is to watch cops and the like and yell at the screen about everytjong being done wrong (a lot). Yes, I'm broken. In any event, these university cops were on one of these shows a lot and they seemed extraordinarly unprofessional and quick to escalate an issue into UoF and arrest. (Which is normally uncommon on cop shows as the "stars" generally try to be good between coerced searches and confessions.)
I've been try to figure out if this cop was on one of these shows all morning.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

“As unreasonable as it may sound, a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp lacerations and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution,”

Are you loving kidding me?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
heh :hf:

quote:

“As unreasonable as it may sound, a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp lacerations and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution,” the district court ruled in tossing out the case.

That sounds like an onion article.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

As a (well now former) defense attorneys, one of my guilty pleasures is to watch cops and the like and yell at the screen about everytjong being done wrong (a lot). Yes, I'm broken. In any event, these university cops were on one of these shows a lot and they seemed extraordinarly unprofessional and quick to escalate an issue into UoF and arrest. (Which is normally uncommon on cop shows as the "stars" generally try to be good between coerced searches and confessions.)
I've been try to figure out if this cop was on one of these shows all morning.

yeah, it's pretty funny spotting unconstitutional searches on Cops

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.wcpo.com/live

Cleveland press conference starting in ~5

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm glad no one died in this one, jeez:

quote:

SPARTA, NJ – Three young adults were arrested in the early hours of Saturday morning after mistakenly knocking on the door of a New Jersey State Trooper and fleeing the scene.

Early Saturday morning Sparta Police and the New Jersey State Police were involved in a search for one of the men in the area of West Mountain Road. According to people close to the investigation, three young adults, after leaving a graduation party, attempted to go to a friend’s house nearby.

A source said, they mistakenly went to the next door neighbor’s home. After repeatedly ringing the doorbell and loudly knocking on the door, the homeowner, a state trooper, came to the door. When he opened the door and shouted at them, the three men ran away.

The three got into a vehicle and the officer fired three gun shots as they attempted to flee. The car became disabled approximately one half mile from the original scene. Two of the men were apprehended at the vehicle. The third, Matthew Mayer fled, according to local sources.

A neighbor said she was awoken to the “pop, pop, pop” of the gunshots.

A large search began, according to residents of several of the West Mountain Road neighborhoods. The state police dispatched a helicopter “which searched with a bright spotlight,” according to an area resident. Search teams combed the area on foot, with canine units and in patrol vehicles. One homeowner said their home and property were searched, another said the police officers came to their home and questioned them about Mayer. It is not clear if there were any other homes searched in relation to this investigation.

The two men, John Baker-Marasco, and Jesse Farcorn, were taken to the Netcong Trooper Barracks for questioning and processing.

Mayer was eventually found and arrested. He was also taken to the Netcong Trooper Barracks. It is not clear what charges, if any, have been brought against these men.

The Sparta police said the state police are conducting the investigation. Officer Kelly at the Netcong Trooper Barracks said information about the investigation would have to be obtained “from Trenton.” Detective Doug Porter of the Sussex County Prosecutor’s Office said he was not on the scene and since the state police were heading up the investigation, “our office would defer to the State Police” in making a statement.

The Media Relations officer Trooper Spies initially said Sparta was handling the investigation. She then said information had to be obtained from the Attorney General’s Office. The State Police Media Relations office said they cannot comment on possible charges made against the three men since the attorney general’s office is conducting the investigation.

The Press Office of the attorney general’s office had not responded to inquiries by the time of publication.

The Sussex County Sheriff’s office had also not responded in time for publication.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/sparta/sections/police-and-fire/articles/in-dark-of-night-off-duty-trooper-fires-at-unar

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

nm posted:

“As unreasonable as it may sound, a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp lacerations and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution,”

Are you loving kidding me?
This country is so loving broken it's unreal.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Now this is just the presser that's going to say "yes we are charging mr. x with murder" and we'll see the actual video probably much later today, right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is unbelievable. The dude was willing to kill for a mistaken address. That cop should be the one in jail.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fleeing from an officer attempting to murder you, 5 years iso-cubes.

e;

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What possible charges could they make up for something like that?

read above.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
What possible charges could they make up for something like that?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Radish posted:

This is unbelievable. The dude was willing to kill for a mistaken address. That cop should be the one in jail.

This is America, he's legally allowed to kill anyone as long as he feels threatened, the law is clear.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

What the gently caress? What's the process to start a loving manhunt? "Oh hey sarge, some kids knocked on my door so I chased them with my gun and started shooting at them, I got them to crash but one got away. Can we bring the helicopter out for this one?" "Sounds good, I'll grab the dogs, too!"

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Wait, so they knocked on the wrong door, it happened to be a cop. He yelled at them, they fled, and then he shot at them as they were fleeing? Did I read that right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, wait. They're talking about whether or not to charge the guys who didn't shoot the gun, not the moron who popped off 3 rounds without cause? Lets be clear, in any competent jurisdiction, warning shots are just not allowed (except in prison) because they are a use of dealy force (in a nieghborhood a stray could easily hit a bystander) but as they are not targeted at a party, imply no actual fear. This is a firing offense in even the worst police departments because of how stupid and unjustifiable it is.
Jesus gently caress people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hahaha and they're going to try and charge people who knocked on the wrong door with a crime, just to justify the troooper trying to kill them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Now this is just the presser that's going to say "yes we are charging mr. x with murder" and we'll see the actual video probably much later today, right?

he's indicted

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Hahaha and they're going to try and charge people who knocked on the wrong door with a crime, just to justify the troooper trying to kill them.

The System works.

I know it's gauche to say it, but incidents like this are why I find it irritating when people go on about how treating cops differently is so unconstitutional and thus inherently terrible. Three kids are potentially going to have their lives ruined by the justice system because they made the unfortunate mistake of accidentally pissing off a cop who then tried to murder them. Even if it all works out in the end which isn't a guarantee that's absolutely terrifying and will certainly damage their futures. Police and regular people are already treated so incredibly different that saying that we are all under the same rules is totally untrue.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 29, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Raerlynn posted:

Wait, so they knocked on the wrong door, it happened to be a cop. He yelled at them, they fled, and then he shot at them as they were fleeing? Did I read that right?

They were no angels.

quote:

repeatedly ringing the doorbell and loudly knocking on the door

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Uhhh are you getting some cooking show audio over top of the press conference?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

They're no angels.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah I'm hearing a cooking show right now

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
^^^^^
It just got fixed

nm
Jan 28, 2008

For?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
twitter:
'I've being this over 30 years. This is the most asinine act I've ever seen' Joe Deters.
Deter's says shooting of #SamDubose was purposeful.
Deters: He should have never been a police officer. @WCPO #SamDubose

Uhhh are you getting some cooking show audio over top of the press conference?

yes, so twitter.com/wcpo (they just fixed it)

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.fox19.com/story/29656580/charges-grand-jury-can-consider

Had to change streaming sites to get away from Carla cooking on the Chew.

edit: Missed the first couple minutes. The prosecutor is really ripping the officer a new one. although "This doesn't happen in america" is pretty funny.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRQ4G7fXuo

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rollofthedice posted:

^^^^^
It just got fixed

Yeah I thought I was going nuts, checked all my browsers, but only Opera and Chrome have that "here's the tab that's playing an annoying sound!" icon.

This press conference is amazing. This man is very open about how this was a completely senseless killing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
'#SamDubose didn't follow simple, nonviolent commands. He was subdued. I mean it was so unnecessary for this to occur' -- Deters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

twitter:
'I've being this over 30 years. This is the most asinine act I've ever seen' Joe Deters.
Deter's says shooting of #SamDubose was purposeful.
Deters: He should have never been a police officer. @WCPO #SamDubose

yes, so twitter.com/wcpo (they just fixed it)

I was confused at first and though the "purposeful" statement contradicted the others he made; I suppose, rather, he's implying that "purposeful" doesn't mean "lawful" and was done with ill-intent.

• Locked thread