Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We've lived in an era of patch notes and advance notices of upcoming patch content for quite some time now, so the idea that a new gameplay update is a spoiler is incredibly alien to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Srice posted:

We've lived in an era of patch notes and advance notices of upcoming patch content for quite some time now, so the idea that a new gameplay update is a spoiler is incredibly alien to me.

Jivjov is an interesting person

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Srice posted:

Again, some people want the surprise. To just boot up the game one morning and find out there's new poo poo in it. All the stuff is there for a quick mouseover if you want to know, but people who don't want to know won't see it. Its the best of both worlds.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If someone is legitimately upset at hearing in advance that the new Smash update contains Hyrule 64 and Peach's Castle 64, then they are a gigantic baby that shouldn't read video game forums in the first place, lest they get spoiled by other video game news.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

OMG why did I read that, the surprise is completely ruined, screw all you chatty bitches

(I don't have smashbros)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why are you upset that it was hidden behind spoiler text?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I don't exactly get why they'd be under spoilers, but it also doesn't hurt anyone in any way whatsoever, so I don't understand what the fuss is. :shrug:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

elf help book posted:

Why are you upset that it was hidden behind spoiler text?

Not so much upset as much as I'm amazed at how dumb spoilerphobia can get :melter:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Srice posted:

Not so much upset as much as I'm amazed at how dumb spoilerphobia can get :melter:

When it comes to patch notes and upcoming features; I agree with you. But, again, it costs nothing to toss up spoiler tags.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Only your dignity

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

Only your dignity

At this point, do I really have any goon dignity left? Especially in a Nintendo thread?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

jivjov posted:

At this point, do I really have any goon dignity left? Especially in a Nintendo thread?

I respect you.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

jivjov posted:

I don't think any sane person has a problem with you, really.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Finding a sane goon, on the other hand...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Getting mad about an unspoilered dlc reveal is about as dumb as getting mad at official promotion emails not using spoiler tags when describing games that are coming up for release soon.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Having a party game stage that has zero story elements based around a nearly 20 year old videogame does not count as a spoiler.

Like really Hatsune Miku being a playable character in persona is more of a spoiler than showing DLC that disgraces the memory of 20 year old videogames.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theatrhythm is making me really want to play a Final Fantasy game. Where any of the million on DS worth picking up?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

Theatrhythm is making me really want to play a Final Fantasy game. Where any of the million on DS worth picking up?

The only main title to get a DS port was 3 and it's a bad port that makes the game a lot worse, which is unfortunate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

4 DS is good but really difficult and FF4 is available on at least 50 other platforms at this point

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh right I forgot about 4 since it is available everywhere.

It's not the best way to play 4 if you're new to it since it pulls tricks based on what people knew from the original, but it's not super horrible to new players.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, isn't that the one that everyone says is the best one anyways?

Maybe I should just start playing Rune Factory 4 instead :v:. The 3DS brings out the weeaboo in me and I don't know why.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The best final fantasy on 3DS is Bravely Default.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

jivjov posted:

You got me dedede and ness, the rest of you fuckers have done nothing for me

Lmao if you're gettin mad about spoiler text

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

You're a nice boy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

elf help book posted:

I respect you.

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

I don't think any sane person has a problem with you, really.

deadwing posted:

You got me dedede and ness, the rest of you fuckers have done nothing for me

Lmao if you're gettin mad about spoiler text

Hat Thoughts posted:

You're a nice boy

Thanks everyone :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, tangentially related to the 3DS due to Mega Man Legends, what's going on with the Kickstarter for that spiritual sequel by Inafune? Small funding goal for a project of this sort but it barely reached halfway through after a month? Did a bunch of people making a fuss about MML3 being canceled turned out to be merely a loud minority? Is it because the other kickstarted title Mighty No 9 hasn't come out yet? I'm just wondering if anyone's been following it and knows what the hell happened here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

So, tangentially related to the 3DS due to Mega Man Legends, what's going on with the Kickstarter for that spiritual sequel by Inafune? Small funding goal for a project of this sort but it barely reached halfway through after a month? Did a bunch of people making a fuss about MML3 being canceled turned out to be merely a loud minority? Is it because the other kickstarted title Mighty No 9 hasn't come out yet? I'm just wondering if anyone's been following it and knows what the hell happened here.

They looked up the worst ways to run a kickstarter, and thought it said best.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like off the top of my head here's a bunch of reasons, completely from memory.

A) It's a demo, not a full game. Kojima can get away with selling Ground Zeroes because it's part of Metal Gear Solid 5. This is a new property that's completely unproven.
B) MN9 isn't out yet and hasn't proven itself. Starting a new project before release is normal for a regular company but not a kickstarter
C) Unlike classic Megaman, the story and cast of MML are a huge selling point.
D) Hardcore MML fans that would pony up the money for the kickstarter are a niche within a niche.
E) It's some sort of multimedia franchise because they have an anime kickstarter at the same time
F) They updated the kickstarter and told people that $80 buys you the full game.
G) Their kickstarter page was bare bones, mainly just concept art and that doesn't cut it these days.
H) They updated with a prototype that looks janky as hell.

Probably more reasons too but that's just off the top of my head.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Putting aside the fact that the campaign is bad and the initial funding goal is for half of a prologue chapter instead of an actual game, the main reason I didn't back it is that I don't want Not-Megaman-Legends. I want the actual thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Saoshyant posted:

I thought Mighty Number 9 already used up all of the Megaman Legends outrage. If they wanted to do this then they should have done it two years ago.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Srice posted:

Like off the top of my head here's a bunch of reasons, completely from memory.

A) It's a demo, not a full game. Kojima can get away with selling Ground Zeroes because it's part of Metal Gear Solid 5. This is a new property that's completely unproven.
B) MN9 isn't out yet and hasn't proven itself. Starting a new project before release is normal for a regular company but not a kickstarter
C) Unlike classic Megaman, the story and cast of MML are a huge selling point.
D) Hardcore MML fans that would pony up the money for the kickstarter are a niche within a niche.
E) It's some sort of multimedia franchise because they have an anime kickstarter at the same time
F) They updated the kickstarter and told people that $80 buys you the full game.
G) Their kickstarter page was bare bones, mainly just concept art and that doesn't cut it these days.
H) They updated with a prototype that looks janky as hell.

Probably more reasons too but that's just off the top of my head.

I guess that covers pretty much everything relevant. Thanks for actually writing it all down.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The prototype is literally just "let's throw some assets together into a room in Unity within 24 hours"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngocs2bBwPU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I guess that covers pretty much everything relevant. Thanks for actually writing it all down.

It turns out there's another new thing that makes a lot of that meaningless: They just announced a deal with a publisher so even if it fails the game is still happening.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1308824

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Srice posted:

It turns out there's another new thing that makes a lot of that meaningless: They just announced a deal with a publisher so even if it fails the game is still happening.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1308824

pfffffft

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

"Hey guys! A company is giving us money to make the whole thing! So why is this Kickstarter still around? We don't know! Just pretend your money is going solely towards stretch goals or something! What exactly are these stretch goals you ask? We are very busy go away!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Srice posted:

is that slime okay

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

"Hey guys! A company is giving us money to make the whole thing! So why is this Kickstarter still around? We don't know! Just pretend your money is going solely towards stretch goals or something! What exactly are these stretch goals you ask? We are very busy go away!"

I'm not surprised at this outcome because this isn't the first time, and now that there have been high profile successes be prepared for a ton of kickstarters that exist to prove consumer interest to publishers.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

is that slime okay

It's just a bit bushed

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Has MN9 even come out yet? Why the hell would they try to kickstart a second game when they haven't even released the first? And didn't they run out of money on the first one anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Has MN9 even come out yet? Why the hell would they try to kickstart a second game when they haven't even released the first? And didn't they run out of money on the first one anyway?

While Inafune is involved with both games, Red Ash is being handled by a different company.

Plus, MN9 isn't that far away from release. If Inafune was running a normal business with the same dev team for both games it would make perfect sense to start up a new project, because presumably the full MN9 team doesn't need to be working full time at this point.

But that's kickstarter for you, you gotta worry about your image because it will bite you in your rear end.