Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Its possibly notable that See the Unwritten isn't particularly playable right now even with giant gently caress-off dragons that steal your opponents dudes, torch their field, etc. in the format.

It just top 8ed an SCG open.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=88205

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
New Eldrazi mechanic is going to be "Only spend Mana that was produced by mana sources in front of the rest of your permanents"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

bhsman posted:

Play them both! :haw:

I like it, because it's an Eldrazi that facilitates future Eldrazi.
It seems fine as an Eldrazi spawn mechanic, but "yay I just got an average of about 1.5 off-colour lands" doesn't seem amazing as a headliner.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems fine as an Eldrazi spawn mechanic, but "yay I just got an average of about 1.5 off-colour lands" doesn't seem amazing as a headliner.

On the other hand it seems like a killer in a U control mirror

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
See the Unwritten has always been great against decks without counterspells, it's just tough to make it through a long tournament and not play against control at some point. If you're just trying to go bigger though, it's really good.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
mtg investment advice: sell your force of wills

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

born on a buy you posted:

Why?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the other hand it seems like a killer in a U control mirror

Until you crack your opponent's delved fetches and inadvertently fuel their next dig through time.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Yeah...what is this based on?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Haven't you heard that the next ftv is cards not on the reserve list but are still stupidly expensive for some reason? Get out of your wastelands, mana crypts, and imperial recruiters while you can! And give the latter two to my cube please.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are there any good mtg forums with active drafting and sealed subforums? MTG salvation is full of bad players and I'm looking for playtesting partners and draft discussions. I plan on going to GP Atlanta in.. October? If anyone else is going pm me or post your Skype and we can talk as well.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I hope they don't reprint FOW not because of mtgfinance but because it's a stupid loving card

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

There's a historical price spike/drop cycle that's occurred in the past 3 years according to MTG Goldfish. They spike up around $20-$30 in March and hold that value until around October, then go down $15-$25. The last cycle spiked to $100 and dropped to $85. The price is definitely going up long-term, but it not being on the reserved list means that it's probably on Wizards' radar for a reprint. Considering its spike tends to happen in the Modern Masters/Conspiracy slot on the calendar that seems like the most likely venue.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh man, McMagic, you're gonna love this.

Or just the thread in general.

Time to get really pissed off that another store which has been around longer than mine has started doing something I did first!

Now it's time to blow it off like I don't even care when I really, really do!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 29, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like the crossout that looks like a handlebar moustache.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

I like the crossout that looks like a handlebar moustache.

Thats because hes the villain

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Time to get really pissed off that another store which has been around longer than mine has started doing something I did first!

HAHAHA. They deleted it from their facebook. I have to know who was bitching like that (though I have a good idea who it is...)

BTW the idea of even comparing those 2 stores in terms of quality is laughable. Someone needs to worry about their own lovely store rather than bitching that the new, better store is one-upping them.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 29, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Presented without comment (Pack 3):

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Count Bleck posted:

i have no idea what is going on here because you didn't color code your censorship THANKS A LOT COUNT BLECK

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyshall posted:

i have no idea what is going on here because you didn't color code your censorship THANKS A LOT COUNT BLECK

Some guy who runs a lovely store is wondering why he's losing players to the better store that opened up a mile or so away.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

legacy's dying, cloud

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Some guy who runs a lovely store is wondering why he's losing players to the better store that opened up a mile or so away.

I'm assuming your referring to East Coast Gamers as the lovely store because Close Encounters is a pretty good store and has been here a while, they're just under newer management and have definitely improved.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I'm assuming your referring to East Coast Gamers as the lovely store because Close Encounters is a pretty good store and has been here a while, they're just under newer management and have definitely improved.

Yes, thats what I meant opened up again with new owners. Though I've only been there since the new owners have been there. It's a very good store.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

I looked up close encounters and it's in NJ. I did an x wing regional at all things fun earlier this year. Is that store somehow involved in all this drama? :3: (I hope not, the lady who looked like she owned the store was v nice and generous)

Oops didn't refresh. Guess not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I looked up close encounters and it's in NJ. I did an x wing regional at all things fun earlier this year. Is that store somehow involved in all this drama? :3: (I hope not, the lady who looked like she owned the store was v nice and generous)

I don't know anything about All Fun Things. Never been there.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Probably not involved, no.

Basically, Close Encounters is starting Sealed League. East Coast's owner isn't happy about it because they were the only people in the general area doing Sealed League. Because he apparently invented the whole idea or whatever.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

Probably not involved, no.

Basically, Close Encounters is starting Sealed League. East Coast's owner isn't happy about it because they were the only people in the general area doing Sealed League. Because he apparently invented the whole idea or whatever.
No didn't you see, he didn't invent the idea he just did it first in the area so no one else should do it! :downs:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Coordinating with fellow stores so you don't interfere with each other's operations, especially with a limited pool of (relatively niche) consumers, is actually v cool and good. Leagues are tricky cuz they are extended periods of time but it's p dumb to have legacy or x wing nights on the same night as another store less than 10 miles from you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I hope they don't reprint FOW not because of mtgfinance but because it's a stupid loving card

Force of Will would be pretty bad in standard friend

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Are there any good mtg forums with active drafting and sealed subforums? MTG salvation is full of bad players and I'm looking for playtesting partners and draft discussions. I plan on going to GP Atlanta in.. October? If anyone else is going pm me or post your Skype and we can talk as well.

Sadly, none that I've found. Theme seems to be: active and good - choose one.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why everyone is so surprised the mythic Eldrazi is an on-cast effect. It was the exact same way with the original Titans, because cheating them into play is so easy that ETBs would be broken.

I think it was very deliberate that Oblivion Sower can only target opponents, imagine Tron playes targeting themselves to suss out their own lands lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think targeting your opponent's deck is probably more for flavour still. It doesn't seem like the best thing you can play in Tron.

e: misread

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Four Score posted:

I don't know why everyone is so surprised the mythic Eldrazi is an on-cast effect. It was the exact same way with the original Titans, because cheating them into play is so easy that ETBs would be broken.

I think it was very deliberate that Oblivion Sower can only target opponents, imagine Tron playes targeting themselves to suss out their own lands lmao

Turn 3, natural Tron, play Sower, hit 3 tronlands, play Karn, blow up your land.

:barf:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Niton posted:

Presented without comment (Pack 3):

Maybe you should comment.

Are you sad because you're LSV and can't resist drafting bad trap cards, instead of mythic uncommon 4/4 for 4 mana, split across 3 creatures, 2 of which have evasive, plus an extra ability that's just gravy?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I checked out both their facebooks pages, why is one so much better than the other? They both look pretty much the same.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I checked out both their facebooks pages, why is one so much better than the other? They both look pretty much the same.

Close Encounters despite having less space has one of the best singles collections of any store in the area and they fire good legacy/modern events every month with actual good prizes. East coast has like zero singles and they fire a 2K IQ every 2 months. Otherwise there is literally no reason to ever go there. (I live an hour away from both so they aren't my "LGS")

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

legacy's dying, cloud

:golfclap:

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Force of Will would be pretty bad in standard friend

Yeah, I don't see a 2-for-1 or 5-mana counterspell being a problem.

Edit: I'd love to see a reprint, if nothing else to see what kind of effect it'd have on Modern.

Trilas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Devor posted:

Maybe you should comment.

Are you sad because you're LSV and can't resist drafting bad trap cards, instead of mythic uncommon 4/4 for 4 mana, split across 3 creatures, 2 of which have evasive, plus an extra ability that's just gravy?

I'm guessing it's just notable that Rogue is still there pick 9 instead of whatever it is you just said.

• Locked thread