Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there anywhere you can finance a phone other than by a carrier? I like my prepaid plan but want to upgrade to a less ancient iphone without dropping $600 at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Javid posted:

Is there anywhere you can finance a phone other than by a carrier? I like my prepaid plan but want to upgrade to a less ancient iphone without dropping $600 at once.
That sounds like a bad idea.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Javid posted:

Best Buy credit card. I think Apple offers financing too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Motorola does as well, I believe.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Are there any good prepaid android phones under $100 (cheaper the better) that I can use strictly for gps? I don't plan on activating it, just want it for music and gps

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 17, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

compton rear end terry posted:

Are there any good prepaid android phones under $100 (cheaper the better) that I can use strictly for gps? I don't plan on activating it, just want it for music and gps

Moto E, probably.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The original Moto G for Verizon Prepaid is $38 on Amazon.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Is anyone familiar with the Huawei-P8-lite? http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-P8-lite-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B00W3WTLHQ/ref=sr_1_18?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1437026493&sr=1-18&keywords=huawei
I'm currently in China and I can probably get one pretty cheap. At the end of the month I'll be returning to the US and I want to be able to just go to T-mobile and throw in a new sim card for it. How dumb is this plan?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

devilmonk posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Huawei-P8-lite? http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-P8-lite-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B00W3WTLHQ/ref=sr_1_18?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1437026493&sr=1-18&keywords=huawei
I'm currently in China and I can probably get one pretty cheap. At the end of the month I'll be returning to the US and I want to be able to just go to T-mobile and throw in a new sim card for it. How dumb is this plan?

It has bands 2, 4, & 12 which T-Mobile uses so I'd say it's not the worst plan.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Javid posted:

One alternative is to buy something like an OPO or Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3, if you're not dead set on an iPhone. Alternatively, I guess that's what credit cards were invented for. I think eBay also offers financing via PayPal.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Looking to upgrade from a Nexus 4. It's having problems overheating and then shutting down, and then not starting up again until it cools down.

Current plan: T-Mobile $30/mo pre-paid
Budget: up to $300, looking for used
Important: Battery life and GPS since I am on the road a lot

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hello,

I need a recommendation for a smartphone on Android.

My mom is looking to get a smartphone on Verizon. I was thinking Moto X - is there another no-frills, easy to use smartphone that would be better? She had a Galaxy S5 but I think some of the Samsung software was confusing for her.

Also, any recommendation on a plan would be great/can we get this for cheaper?

1 Dumbphone (30/mo)
1 Dumbphone(30/mo)
1 Smartphone (40/mo)
2gb data (32/mo)
Total 132/mo

I would recommend she switch all the phones to Cricket or another AT&T MVNO, because we have good ATT coverage in our area - except in our house, due to topography and tower placement.

Is there another service that would work?

amar
Mar 5, 2014
I need an Android phone (no contract). I listen to music on my phone all the time. I also use it as my running tracker device using a running app. I use it to take photos during my backpacking/trekking trips (which is frequent) more than my camera camera.
  • Country/Provider: India/AirTel
  • Current contract status: No contract.
  • Budget (phone/plan): < $ 315 (That's ~INR 20K)
  • Features I know I want:
    • good battery
    • good camera
    • stock Android (or little modification, very little)
    • non-phablet size body and screen to body ratio (iPhone 6 screen size is perfect for me, not the screen to body ratio; and original Moto X was the perfect size)
    • preferably a strong body (metallic? Great!) -- Also, I tend to avoid using covers so something that doesn't get scratched easily would be better.
    • Not a Xiaomi - I currently use one and don't want anything Xiaomi ever again.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Country USA

Budget As cheap as possible please.

I started as a Lyft driver in a big city. For about 2 years now I had the Virgin Mobile unlimited 45/month plan with a Kyocera Event and it was great. For Lyft my phone is not good enough and keeps crashing while I'm driving people around. I want a really reliable smart phone with reliable coverage, and I guess I will need unlimited data with all the GPS I will be using, for as little money as I can get away with spending. I guess $80/month is the area I can afford and not bite off more than I can chew.

I am also a musician and just bought an Imac after saving for it for a long time. It would be nice to have an Iphone to get to know about garage band and making my own recordings and whatnot.

Thanks for your help!

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Hi all, I'm looking at picking up the HTC one plus two once it gets released and finally leaving my family plan on Verizon to Ting. One concern I do have is even though I live in a large metropolitan area in the US, my job daily takes me to fairly remote areas, areas that even Verizon loses coverage at. I know it'll be spotty, but I'd like as much coverage as possible, so is GSM or Sprint CDMA the way to go? (Leaked rumors have the one plus two having dual sim slots so it seems I can choose?) I am planning on travelling around the world quite a bit in the coming years which has me leaning to GSM. Also, anyone have any experience with Ting? Are they really as awesome as they look on paper or should I look at other carriers as well? I just love the idea of finally having a bloatware-free phone and a contract-free carrier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To start with Oneplus is not the same company as HTC. They're not related at all. Most people will not recommend buying a Oneplus One since the software is a mess, so I would highly, highly recommend waiting on its successor before buying. Sprint's coverage is not good and not fast and I would be very, very surprised if the OP2 has CDMA hardware at all, so that's most likely out. Their GSM coverage doesn't look too good, either. Just looking at my personal usage, Ting's not particularly cheaper than, say, Cricket or T-Mobile prepaid.

If anything, I'd recommend looking into a Nexus 6 (or whatever the upcoming Nexus phone(s)) and try to get into Project Fi.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Med School posted:

Country USA

I started as a Lyft driver in a big city. For about 2 years now I had the Virgin Mobile unlimited 45/month plan with a Kyocera Event and it was great. For Lyft my phone is not good enough and keeps crashing while I'm driving people around. I want a really reliable smart phone with reliable coverage, and I guess I will need unlimited data with all the GPS I will be using, for as little money as I can get away with spending. I guess $80/month is the area I can afford and not bite off more than I can chew.

I am also a musician and just bought an Imac after saving for it for a long time. It would be nice to have an Iphone to get to know about garage band and making my own recordings and whatnot.

Thanks for your help!

Well, GPS doesn't use that much data, but phone costs are going to kill you.

Either you get a cheap smartphone on contract and pay more monthly, or you get a cheap plan (like your virgin mobile plan) and pay outright for the phone. iPhones are expensive, and run $450-750 new, and probably less used, but unsure what you can get. Check swaps for used phones, they've been pretty reliable lately.

If sprint (virgin mobile) is having issues and you are in a big city, T-Mobile is likely better, but I would check coverage. T-Mobile is as cheap as $30 monthly for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB, but you have to buy a phone outright. The more expensive T-Mobile plans are $50-80 for call, text and whatever data, you still buy the phone outright but can buy it over installments instead of up front.

ATT / cricket (prepaid ATT) is basically the same concept but better coverage, so a bit more monthly. About $40-45 monthly on prepaid if you buy a phone outright, $65 for call, text and 3GB of data, and you buy the phone on an installment plan on post paid.

Honestly, your upfront and monthly budgets don't really include an iPhone, and I wouldn't recommend buying a model older than the 5S at this point. So if you want an iPhone, one of those two has to go up.

Android phones are cheaper, but I'm blanking on which one is better: Moto G or Moto E right now. You can always look at that route.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think the Moto E is more powerful but has a worse screen than the Moto G. This will change when the new Moto G is released.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Med School posted:

Country USA

Thanks for your help!
Can't you just get a standalone gps unit and run the phone separately? $100 will get you a decent Tomtom from Bestbuy, pawn shops are even cheaper. Then you can pick up something off swappa or CL, put it on Cricket and call it a day. Besides, running GPS on your phone will eliminate using the phone while you're driving, wouldn't it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Besides, running GPS on your phone will eliminate using the phone while you're driving, wouldn't it?
No? Why would it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Can't you just get a standalone gps unit and run the phone separately? $100 will get you a decent Tomtom from Bestbuy, pawn shops are even cheaper. Then you can pick up something off swappa or CL, put it on Cricket and call it a day. Besides, running GPS on your phone will eliminate using the phone while you're driving, wouldn't it?

I think the issue here is he/she doesn't need just GPS per say, but GPS while running the Lyft app. So a stand alone GPS wouldn't do that.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Thanks for your help guys.. Ended up getting the 2 year sprint contract on the iphone 6 for around 65/month.. For the job I have to use gps inside the lyft app. The good news is this phone is a dream come true. The bad news is the sprint sales guy was the worst. He didnt tell me anything about the deal up front (like the $200 down payment) and was impatient anytime I had a question about this PERFECT DEAL. Oh well glad it's over time to get on the road and make some money.

...I downloaded hearthstone on the s cond day, does that make me a bad person?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm a little torn, I'm paying $68 on Verizon after taxes et al for 4GB, but my phone (galaxy s3) is getting old and the rest camera is cracked so I want to upgrade.

I really like the idea of the cricket $35 plan + moto x or whatever else pure Android phone, but $68 for Verizon isn't THAT bad (going to call and try to lower it further too). only thing that sticks is being stuck on CDMA and not having a pure Android option besides the phablet Nexus 6.

How is Cricket service in the Seattle area compared to Verizon? Is there any indication or news of a pure Android phone coming to Verizon this year?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm a little torn, I'm paying $68 on Verizon after taxes et al for 4GB, but my phone (galaxy s3) is getting old and the rest camera is cracked so I want to upgrade.

I really like the idea of the cricket $35 plan + moto x or whatever else pure Android phone, but $68 for Verizon isn't THAT bad (going to call and try to lower it further too). only thing that sticks is being stuck on CDMA and not having a pure Android option besides the phablet Nexus 6.

How is Cricket service in the Seattle area compared to Verizon? Is there any indication or news of a pure Android phone coming to Verizon this year?

I actually love my girlfriend's Droid turbo and don't find the changes Motorola made to Android bad at all. At least consider the turbo.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
My Galaxy S3 has just about given up on me, so I'm looking at buying my next phone outright. I'm in Australia with Yatango who piggybacks on the Optus network, but I'm pretty happy with my plan setup as it is.

I'm looking at spending AU$500-600, which probably works out to be around US$350-450 once exchange rates and regional price differences are taken into account.

Primary purposes for my phone will be music, web surfing and mobile games, in addition to being able to call/text/Facebook obviously. Screen size and battery life are also important to me, but I know it could be tricky to get both of them in the one phone. Android is my operating system of choice.

Current considerations are the LG G3, Note 3 and Galaxy S5. Any insight into which I should be going with would be excellent.

Konig fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 25, 2015

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Country/Provider: Indianapolis (USA), Sprint

Current contract status: Two-year contract, expires in September

Budget (phone/plan): HTC One, less than $70/mo (my current rate)

Features I know I want: Keeping my number, unlimited voice, solid coverage, and a decent amount of data (I don't constantly stream video or whatever, but I do use it for browsing several times per week and occasionally stream podcasts)

I already have the HTC One from my existing Sprint contract. It's a good phone that's in good shape, so I don't think I need to replace it unless there's been some kind of huge development in phone technology over the past two years. My assumption is that once the contract is done the phone is mine to do with whatever I wish and I can take it to another carrier or get cheaper service from Sprint (please let me know if I'm wrong about that). My intention is to enjoy a lower bill for 2-3 years and then do a phone upgrade. Assuming I keep my current phone, I'd like to go month-to-month instead of having another long-term contract.

In terms of carrier, everyone is probably pretty decent in a city like Indianapolis, but there's a chance I move to fairly rural south-central Michigan within the next two years, so I'd like to avoid having a carrier with awful coverage everywhere other than big cities.

There is just a bewildering amount of information out there about phones and plans and contracts and fees and etc., so any help is appreciated.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Unless you want a better camera there isn't a hug benefit to upgrading your current phone right now. I would strongly just consider switching to a sprint prepaid plan to save some money and keeping your current phone till you figure out your living situation or you accidentally drop it in the toilet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Country/Provider: Indianapolis (USA), Sprint

Current contract status: Two-year contract, expires in September

Budget (phone/plan): HTC One, less than $70/mo (my current rate)

Features I know I want: Keeping my number, unlimited voice, solid coverage, and a decent amount of data (I don't constantly stream video or whatever, but I do use it for browsing several times per week and occasionally stream podcasts)

I already have the HTC One from my existing Sprint contract. It's a good phone that's in good shape, so I don't think I need to replace it unless there's been some kind of huge development in phone technology over the past two years. My assumption is that once the contract is done the phone is mine to do with whatever I wish and I can take it to another carrier or get cheaper service from Sprint (please let me know if I'm wrong about that). My intention is to enjoy a lower bill for 2-3 years and then do a phone upgrade. Assuming I keep my current phone, I'd like to go month-to-month instead of having another long-term contract.

In terms of carrier, everyone is probably pretty decent in a city like Indianapolis, but there's a chance I move to fairly rural south-central Michigan within the next two years, so I'd like to avoid having a carrier with awful coverage everywhere other than big cities.

There is just a bewildering amount of information out there about phones and plans and contracts and fees and etc., so any help is appreciated.

Not sure how much it changed in the last year or two, but the only part that is tough is the move to south Michigan bit.

Sprint is a good example: sprint has decent coverage in Indianapolis. But you go less than an hour north or south on 65 and it becomes extremely spotty (especially Internet). It's enough to get by if you are traveling, but if you live there it's just not a great experience. I've found this to be the case everywhere I have been in Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, etc, that sprint and T-Mobile both suck outside of the cities. I haven't been to Michigan, but I would bet it isn't much different.

Sadly, your phone will only work on the sprint network and carriers that piggyback off of sprint.

So recommendations:
-for now, it seems sprint coverage is working for you. Ting is usually cheaper and uses the same network (not sure if they get roaming though), so I would look them up. You can use your current phone on Ting.

-I wouldn't fret about moving, if you are off contract you just switch a month before you move. Compare verizon and att coverage and see which is better, make a choice from there. ATT prepaid is $60 for call/text/4GB of data, which should do great for you, Cricket is a prepaid that uses ATT's network so I would also check their plans, and I'm not sure on what verizon currently has. All of those options you will have to get a new phone.

Hopefully that helps!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Sadly, your phone will only work on the sprint network and carriers that piggyback off of sprint.

This is what I thought at first, but then I looked at saw people saying you get HSPA on T-Mobile with a sim-unlocked One M7. It's definitely lacking bands for GSM carriers, but has some, as far as I can tell.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

This is what I thought at first, but then I looked at saw people saying you get HSPA on T-Mobile with a sim-unlocked One M7. It's definitely lacking bands for GSM carriers, but has some, as far as I can tell.

I thought Sprint insisted on internal, non-removable SIM cards just to be sure their customers don't ever take their device to any other carrier (which, necessarily, are about a billion times better than Sprint will ever hope to be)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I thought Sprint insisted on internal, non-removable SIM cards just to be sure their customers don't ever take their device to any other carrier (which, necessarily, are about a billion times better than Sprint will ever hope to be)?
Not the case anymore since Sprint doesn't have the clout to tell phone manufacturers what to do anymore. They're lucky they can get phones made for them at all at this point.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I was thinking of upgrading from this iphone4, but the iphone6 (regular, not even plus) costs 750 bucks! Guy at tmobil said there's a new one coming in Oct and the old ones will drop 100 bux but that's still a lot. I'm not opposed to getting a used (like new) one if you all recommend it, or I could try an android or whatever?

I currently am on a tmobil family plan. Was hoping to spend under 300 bucks if that's possible, don't care if that's all up front or not.

I mostly want like 50+ gig hd and a decent camera, and a screen size somewhere between this iphone4 and the iphone6+

Don't care about most other gimmick features like siri or whatever, though gps might be handy. I could even wait til the iphon7 comes out in oct if that'll make used ones a lot cheaper?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Not the case anymore since Sprint doesn't have the clout to tell phone manufacturers what to do anymore. They're lucky they can get phones made for them at all at this point.

I always wondered how they had the clout before.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How is t-mobile in Philadelphia?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rated PG-34 posted:

How is t-mobile in Philadelphia?

Philly goon here: I don't actually have T-Mobile, but from the reviews I get on it overall pretty good in the dirt, once you get outside the city it goes to hit or miss (like the king of Prussia area) and once you go further out (like Pottstown or reading) not that great. So for the city, good with your standard dead spots and T-Mobile is definitely weaker on building penetration, for small town PA it's weak.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Philly goon here: I don't actually have T-Mobile, but from the reviews I get on it overall pretty good in the dirt, once you get outside the city it goes to hit or miss (like the king of Prussia area) and once you go further out (like Pottstown or reading) not that great. So for the city, good with your standard dead spots and T-Mobile is definitely weaker on building penetration, for small town PA it's weak.

T-mobile is putting up steadily increasing numbers of towers for Band 12, so a lot of metro areas already get pretty good signal indoors now. Just remember that most flagships released before 2015 don't support it since it really just started showing up last fall. But at the very least the G4, S6, M9, and Nexus 6 support it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but long story short my Nexus 5 is a little over a year and a half old, I dropped it and it started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fptKrtK9IgY

I called Google, they sent me to LG, and they basically said it's not under warranty any more, but I could still send it to them for repair. It would take 5-7 business days and the representative could not tell me anything about how much the repairs might cost me, and said that I'd just get billed once they actually have my phone and know what needs to be fixed.

The phone still works right now, and restarting a few times has fixed the screen issue temporarily each time it's happened so far, but if it gets worse in the future restarting might not fix the issue. So one of the things I'm considering is just getting a new phone instead of sending the phone off for repair. I'm on T-Mobile and my current phone is unlocked and not on a contract, and I'd like to keep things that way. Would you recommend going through with the repair or trying to replace the phone? And if it'd be worth it to just get a new phone, what are the best options?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i would find a local phone repair place and ask them for a quote to fix it. I don't live in a big city and we have one, they commonly replace screens and other components.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but long story short my Nexus 5 is a little over a year and a half old, I dropped it and it started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fptKrtK9IgY

I called Google, they sent me to LG, and they basically said it's not under warranty any more, but I could still send it to them for repair. It would take 5-7 business days and the representative could not tell me anything about how much the repairs might cost me, and said that I'd just get billed once they actually have my phone and know what needs to be fixed.

The phone still works right now, and restarting a few times has fixed the screen issue temporarily each time it's happened so far, but if it gets worse in the future restarting might not fix the issue. So one of the things I'm considering is just getting a new phone instead of sending the phone off for repair. I'm on T-Mobile and my current phone is unlocked and not on a contract, and I'd like to keep things that way. Would you recommend going through with the repair or trying to replace the phone? And if it'd be worth it to just get a new phone, what are the best options?

Get a new phone, save yourself the time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Anyone recommend me a phablet or a phone that is good for reading ebooks on? The cheaper is more preferable, but price doesn't matter much.