Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Spergminer posted:

Is that the reflection from the leg or is that bottle full of water, because then this goes from bad to worse.

I think it's full of water. Otherwise the bottle would be crushed when someone sat down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's load bearing water.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Song For The Deaf posted:

How exactly does the potato thing gently caress you up? A quick search yields nothing but people genuinely recommending the advice. Common sense says it would make the streak problem worse, or it would make the inside of your car smell like rotten spud that's been sun-ruined. Are either of those the problem, or is it something I'm not thinking of?

I'm too much of a chickenshit to try this out myself, but my guess is that it leaves a starchy semitranslucent residue over everything that is about as tedious to remove as it was in kindergarten when you smeared the potato glue you made and ate all over all your poo poo and all of all other's poo poo.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

If you look at it at thumbnail size, sure, it kinda looks like stone, but when you actually look at it at full size or in real life it doesn't look like stone at all, it just looks stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FrozenVent posted:

It's load bearing water.

Well water is non compressible. That lid on the other hand, I'm not so sure.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Think you meant

FrozenVent posted:

It's load bearing water #lifehack

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

titties posted:

Let's say you wanted great-looking teeth like the rich folks have so you swished a bunch of liquid paper around in your mouth and then covered your teeth in clear nail polish.

It's that but a counter.

:stare:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

taiyoko posted:

Because nothing says lifehack like making your kitchen look like poo poo by making your counters look like fancy stone counters...only to the legally blind.

So will those 5 little bottles of craft paint actually do an entire counter because that part seems as crazy as the hack itself.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Almost certainly not. Nor will that tiny tub of polycrylic. For that matter, getting a smooth clean surface like that one is really hard with liquid varnishes at home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Almost certainly not. Nor will that tiny tub of polycrylic. For that matter, getting a smooth clean surface like that one is really hard with liquid varnishes at hom.

Better not have any pets.

That one stray cat hair wafts down as it's drying...

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

flosofl posted:

Better not have any pets.

That one stray cat hair wafts down as it's drying...

One? lol

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Seriously. Just coat a small surface with poly and every freaking cat hair in the house will stick to it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

House full of cat hair? Coat one small surface with poly
#LIFEHACK

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ONE WEIRD TRICK you can get super cheap furniture with crackhead paintjobs at thrift stores and garage sales and often strip away the paint to reveal high grade wood underneath because people are retarded as gently caress.

People will take $10,000 antique solid walnut tables and cover it with pastel pink paint and think "wow this looks great!" and then a few years later it's in somebody's garbage.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm hoping the before and after are flipped, unless the lifehack is how to make a kitschy looking house?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

ONE WEIRD TRICK you can get super cheap furniture with crackhead paintjobs at thrift stores and garage sales and often strip away the paint to reveal high grade wood underneath because people are retarded as gently caress.

People will take $10,000 antique solid walnut tables and cover it with pastel pink paint and think "wow this looks great!" and then a few years later it's in somebody's garbage.

As merely a casual watcher of Antiques Roadshow that picture made my blood pressure skyrocket.

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm hoping the before and after are flipped, unless the lifehack is how to make a kitschy looking house?

The pictured lifehack is literally "Cover up that ugly old furniture with a nice fresh coat of paint, antiques are a made-up thing anyway". A FUCKIN CANARY! has said "You can undo that and be smart and cool."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Glumslinger posted:

The image is a visual representation of WHY it's a double-lifehack. You buy the "after" that someone else made, remove the paint and have the "before" left over, for cheaper than it would have been.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I was a kid, I liked painting, so someone in my family bought me a book on painting. It was how to tromp l'oeil/fake paint almost any interesting thing in a house. All sorts of rock like granite, sandstone, malachite, plus half-wall paneling and fake doors. As a kid I thought it was amazing. Now I'd just do the real thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That lovely cabinet that's probably not an actual antique (from an European perspective) looks a lot better painted though and if the next owner doesn't like the colour, they can, as has been pointed out, strip it. People hell of painted furniture to match their decor hundreds of years ago so why not now?

e: rich people at least

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Jul 28, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Cotton posted:

That lovely cabinet that's probably not an actual antique (from an European perspective) looks a lot better painted though and if the next owner doesn't like the colour, they can, as has been pointed out, strip it. People hell of painted furniture to match their decor hundreds of years ago so why not now?

e: rich people at least

Hopefully they used leaded paints that their kids chipped off and ate.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So did their parents, and their parents, in an endless cycle of horrible paint decisions.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Clunky dark wood furniture like that is actually hard to get rid of. Charity second hand stores won't even take it off your hands.

50 year old factory made wooden cabinets aren't antiques.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I wouldn't want the piece in my house either way but the paint does look better than plain, it doesn't look that old/nice anyway

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I too have a valuable opinion on home furniture in regards to natural wood vs paint, and my opinion matches every case ever because there's no need for context of style.

*image of fart*

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The image is just something from GIS that seemed relevant, and my point was just that people do dumb things around the house with paint other than splattering it on their laminate countertops.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Splattered paint? Opinions on value? Sounds like a case for

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I have a pair of solid white mahogany end tables that have been in my family for four generations now. There's at least five coats of crappy paint on them, and at least one is lead based so I can't power sand. :negative: One of my dream projects once I have space to do it is strip them and put on a nice, quality clear finish because goddamn why did, "let's paint this!" ever come into play.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

13Pandora13 posted:

I have a pair of solid white mahogany end tables that have been in my family for four generations now. There's at least five coats of crappy paint on them, and at least one is lead based so I can't power sand. :negative: One of my dream projects once I have space to do it is strip them and put on a nice, quality clear finish because goddamn why did, "let's paint this!" ever come into play.

Why can't you sand lead paint? Lead isn't that dangerous, if you aren't a toddler it probably won't do poo poo. That's why it took so long for people to realize lead plumbing was a bad idea.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
yeah my house was painted tits to toes with lead paint and my parents stripped it all while I was growing up and I didnt get any drain bamage from it

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Angela Christine posted:

Why can't you sand lead paint? Lead isn't that dangerous, if you aren't a toddler it probably won't do poo poo. That's why it took so long for people to realize lead plumbing was a bad idea.

Sanding lead paint turns it into fumes so it's a lot harder to prevent exposure. You need to tarp around it and put on PPE so you don't inhale all the poo poo that you're sanding off. It can be done but in Pandora's case they need to get past all the non lead paint too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

13Pandora13 posted:

Get adequate breathing and eye protection and you should be fine. Be careful with a power sander, though, you might do more damage than good. While it will take more time and effort, hand sanding (or at least a bench sander where you have greater control over sanding speed) will produce the best results. #Walla!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Life hack: use convenient materials regardless of how much they gently caress up the next generation.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Do you need PPE? Proper ventilation? Think again! By not using PPE or proper ventilation you can save THOUSANDS of dollars effectively LIFEHACKING your DIY home projects!

Grinding metal? Not a problem! No goggles required if you just look away or squint very very tightly! #HACKED
Cutting overhead tree branches? Leave the hardhat! Stand to one side of the tree branch! #HACKED
Using noxious chemicals? Leave the cumbersome respirator and expensive cyclonic air filtration system off your project costs by working outside! FACT!!!: Outside air is proven to be fresher than inside air! FACT!!!: Noxious chemicals now waft harmless over your face and eyes before kind old mother nature takes care of them! #HACKED

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Save money by not buying welding gloves with this simple hack: Wear a pair of old tube socks on your hands when welding! Walla, instant free protection! (don't forget to squint!)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Save money by not buying welding gloves with this simple hack: Wear a pair of old tube socks on your hands when welding! Walla, instant free protection! (don't forget to squint!)

You can also look through newspaper with a slit instead of a UV filter. I learned that one seeing pictures of Indian ship wreckers.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Use a heat gun and a scraper for stripping paint and there's less dust flying around. Should work great on old oil based paints.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

axolotl farmer posted:

Use a heat gun and a scraper for stripping paint and there's less dust flying around. Should work great on old oil based paints.

This sounds like actual advice.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I don't know, the combination of "heat gun" and "oil based" is making me a bit lairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I don't know, the combination of "heat gun" and "oil based" is making me a bit lairy

Leary of stripping oil based paint from re-finished furniture? Leave the heat gun! Use a REAL gun on oil based paints for super speedy paint stripping! #HACKED