Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's slightly a thing IMO - she had a really important high-ranking sensitive government position and she breached protocol, potentially putting security and confidentiality at risk, and although it's standard to have off-the-record communications in foreign relations, she probably didn't choose the best way to do it if that was her reasoning

But it's not the slam dunk, huge loving deal, what-is-she-hiding-anyway that they want it to be. What she's "hiding" is probably just a bunch of semi-sensitive diplomatic stuff that might piss off allies, but they're all dreaming that she wrote emails about how she killed Vince Foster in Chappaquiddick Park after insider-trading pork belly futures from her bridgegate phone in the watergate hotel after ordering the execution of Benjamin Ghazi, or whatever the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Post 9-11 User posted:

Audio tape or not, what Rall described is plausible and he didn't make claims that can be certified as libel or grounds for firing him (why not fire him for his dozens and dozens of lovely cartoons?). Saying that Planned Parenthood is slaughtering babies to sell their organs for profit is libel until some information comes out to support that claim. The only bulletproof defense against libel is facts and, at this point, there is not a single shred of evidence to substantiate the claims. Numerous cartoonists have published cartoons that may cross over from parody/satire into libel.

The People Vs Jerry Flint established a very broad definition of parody but that was a case involving a cartoon about a person. Planned Parenthood- charitable or not- is a business in a sense and printing absolute lies about it is damaging and, in theory, against the law.

If you were a newspaper that wanted to be seen as credible, would you want a known liar working for you?

Honestly I don't care enough about this to argue. I'm just happy that maybe I'll be seeing less of his lovely art and opinions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ThePeavstenator posted:

With Pollard's release, Dry Bones purpose is fulfilled and ascends into the aether.

But with the impending Iran deal, he'll be summoned from the lifestream to be brought back to life. But his cartoons will be even more incomprehensible because he'll be completely blind now.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Payne finds a topic that's actually to do with cars and somehow draws a cartoon that doesn't have a car in it, i don't know how to deal with this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Angepain posted:

Payne finds a topic that's actually to do with cars and somehow draws a cartoon that doesn't have a car in it, i don't know how to deal with this

That B.C. caveman is not even using his B.C. wheel for transportation, he's just kind of rolling it around

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Why yes, it actually is frustrating that Uber is entirely unregulated due to bullshit claims of not being a taxi service and therefore is really lovely about disabled people!

The entire city doesn't give a poo poo about people in wheelchairs, I see next to no ramps but lots and lots of stairs. Hell, being capable of walking up steep inclines and not falling off steep slopes that have no railings straight into traffic is a requirement, the city is a mess.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sir Tonk posted:

These guys sure are convinced the email thing is a big deal.

It's all based on that bullshit article in the Times which they had to walk back piece by piece, the cartoonists will drop it by next week.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ugh please do not start another uber derail.

Uber sucks. Taxis also suck. Get over it.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

The Iran deal will fundamentally change the building blocks of the universe.
So lazy and goddamn meaningless.

So whats the news on Brady, is he dropped from Sportball or something?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Post 9-11 User posted:

Ted Rall may be poo poo but this cartoon is completely inoffensive. That the white guy empathizes with the other guy is a lot better than what he'd say in a Youtube comment section about how it's totally legal for cops to racially profile and murder innocent citizens.

The problem with Rall is it's hard to find his enlightened egoism credible after years of just ego.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Internet Webguy posted:

The Iran deal will fundamentally change the building blocks of the universe.

So, which of the moon and star is the protons, and which the neutrons?
A slightly more scientifically accurate cartoon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Where were you when protons and neutrons converted to Islam?

And what of electrons, the only Christian particle left in this world?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Shadowed Bacon posted:

He's gearing up for a lawsuit against the NFL because he wasn't man enough to admit his little hands can't throw a fully inflated ball.

:munch:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The easing of sanctions will eventually open massive markets as Iranians gain access to American products.

A "Holy poo poo, This Will Be A Huge Win For Your Side, What The Hell Is Wrong With You" Cartoon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shadowed Bacon posted:

He appealed to the commissioner to reduce his sentence from its initial value of four games and the commissioner (who was the one who made the initial decision, making the word "appeal" sort of meaningless in this context anyway) just went "lol no"

for context, a few weeks (?) ago the same guy cut a different guy's suspension to four games for beating his wife, which has therefore been found to be exactly as bad as maybe knowing something about some balls maybe having the wrong inflation levels maybe

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

You'd think but for some unknown reason Pats fans are circling the wagons around their cheating player and cheating team. If anything they may be even more popular now.

seiferguy posted:

But with the impending Iran deal, he'll be summoned from the lifestream to be brought back to life. But his cartoons will be even more incomprehensible because he'll be completely blind now.

Freaking Final Fantasy spoilers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

loquacius posted:

He appealed to the commissioner to reduce his sentence from its initial value of four games and the commissioner (who was the one who made the initial decision, making the word "appeal" sort of meaningless in this context anyway) just went "lol no"

for context, a few weeks (?) ago the same guy cut a different guy's suspension to four games for beating his wife, which has therefore been found to be exactly as bad as maybe knowing something about some balls maybe having the wrong inflation levels maybe

:patssay:

Tom Brady cheated. His story about throwing away his phone is dubious. While yes, what Greg Hardy did in the grand scheme of life is worse, cheating at your job gets you punished. This kind of defense is like trying to defend someone who lied on his timecard at work and got caught for it.

Stantis' cartoon is wrong though. Brady's popularity will remain the same in New England. Really, the only thing that comes out of this is when someone asks "Is Tom Brady the best quarterback?" The answer becomes "Yes, but..." and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Anyway, I'll stop this topic since I know this thread isn't a big fan of sports derails.

Xenoveritas posted:

Freaking Final Fantasy spoilers.

If someone reads my post and figures out the spoiler based on that, I would be incredibly impressed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Anyway, I'll stop this topic since I know this thread isn't a big fan of sports derails.

We disagree on the meaning of the word "caught" but we definitely agree on this point therefore this post is all I'll say on the matter that isn't a direct answer to someone's question :)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Daily Cartoonist reported Rall's firing. Already there's a comment from Stephanie McMillan, defending Rall, saying that the audio tape is "useless".

Also, the reason the site blocked Rall was because he kept getting into fights with Scott Kurtz in the comments section. The site owner got fed up with the bullshit, so he ended up blocking both of them.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

there wolf posted:

The problem with Rall is it's hard to find his enlightened egoism credible after years of just ego.

You're likely right that he has some awful reasoning or ulterior motive behind the comic but I try to look at the specific comic on its merits. Broken clock, Gorrel occasionally making something good, Lee Judge occasionally publishing something willfully dense. etc.

I miss the Double Take feature on NPR, it both hosted a diverse range of authors and provided subtext for each cartoon. I have no idea what's going on with most Jerm cartoons:

Lee Judge cartoons are colossal in size so I use the "large thumbnail" format, if these are breaking tables for mobile users or something just let me know.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

#feelthebern

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Beets are amazing. An overly optimistic about Hillary cartoon.

Spinach is legit too, both as sandwich/salad filler and all Southern'd up as a side dish.

It just gets a bad rap 'cause it's green, not unlike the delicious but occasionally maligned avocado.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wildeyes posted:

Spinach is legit too, both as sandwich/salad filler and all Southern'd up as a side dish.

It just gets a bad rap 'cause it's green, not unlike the delicious but occasionally maligned avocado.

I think a lot of its bad rap comes from people primarily familiar with the canned stuff, which is beyond awful. But the fresh leafy kind is the best, better than lettuce on sandwiches.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Beeg posted:

Also, the reason the site blocked Rall was because he kept getting into fights with Scott Kurtz in the comments section. The site owner got fed up with the bullshit, so he ended up blocking both of them.

That is both hilarious and not surprising at all. They deserve each other.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah Rall and Kurtz got into some ridiculous slapfights years ago. I think at some point they met at a con and buried the hatchet to some extent.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Mister Beeg posted:

The Daily Cartoonist reported Rall's firing. Already there's a comment from Stephanie McMillan, defending Rall, saying that the audio tape is "useless".

Mike Lester agreeing with Stephanie McMillan?! What the hell's going on here?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah Rall and Kurtz got into some ridiculous slapfights years ago. I think at some point they met at a con and buried the hatchet to some extent.
The big question is, who or what walked out of the con and did something else take their places?

(I originally read your post as saying "cornfield" and it brought a much more sinister image to mind)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

beepsandboops posted:

Cartoonists totally realize that they're a (probably rightfully) dying breed and as such have an absolute hivemind when it comes to defending each other from getting fired.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

It's my impression that most political cartoonists are pretty chummy with one another, even those with vastly different political outlooks. Rall got along well with Chuck Asay, Pat Bagley is friends with Ramirez and Lester, etc. I remember that Daily Cartoonist guy posted about Mike Lester getting arrested as well and a bunch of the cartoonists there were coming to his defence. So it's not all that surprising.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Cartoonists totally realize that they're a (probably rightfully) dying breed and as such have an absolute hivemind when it comes to defending each other from getting fired.

Note that it's not unusual for cartoonists to criticize/trash others' works when they're together. I've seen that many, many, many times first hand, and I've even done it myself.

They generally tone it down in public, although even then occasional slams show up for all to see (Matt Bors infamously, and Stephan Pastis sometimes does it in his own strip)

But yeah, even with all that, cartoonists tend to get along with each-other, regardless of what they think about their work.

colonel_korn posted:

It's my impression that most political cartoonists are pretty chummy with one another, even those with vastly different political outlooks. Rall got along well with Chuck Asay, Pat Bagley is friends with Ramirez and Lester, etc. I remember that Daily Cartoonist guy posted about Mike Lester getting arrested as well and a bunch of the cartoonists there were coming to his defence. So it's not all that surprising.

This, I admit, disgusted me a bit. I remember that Stephanie McMillan was one of the few who didn't defend Lester, saying "how come nobody cares if the wife's doing okay?".

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 29, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only exception that comes to mind is that Bors really hates Ramirez, and when Bors draws a hack cartoonist he frequently shows a guy that looks like Ramirez.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Rorus Raz posted:

The only exception that comes to mind is that Bors really hates Ramirez, and when Bors draws a hack cartoonist he frequently shows a guy that looks like Ramirez.

One of the (right wing) cartoonists I talked to really didn't like Ramirez, explicitly telling me that he draws these cartoons on purpose because right-wing publications pay big money for reprint rights. He says Ramirez knows his talking points are bullshit, but he doesn't care because he made it a profitable business for himself.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Post 9-11 User posted:

You're likely right that he has some awful reasoning or ulterior motive behind the comic but I try to look at the specific comic on its merits. Broken clock, Gorrel occasionally making something good, Lee Judge occasionally publishing something willfully dense. etc.

I don't think he necessarily has awful reasoning and I don't think there's an ulterior motive at all. I can accept at face value that Rall is saying 1. a violent police state is bad for everyone, and 2. that should make white people believe in and be empathetic to the threat black people experience. But that message is harder to accept from a man who has made a career out of castigating people and causes that don't live up to his standard of ideological purity.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

The only other time I remember is when Bennett and Wuerker ripped Gary McCoy on Facebook after he posted about how it would be cool if Obama were gunned down like Trayvon Martin. It got pretty personal. Dunno if they patched it up later.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

1"Buh buh what about Africa's problems with homophobia?" asked noted friend to gays, A.F. Branco.

If that's what Branco is going for, Obama actually did call out African countries on their record on gay rights during a press conference there. So Branco has already shat his pants.

But the message here is all over the place. Is Obama big and dumb and stupid for wanting to give him the US flag to burn? Should we agree with Big Scary African Leader for burning the gay flag? Is this just a bunch of "they all suck"?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

One of the (right wing) cartoonists I talked to really didn't like Ramirez, explicitly telling me that he draws these cartoons on purpose because right-wing publications pay big money for reprint rights. He says Ramirez knows his talking points are bullshit, but he doesn't care because he made it a profitable business for himself.
This is interesting because I think most of this thread would say that Ramirez is one of the True Believers.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rorus Raz posted:

This is interesting because I think most of this thread would say that Ramirez is one of the True Believers.

There was a video interview posted here a while ago that gave that impression. It's probably just a case of Republican infighting about insufficient ideological purity.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

colonel_korn posted:

The only other time I remember is when Bennett and Wuerker ripped Gary McCoy on Facebook after he posted about how it would be cool if Obama were gunned down like Trayvon Martin. It got pretty personal. Dunno if they patched it up later.

Was that when Gary dropped the "there's nary a racist bone in my body" quote and then went to spout a bunch of racist things? That was uncomfortable.

Rorus Raz posted:

I remember there was an interview with Ramirez posted where he, the person, backed up everything he said which made people believe he was for real. He could just be a good businessman (he's surrounded by them at IBD heh heh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rorus Raz posted:

there's literally nothing more free market then that, so i think it counts

• Locked thread