Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
An emergency out-of-band update for Funky Fanservicebean, because holy poo poo, I can't sit on this garbage until morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That son of a bitch.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

EasyEW posted:

An emergency out-of-band update for Funky Fanservicebean, because holy poo poo, I can't sit on this garbage until morning.

Les is just skimming through that book to find the pick-up lines that worked on Lisa.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

So much for Brooke's plan to attract the furry crowd.

Pibgorn

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Gay interior decorator jokes? Bud Grace really is a time traveler from the 1960s.

That's the most hostile giraffe I've ever seen.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

And then Les was so ashamed of what he had become that he killed himself, ushering in the Age of Funkpocalypse. Actually just literally anything having consequence is the only way this stupid arc could be redeemed, but that won't happen because Batiuk is in fact keenly aware that the only thing of significance he ever wrote was Lisa's cancer arc and so he will milk that cow forever across the loving Funky Multiverse like the twisted universal constant that keeps Lex Luthor and Superman forever at odds. There is always a Lisa, there is always cancer, and it is always lethal.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

greatn posted:

Oh You Kid was a pick up line back then and in a number of pop songs. Lots of men got the poo poo beaten out of them for saying "Oh you kid" to the wrong guys girlfriend.

The full saying was "I love my wife but oh, you kid!" which just adds to the trouble dudes could get into. Rolling pins on head, frying pans on head, crockery thrown, poo poo straight outta Jiggs & Maggie.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Realizing his only shot at fame and fortune comes from Lisa’s long, lingering death by cancer, young Les makes a decision that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

How loving long is this storyline going to go on for? The ending is so telegraphed that I wish for a total bait & switch, but nothing will ever come of this. It'll end as expected after another month of "WOW GURAN IS EQUAL OR WORSE THAN KIPAWA BUT GURAN IS NICER SO HE WINS" trials and then we'll have another agonizingly boring arc where one of the kids needs to go to the dentist or something.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Geomancing posted:

One of the things I enjoy about Everett True is the little slices of culture that are just so strange to modern viewers. Like, multiple strips show that True goes into a restaurant and sits down at a table with complete strangers just because that's the open seat. (Then he beats them up for one reason or another.)

I assumed he was sitting down with friends/relatives/business partners/etc for an arranged dinner (and to beat them up)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

I had to include this Mother Goose & Grimm because it was so dumb

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Why couldn't it have been the children?"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Calaveron posted:

I don't have examples on-hand, but african americans are drawn in that old timey really racist way.

Also, I'm fairly sure Everett True has stood up against white people mistreating a black person, but has also lost his poo poo at a black person's accent/way of talking.

Oh, I see. I thought you meant there was racism in the strips just posted and I was being very confused.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I always skip over Funky Winkerbean because it's not the fun kind of bad, but are they doing some sort of time travel plot?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I always skip over Funky Winkerbean because it's not the fun kind of bad, but are they doing some sort of time travel plot?

Yes. As teenagers, they found a time portal. Between then and now they all forgot about it, except for Crazy Harry (I think that's his name?). Despite there being no good reason for Lisa to be with them at the time, she was, and so is now in the present. No one is going to tell her about the cancer and potentially save her life. They're telling their past selves all sorts of other stuff though, so it's clearly not about preserving history. And now teenager-Les has found Les's terrible book (about Lisa dying), which was lying around at the school reunion for some reason. But the story's not over yet, so prepare for it to get worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was lying around at the school reunion because you don't want to spend too much time away from your main character.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

A RARE TYPO APPEARS! IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

New from RONCO, it's FIDIK!

9 Chickweed Lane 7/29/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Mark Trail

It's clear this shark was shot up by a rival gang. Perhaps The Jets?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Christ, it's this rear end in a top hat again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

"Wow, this book is terrible! Why would I think the reading public would care about Lisa slowly dying?"

The Dinette Set counts calories.

Working Daze is still doing this.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix sees you coming a mile away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I missed early Creeps. Is this the first reveal that Fat Creep has a tumor not just a weird hairdo?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015

Skippy (May 30, 1928)

Peanuts (July 31, 1968)

So, Franklin. This story has been told in great detail over recent years, but the short version was that in the wake of the MLK assassination, a schoolteacher wrote Schulz a letter asking if there was a way to introduce a black character into Charlie Brown's world. Schulz was sympathetic to what the teacher was asking, but didn't want to make a diversity move come off in a patronizing way. They traded a few letters and Sparky became convinced that it would be more wrong to not try.

In the end, Franklin was just another one of the kids, but even that was too much for some people. "I did get one letter from one southern editor who said something about 'I don't mind you having a black character, but please don't show them in school together.' Because I had shown Franklin sitting in front of Peppermint Patty. But I didn't even answer him."

And if Franklin seemed a little bit bland in the long run compared to the neurotics he was surrounded with, keep in mind that there were many ways to blow the type of thing Sparky pulled off.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 15-16, 1927)

Thimble Theater (February 14, 1929)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How is no-powers supporting character Popeye so much cooler than punch-an-alligator-so-hard-it-flies-into-the-sky-and-falls-back-down-as-a-set-of-luggage protagonist Popeye?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

RandomFerret posted:

How is no-powers supporting character Popeye so much cooler than punch-an-alligator-so-hard-it-flies-into-the-sky-and-falls-back-down-as-a-set-of-luggage protagonist Popeye?

I'm betting cuz this Popeye does not seem to give a poo poo in comparison.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arelon posted:

Fingerpori

The meanings of esittää include to play (in an act), to display, to present and to exhibit. I'll let you guess what Asko meant.

quote:

I love it how a hundred years later none of this makes any sense. I wonder how most gag cartoons would fair a century from now. Maybe we should start annotating our contemporary cartoons so that future generations can understand what the hell they were about.

Unfortunately only Charles Boyce knows what goes on in Computoon...

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Nenonen posted:

The meanings of esittää include to play (in an act), to display, to present and to exhibit. I'll let you guess what Asko meant.

I love it how a hundred years later none of this makes any sense. I wonder how most gag cartoons would fair a century from now. Maybe we should start annotating our contemporary cartoons so that future generations can understand what the hell they were about.

Unfortunately only Charles Boyce knows what goes on in Computoon...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I love it how a hundred years later none of this makes any sense.

I dunno, I thought it was clear enough even without knowing the slang implications of "Oh you!" back then. Guy eyeballs and tries to flirt with a woman on the street, woman looks alarmed and unhappy at the attention, Everett pastes him.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Selachian posted:

I dunno, I thought it was clear enough even without knowing the slang implications of "Oh you!" back then. Guy eyeballs and tries to flirt with a woman on the street, woman looks alarmed and unhappy at the attention, Everett pastes him.

Yeah. Like, if the strip is done today, the guy would be catcalling her.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 15-16, 1927)

I don't get it. "Robert" because those are Robert's legs, yes, but... what's Robert doing?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't get it. "Robert" because those are Robert's legs, yes, but... what's Robert doing?

It's 1920s version of Zits.

Those darn kids who don't sit properly!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So what you're saying is that the joke isn't that he's eating out grandma

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RandomFerret posted:

Because relatively speaking Castor and the rest are even more unbearable than the relatively modern Popeye cast.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Octatonic posted:

So what you're saying is that the joke isn't that he's eating out grandma

He's on the bench behind Grandma making it look like she has goofy legs.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

RandomFerret posted:

Because everyone else in Thimble Theater is a horrible rear end in a top hat and he doesn't want anything to do with them.

Contrast that to super Popeye, where he hangs out with horrible people by choice.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"Pneumatic" and "epicine": two common schoolyard taunts (or "japes" as the kids these days call them).

Shadeoses posted:

I assumed he was sitting down with friends/relatives/business partners/etc for an arranged dinner (and to beat them up)
Sometimes he probably is, but a lot of the time no. I think this thread had a discussion about this a while back, but back in the day it was common if you were dining alone in a restaurant to be seated or to take a seat at a table with strangers and eat (other people who were also dining alone), and it's apparently still pretty common in other countries, and some American restaurants in big cities have played with bringing it back as well.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Greybook University has a competitive working environment.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Yeah that mask really protects your identity, and you don't look like a jackass wearing it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You know what, I will unironically start loving Funky Winkerbean if Sunday's strip ends with the old cast leaving and the focus remaining on the young group, and it resets into being a comic strip about goofy teenagers in the 70's devoid of the emotional baggage created by so much cancer and unwarranted self-importance.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Calaveron posted:

You know what, I will unironically start loving Funky Winkerbean if Sunday's strip ends with the old cast leaving and the focus remaining on the young group, and it resets into being a comic strip about goofy teenagers in the 70's devoid of the emotional baggage created by so much cancer and unwarranted self-importance.

It's fun to dream, but not a chance. TomBat has a two year buffer of these, so you'd assume that an about-face that drastic would've been leaked by now.

The topic of tonight's Pogo is the measure of a man. Um, male mammal. (July 31, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (Decmeber 18-22, 1952)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Les is going to plagiarize himself.

I feel sorry for that other lady who died. You know, the poor soul who has to share a memorial board with the Sainted Lisa. None of the present people care, and even the time travelers who are currently going to school with her do not give a poo poo.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Gee, thanks, Eve.