Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks for the answers guys maybe I can pick up new vegas after this and try to wait for a price drop on 4. Between that and 2k in September hopefully I can have the patience of an actual grownup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Things normal people know about Boston: Harvard, MIT, that tea party thing, everyone who lives there has some kind of atrocious speech impediment, More Than A Feeling, they have kind of signature pie?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One thing a lot of people recommend is getting New Vegas and then the mod Tales of Two Wastelands. It essentially puts Fallout 3 in New Vegas's engine and helps make it more stable while integrating the content so you can experience both with the same character.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've only been to Boston once and the thing that always comes immediately to mind is this giant macaroni statue I saw.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the_american_dream posted:

Just chiming in to say I somehow have just discovered Fallout 3 and it so ridiculously my poo poo and type of game that I'm kind of glad I'll be putting 1000 hours in this just in time for 4 to come out. :allears:

How's New Vegas compared to 3? I see its a split all over the Internet so I'm honestly not trying to rehash a thing but basically if i love 3 will i love new Vegas

New Vegas is much better than Fallout 3, but it is good that you are playing 3 first because that's a very excellent game and you have not been spoiled by NV yet. I personally loved Fallout 3 when it first came out, but going back to it after playing New Vegas is painful. I recently (because of this thread) went and tried Fallout 3 again, and it just feels shallow and lifeless.

Random poo poo spawns in the wilds with no rhyme or reason, and every enemy is a bullet sponge. In New Vegas if I hit someone in the head with a rifle they typically die, in Fallout 3 I can unload reams of machine gun fire into random Raiders/Slaves and they just keep on trucking. All of the factions are disconnected, and don't interact with each other for no apparent reason. Having no durability buffer is maddening, I feel like I need to repair my weapon after every single fire fight. You get one perk per level, but all the perks are boring and terrible (+5 to a skill woo!). Worst of all, all the junk in the world is worthless scenery. I found myself picking up wrenches and duct tapes (to make weapon repair kits) and had to stop myself, as those items are just worthless junk in Fallout 3 (like most objects). In New Vegas all that junk has been rolled into various crafting recipes, so everything is useful.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Just play through FO3 and then NW vanilla. You can get mods, and some (a lot) of them are really nice, but if you're like me you'll end up spending a couple weeks just stuffing mods in and getting them to work and not actually playing the game :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

She's invented the post apocalyptic twitter, her emergent quests is taking selfies with random super mutants.

Having seen the Winder Waker HD LP I would unironically love for this to be a mechanic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

New Vegas is much better than Fallout 3, but it is good that you are playing 3 first because that's a very excellent game and you have not been spoiled by NV yet. I personally loved Fallout 3 when it first came out, but going back to it after playing New Vegas is painful. I recently (because of this thread) went and tried Fallout 3 again, and it just feels shallow and lifeless.

Random poo poo spawns in the wilds with no rhyme or reason, and every enemy is a bullet sponge. In New Vegas if I hit someone in the head with a rifle they typically die, in Fallout 3 I can unload reams of machine gun fire into random Raiders/Slaves and they just keep on trucking. All of the factions are disconnected, and don't interact with each other for no apparent reason. Having no durability buffer is maddening, I feel like I need to repair my weapon after every single fire fight. You get one perk per level, but all the perks are boring and terrible (+5 to a skill woo!). Worst of all, all the junk in the world is worthless scenery. I found myself picking up wrenches and duct tapes (to make weapon repair kits) and had to stop myself, as those items are just worthless junk in Fallout 3 (like most objects). In New Vegas all that junk has been rolled into various crafting recipes, so everything is useful.

I recently played 3 before NV and I agree 100%. Apart from what he mentioned, NV has on the order of several hundred unique guns, and 3 has... 10? I was working with a semi-auto shotgun from near the start of the game with the idea of upgrading (because I was remembering how it was in NV), and slowly came to realize that the semi-auto shotgun was pretty much the end of the line for my character outside of looking up the nearly identical 'unique' semi-auto shotgun.

People laud the world and exploration, but it's usually thin as poo poo. You go somewhere and something nonsensical and wacky happens, and you maybe get a few meaningless caps and ammo as a reward.

This isn't even getting into the storyline.

With all that being said, it looks like Bethesda has really improved their design philosophy over the past few years. Skyrim still had a lot of Bethsoft problems, but if FO4 is Skyrim quality then I can't see myself complaining much.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Just play through FO3 and then NW vanilla. You can get mods, and some (a lot) of them are really nice, but if you're like me you'll end up spending a couple weeks just stuffing mods in and getting them to work and not actually playing the game :negative:

I've a friend who does that with all Bethesda games. Something about them just makes her keep adding mod after mod after mod of every single variety, trying to make the game "perfect" somehow. I think she started playing Skyrim a few weeks back and she still hasn't reached level 5, since she keeps restarting and adding more mods. Or removing them so the game actually runs again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

sector_corrector posted:

I recently played 3 before NV and I agree 100%. Apart from what he mentioned, NV has on the order of several hundred unique guns, and 3 has... 10? I was working with a semi-auto shotgun from near the start of the game with the idea of upgrading (because I was remembering how it was in NV), and slowly came to realize that the semi-auto shotgun was pretty much the end of the line for my character outside of looking up the nearly identical 'unique' semi-auto shotgun.

People laud the world and exploration, but it's usually thin as poo poo. You go somewhere and something nonsensical and wacky happens, and you maybe get a few meaningless caps and ammo as a reward.

This isn't even getting into the storyline.

With all that being said, it looks like Bethesda has really improved their design philosophy over the past few years. Skyrim still had a lot of Bethsoft problems, but if FO4 is Skyrim quality then I can't see myself complaining much.

Honestly I'm kind of expecting FO4 to be a stripped-down shallow-story although mechanically improved game, similar to how FO3 was.

Looking forward to the Obsidian 'sequel' that actually has an interesting plot and setting...

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

evilmiera posted:

I've a friend who does that with all Bethesda games. Something about them just makes her keep adding mod after mod after mod of every single variety, trying to make the game "perfect" somehow. I think she started playing Skyrim a few weeks back and she still hasn't reached level 5, since she keeps restarting and adding more mods. Or removing them so the game actually runs again.

She needs to run through Skyrim Revisited; it's a great way to learn how to smooth over mod conflicts and gain an understanding of how things work (or don't) together.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crabtree posted:

Also why should I give a poo poo about Piper when they don't tell us if she has a 50s news editor voice or not or if we can turn her rag into the National Inquirer?

Wait a minute.

Piper asks you if you "support the news." She also indicates she has a brother. We know Three Dog's actor is in the game. Three Dog also made a big deal about the news.

I'm calling it. Piper is Three Dog's sister, fighting the Good Fight, but with a newspaper instead of radio. And maybe a baseball bat.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Honestly I'm kind of expecting FO4 to be a stripped-down shallow-story although mechanically improved game, similar to how FO3 was.

Looking forward to the Obsidian 'sequel' that actually has an interesting plot and setting...

I'm hoping for Fallout:Atlanta.

You've got the biggest aquarium in the world. Headquarters for Coca-Cola Nuka-Cola, Chick-Fil-A, Hooters, CNN, Delta, the CDC, Home Depot, etc, so you could come up with a lot of stuff to explore.

However, the biggest draw would be the first DLC - Burned Steel. Join forces with Sherman Prime to raze the whole place to the ground, then go for a nice, refreshing swim in Confederate tears.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

JackBadass posted:

I liked "The Nanny". She was from Boston, right?

The flashy girl from Flushing?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Well if we're being honest any city outside of NYC is going to fail the 'internationally recognizable' test pretty bad. Even LA which pumps out most of the world's pop culture has only a handful of recognizable landmarks, even though its a massive metropolitan area. Hell the only reason anybody outside of California knows what Santa Monica pier looks like is because of VtM: Bloodlines.

If the question is 'why use this city, and not that one?' it's for broad thematic reasons. Personally I'm hoping Boston's signature 'complete rear end in a top hat to outsiders' thing comes through.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lotish posted:

Wait a minute.

Piper asks you if you "support the news." She also indicates she has a brother. We know Three Dog's actor is in the game. Three Dog also made a big deal about the news.

I'm calling it. Piper is Three Dog's sister, fighting the Good Fight, but with a newspaper instead of radio. And maybe a baseball bat.

In the same vein that Three Dog's justification for his nom de guerre revealed more about him being jet-addled retard who barked like a dog than why he actually chose the name ("Because one dog ain't enough, and two is too low, it's me, Three Dog!"), Piper is likely going to use Skyrim's conversation mechanics to slither up to the player while she regales them with a "Chinese Whispers" retelling of The Pied Piper.

"There's an old story about a man who blew on a flute...he loved children above all else. One day, he grew very angry with the world and...blew a magic song on his flute, luring all the town's children to his hiding spot in the jungle. My flute may only be a newspaper, but I love children above all else...and my words will lure them away from the wickedness of this world."

In two or three years, Adam Sessler will recall this story as "a beautiful moment when history and video games were brought together."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 29, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Southern gothic would be my preferred FO:4 Obsidian setting.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lotish posted:

Oh cool so at least she'll be actually doing something, a big improvement over her brother I say :argh:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Boston is where the Boondock Saints lived, any fool knows that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

sector_corrector posted:

Southern gothic would be my preferred FO:4 Obsidian setting.

if they're going to get to build on their own canon, i would think it'd be cool to set a game in the AZ / NM / Mexico area where the Legion is purported to hold sway, and set the game right after the Courier slays Cesar and the second battle of hoover dam. basically the legion's entire power structure is hosed up and they start to break back into their individual tribes as different factions fight for power and all of the other wastelanders finally have a fighting chance at throwing off the shackles of the legion. the main character can be a slave who escapes during one of the raids / riots and you can eventually wipe the legion out completely or possibly work your way up the ranks and remake the legion in your own image

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

homeless poster posted:

if they're going to get to build on their own canon, i would think it'd be cool to set a game in the AZ / NM / Mexico area where the Legion is purported to hold sway, and set the game right after the Courier slays Cesar and the second battle of hoover dam. basically the legion's entire power structure is hosed up and they start to break back into their individual tribes as different factions fight for power and all of the other wastelanders finally have a fighting chance at throwing off the shackles of the legion. the main character can be a slave who escapes during one of the raids / riots and you can eventually wipe the legion out completely or possibly work your way up the ranks and remake the legion in your own image

That would be fun too. Their West is a really rich setting, but I'd like to see new locations (like windswept prairies, pacific coast pine forests, or an irradiated hell-swamp).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I would like to see Dogtown attempted.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Boston is just as good a setting for a Fallout game as Vegas and Washington were. As long as there are tricorne hats. I want to be Sam Adams the blade runner.

big mean giraffe posted:

I would like to see Dogtown attempted.

Denver would be rad as gently caress, yeah, but didn't the Legion ransack it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homeless poster posted:

NCR victory is the least interesting victory for the story though. I'd much prefer to see what the world looks like in the NCR in the aftermath of Caesars Victory :hist101:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A House ending where House is still alive, but completely insane would own.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
They really dropped the ball by not putting vehicles in this one. Boston is the perfect place to introduce cars, they wouldn't have to program the AI to pay attention to any other car on the road.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

frajaq posted:

Fallout 4 will introduce us a first in the history of gaming: mod piracy

It's already here. :getin: (if inactive for now).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nevets posted:

They really dropped the ball by not putting vehicles in this one. Boston is the perfect place to introduce cars, they wouldn't have to program the AI to pay attention to any other car on the road.

They would be hosed for not being Mad Max/Fury Road no matter what they did if they attempted vehicles. But maybe someone can use their creation engine to mod a way to basically building a car from such-in-such parts.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Just play through FO3 and then NW vanilla. You can get mods, and some (a lot) of them are really nice, but if you're like me you'll end up spending a couple weeks just stuffing mods in and getting them to work and not actually playing the game:negative:

Bethesdagames.txt.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Holy poo poo, all this only for that very short period with Skyrim paid mods? :psyduck:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
As far as I can tell people dislike paid mods because they are expected to pay for goods and services.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just found it stupid because it was obvious Bethesda and Valve just wanted some money for doing absolutely nothing, considering that you only got 25% of what was paid.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
That's different than any other game on steam? Also Beth was taking ~50% which seem reasonable seeing as they made the game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

looks like we got a paid mod apologist here.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The real problem with paid mods is that it opens up way too many problems and it needs some manner of order over mods, but not sure even that would work.

I mean, would you pay money for re-balance or bug-fixing mods even when people worked hard on them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paid mods are a good idea in theory but the actual execution needed a whole lot of work. A whooooole lot of work. Also not screwing over the mod makers.

Bholder posted:

I mean, would you pay money for re-balance or bug-fixing mods even when people worked hard on them?

Re-balancing? Sure, if a good job was done on them, I'd pay for it. Something like DmC: Definitive Edition effectively charged for a full-game rebalancing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

sparatuvs posted:

As far as I can tell people dislike paid mods because they are expected to pay for goods and services.

There were legal issues as well, as some mods required others to function whose creators expressly forbid their stuff being used for resale, on top the other major issues such turning an almost exclusively community based hobby into a competitive market, no quality control on mod even working, little to no means of preventing people from steal others work in an already dense copyright legality clusterfuck, etc.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
The mods for skyrim needed to be approved by Valve, I imagine any copyright infringing mod wouldn't.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
They could just hire modders to make DLC for them, giving them extra support and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, there's almost nothing written about New York in the Fallout world. That's a daunting task to take on for a developer, though.

• Locked thread