Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SirSamVimes posted:

Did you miss the letter in the dark room from a psychologist which pointed out that Nathan was literally insane and needed to be treated?

The fact that Nathan is hosed up psychologically and on drugs doesn't wave a magic wand over his actions, which he could have stopped but consciously chose not to. Maybe one's personal reactions to Nathan have a lot to do with experiences you've had to deal with in your own life, but abusers and rapists of women are scum. End of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

seravid posted:

This is serious and cause for alarm.

I strongly suspect Warren has had his drink spiked. Remember how Kate also ended up wasted off of half a drink? Add that with what we learn from Stella about Mr. Jefferson being in charge of hiring people for the party, combined with Warren being known as one of Max's closest friends at Blackwell, and it doesn't seem unlikely that he was deliberately taken out of the equation.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

The fact that Nathan is hosed up psychologically and on drugs doesn't wave a magic wand over his actions, which he could have stopped but consciously chose not to. Maybe one's personal reactions to Nathan have a lot to do with experiences you've had to deal with in your own life, but abusers and rapists of women are scum. End of story.

Got it. All mentally ill people are completely culpable for their actions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Warren, there I said it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Dude, I totally understand why anyone would loathe Nathan's guts, I do too, but it's also hosed up to say that a clearly mentally ill, abused person that's off their meds is in complete conscious of their actions.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Regy Rusty posted:

I like Warren, there I said it.

you take that back

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

seravid posted:

you take that back

Never, I'm going to the movies with him.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

lets go ape

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dmboogie posted:

lets go ape

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

dmboogie posted:

Dude, I totally understand why anyone would loathe Nathan's guts, I do too, but it's also hosed up to say that a clearly mentally ill, abused person that's off their meds is in complete conscious of their actions.

I won't go that far, but I'm also not gonna shed any tears if some nerd roughs them up a little.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I didn' want to beat down Nathan, because I felt pity for him.

SirSamVimes posted:

Did you miss the letter in the dark room from a psychologist which pointed out that Nathan was literally insane and needed to be treated?

That same letter told us that his psychologist finally gave up on him, since he wont make any progress on his own and his parents can't be bothered to appear for joint sessions. :smith:
Nathan has a lot of mental problems. And it's quite obvious, that his relationship to his father influenced that. I mean one of the notes basically says: "Don't be a wimp who disgraces our family name! If you've got something to say you can come to me. Just schedule a date on any given second thursday of a month between 16:07 and 16:10.

Also did you notice that the best son ever certificate was filled out on June sixth 2006? What's up with that thing anyway. I can see why Nathan would hold it dear. It's not something one would expect from that father.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 29, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

beat up the mentally ill, they deserve it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Warren is cool now

is there a weird meteorological sky event for each one of the unmissable selfies?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Wait, for the "but Nathan pulled a gun" crowd, didn't Max also pull a gun on Frank, and Chloe as well who seems to talk about pulling a gun out all the time? Frank helpfully points out "don't point a gun at someone unless you want to kill them" which is gun safety 101 poo poo. David also seemed to be unhappy about Chloe stealing one of his.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

epitasis posted:

Warren is cool now

is there a weird meteorological sky event for each one of the unmissable selfies?

The unmissable selfies are in Episode 1 (snow), Episode 3 (whales) and Episode 4 (moons). So I guess in the sense that every new episode has a new cataclysmic phenomenon, yes?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
All Warren was doing was paying Nathan back. He didn't do anything to Nathan that Nathan didn't do to him in Episode 1, except he did it with his feet instead of his fists, and later felt like poo poo about it.

Anyway, so I guess Nathan drugging Chloe and taking her picture was him trying to apply what he's learned from Jefferson?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Wait, for the "but Nathan pulled a gun" crowd, didn't Max also pull a gun on Frank, and Chloe as well who seems to talk about pulling a gun out all the time? Frank helpfully points out "don't point a gun at someone unless you want to kill them" which is gun safety 101 poo poo. David also seemed to be unhappy about Chloe stealing one of his.

Max only pulled the gun on Frank after Frank pulled the switchblade on and was grappling Chloe. There isn't really any excuse for Chloe's lack of gun safety, she's just kind of a dumbass.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Warren isn't insane though.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

one little thing from episode 4 is that i was glad i stuck up for david. dude seems like a legit nice guy when you get to know him. at first i was operating under the principle that i didnt want to break chloes family apart after everything joyce has been through but i was pleasantly surprised by the convo i had with him in his man-cave

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Also I am really glad that I tried to be nice to David in the past. He is a hardass and has a slight persecution complex, but he is genuinly concerned for Chloe and actually wants to be part of her family. He doesn't have those cameras or the GPS trackers in some peoples cars, because that stuff turns him on, but because he wants to protect the ones close to him. And of course he doesn't want Chloe to hang around seedy people like Frank, or Rachel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I kinda feel bad about David's situation, even though he was a dick to Kate in the first couple episodes, which made it easy to side against him. I didn't want to break up the family but I also wanted Chloe on my side in Episode 3. I feel like there's a big redemption arc coming his way in the final episode if you had the patience to hear him out.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
David crossed a really creepy line when he installed cameras all over the house - including at least one bedroom - without Joyce and Chloe knowing about it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I sided with Chloe because I felt that Joyce deserved to know everything. I don't know if I made the right decision, but I stand by it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Never, I'm going to the movies with him.

Yeah, I accepted his Go Ape invitation in my game. Going to the drive-in to watch lovely movies is something I really enjoyed doing while in high school.

SirSamVimes posted:

I sided with Chloe because I felt that Joyce deserved to know everything. I don't know if I made the right decision, but I stand by it.

Yeah, I don't think David deserved to be let off the hook on that so I sided with Chloe, but I really hope I at least get some change to encourage them to try working poo poo out instead of just kicking out David together. Considering just how hosed up we're finding out that poo poo is around Blackwell, it's a lot easier to understand David's paranoia.

Hell, regarding David's surveillance Is it really any worse than all the snooping and manipulation Max ends up doing with her powers?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 30, 2015

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

SirSamVimes posted:

Perhaps this would have justified him if not for two things.

1) Warren didn't know anything aside from the fact that Nathan is a dick and a druggie. Not a good person, but seriously he was on the ground crying and begging for mercy. Continuing the beatdown is hardly a "redeeming" action.

2) Nathan is really really mentally ill. He needs to be locked up for his and everyone else's safety and be given the treatment that his father is refusing to allow him to have, not beaten to a pulp.

Nathan beats the poo poo out of Warren in ep 1 man :cmon: he took him to the ground and everything.

Edit: Since this has already been noted, i will expand on it: Warren doesn't know Nathan is insane. All he knows is Nathan is a shitheel preppy boy who's been bullying him for months at the least and beat his rear end a few days ago.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 30, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Even if Nathan wasn't insane, stooping to his level and kicking a guy who is curled up and sobbing on the ground is a Not Good thing to do. And we have no idea how long it would have gone if Max didn't stop it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Speaking as a fan of both final fantasy and metal gear, directing mentally ill people to beat up other mentally ill people is probably one of the better parts of video games.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SirSamVimes posted:

And we have no idea how long it would have gone if Max didn't stop it.

Yes we do, that's one of the options.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Even if Nathan wasn't insane, stooping to his level and kicking a guy who is curled up and sobbing on the ground is a Not Good thing to do. And we have no idea how long it would have gone if Max didn't stop it.

But it's more fun to watch and encourage the cycle of abuse perpetuate itself than actually trying to stop it.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Max: gently caress your selfie, Victoria. :hellyeah: I still warned her about Warren though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I plan to fully stop the cycle of abuse in Episode 5. For now, it's fun to watch a bully and abuser of women get what amounts to only a cursory rear end whooping.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Fans posted:

drat straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAFvbtMHuI

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fans posted:

Even if you do take that option she eventually pulls him away. So we don't know how far it could have gone.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SirSamVimes posted:

Even if you do take that option she eventually pulls him away. So we don't know how far it could have gone.

He's pretty clearly wound down when Max tells them to go.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

He actually does stop when Nathan says "please stop" and puts his hands to his face, Warren starts getting up and Max helps him

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, except that's not what actually happens at all :confused:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I also kinda like Warren. I'm a little wary of him because he's a little clingy and stalkerish, but if he just chilled a bit, he'd be a pretty cool guy. I also liked that he recognised how the beating was a little hosed up - but then he was talking about being "alpha" afterwards and it was like "ew god no."
(And let's be honest, all the poo poo he's done is not nearly as bad as the bullshit I've rewound Chloe out of.)

My bigger issue is trying to figure out if Max the character is more interested in him or...lesbianism.

seravid posted:

Warren [...] got shitfaced with half a beer.
Serious question, is this actually possible? I know people have different tolerances and everything, but...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I in high school a mere 3 years ago had alcoholic beverages for the first time and it took a ton of poo poo before I finally got drunk. Warren is a bitch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VagueRant posted:

My bigger issue is trying to figure out if Max the character is more interested in him or...lesbianism.

I thought that Chloe's question about what locker room Max wanted to sneak into was a kinda subtle decision point for her character. I don't know if it touches any conversation flags though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

VagueRant posted:

Serious question, is this actually possible? I know people have different tolerances and everything, but...

It is but it's very unlikely, even if that's his first beer ever (also unlikely). Someone else brought up that he might've been drugged and I agree with that theory.

• Locked thread