Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nop posted:

If you don't mind manual focus you could try the 105mm f/4 AIS. It only goes to 1:2 reproduction (I think that's 1:1.5 on crop), but that should probably be good enough for what you're doing. I think you can find them for about $150-200.

The reproduction ratio remains the same regardless of sensor size.

The reproduction ratio measures the scale of the projected image relative to the actual size of the objects in the focus plane, so if 1 mm on the focus plane is projected into 1 mm on the camera sensor/film surface, you have a 1:1 reproduction ratio. If 2 mm is projected into 1 mm on the sensor, you have a 1:2 reproduction ratio, i.e. objects on the projected image are half size of their actual size.

At the same reproduction ratio, a crop sensor just takes a picture of less of the original object then a full frame sensor does. On the other hand if the crop sensor and full frame sensors have the same pixel count, the crop sensor's image can arguably be enlarged more than the full frame sensor's image, leading to an effectively better reproduction ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

The Locator posted:

Thanks for the advice. Those 105mm micro lenses are pricey! Will have to decide whether to save up for one of those. The Sigma is cheaper and has the same F number $670 f2.8 vs. $1000 for the Nikkor, so I'll probably target that one.

The Nikkor 105mm f2.8 may be pricy, but dear Lord it's an amazing lens for macro as well as portrait photography. It's so sharp you should be wearing protective eyewear when using it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Caryna posted:

The Nikkor 105mm f2.8 may be pricy, but dear Lord it's an amazing lens for macro as well as portrait photography. It's so sharp you should be wearing protective eyewear when using it.
Sigma's newest 105mm is actually a bit sharper than the Nikon. It came out before they started doing the Art/Sport/Contemporary branding, but it's definitely on par optically with their new high-end offerings.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Moon Potato posted:

Sigma's newest 105mm is actually a bit sharper than the Nikon. It came out before they started doing the Art/Sport/Contemporary branding, but it's definitely on par optically with their new high-end offerings.

That's good to know for when I ever have to replace my Nikkor 105mm (hopefully not anytime soon though!). I currently have two Sigma lenses (85mm f1.4 and 70-200mm f2.8) and love them, so I'm more than happy to give the 105mm a try at some point.

However, I'm currently in the market for a wide-angle zoom and have been hearing great things about Tamron's new 15-30mm VC. Any comments on that one in conjunction with Nikon FX bodies (D750 in my case)? I'm basically looking for a FX replacement for my retired companion, the good old Tokina 11-16mm.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Usually I take a stack of lenses on vacation and find I use them all/most, but since buying the cheap 18-55 kit I find its all I take out most days.

I feel dirty.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
FINALLY going to drop the money on the D7200 this week. Any known or assumed upcoming sales this month I should know about, or is this as good as a time as any to buy it? I'm second shooting a wedding mid August so I can't really wait until Black Friday or anything (my aging D80 is way past the rated shutter count, so I doubt it will be reliable for the wedding).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Thanks. Part of my original question was whether I would see improvements, and what they might be, as I really don't have a clue beyond what I'm currently doing. I'm not particularly unhappy with what I'm getting now, but I'm always trying to improve myself, regardless of what it is I'm working on.

I will try to make some time to learn more about Lightroom, and probably should start shooting in RAW to take advantage of all that it can do.

Also, that focus-stacking thing is something that I didn't even know existed. Wow...

I think a macro focusing rail and a macro lens would give you the most extra flexibility. I like Helicon Focus for stacking, but I don't do it a ton. And yeah, using RAW and lightroom will instantly give you a bit of a bump.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I pulled the trigger on a d7200 last week. I've been extremely happy with it so far coming from a d3200. I wasn't able to find any deals on a US model.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can you get good deals at airports in the U.S.? I needed my 7200 before I went away, but I saw it about $300 cheaper than UK in Heathrow last week.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Oh god I was about to get the D7200 and my coworker just pointed out there is a refurbished D610 body on Nikon's website for the same price. Am I ready for full frame? :ohdear:

I want to shoot theatre production photos, wildlife (including birds), photojournalism, engagement photos, and maybe dip my feet into concert photography, eventually moving this into an income generating thing. D7200's amazing autofocus system seems like a big plus, but now I'm not sure if I should just jump to FF right now (although refurb means the warrantly might as well be nonexistent).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What lenses do you have? That makes a huge difference.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (not the VR one, its like over a decade old)
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

I want to shoot theatre production photos, wildlife (including birds), photojournalism, engagement photos, and maybe dip my feet into concert photography, eventually moving this into an income generating thing. D7200's amazing autofocus system seems like a big plus, but now I'm not sure if I should just jump to FF right now (although refurb means the warrantly might as well be nonexistent).
The bolded things are things where a crop sensor will be an advantage in some/many cases. Italics are where full frame will be more advantageous. Decide what you want to do more.

The other thing is I think a number of your lenses are DX lenses, which means you won't be able to use them outside of crop mode on the full frame body.

You should probably get the D7200 for now and also buy a full frame camera some point in the future.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Kenshin posted:

The bolded things are things where a crop sensor will be an advantage in some/many cases. Italics are where full frame will be more advantageous. Decide what you want to do more.

The other thing is I think a number of your lenses are DX lenses, which means you won't be able to use them outside of crop mode on the full frame body.

You should probably get the D7200 for now and also buy a full frame camera some point in the future.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the only DX lens on that list is the 18-55, which is basically just collecting dust right now anyways.

I imagine I won't have issues shooting the italicized subjects well with the D7200, it's just that the D610 will overall be better right? I'll be shooting some production photos in a couple weeks and will be the second shooter for a wedding next month, past that I have no jobs lined up... so I do feel like waiting on FF would be a good option until I'm generating some more income from my work, but I'm caught up wondering if that is a good investment strategy or not. My budget is slightly limited at this time, so I'm a little more cautious.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the only DX lens on that list is the 18-55, which is basically just collecting dust right now anyways.

I imagine I won't have issues shooting the italicized subjects well with the D7200, it's just that the D610 will overall be better right? I'll be shooting some production photos in a couple weeks and will be the second shooter for a wedding next month, past that I have no jobs lined up... so I do feel like waiting on FF would be a good option until I'm generating some more income from my work, but I'm caught up wondering if that is a good investment strategy or not. My budget is slightly limited at this time, so I'm a little more cautious.

Ah, I wasn't clear on if your Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is the G or not.

Yeah, you'll be fine shooting all of that on the D7200. You're not going to have the prettier bokeh of the full frame sensor but the D7200 has fantastic dynamic range and the focusing (even in low light) is great (and probably better than the D610)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Just remembered to check and whoops, it is the D lens. I guess I should wait on FX until I can budget for some new lenses then?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Just remembered to check and whoops, it is the D lens. I guess I should wait on FX until I can budget for some new lenses then?
All of Nikon's 50mm lenses are FX. It's the 35mm f/1.8 that has a DX version.

As far as the camera body goes, Kenshin nailed it with his recommendations for each field of photography. The D7200's AF system is far superior for anything that will be moving quickly, but the larger sensor on the D610 will probably serve you better for any of the situations where a client will be paying you for photos.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Almost 100% eaning towards the D610 now, because I realized I have more times where I need to step back to fit everything in my 28-75mm lens, and less times where I feel the need to get closer. And besides, if I ever need to use crop mode, it will still look leaps and bounds better than anything my D80 could ever hope to do.

My only hesitation at this point is that refurbished Nikon bodies only have a 90-day warranty. So, final question - how good is Adorama's New Leaf Extended Warranty (not the drops/spills one)? A refurbished body + their 3 year extended warranty would be the same cost as a new D7200.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
If it makes you feel any better, I've literally never had a Nikon camera malfunction in any way in the last 7 years of shooting on 3 different bodies. If you want some protection, get your camera added to your home/renter's insurance for like $20 a year and it should cover the cost of your camera to get fixed w/no deductible.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

Almost 100% eaning towards the D610 now, because I realized I have more times where I need to step back to fit everything in my 28-75mm lens, and less times where I feel the need to get closer. And besides, if I ever need to use crop mode, it will still look leaps and bounds better than anything my D80 could ever hope to do.

My only hesitation at this point is that refurbished Nikon bodies only have a 90-day warranty. So, final question - how good is Adorama's New Leaf Extended Warranty (not the drops/spills one)? A refurbished body + their 3 year extended warranty would be the same cost as a new D7200.

The D610 owns a whole lot except for video. That being said, I've sold commercials shot on a combo of it + MFT cameras.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yongnuo 50/1.8 in F-mount

Still looks exactly like the EF version lol

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm guessing there'd be no reason to dump my Nikon 50/1.8 and 35/1.8 for those, since I've already dropped the money on them. They're not going to be better, just cheaper.

Then again how much do those Nikon lenses go for used.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I wish it was the 85 and 105 they decided to put out first. The 35 and 50 are cheap enough as it is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I mean, I'd love to spend $58 each for the 35 and 50, but I've already spent the $400 to get them from Nikon, and they're going for about $58 used.

But at least I'll know not to buy any more Nikon primes (lol like I can afford any more equipment right now)

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

I bought my D810, D5100, 50mm f/1.8 G and 85mm f/1.8 G as Nikon refurbs, and they've given me no issues at all. I recall from somewhere that digital SLRs are among the most reliable consumer products sold, so it's probably not worth it to buy an extended warranty. The only thing you miss with a refurb is the fancy Nikon box.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 10, 2015

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I wish it was the 85 and 105 they decided to put out first. The 35 and 50 are cheap enough as it is.

It is known that they're going to make versions of the 85 and 105?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheJeffers posted:

The only thing you miss with a refurb is the fancy Nikon box.

My refurb came in a fancy Nikon box. :colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

McCoy Pauley posted:

It is known that they're going to make versions of the 85 and 105?

Sorry presumption on my part, I've only seen the 35 and 50 listed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Where are you guys purchasing your Nikon refurbs from?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Mine was off of Amazon during their lightning deals last holiday season.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Adorama and B&H sometimes have them. Nikon also sells them first-hand here: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Store/Refurbished-Cameras.page

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm guessing there'd be no reason to dump my Nikon 50/1.8 and 35/1.8 for those, since I've already dropped the money on them. They're not going to be better, just cheaper.

Then again how much do those Nikon lenses go for used.

Well, I'm guessing that Yongnuo's 35 will be full frame, so it'll have that going for it at least.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I've got a friend looking to sell her D600 and I'm thinking of buying it. Would it be worth it if I'm upgrading from a D7000? She's asking for $900 which seems a little steep for what is basically an upgrade to a full frame sensor, but then again I'm not sure about the value of Nikon's newer bodies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KEH don't seem to have any listings for a second hand 600 at the moment, but looking at eBay completed it seems fair. But probably worth talking down $100 so they get an easy sale from someone whose not going to be a pain in the rear end afterwards.

Whether you want to upgrade to FF from your 7000 depends on what you want. The 600 gives you cheaper wide angles due to no crop factor, and it's got better ISO levels due to the larger sensor. Do these things inhibit you at the moment or don't they matter? If you have the money to buy in FF without selling a DX body though, means you have that choice when you go out shooting, and it's never a bad thing to have a choice of good bodies, but if you don't find a need for that model it's definitely a harder decision.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Thanks for the advice, I shoot a lot of event/music/low-light stuff so the ISO is one of the bigger draws for me. It seems like my best option for a full frame sensor right now, I'm too poor for anything bigger.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Three new lenses coming.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/07/29/first-pictures-of-nikon-24mm-f1-8g-24-70mm-f2-8e-vr-and-200-500mm-f5-6e-lenses-leaked-online.aspx/

That 24-70 just might be the final straw in me breaking up with Canon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

$2250 for that lens. Ouch.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maaan, I've been hoping Canon or Nikon would come out with a 2.8 IS lens ever since Tamron's. I'd love it for video. Probably won't buy one but I could see renting it occasionally.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Locator posted:

$2250 for that lens. Ouch.

I bought the current 24-70 when it came out in 2007.

It's been to countless weddings, events, headshot sessions. It's more than earned it's keep. If I could get the same thing with VR for what I paid for it in '07, that's a bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yeast posted:

I bought the current 24-70 when it came out in 2007.

It's been to countless weddings, events, headshot sessions. It's more than earned it's keep. If I could get the same thing with VR for what I paid for it in '07, that's a bargain.

I appreciate that good lenses are expensive, but for my purposes (I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination) it's just far beyond the price I could consider paying. I do understand it's a professional lens and may be priced appropriately, but drat, for a hobby type user like myself, it's still expensive as hell!