Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Luckily it will be available for 24 hours after airing, so you should be able to catch what you missed. Marco and Guthrie had a tour obligation with their band The Aristocrats so they couldn't make the Western Hemisphere leg of the tour. Their temporary replacements are Dave Kilminster (played with Roger Waters on his many tours doing The Wall) on guitar and Craig Blundell (instructional video and drum clinic guy) on drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Ah. Thanks!

On a different note:
I was able to see Rush in Chicago on Friday, and it was a drat good show! There was a fair amount of theater involved (much more than usual), but it didn't detract or distract from the music. Earlier in the tour, Geddy would sing bits of Cygnus X-1, and Hemispheres, but I guess it was a bit much for his vocal chords because they're both played instrumentally now - and I can't get upset about that. Those vocals could break glass back in 77/78 as it was! It was the best show I'd seen them put on.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Iucounu posted:

So I caught the Steven Wilson gig in Mesa yesterday. It was by far the best show I've ever seen. If you get a chance to catch the tour you really should, it was incredible.

I saw him at The Wiltern last night and I agree, I think it was even better than the couple of PT shows Ive been to.

The visuals were really cool, Wilson was energized, crowd was lethargic at best.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Iucounu posted:

Luckily it will be available for 24 hours after airing, so you should be able to catch what you missed. Marco and Guthrie had a tour obligation with their band The Aristocrats so they couldn't make the Western Hemisphere leg of the tour. Their temporary replacements are Dave Kilminster (played with Roger Waters on his many tours doing The Wall) on guitar and Craig Blundell (instructional video and drum clinic guy) on drums.

Dammit, missed this! Blunders is an awesome drummer: check out his work with Frost*, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cM3rocbCpk

Is there any chance the Steven Wilson gig will be re-replayed?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Went to see Steven Wilson tonight in Portland. Missed the first five songs, which sucks, but I came in just as they started Index, so I'm okay with it.

Unbelievable show. The new stuff sounds so good live, and the songs from Raven just never get old no matter what. Title track from that album is just heartbreakingly beautiful in a live setting.

Ugh, what a great show.

Next up: Rush!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Went to see Steven Wilson tonight in Portland. Missed the first five songs, which sucks, but I came in just as they started Index, so I'm okay with it.

Unbelievable show. The new stuff sounds so good live, and the songs from Raven just never get old no matter what. Title track from that album is just heartbreakingly beautiful in a live setting.

Ugh, what a great show.

Next up: Rush!

I had never seen the visuals before for the Raven That Refused To Sing or for Routine and both were a major departure from what I was expecting and were really good (mainly just visuals from H.C.E.).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I was also at the Portland show and I agree, it was incredible. I was kind of on the fence about Hand. Cannot. Erase. (ugh what a stupid title), hearing it live though made me love the songs more than I ever did listening to the album. Songs off Raven and even the Porcupine Tree songs were a bonus (Sleep Together and Lazarus). Great show.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Both John Wetton and Geoff Downes have tweeted this morning that Chris Squire passed away. Nothing official yet, but it doesn't look good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

Both John Wetton and Geoff Downes have tweeted this morning that Chris Squire passed away. Nothing official yet, but it doesn't look good.

Well I imagine they wouldn't tweet it if they hadn't heard :smith:
Chris Squire is one of my favorite bass players of all time and one of the biggest influences on my playing. I'm glad I at least saw him with Yes last year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

From Yes' official Facebook:

quote:

It’s with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. Chris peacefully passed away last night in Phoenix Arizona, in the arms of his loving wife Scotty.
For the entirety of Yes’ existence, Chris was the band’s linchpin and, in so many ways, the glue that held it together over all these years. Because of his phenomenal bass-playing prowess, Chris influenced countless bassists around the world, including many of today’s well-known artists. Chris was also a fantastic songwriter, having written and co-written much of Yes’ most endearing music, as well as his solo album, Fish Out of Water.
Outside of Yes, Chris was a loving h usband to Scotty and father to Carmen, Chandrika, Camille, Cameron, and Xilan. With his gentle, easy-going nature, Chris was a great friend of many … including each of us. But he wasn’t merely our friend: he was also part of our family and we shall forever love and miss him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Those are some prog-rear end names for a couple of those children.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He had pancreatic cancer, right?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

He had pancreatic cancer, right?

Leukemia.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Getting sick sucks.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

A big loss for the music world as a whole. Squire was at the forefront of the prog rock scene, but his musical sensibilities also influenced early heavy metal acts and even later progressive metal acts like Dream Theater and Opeth. May his memory be eternal.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 29, 2015

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sad. Just listened to Wilsons remaster of Relayer over the weekend so it was weird timing for me.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Yeah it was weird for me too, finding out that he died. My band just recorded a track on thursday that I played bass on. Very rarely do I play bass, but I did on this song, and I played with a pick. The guys in the band made fun of me for using a pick but I told them that I was a big Yes fan and Chris Squire was a big inspiration for me. I did a lot of Squire inspired fast picking during the jam section.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Squire is the guy who inspired me to become a musician back when I was 11. RIP :(

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
He was absolutely one of the best rock bassists of all time. The music world wouldn't be the same without him, and he'll be sorely missed. Man, such a bummer... :(

Still remember hearing Heart of the Sunrise and Close to the Edge for the first time and being completely blown away. Those songs still blow me away, actually.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
tribute to Chris Squire on my radio show right now.

http://www.wusb.fm

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gianthogweed posted:

:wave: Oh hey, I didn't know we had more Long Islanders in this thread! :wave:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gianthogweed posted:

Oh cool, that's my favorite radio station. Didn't see this early enough though :(

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Scotland Squire posted on Facebook that Chris will be cremated at 3 pm local time in Pheonix, AZ. Set your alarms or schedules accordingly.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

A buddy recommended I listen to Fish Out Of Water (which I never have). I will begin playing in at 3!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's one album I listened to once and never had an urge to listen to again.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

That's one album I listened to once and never had an urge to listen to again.

The first two tracks are excellent, you have to admit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I couldn't tell you, I bought it 20 years ago.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I tried to listen to Tales From and couldnt get into that either (The album artwork is actually better than the music)

Relayer and Close to the Edge are classics imo

add the Yes album to that one too

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 1, 2015

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Noise Machine posted:

Lucky Seven (track 4) is pretty great, cheesy soprano sax solo and all. Some nice drum work from Bruford.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
man, Yezda Urfa are loving fantastic

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
hah! indeed - what a hidden gem that turned out to be

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Gamma Nerd posted:

man, Yezda Urfa are loving fantastic

They are. I was at this and it was one of the best sets of the festival.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Went to see Rush for the first time tonight in Portland. Glad I finally got to see them, but my christ those fellas are old. Geddy was clearly straining a lot, but still rips poo poo on bass, Alex flubbed a few times... Neil was mostly on point, but just looked kinda bored, even during an amazing solo. Maybe he was always like that.

They played some new songs to start, and then time travelled backward through the two sets, ending with them having amps on chairs in a high school gym. Played some really amazing tunes from the good old days. Lots of nostalgia inducing imagery, and had various celebrities doing the breakdown on Roll The Bones, which was fun.

Overall, despite the hiccups here and there, it was a solid show. Considered them a band that I would probably never get to see, so if this really is their last tour, I'm very glad I went.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Neil was mostly on point, but just looked kinda bored, even during an amazing solo. Maybe he was always like that.

He's a dude who always looks like he's doing his taxes behind a drum kit.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cheating the Polygraph by Gavin Harrison is pretty sweet. Just letting you know

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

Cheating the Polygraph by Gavin Harrison is pretty sweet. Just letting you know

Its def not what you would expect.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

spiralbrain posted:

Its def not what you would expect.

which is what makes it good. if it was just some PT songs played unchanged with brass instruments it would be rather boring, but the different arrangements and mood changes keep it interesting. also Harrisons drumming is superb.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm just diving into prog rock, and could use some guidance. I have a copy of Brain Salad Surgery I picked up back in the day, and I've liked the prog stuff I've heard around. I've got some King Crimson on the way, any other consensus on where a good place to start is, or is it going to be 50 different answers from 50 different people? I tried reading the start of the thread to get some idea, but that was most definitely everybody recommending different personal faves.

I'm generally pretty laid back in my musical tastes, I'd prefer stuff a little more synthy compared to just slightly more improv-y rock.

surc fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Listen to Gentle Giant because they're loving awesome. I think Octopus is probably their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

surc posted:

I'm just diving into prog rock, and could use some guidance. I have a copy of Brain Salad Surgery I picked up back in the day, and I've liked the prog stuff I've heard around. I've got some King Crimson on the way, any other consensus on where a good place to start is, or is it going to be 50 different answers from 50 different people? I tried reading the start of the thread to get some idea, but that was most definitely everybody recommending different personal faves.

I'm generally pretty laid back in my musical tastes, I'd prefer stuff a little more synthy compared to just slightly more improv-y rock.

Here is a concise list of important progressive bands and one album you should listen to by them:

Yes- Fragile
Jethro Tull- Aqualung
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound
Rush- Moving Pictures
Gentle Giant- Octopus
Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
Camel- Mirage
Caravan- In the Land of Grey and Pink

Those are listed roughly in order of radness so start at the beginning. If a particular band speaks to you ask for more suggestions from their discographies. The kingdom of prog is fraught with land mines and turds released by otherwise great bands.