Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceDrake posted:

And the EWJ runner chokes on a worm. Yowch.

(granted I remember hearing even before now that the bungie stuff is amazingly obnoxious)

I could totally feel the annoyance, getting snot guy against the wall (while not trapping you in between) in round 3 is an absolute pain.

mulodyne posted:

earthworm jim was a weird game.

Yep :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Wow Major Mucus wanted to be a rear end today.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I loved EWJ as a kid but I don't remember any of this poo poo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

raditts posted:

Tell me more about this guy, I love nerd drama.

There's not much drama, he's just really loud and obnoxious and tries hard to be funny but he isn't and just makes things awkward. He got kicked out last event because he tried to do a bit where he threw his mic on the floor after his run and he broke it. Just search for Naegleria on YouTube and watch him run or commentate stuff if you want.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I always wanted to play EWJ when I was a kid but when my folks finally got it for me it was for PC and it was not a good game to play with a keyboard.

I haven't been on since Ori ended last night. Have I missed any good drama?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Naegleria probably doesn't show up because he's still in Europe, having shown up at ESA and all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jibo posted:

I always wanted to play EWJ when I was a kid but when my folks finally got it for me it was for PC and it was not a good game to play with a keyboard.

lol if you didn't play PC games in the 90s with a Gravis Gamepad.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

raditts posted:

lol if you didn't play PC games in the 90s with a Gravis Gamepad.

I think my parents didn't really want to acknowledge the computer as a video game device for fear of me wanting to use it all the time so I never got a game pad. I did get a pretty basic joystick though so I could play poo poo like Descent and Terminal Velocity and Magic Carpet. Those were good.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Now if only they were doing EWJ2, the game with the best ending ever, after this.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

John Quixote posted:

Now if only they were doing EWJ2, the game with the best ending ever, after this.

I had to look this up, I forgot what it was

My parents probably saw me playing these games and just had no idea wtf I was into

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

John Quixote posted:

Let me guess, it has a Cow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And now the runs I've been waiting for. Ecco 2 and Gunstar Heroes.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:worship: YSG :worship:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Jarogue posted:

Let me guess, it has a Cow.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

"skythe"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Easy mode, run ruined :v:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

What the hell is this game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jarogue posted:

Amazing

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Everyone wins with this arrangement, we get Ecco and BlueGlass but no chokes (so far)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jarogue posted:

Complete and utter bullshit.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I like this guy, he does good commentary while playing.

And yes, this game is utter bullshit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All this speed and precise movement but it only reads input every 8 frames.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Trying to watch this run is making me dizzy. The camera is so awful. :barf:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jia posted:

"skythe"

love your avatar

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

Trying to watch this run is making me dizzy. The camera is so awful. :barf:

These games are pretty legendarily hard, and in a lovely way.

But they were really weirdly atmospheric, and the bizarro poo poo lodged them in quite a few impressionable minds.

I think they're pretty garbage games, but I usually enjoy watching them speedrun. Some great music too.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Is it fair to hold it against games like Sonic, EWJ, or Ecco for making you roam around big 3d areas with a tiny viewport that can only see stuff 15 feet away?

I seriously think Sonic 1-3 are Bad Games because: why would you have players run at high speed at poo poo they can't see? It's nauseating. Obviously they didn't have the tech to show you what was in front of you but god drat. Mario at least kept poo poo slower and on a flat plane, mostly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"I hosed up <thing>, oh well, that's ok" is a hell of a lot more endearing than "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I MISSED TWO FRAMEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS"

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

victrix posted:

"I hosed up <thing>, oh well, that's ok" is a hell of a lot more endearing than "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I MISSED TWO FRAMEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS"

Yeah, this guy is nicely chill. Which I guess is what it takes to be good at Ecco, because I personally would've ragequit long ago. :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Is something wrong with BlueGlass's mic or something? I thought I saw him talking all the time, but I can't hear poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Is something wrong with BlueGlass's mic or something? I thought I saw him talking all the time, but I can't hear poo poo.

For once the mute happy sound guys pays off.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

bef posted:

love your avatar

Th .. thanks?

androo posted:

Is it fair to hold it against games like Sonic, EWJ, or Ecco for making you roam around big 3d areas with a tiny viewport that can only see stuff 15 feet away?

I seriously think Sonic 1-3 are Bad Games because: why would you have players run at high speed at poo poo they can't see? It's nauseating. Obviously they didn't have the tech to show you what was in front of you but god drat. Mario at least kept poo poo slower and on a flat plane, mostly.

Ecco, sure, but the Sonic games didn't really have that issue if you had any measure of reaction time; the level design wasn't super punishing in that way, unlike a lot of the dumb Sonic fangames people put out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

For once the mute happy sound guys pays off.
Mods????

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ahahaha Blueglass didn't know he was mike'd.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Haha, he didn't think he was miced up so he wasn't saying anything. :v:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

androo posted:

You can see poo poo in Sonic after playing at least one game but Ecco seems to have a too fast and control problem.

Also how many damm balls does Ecco needs.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 29, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

God drat, they finally noticed (if it wasn't intentional in the first place). It wouldn't be an Ecco run without BlueGlass being BlueGlass.

EDIT:

The Kins posted:

Haha, he didn't think he was miced up so he wasn't saying anything. :v:

Odd, I could have sworn I saw him saying things multiple times. It bugged me that he wasn't saying anything because that seemed so unlike him, so I was staring at the couch cam the entire time.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's weird watching an Ecco run without Yolo Swag God loving it up horribly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Ecco games are notoriously hard. Sega actually insisted on making a bunch of things easier in the Japanese version. This interview for the 3D Classics re-release talks about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
these giger-rear end aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Half minute hero and Birth By sleep make me miss my psp.

Especially birth by sleep.

Man that game was good.

• Locked thread