Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BoyBlunder posted:

I would wait to see camera results in low-light.

There were quite a few from that link I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Man this Lollipop update for my AT&T 2013 Moto X is just complete poo poo. Let me list the ways:

• Once or twice a week it just acts like it spontaneously shut off, but it requires pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds to get it to power back on.
  • After doing the above it optimizes apps. This is particularly terrible because I can't use my phone for 15 minutes while its doing that.
  • Clicking a hotlinked phone number, clicking a contact, initiating a call from Hangouts all take 1-10 seconds for anything to happen.
  • It's not uncommon for phone calls and media to stutter severely like the CPU is under intense load.
  • Other stuff that I can't think of right now.

I mean Lollipop itself is good, but whatever is wrong with this update is just horrible and it makes me want to complain to AT&T, but I'm guessing AT&T won't do anything for me.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Tunga posted:

Crosspost from one of the bike threads in case someone here has an idea:

Is there a recommended way to mount my phone to my bike for GPS and similar? I want turn-by-turn navigation but I won't use it often enough to make it worth buying a ~£150 GPS unit. I have a Whyte Whitehall (flat bar) and my phone is a Nexus 5. Ideally something I can grab from Amazon UK.

Sorry if this has been answered or resolved already since I'm behind in my forum reading, but I'd like to recommend a mount from Velocity Clip. I have one (from eBay) for my Note 3 on my road bike and love it. I found the Amazon.uk product line:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/?ie=UTF8&k=Velocity+Clip

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Man this Lollipop update for my AT&T 2013 Moto X is just complete poo poo. Let me list the ways:

• Once or twice a week it just acts like it spontaneously shut off, but it requires pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds to get it to power back on.
  • After doing the above it optimizes apps. This is particularly terrible because I can't use my phone for 15 minutes while its doing that.
  • Clicking a hotlinked phone number, clicking a contact, initiating a call from Hangouts all take 1-10 seconds for anything to happen.
  • It's not uncommon for phone calls and media to stutter severely like the CPU is under intense load.

I mean Lollipop itself is good, but whatever is wrong with this update is just horrible and it makes me want to complain to AT&T, but I'm guessing AT&T won't do anything for me.

Same thing with my developer edition. It's terrible.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I guess its a blessing Verizon is holding it back

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't use Qi at all, but I am curious if there are any #s that show usage and adoption rates. I would assume Motorola doesn't have it because not that many people use it, but #s would prove or disprove my hypothesis. I know people in this thread use it, but I am genuinely curious how many non tech savvy people actually use it or care.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Captain Yossarian posted:

I don't use Qi at all, but I am curious if there are any #s that show usage and adoption rates. I would assume Motorola doesn't have it because not that many people use it, but #s would prove or disprove my hypothesis. I know people in this thread use it, but I am genuinely curious how many non tech savvy people actually use it or care.

It's probably much more costly to integrate Qi with the replaceable backs. Suddenly it's not just a 10c item you swap out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I find quick charging much more useful than wireless charging. But I had to send 2 flagship phones - an HTC M7 and a Galaxy S3 - to the graveyard because their micro USB ports went bad and I couldn't charge them anymore. So from now on I'll be buying value phones like the Moto G or flagships with wireless charging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Qualcomm just showed off an update to their wireless charging standard that allows metal backs, doesn't care about alignment, and does quick charge.

I have a feeling they are going to withhold quick charge from competing standards to try to push their own.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

There were quite a few from that link I posted.

Yeah and they weren't very good.

The Note 4 had some amazing low light shots when it first came out, people are saying this camera's comparable to that? I'm not seeing it

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

My biggest issue with Motorola cameras are the shutter speed.

My turbo takes fantastic photos in good lighting and of still shots. If you're trying to take a picture in low lighting or of anything that's moving even slightly, forget about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

I find quick charging much more useful than wireless charging. But I had to send 2 flagship phones - an HTC M7 and a Galaxy S3 - to the graveyard because their micro USB ports went bad and I couldn't charge them anymore. So from now on I'll be buying value phones like the Moto G or flagships with wireless charging.

You probably find quick charge to be more useful because you don't have a Tylt on your desk at work, on the nightstand, in the car, and on the coffee table where it turns out no matter where your phone is, it's being charged. I get panicky when my phone gets run down low (by "low" I mean below 93% when the top part of the battery disappears :ohdear: ).

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol, that's insane. You guys know the world doesn't end when your phone battery is empty right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

People should be more like me.

I have never run a phone to dangerously low battery levels in a situation where wireless charging would have helped.

Which means I'm not making any compromises if I get a new X!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If you read about battery longevity you should hardly ever charge it 100% or run it to 0% anyway.

Especially if you can't replace the battery.

I haven't read much but I can't wait for newer semi-non disposable batteries. (Sulfur was it?)

Quick or turbo charge is crazy fast anyway, at least to get it to that sweet spot where you aren't nuking your battery cells.

Wireless nightstand charging seems like a lazy sloppy habit to me.

My buddy keeps his at 100% constantly but a replacement battery is under $9

My HTC one m8 battery practically unreplacable.

Edit: Also you people that keep batteries/spares in hot environments and pockets are destroying them too. May as well put them in a min temp oven.

Just food for thought, I will admit it is more convinient your way(s) though.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 29, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I guess this stuff is why AT&T halted the OTA last week.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

galahan posted:

If you read about battery longevity you should hardly ever charge it 100% or run it to 0% anyway.

This doesn't really apply to phones. 100% and 0% as your phone reports it are not absolutes, they're the safe upper and lower charge limits of the battery.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

galahan posted:

Especially if you can't replace the battery.

I haven't read much but I can't wait for newer semi-non disposable batteries. (Sulfur was it?)

Quick or turbo charge is crazy fast anyway, at least to get it to that sweet spot where you aren't nuking your battery cells.

My buddy keeps his at 100% constantly but a replacement battery is under $9

My HTC one m8 battery practically unreplacable.

Edit: Also you people that keep batteries/spares in hot environments and pockets are destroying them too. May as well put them in a min temp oven.

Just food for thought, I will admit it is more convinient your way(s) though.

Nope.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

galahan posted:

Haha, what??

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If anyone is getting a fancy new Moto G and wants a fancy new moto accessory, I got a $25 dollar off coupon. Anyone want it? SA-Mart thread is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733752&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post448322329

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

baka kaba posted:

Yeah and they weren't very good.

The Note 4 had some amazing low light shots when it first came out, people are saying this camera's comparable to that? I'm not seeing it

It's not just "people" who are saying that. It's independent camera review sites. I, personally, think those low light shots look quite good. No, they aren't great if at 100% crop, but even the Note 4 doesn't really look great in low light at 100% (no compact sensor does.) For 3x5 prints or viewing on a digital picture frame, they look great.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2014/10/13/f7c45c1f-7567-4824-a1a1-176e29a6dd28/4f5bf443b0ce0a5bb3f39716bc5aae15/nightsamsungnote4.jpg

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

the nicker posted:

This doesn't really apply to phones. 100% and 0% as your phone reports it are not absolutes, they're the safe upper and lower charge limits of the battery.

He's half right at least. Depth of discharge vs. number of duty cycles is logarithmic for lithium cells. So someone that charges their when it drops to 90% will get a lot more than 10 times the charge cycles than someone who lets it go to 0% every time. So if you're anal and want the longest battery life possible just charge it whenever it's a bit low.

Or just charge it overnight like normal people do

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Your writing format is very annoying.

You should stop writing like this since it makes each sentence a separate paragraph.

Ideas become disconnected and sentences seem like items in a list this way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beedeebee posted:

Lol, that's insane. You guys know the world doesn't end when your phone battery is empty right?

I don't care about the battery level, I care about being able to see the notification light at a glance which the Tylt Vu does perfectly. The fact that it takes zero effort and the phone is never less than 100% charged is just gravy as the phone would be sitting there doing nothing regardless.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

galahan posted:

You're fuckin weird.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

It's not just "people" who are saying that. It's independent camera review sites. I, personally, think those low light shots look quite good. No, they aren't great if at 100% crop, but even the Note 4 doesn't really look great in low light at 100% (no compact sensor does.) For 3x5 prints or viewing on a digital picture frame, they look great.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2014/10/13/f7c45c1f-7567-4824-a1a1-176e29a6dd28/4f5bf443b0ce0a5bb3f39716bc5aae15/nightsamsungnote4.jpg

Well anything looks good if you zoom out enough. The shots were a comparison with the iPhone camera of the time I think, and they were genuinely impressive - actual sharp detail when you zoom in on a cityscape at dusk, good exposure without motion blur, that kind of thing. Within reason obviously, there's only so much you can expect, but they genuinely looked like a step forward to me.

The low-light example pics for the moto don't look like anything special at all to me, and that's the kind of lighting situation I'm more interested in. Maybe they weren't doing it justice, but some smeared people in a gallery and a muddy picture of a bike aren't exactly showcase material. Looks more like aggressive noise removal than anything

e- to be fair, looking at the dpreview site those images were taken from, those are the worst shots testing really high ISOs (especially the bike) and they have some comparisons with a special Night Mode further down, and that looks way better. They got some great results in tricky conditions, so maybe it's actually real good after all!

http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/6329651553/motorola-moto-x-style-preview-samples

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 29, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're fuckin weird.

I do USB cable charging on my night stand and wireless charging at work

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
First detailed Moto G review I've found. 1 week review time. Camera is noticeably improved, screen is good, battery life gets a large boost, and as a hidden bonus the storage speed is much faster.

http://laptopmedia.com/smartphone-review/motorola-moto-g-3rd-gen-2015-review-the-new-flagship-in-the-mid-range/

Me likey.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

baka kaba posted:

e- to be fair, looking at the dpreview site those images were taken from, those are the worst shots testing really high ISOs (especially the bike) and they have some comparisons with a special Night Mode further down, and that looks way better. They got some great results in tricky conditions, so maybe it's actually real good after all!

http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/6329651553/motorola-moto-x-style-preview-samples

Yeah, it's the Night Mode pictures that I though were really pretty decent for a phone camera. It does lower the MP count, but that's fine.

Yeah, the bike shot was to test the thing at the limit of ISO and it's really not that bad in that situation. You have to keep in mind that we're talking a 21mp sensor here. You are hardly EVER going to use these pictures at anything close to 100%. That also means that the pictures are going to look worse at 100% than a lower MP camera. At normal web sizes, even the high ISO images look pretty nice. If someone posted that bike picture on their facebook feed, I wouldn't blink an eye about it and would think it looks pretty decent.

The info we don't have about the camera is how good it is about taking fast shots of things in motion. F2.0 aperture is encouraging as that should allow it to use fast shutter speeds in lower light situations. But other cameras have had fast lenses before and not been able to snap a clean shot in motion so we'll have to see. The hardware is there and it looks as though Moto has good post processing down, the real question now is how quick and capable is the software driving the camera to select the best mode for the situation.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're fuckin weird.

True enough, just respouting articles I read in this very thread though. I ought to link sources, but effort.

I'm a masochist when it comes to this stuff and baby just bought his first smartphone last September, I'm a try hard I guess. It probably won't even matter because at the rate I use my phone for high intensity tasks it won't even hold half the charge it did from the factory less than a year from now.

If your phone is disposable by all means beat the piss out of it, I know I do, but I am trying to keep the cells healthy as long as possible. Also current phones are disposable anyway.

I'm just trying to spread information from this very thread about battery health, or look it up on lifehacker or something if you care.

I'd guesstimate my phone still holds 90% or more of its factory specs, my girlfriend's Apple stuff who does things your way can't hold a candle to it's health.

Edit: I have fully nightstand charged it out of desperation, but to support your arguement, the fully charged LED is enough to wake me up when it's done. Different strokes different folks.

TLDR; At least I'm enough of a realist to get that I'm on the Sperg side of this, but the information is out there (head in the Sander's) that don't care as much.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

hooah posted:

Your writing format is very annoying.

You should stop writing like this since it makes each sentence a separate paragraph.

Ideas become disconnected and sentences seem like items in a list this way.

You are not the first on here to tell me that, honestly how many paragraphs should it have been? Please forgive me I was quickly phone posting and I walked off my job today.
I am aware of the habit and constructive criticism is always appreciated, however telling me I am weird doesn't really shame me into changing. (I know your not that person)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ That's how professional writers on the internets format things these days. At least it's not a new paragraph for every sentence!

bull3964 posted:

The info we don't have about the camera is how good it is about taking fast shots of things in motion. F2.0 aperture is encouraging as that should allow it to use fast shutter speeds in lower light situations. But other cameras have had fast lenses before and not been able to snap a clean shot in motion so we'll have to see. The hardware is there and it looks as though Moto has good post processing down, the real question now is how quick and capable is the software driving the camera to select the best mode for the situation.

Yeah definitely, at the end of the day I just want people to be able to whip out their phones and take a pic without having to put a light on or whatever, and get a nice image

That reminds me, what happened to the new Camera 2 API stuff for Google Camera? It was supposed to bring faster pics and that multi-exposure tone mapping stuff, to the Nexus 6 at least, did anything ever happen with that? Apart from the test app someone else made with the API. I was trying to take some photos of a cat with my N5 recently and the responsiveness is pretty drat bad. That split second delay is a killer

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The fact a Moto camera is even being compared to the Note 4's is a huge step forward.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

^^^ That's how professional writers on the internets format things these days. At least it's not a new paragraph for every sentence

What if every sentence was a new thought though? (I'll admit most were not) Actually, I might have been scolded on here for the opposite at one point come to think about it!
That's what you get for listening to people I guess. Sorry for contributing to derail, but I'm actually curious.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

galahan posted:

What if every sentence was a new thought though? (I'll admit most were not) Actually, I might have been scolded on here for the opposite at one point come to think about it!
That's what you get for listening to people I guess. Sorry for contributing to derail, but I'm actually curious.

Hell I've been trying to break things up like that recently, I tend to write too much in big blocks so it's a good habit to develop. Get pithy.

I guess people get annoyed when there's a new paragraph where you'd expect a new sentence. Like it basically follows on from the previous thought, but you get this hard break instead, and people prepare themselves mentally for some expected change in context. And then there's a bit of rebalancing as you parse it, realise it's directly connected to the previous sentence, and your understanding changes. It's a bit like getting tripped. Up, constantly, if you see. What? I mean

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's funny is my turbo actually takes really clean quick pictures in burst mode. It's just if you are trying to snap a quick shot of something in motion it will likely be blurry. I took like 30 pictures in burst mode of my nephew blowing out his birthday candles and all but one was sharp as a tack with no blur (incidentally, google made a great auto-awesome out of it.)

If you think about it though, that's really the way pros take good motion shots, they burst.

It's a challenge to be sure. You need the right combo of shutter speed and ISO and autofocus to get the right shot. Choosing the first two comes down to accurate metering which I'm sure can be difficult to get right given the limitations inherent in a phone camera.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh I don't mean blur (and yeah, burst mode forever), I mean the time between hitting the button and the camera actually taking the shot. There's a lag, even if you prime the shutter and release, and it's really inconsistent too - it can be anything from like 1/3s to a full second. Taking cat pics ends up with lots of pics of the cat looking away, it's a tough gig

I'm pretty sure the new software was meant to make the pipeline faster so it responds instantaneously, as well as the faster processing in general, but I haven't heard anything about it since it was announced like a year ago :catstare:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

galahan posted:

You are not the first on here to tell me that, honestly how many paragraphs should it have been? Please forgive me I was quickly phone posting and I walked off my job today.

galahan posted:

1. True enough, just respouting articles I read in this very thread though. I ought to link sources, but effort.

2. I'm a masochist when it comes to this stuff and baby just bought his first smartphone last September, I'm a try hard I guess. It probably won't even matter because at the rate I use my phone for high intensity tasks it won't even hold half the charge it did from the factory less than a year from now.

3. If your phone is disposable by all means beat the piss out of it, I know I do, but I am trying to keep the cells healthy as long as possible. Also current phones are disposable anyway.

4. I'm just trying to spread information from this very thread about battery health, or look it up on lifehacker or something if you care.

5. I'd guesstimate my phone still holds 90% or more of its factory specs, my girlfriend's Apple stuff who does things your way can't hold a candle to it's health.

Edit: I have fully nightstand charged it out of desperation, but to support your arguement, the fully charged LED is enough to wake me up when it's done. Different strokes different folks.

TLDR; At least I'm enough of a realist to get that I'm on the Sperg side of this, but the information is out there (head in the Sander's) that don't care as much.

The reason why you use so many paragraphs is because you aren't finishing a thought and then you come back and repeat it.

Paragraphs 1 and 4 are about the same thing. So are paragraphs 2 and 5. The 3rd can stand on its own probably at the end.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

^^^ That's how professional writers on the internets format things these days. At least it's not a new paragraph for every sentence!

Yeah definitely, at the end of the day I just want people to be able to whip out their phones and take a pic without having to put a light on or whatever, and get a nice image

That reminds me, what happened to the new Camera 2 API stuff for Google Camera? It was supposed to bring faster pics and that multi-exposure tone mapping stuff, to the Nexus 6 at least, did anything ever happen with that? Apart from the test app someone else made with the API. I was trying to take some photos of a cat with my N5 recently and the responsiveness is pretty drat bad. That split second delay is a killer

Please share a cat picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Thanks all! Over and out!