Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whatever, Safari isn't beachballing me now so it's good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Oh hey schedule is back up.

Wow, I'll actually be up on time to watch Human Revolution.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Is it just me or is the constant "you shouldn't applaud for that, i should have done better, i should be faster" really annoying

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Weirdly enough, my Livestreamer feed is a little behind the HTML5 stream when I put them side by side. The both of them are definitely better than the normal Twitch stream, that's for sure.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Jia posted:

Is it just me or is the constant "you shouldn't applaud for that, i should have done better, i should be faster" really annoying

It is but that's what it takes to be a top speedrunner I guess.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jia posted:

it's

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They're beating a Sonic game by using unsigned integers.

This is amazing.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pentyne posted:

They're beating a Sonic game by using unsigned integers.

This is amazing.

wut

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jia posted:

Yep, and it's something that's been brought up numerous times after previous *GDQs. Basically the runners have been asked to remain positive throughout their run, because their negativity really kills the hoype momentum.

E:

The level wraps the runners are doing are a result of unsigned integers in the programming. Basically positive numbers only. They make it so that the game tries to push them out of an obstacle, but in such a way that it makes their location -x,y. Because the programming only uses positive numbers, that -x turns into the maximum value x could have, essentially going from the extreme left side of the level to the extreme right side.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

The level wraps the runners are doing are a result of unsigned integers in the programming. Basically positive numbers only. They make it so that the game tries to push them out of an obstacle, but in such a way that it makes their location -x,y. Because the programming only uses positive numbers, that -x turns into the maximum value x could have, essentially going from the extreme left side of the level to the extreme right side.

wut

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yep, and it's something that's been brought up numerous times after previous *GDQs. Basically the runners have been asked to remain positive throughout their run, because their negativity really kills the hoype momentum.
Yeah, this.

Also a lot of the newer faces are going pretty heavy on pointing out when they're using slower, safer strats instead of faster, way riskier strats. The only people who would even notice if they didn't say anything are other runners, and even then, only the handful who know the route/strats for the game in question. Pointing it out only serves to let people know you're holding back instead of showing them the real deal holyfield.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Velocity Raptor posted:

That is amazing

I'm a software dev and understand all that, I just wasn't paying attention to the stream

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I missed the part where they used a glitch involving unsigned integers, but due to the way computers store negative numbers in binary if you make a sufficiently large negative number it switches over to the largest postive value.

So the maximum negative 8-bit value would be -127 but if you were able to input -128 it would switch over to +128.

edit: oh hey someone beat me to it what a surprise.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The numbers that mark their location got so small that the game thinks they are huge, warping them way forward.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Listen my software work was literally featured in a video at the last Apple iOS keynote

I just wasn't watching the stream you guys

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"if you wanna applaud, go ahead"

*silence*

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
looks like it's Long rear end Game Time, time to go find something else

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Internet Kraken posted:

Well X-2 is really bad so if you 100% it you deserve to suffer.

100% false. :colbert:

Fight me.

I'm so not missing Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue tonight. I dont even know what it is, but speedrunning hello kitty feels right.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

X-2 is one of the few not garbage FFs

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/hls is what i am using for HTML 5 streaming

Supreme Lord Jeremy
Jul 12, 2006

"We have waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with the blood of those who oppose us."
"We're doing an interview, man." --Spike

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

you are inventing fiction again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SectumSempra posted:

100% false. :colbert:

Fight me.

You're already dead on the inside.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Your favorite Final Fantasy is garbage.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ekster posted:

Your favorite Final Fantasy is garbage.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How different is MM3D Any% from normal, it's like 45 minutes longer estimate.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Why are they playing in French?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

UIApplication posted:

you are inventing fiction again
i liked FF6 and FF7 as a kid but i dunno if they're any good now, I liked x-2 and 12 as a college kid

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

*lipsmack*

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Dunban posted:

Why are they playing in French?

I'll take a guess and say some quirk of programming makes the text move faster.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
FFX-2 is a great game. Great Gameplay for FF, goodish story.

You just have to successfully completely ignore the main characters, as well as everything they ever say or do.

And the existence of that FFX-3 or whatever novel.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
"Hey, we're just going to sit on the couch and not say anything this run."

Well thanks for coming, i guess.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Supremezero posted:

You just have to successfully completely ignore the main characters, as well as everything they ever say or do.

Immerse yourself in the anime and enjoy the best FF.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

UIApplication posted:

looks like it's Long rear end Game Time, time to go find something else

I can't understand why people donate and get hype for RPG speedruns. The games lend nothing to speedrunning and it's terribly boring to watch. Mario 64 is the only one I can actually get behind because at least that takes a huge amount of technical skill to do.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I can't understand why people donate and get hype for RPG speedruns. The games lend nothing to speedrunning and it's terribly boring to watch. Mario 64 is the only one I can actually get behind because at least that takes a huge amount of technical skill to do.

Mario 64 isn't an RPG though :confused:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Supremezero posted:

campy final fantasy, if you just never take it seriously you're fine.

Honestly that rule applies to most video games, if not all.
______

Really odd that speedrunners do the whole switching to save time bit when if you know the time difference, you just add that time difference to X version and your times would come out the same.
I never got why it was a huge deal, maybe self satisfaction.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

CJ posted:

"Hey, we're just going to sit on the couch and not say anything this run."

Well thanks for coming, i guess.

I was fine with this as the way they said this suggested to me the runner would be doing alot of commentary on his own so couch co commentators were not needed.

I was a fool back then.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unless there's a sequence break or otherwise some sort of crazy glitching these rpg runs are so goddamn boring

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Counterpoint: OoT is an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

UIApplication posted:

Unless there's a sequence break or otherwise some sort of crazy glitching these rpg runs are so goddamn boring

Some games have cool tech,

some games are just popular, so people feel the need to speed run them

• Locked thread