Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sire Oblivion posted:

So the key is the same for everyone? I'm confused. How do you do a clean install in the case for when you want to format? Does 10 not ask you for a product key (or do you use your old 7/8/8.1 key?) when you do a fresh install?

According to Microsoft here:

quote:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RangerAce posted:

I think it might be creating a machine-specific key and when you install on that same machine again, it will always reactivate without issue because the machine key will match up with what they have on record.

it'll be interesting to know how this translates if you do an install after your hd fails, and have since replaced some of the hardware (e.g. a graphics card upgrade, more RAM)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

macnbc posted:

I dunno if you can call getting a third party AV a "mistake" with Defender's poor scoring in tests.

Granted, there are plenty of great free AV tools out there. But Microsoft's isn't one of them.

Test scores are useless without methodology. Even the site it comes from doesn't talk about the state of Windows itself (or if it does it hides it well). And considering until about a year and a half ago AV-Conparatives spoke unabashedly about using naked Windows 7 SP1 and that 90% of securing Windows is software updates, we're going to need to take this with an ocean of salt.

Also anyone trying to infect your system will be throwing their payload at VirusTotal or something until it comes up all-clear; your AV won't stand a chance.

And see this thread on computer security.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Don Lapre posted:

You do a windows reset, not a format. Though apparently once you have upgraded windows 10 from an activated windows 7 or 8. you can format and reinstall, then skip the key entry and it will activate.. apparently.

Yeah I'm sorta confused on this. I'm going to buy an 850 EVO in a day or so. I upgraded from 8.1 (from a clean legit 8 install) to the RTM of 10 a few days ago. How will I clean install on the new SSD?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah I'm sorta confused on this. I'm going to buy an 850 EVO in a day or so. I upgraded from 8.1 (from a clean legit 8 install) to the RTM of 10 a few days ago. How will I clean install on the new SSD?

use a win 10 iso

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

So if I want to install 10 to a completely new drive it sounds like I'm supposed to first upgrade to 10 from an activated 7/8 on my current drive. Then create a disk from the windows download tool, as well as a bootable USB stick (do I need this if I burn the ISO to a disk?). Then I swap in my new drive and boot to my new windows 10 disk. When installing, apparently they won't ask for a key since my hardware is linked w/ a legit key.

That sounds about right?

edit:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I ordered an 850 EVO for Win10 as well :hfive:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pawn 17 posted:

So if I want to install 10 to a completely new drive it sounds like I'm supposed to first upgrade to 10 from an activated 7/8 on my current drive. Then create a disk from the windows download tool, as well as a bootable USB stick (do I need this if I burn the ISO to a disk?). Then I swap in my new drive and boot to my new windows 10 disk. When installing, apparently they won't ask for a key since my hardware is linked w/ a legit key.

That sounds about right?

You need to EITHER create a disk or a USB stick, not both. Otherwise, yes, that should work. Theoretically.

EDIT: Also it will ask for a key during the install prompts but you can just leave it empty and skip it. According to Microsoft it'll activate automatically once online.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 29, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

macnbc posted:

Wonder what machine ID they use for this.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

macnbc posted:

You need to EITHER create a disk or a USB stick, not both. Otherwise, yes, that should work. Theoretically.

OK, I thought that sounded weird. Thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got the Windows 10 Setup box on-screen by using the download tool and it claims to be downloading the OS, but it's been stuck at 0% for the past hour and a half and I've got no network activity other than when I'm loading webpages. Telling it to stop so I can try again leaves the program sitting there on my desktop, still running and refusing to quit. Is there anything I can do about that?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

macnbc posted:

That covers the upgrade part, but I'm more concerned about this:

univbee posted:

it'll be interesting to know how this translates if you do an install after your hd fails, and have since replaced some of the hardware (e.g. a graphics card upgrade, more RAM)

If my HD fails or Windows becomes inoperable and formatting is my only option to get my system back, how do I activate 10? I assume by hitting Skip Windows will check the hardware and self-activate but what if I change parts down the line? It's really confusing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've tried installing from both the downloaded Windows Update files and also a USB key created with Microsoft's tool but I keep getting this:

Key is legit but I had to phone the Windows activation number last time I reinstalled. Am I poo poo out of luck? Can't find an option for phone activation this time..

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

blunt posted:

I've tried installing from both the downloaded Windows Update files and also a USB key created with Microsoft's tool but I keep getting this:

Key is legit but I had to phone the Windows activation number last time I reinstalled. Am I poo poo out of luck? Can't find an option for phone activation this time..

Where did you get a windows 10 product key?

If installing within windows you should be installing via a legit windows 7 or 8/8.1 and it should never ask for a key.

if you are booting off a windows 10 usb/dvd and you have previously upgraded the same computer to windows 10 from a legit 7/8/8.1 then it will have a skip option when it comes to the key entry.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sire Oblivion posted:

If my HD fails or Windows becomes inoperable and formatting is my only option to get my system back, how do I activate 10? I assume by hitting Skip Windows will check the hardware and self-activate but what if I change parts down the line? It's really confusing.

That is a magic question and Microsoft hasn't provided firm answers on that.

How it's worked in the past if you've got a non-OEM copy of Windows and upgrade enough parts it might cause Windows to de-activate and require reauthorization, which is usually done via an automated phone system.
If that will still apply to Windows 10, nobody knows.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
And even after listing my epson printer as do not install on that updates tool somehow its magically reinstalled the printer along with the additional crapware. :thumbsup:

I cant wait to replace this old rear end laptop with a Macbook pro.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Where did you get a windows 10 product key?

I didn't, I've been putting in my Windows 7 key. This is launching the installer from within Windows 7 (I get the same thing whether I launch from a USB I've created with the Microsoft tool or launching from the $Windows.~WS directory that Windows Update downloaded).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

macnbc posted:

How it's worked in the past if you've got a non-OEM copy of Windows and upgrade enough parts it might cause Windows to de-activate and require reauthorization, which is usually done via an automated phone system.
If that will still apply to Windows 10, nobody knows.

Thats how it worked on OEM copies as well. To clarify, there is no difference technically with OEM and retail product keys.

blunt posted:

I didn't, I've been putting in my Windows 7 key. This is launching the installer from within Windows 7 (I get the same thing whether I launch from a USB I've created with the Microsoft tool or launching from the $Windows.~WS directory that Windows Update downloaded).

Is your copy of windows 7 legit and activated? It shouldn't ask for a key. Are you installing 10 pro over 7 home, or 10 home over 7 pro?

that would also cause it.

Make sure you are installing the same version of windows you currently have activated and installed.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I think we need a new thread with some instructions and a faq

This thread is going round in circles now

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Sire Oblivion posted:

That covers the upgrade part, but I'm more concerned about this:

I've read the free upgrade converts your Windows 10 install to an OEM install. Everybody that upgrades has the same key, but when Windows 10 activates it sends the hardware profile to Microsoft. If you reinstall Windows 10 it will check that hardware profile vs. your computer and if it's the same it will activate without a key. If it's too different you'll need to buy a key.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Thats how it worked on OEM copies as well. To clarify, there is no difference technically with OEM and retail product keys.

Is your copy of windows 7 legit and activated? It shouldn't ask for a key. Are you installing 10 pro over 7 home, or 10 home over 7 pro?

that would also cause it.

Make sure you are installing the same version of windows you currently have activated and installed.

Legit and activated, though I had to call the activation phone number last time. Win 7 Pro 64bit OEM, I'm assuming the version Windows Update downloaded is the same. The USB version I did from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 :/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

blunt posted:

Legit and activated, though I had to call the activation phone number last time. Win 7 Pro 64bit OEM, I'm assuming the version Windows Update downloaded is the same. The USB version I did from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 :/

When you run the media creator it asks if you want to do 10 or 10 pro. Did you choose 10 pro x64?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

When you run the media creator it asks if you want to do 10 or 10 pro. Did you choose 10 pro x64?

No idea, time to do it again!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm curious: why even have the option to have ads beamed at you from the start menu if it can be toggled off? Is Microsoft just counting on people being too stupid to turn it off?

No normal person likes ads, is this just a revenue stream from the computer illiterate?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

I'm curious: why even have the option to have ads beamed at you from the start menu if it can be toggled off? Is Microsoft just counting on people being too stupid to turn it off?

No normal person likes ads, is this just a revenue stream from the computer illiterate?

Basically? Yeah. Why do TV channels still have ads if people can fast-forward through them? Why do websites still have ads if you can just get an AdBlock extension?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I didn't see them there or realize you can turn them off. I've got so used to not using the start menu!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just to clarify:

Downloaded the MS media creator tool, created USB install media (upgrade now wouldn't work)
Installed using media
Used the tool posted I think on the last page (third party) to get the key.
"Keep everything" left some poo poo on my C drive so I used the media to reinstall with that key
Working so far!

Installed on my SP3 as well but allowed it to retain stuff, wont bother with the clean install with that. How come it wont rotate though? (Its in tablet mode)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

What about a key though, that's my question. Is the key shown on System Properties the actual 10 key, or still the generic RTM key?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What about a key though, that's my question. Is the key shown on System Properties the actual 10 key, or still the generic RTM key?

It's not an actual key. MS has said that if you did the free upgrade offer then you won't have a key.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yaos posted:

I've read the free upgrade converts your Windows 10 install to an OEM install. Everybody that upgrades has the same key, but when Windows 10 activates it sends the hardware profile to Microsoft. If you reinstall Windows 10 it will check that hardware profile vs. your computer and if it's the same it will activate without a key. If it's too different you'll need to buy a key.

So if I upgrade "too much" of my hardware I have to buy another copy of Windows? That seems really loving dumb. Wouldn't tying the Windows 10 Key to the Microsoft Account be a better way of doing poo poo?

edit: Maybe I should just by a drat copy of Windows 10 and avoid this headache, christ almighty.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 29, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

macnbc posted:

It's not an actual key. MS has said that if you did the free upgrade offer then you won't have a key.

Oh. That's interesting then. So I guess I'm stuck relying on hardware identification then? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just confused how this plays out in regards to upgrading hardware

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

So if I upgrade "too much" of my hardware I have to buy another copy of Windows? That seems really loving dumb. Wouldn't tying the Windows 10 Key to the Microsoft Account be a better way of doing poo poo?

Yes it would, but Microsoft wouldn't make money that way.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

So if I upgrade "too much" of my hardware I have to buy another copy of Windows? That seems really loving dumb.

If it's anything like previous versions of Windows, as long as you keep the same motherboard it won't care.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is not confirmed still.

It's possible you could just call Microsoft back up and have them reactivate the key, same as its always been. It's possible that it's like you describe. Microsoft simply hasn't said one way or another.
Any non-MS site saying they know without sourcing it is likely just speculating.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
How the poo poo is RSAT not done by release day :mad: I like it otherwise. Voice control has come a long way since 9926

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Roargasm posted:

How the poo poo is RSAT not done by release day :mad:

Has RSAT ever been done on release day? Hell I remember when Windows 7 SP1 came out and there was a month or two where if you wanted RSAT you had to install without SP1, install RSAT, and then install SP1, but couldn't install RSAT directly on Windows 7 after SP1 was put on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

repiv posted:

If it's anything like previous versions of Windows, as long as you keep the same motherboard it won't care.

If that's all it is I'm ok with it, but more than that ugh.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MY ABACUS! posted:

Is the Store app still only going to show these mobile-style apps and no desktop apps in Windows 10? If so, doesn't this just further establish the fragmented ecosystem?

No the Store is going to host all kinds of apps, also regular old desktop ones. It's one thing Microsoft worked on exactly to avoid that problem.
And it sounds pretty great actually.

They made an "app model" that makes it possible to package Win32 software into packages that can be installed and uninstalled safely, and work isolated from each other. That means that store apps will never be able to trample on each others' settings, nor make any really global changes to your system. They run sort-of sandboxed, except it doesn't look like that from inside the box, so most things can just be made work as-is.

But since the store has just opened there won't be a whole lot in it yet.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
I have a Win7 license but it's not currently installed. Do I need to install Win7 first on my computer, then upgrade to 10, or is there a way to just obtain a Windows 10 license without installing 7/8 first?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You have to install 7 first, activate it, and then run the 10 installer from within 7, which will give you an option to clean install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Guess I wasn't in the first wave of Windows 10 updates, and I really don't feel like downloading that tool to make an iso. Oh well.

• Locked thread