Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D 5th Edition by way of Eoris Essence:

I have no position on the game itself, but more character sheets should be like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Well this sure is a conveniently timed discussion for me! Having never played FS before, I'm planning to dive into Feng Shui 2 soon on Roll20 and hated the Feng Shui character sheet they had. So I made my own! It's pretty straightforward, but now I'd like feedback from anyone who has actually played FS2 to let me know if the sheet is missing anything obvious or if there are nice to haves you'd like to see.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

NinjaDebugger posted:

Meet the Eoris character sheet.

:psypop: I would die. character creation in most games already takes me multiple hours. it is not fun

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

dwarf74 posted:

Definitely the latter.

On p. 11 there's a "Roleplaying in Eoris" section.

If you collect RPGs at all, this is totally worth $15.

I am not entirely sure it's playable, but it's at least more comprehensible than Immortal: The Invisible War, and I paid more for that back in the early 90's

There are real life religions with way weirder basic concepts. It's pretty cool that the guy made an RPG with the intent of spiritually awaken those who play it, and I agree that the sheet looks beautiful.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have a request of help aimed at people familiar with Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine.
I am trying once again to wrap my head around it, after a long pause wherein real life got in the way, as it often does. I'd like to get a definitive handle on genres, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some examples of them from other kinds of media? Here's what I've got, which isn't much:

-Pastoral: drawing a blank here, but interestingly the example of play I found is of a Pastoral game
-Gothic: this is a well documented genre, but I feel that his Chuubo counterpart is based more on interaction than some of its literary counterparts would make you believe: the Monk is certainly playable using these rules, but so is The Rats in the Wall by Lovecraft or even Pride and Prejudice, now that I think about it.
-Immersive Fantasy: the first part of Harry Potter, when Harry is still discovering all the wonders of the wizards' world, certainly qualifies. Other than that, I don't know.
-Techno: this is one of the genres that confuses me the most. I once saw an animation on Youtube featuring a woman who was supposed to erase a picture that I think was painted on the floor of some building, but ends up falling in it and befriending the chubby dragon who she almost cancelled; I guess that is the feeling it's aiming for?
-Road of Trials: this is an interlude sort of genre, when a character is at the very end of their rope, that is supposed to give away to another genre once the situation stabilizes. When Davos Seaworth is marooned on an island after the battle of King's Landing and hallucinates the gods refusing to help him because he let their idols burn is the first example that comes to mind.
-Fairy Tales: apart from Fairy tales themselves (Cinderella suffers a symbolical metamorphosis when she gets her nickname as a consequence of sleeping next to the hearth; she then does a very patient variant of Never Say Die! as she endures their abuse, then she suffers Trauma when they rip her dress to shreds, finally she suffers another Metamorphosis when she gets her glass slippers and the pumpkin couch) I have no idea.
-Epic Fantasy: Knights of the Round Table and the Homeric epics; various mythological tales and a couple of fairy tales with unusually large scope like The Death of Koschei the Deathless
-Adventure Fantasy: The average D&D game is probably some variant of this; possibly some episodes of the first seasons of Adventure Time.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
It's been a long while since I read Chuubo, but I always thought of Techno as intending to evoke the experience of playing a videogame, as it encourages you to separate "gameplay" from "cutscenes" and to play around with the formats: maybe you want a musical interlude as a cutscene, maybe you want different sorts of mini-games with separate rules from regular "gameplay", maybe at one point you're even picking options from a list of menus.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have a request of help aimed at people familiar with Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine.
I am trying once again to wrap my head around it, after a long pause wherein real life got in the way, as it often does. I'd like to get a definitive handle on genres, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some examples of them from other kinds of media? Here's what I've got, which isn't much:

-Pastoral: drawing a blank here, but interestingly the example of play I found is of a Pastoral game
-Gothic: this is a well documented genre, but I feel that his Chuubo counterpart is based more on interaction than some of its literary counterparts would make you believe: the Monk is certainly playable using these rules, but so is The Rats in the Wall by Lovecraft or even Pride and Prejudice, now that I think about it.
-Immersive Fantasy: the first part of Harry Potter, when Harry is still discovering all the wonders of the wizards' world, certainly qualifies. Other than that, I don't know.
-Techno: this is one of the genres that confuses me the most. I once saw an animation on Youtube featuring a woman who was supposed to erase a picture that I think was painted on the floor of some building, but ends up falling in it and befriending the chubby dragon who she almost cancelled; I guess that is the feeling it's aiming for?
-Road of Trials: this is an interlude sort of genre, when a character is at the very end of their rope, that is supposed to give away to another genre once the situation stabilizes. When Davos Seaworth is marooned on an island after the battle of King's Landing and hallucinates the gods refusing to help him because he let their idols burn is the first example that comes to mind.
-Fairy Tales: apart from Fairy tales themselves (Cinderella suffers a symbolical metamorphosis when she gets her nickname as a consequence of sleeping next to the hearth; she then does a very patient variant of Never Say Die! as she endures their abuse, then she suffers Trauma when they rip her dress to shreds, finally she suffers another Metamorphosis when she gets her glass slippers and the pumpkin couch) I have no idea.
-Epic Fantasy: Knights of the Round Table and the Homeric epics; various mythological tales and a couple of fairy tales with unusually large scope like The Death of Koschei the Deathless
-Adventure Fantasy: The average D&D game is probably some variant of this; possibly some episodes of the first seasons of Adventure Time.

Pastoral is definitely meant to emulate slice-of-life anime, maybe with some fantastical elements but not at all required. Something like Haibane Renmei is a great example of that (though that would also work for Gothic). Techno is... a strange name for the genre, but basically relates to fantasy stories which occasionally slide into metaphor and weird abstractions - anime like Revolutionary Girl Utena is a great example, as is Penguindrum. A few of its genres are only big in anime, but that's the kind of game it is.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I backed Chuubo's at first because it sounded like an awesome project, and then I got a chance to look at the documents and my eyes quickly glazed over and I had no idea what was going on, and ended up deciding to sit it out and maybe wait and check it out later down the line. Does anyone have any stories or accounts of the game in action?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I backed Chuubo's at first because it sounded like an awesome project, and then I got a chance to look at the documents and my eyes quickly glazed over and I had no idea what was going on, and ended up deciding to sit it out and maybe wait and check it out later down the line. Does anyone have any stories or accounts of the game in action?

My impression is that this is a common problem with people reading about this game; there are no less than two threads about this on RPG.net.

Flavivirus posted:

Pastoral is definitely meant to emulate slice-of-life anime, maybe with some fantastical elements but not at all required. Something like Haibane Renmei is a great example of that (though that would also work for Gothic). Techno is... a strange name for the genre, but basically relates to fantasy stories which occasionally slide into metaphor and weird abstractions - anime like Revolutionary Girl Utena is a great example, as is Penguindrum. A few of its genres are only big in anime, but that's the kind of game it is.

Ah, that might explain some of my confusion: I consume very little anime, so I might have never seen some of these genres in action.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I'm about half-a-dozen sessions into a Glass-Maker's Dragon campaign atm and it's pretty enjoyable! I think it was a mistake not to put the example characters into the core book, though - I wouldn't want to build a character without having examples to compare it to. The key thing to understanding Chuubo is that your skills and powers aren't that important to the game - the core loop is performing XP actions to further your quests to unlock new XP actions. I sketched this up a few weeks back:

Essentially if you think of quests as railroads players choose for themselves (i.e. I want to have *this* kind of story happen to me), let players request scenes to hit their XP conditions, and don't worry too much about providing challenge for the characters, it should work fine.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Pretty much all the examples for Techno are going to be anime, yeah, and Revolutionary Girl Utena is the master-key to the genre.

On a more suprising note, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic works very well as a Gothic game, because Gothic is basically "Pastoral plus someone losing their mind," which adequately describes pretty much any episode of that show, especially the ones focused on Twilight Sparkle.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dark Eye, Germany's most popular RPG, is being released in the States.

These are the same guys who have the new Torg license. Looks like they're making a good-sized push into the US market.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

On a more suprising note, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic works very well as a Gothic game, because Gothic is basically "Pastoral plus someone losing their mind," which adequately describes pretty much any episode of that show, especially the ones focused on Twilight Sparkle.

. . .

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

These are the same guys who have the new Torg license. Looks like they're making a good-sized push into the US market.

Hmmm, isn't that the RPG system Darklands on GoG.com is based on?

Or am I thinking of something else?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

The roll under skill with a d20 is interesting. Does anyone have experience with the system?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I never played The Dark Eye but I have it on good authority that, if you thought D&D was bad about "associated mechanics" and "historical accuracy", hoo boy, strap the gently caress in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's the fighter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm the "FaPs 2"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's the fighter.

Welp, got to hit the low-hanging fruit: I like how there is a Faps stat so I know how quickly our fighter can pound one out while he's waiting for the wizard to solve everything.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 29, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That skills block would be way better if it only listed the skills that don't have a rating of zero.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Fate Points (FaP) are a measure of a hero’s luck and the gods’ influence. FaP are the little bit of luck separating heroes from everyone else."

I'm guessing someone didn't do a "check for unfortunate terms" pass after the translation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sphere Lore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm guessing someone didn't do a "check for unfortunate terms" pass after the translation.

And God bless them for not doing so.

I really hope Spheres are some magical artifact integral to the setting and not how well you know round objects.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Orb lore........ Lmao.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

And God bless them for not doing so.

I really hope Spheres are some magical artifact integral to the setting and not how well you know round objects.
I hope it is specifically three dimensional objects whose outer points are all equidistant from the center.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

This fighter's exactly as good as dancing as they are at flying.

Also what the hell is a Gaukelei?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Either juggling, sleight-of-hand, or a Scrooge McDuck character.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Either juggling, sleight-of-hand, or a Scrooge McDuck character.

How bad is it that my mind went to "it must be an obscure name of an even more obscure medieval weapon no one actually used" way before it went to "wait, that might be untranslated German still"?

And I loving speak German.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Still looking over Feng Shui 2 and I'm wondering if I'm wrong in thinking the Everyday Hero playbook is kind of lovely. Like, it doesn't look like it gets enough to keep up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The big thing about this system as I understand it is... you know how D&D has setting specific books that give you an idea how the existing spells, items and so on fit into the setting. Maybe there's a specific school of magic unique to the setting. Or a prestige class or other character option that has entry requirements specific to that setting's background. Must worship this god, must join this order of knights.

DSA is like that all the time. The setting is the rules. Or rather, the rules are a description of the setting. There's hardly any separation going on save for the bare minimum you need to be able to treat it as a game. It's super grognardy and I'm looking forward to seeing it pop up in grogs.txt because I have no idea what they'll make of it. In theory it's exactly what they want, in practice it's not D&D and something new. Well, semi-new.

Also there's a spell that has no other effect than to bodily expose the target, so there's that to consider.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 29, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

Still looking over Feng Shui 2 and I'm wondering if I'm wrong in thinking the Everyday Hero playbook is kind of lovely. Like, it doesn't look like it gets enough to keep up.

There are a couple of subpar archetypes. Everyday Hero is one of them, Supernatural Creature is another. It's generally not a huge problem, but it can come up.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Covok posted:

Welp, got to hit the low-hanging fruit: I like how there is a Faps stat so I know how quickly our fighter can pound one out while he's waiting for the wizard to solve everything.

Roll your Body Control.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I am pleased the fighter knows about Gareth.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

The big thing about this system as I understand it is... you know how D&D has setting specific books that give you an idea how the existing spells, items and so on fit into the setting. Maybe there's a specific school of magic unique to the setting. Or a prestige class or other character option that has entry requirements specific to that setting's background. Must worship this god, must join this order of knights.

DSA is like that all the time. The setting is the rules. Or rather, the rules are a description of the setting. There's hardly any separation going on save for the bare minimum you need to be able to treat it as a game. It's super grognardy and I'm looking forward to seeing it pop up in grogs.txt because I have no idea what they'll make of it. In theory it's exactly what they want, in practice it's not D&D and something new. Well, semi-new.

Also there's a spell that has no other effect than to bodily expose the target, so there's that to consider.

It's by Germans.

Dec 26, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

DSA is like that all the time. The setting is the rules. Or rather, the rules are a description of the setting. There's hardly any separation going on save for the bare minimum you need to be able to treat it as a game.

That's a feature if anything.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

There are a couple of subpar archetypes. Everyday Hero is one of them, Supernatural Creature is another. It's generally not a huge problem, but it can come up.

How would one potentially go about buffing those to balance them out? I haven't read the rules closely yet but my book is coming and I am excite.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bodily expose? Like, make them naked? Or flip their body inside out?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

I am pleased the fighter knows about Gareth.
No, he knows about Gareth's area. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Bodily expose? Like, make them naked?
Every last stitch.

Apparently it's used by a specific type of mage who gains their powers through being abducted and raised by fey as a small child. I'm given to understand that this is the only way you would ever become one, and also that it happens often enough that the setting has found a word to describe them. Like, if I'm getting this right, if you want to play that kind of mage, that's your backstory, period.

• Locked thread