Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Jerry Jones said some stuff about Joseph Randle being the #1 RB, sound the alarm.

Would you say he stole the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cervixalot posted:

Jerry Jones said some stuff about Joseph Randle being the #1 RB, sound the alarm.

2nd round here we come.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Joseph Randle is the JAGiest of JAGs and I don't think the O-line will elevate him too much. He's going to be ludicrously expensive in a month.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Varg posted:

negative! honestly I just want Skip Bayless's job, anyone can do that

Actually I think it's the opposite. You've got to be a very specific kind of rear end in a top hat to pull off the poo poo Bayless/Stephen A/Cowherd constantly do without once going "Ok maybe I should just chill the gently caress out for like a month" and instead just keep saying dumb poo poo because you know the ratings will be good.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Benne posted:

Joseph Randle is the JAGiest of JAGs and I don't think the O-line will elevate him too much. He's going to be ludicrously expensive in a month.

I agree that his price is probably going to be too high, but I'm not sure you're appropriately considering just how terrifyingly good this offensive line is. This line is the result of years of high-value draft capital. Up to last year, they invested three out of four consecutive 1st round picks in lineman, and then managed to pick up La'el this past year and somehow stand a chance to be even better in the next year or two. They eat dinners together regularly, they text each other constantly, and pretty much everybody involved claims it's the closest-knit line unit they've ever been a part of.

That's why Randle led the league in YPC last year (though trigger warning: tiny sample size [50 carries]). There's also some other promising signs he could scale up: he was third in evaded tackles per touch, and the org seems to like him. Romo is also thriving behind the line, which means softer fronts to run against.

If Randle gets the volume he could be huge, mostly because the line is just that good. Problem is, because the line is so central to his success, he could just easily be replaced by somebody else too.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

You heard it here first. Mariota is gonna blow out his knee this year! :v:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Forever_Peace posted:

I agree that his price is probably going to be too high, but I'm not sure you're appropriately considering just how terrifyingly good this offensive line is. This line is the result of years of high-value draft capital. Up to last year, they invested three out of four consecutive 1st round picks in lineman, and then managed to pick up La'el this past year and somehow stand a chance to be even better in the next year or two. They eat dinners together regularly, they text each other constantly, and pretty much everybody involved claims it's the closest-knit line unit they've ever been a part of.

That's why Randle led the league in YPC last year (though trigger warning: tiny sample size [50 carries]). There's also some other promising signs he could scale up: he was third in evaded tackles per touch, and the org seems to like him. Romo is also thriving behind the line, which means softer fronts to run against.

If Randle gets the volume he could be huge, mostly because the line is just that good. Problem is, because the line is so central to his success, he could just easily be replaced by somebody else too.

So pick up Dunbar for free instead. Randle is nothing special, that's a crazy price to pay for mediocre talent.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It doesn't matter his talent level if he is going to get the majority of looks in an offense with the best line in football. And lets be fair, Randle is not a mediocre talent. He might just be an average talent, but behind that offensive line that could make him a low end RB1.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I dunno guys, this feels like the year McFadden breaks out behind that line!

Is he still there or did they cut him yet?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Randle is a change of pace back and won't be able to handle the workload of a starter

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Sataere posted:

It doesn't matter his talent level if he is going to get the majority of looks in an offense with the best line in football.

His talent could very easily prevent him from getting the majority of the looks. Dallas could go out and sign a free agent any day that would compete for carries.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Metapod posted:

Randle is a change of pace back and won't be able to handle the workload of a starter

Everyone is a change of pace guy until they show they can handle the workload. :v:

Papes posted:

His talent could very easily prevent him from getting the majority of the looks. Dallas could go out and sign a free agent any day that would compete for carries.

His talent last year was, albeit with a very small sample size, more than enough to clown defenses.

I'm not anointing him the savoir, but if he comes out of training camp the starter in Dallas, he is absolutely a low first rounder/high second rounder. There is just too much opportunity for him to blow up. I'm just saying wait and see. His ADP now don't mean poo poo.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Sataere posted:

I'm not anointing him the savoir, but if he comes out of training camp the starter in Dallas, he is absolutely a low first rounder/high second rounder. There is just too much opportunity for him to blow up. I'm just saying wait and see. His ADP now don't mean poo poo.

I'd rather have Frank Gore more so much it hurts.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
If Randle does come out of camp as the featureback I would love to have him as my RB2 but there's very little chance he makes it past the second round of most drafts so I'd rather just pick up an anchor WR. If he blows up than so be it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Randle gets picked 2nd round I'm going laugh at that person so hard

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Papes posted:

I think that's really unlikely. Consider Dallas' off season moves. First, they show no urgency trying to resign the league's leading rusher, and let him leave. Next, they don't sign a replacement in free agency until nearly all of the talent is gone, settling on a washed up Darren McFadden. So now everyone watching Dallas thought: Okay, the draft class is loaded with RB talent, they're going to draft a guy. Dallas just stayed pat. They're going to sign a guy now, when all of the talent is gone?

I think Randle is probably the guy in Dallas, and that Dallas went into the off season perfectly content with the idea that Randle might be their starter. I think Dallas is very bullish on Randle, and behind that line, that makes me pretty bullish too.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'd rather have Frank Gore more so much it hurts.

Agreed 100%.

This is all moot anyways Since Ray Rice will be the starter in Dallas by midseason

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Enforka posted:

I think Randle is probably the guy in Dallas, and that Dallas went into the off season perfectly content with the idea that Randle might be their starter. I think Dallas is very bullish on Randle, and behind that line, that makes me pretty bullish too.

It's pretty easy to find talking heads or stats nerds that shout from the rooftops about how RBs don't matter and are a waste of salary cap money. That all you need is a good OL and strong passing threats. DAL is testing that theory.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

You guys can take randle all day long. I simply cannot draft a player so reliant on his teammates to return value at his current adp, which looks like it will become even higher as we get closer to the season.

If everything goes well for him this year and Dallas has no critical injuries on offense for the 2nd year in a row, he should be a low rb1 or high end rb2. If his adp creeps up another round or 2nthen there's hardly any upside, best case scenario is he'll return value for you. Easy pass for me this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Randles small and doesn't make anyone miss, he's going to get replaced midway through the season with a committee despite that o-line he's got. RBs past the first round ADP that I'm looking at this year are Melvin Gordon, Carlos Hyde, C.J. Spiller, Jonathan Stewart, T.J. Yeldon, Tevin Coleman, Latavius Murray, Ameer Abdullah, and Todd Gurley. I'm staying away from Randle, Forsett, C.J. Anderson, Andre Ellington, and maybe Gore.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Doltos posted:

Randles small and doesn't make anyone miss, he's going to get replaced midway through the season with a committee despite that o-line he's got. RBs past the first round ADP that I'm looking at this year are Melvin Gordon, Carlos Hyde, C.J. Spiller, Jonathan Stewart, T.J. Yeldon, Tevin Coleman, Latavius Murray, Ameer Abdullah, and Todd Gurley. I'm staying away from Randle, Forsett, C.J. Anderson, Andre Ellington, and maybe Gore.

I feel compelled to issue a word of caution here that five rookies and the representatives of every dumpster fire offense may not rise to the level of your expectations this season. And I say this as a person who owns most of the former group and none of the latter group (save Randle who I've had for two years in one league).

I do like Spiller and maybe JStew, but they don't strike me as steals or anything.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Forever_Peace posted:

I feel compelled to issue a word of caution here that five rookies and the representatives of every dumpster fire offense may not rise to the level of your expectations this season. And I say this as a person who owns most of the former group and none of the latter group (save Randle who I've had for two years in one league).

I do like Spiller and maybe JStew, but they don't strike me as steals or anything.

They're not steals, just guys I'm looking at as a low end RB2 at about the same ADP as Randle. Rookie RBs are super valuable and usually are the steal guys, especially if you get a high usage guy like Doug Martin in his rookie season.

I'm just not that high on a lot of RB's this year. Like I'd only want McCoy, Murray, or Charles as my RB1 over a stellar WR, and I'm really iffy about guys like Peterson and Lynch. I just think a stellar QB/WR/WR combo carries fantasy teams now so I'm going into the draft looking to land Rodgers and two elite WRs while filling my RBs out with speculation rookies/high usage guys.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Doltos posted:

They're not steals, just guys I'm looking at as a low end RB2 at about the same ADP as Randle. Rookie RBs are super valuable and usually are the steal guys, especially if you get a high usage guy like Doug Martin in his rookie season.

I'm just not that high on a lot of RB's this year. Like I'd only want McCoy, Murray, or Charles as my RB1 over a stellar WR, and I'm really iffy about guys like Peterson and Lynch. I just think a stellar QB/WR/WR combo carries fantasy teams now so I'm going into the draft looking to land Rodgers and two elite WRs while filling my RBs out with speculation rookies/high usage guys.

Why would you even think about drafting McCoy early this year? He looked really bad last year when the Eagles O-line went belly up, the Bills O-Line sucks poo poo, his targets are going to go way down in a Greg Roman Offense, and the Bills have probably the worst QB situation in the league which will do him no favors. Yeah, he'll get volume, but he has bust written all over him this year. Not to mention all of his off the field poo poo this offseason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cervixalot posted:

Why would you even think about drafting McCoy early this year? He looked really bad last year when the Eagles O-line went belly up, the Bills O-Line sucks poo poo, his targets are going to go way down in a Greg Roman Offense, and the Bills have probably the worst QB situation in the league which will do him no favors. Yeah, he'll get volume, but he has bust written all over him this year. Not to mention all of his off the field poo poo this offseason.

He rushed for 1300 yards. He just had all his TDs vultured which is why he fantasy dudded. And he actually looked bad in the beginning of the year and turned it on for the rest of the year, averaging 81 yards a game after his bye week (not counting his 149 yard game going into the bye week) in an offense that didn't really suit him. He also put up his dud games against really stout linebacker units like Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, St. Louis, and Washington.

McCoy's going to an offense that is going to run him into the ground. Look at the rushing attempts in Rex Ryan led offenses: 2009 - 607, 2010 - 534, 2011 - 443, 2012 - 494, 2013 - 493, 2014 - 507. Even in the dip years 443 attempts is nothing to scoff at. If Shady gets 80 percent of the carries that's 354 tokes. That's not counting his PPR value either. And you can absolutely believe the Bills are going to let Rex Ryan run his offense the first year like the Jets did when he took over for Mangini, which means McCoy might even get more carries than that. The volume is absurd, he's going to be a monster if he stays healthy. His only competition is FJax, Dixon, and Brown, and none of those guys are going to supplant him. He might be in one of the best positions in fantasy football to return first round value.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

He rushed for 1300 yards. He just had all his TDs vultured which is why he fantasy dudded. And he actually looked bad in the beginning of the year and turned it on for the rest of the year, averaging 81 yards a game after his bye week (not counting his 149 yard game going into the bye week) in an offense that didn't really suit him. He also put up his dud games against really stout linebacker units like Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, St. Louis, and Washington.

McCoy's going to an offense that is going to run him into the ground. Look at the rushing attempts in Rex Ryan led offenses: 2009 - 607, 2010 - 534, 2011 - 443, 2012 - 494, 2013 - 493, 2014 - 507. Even in the dip years 443 attempts is nothing to scoff at. If Shady gets 80 percent of the carries that's 354 tokes. That's not counting his PPR value either. And you can absolutely believe the Bills are going to let Rex Ryan run his offense the first year like the Jets did when he took over for Mangini, which means McCoy might even get more carries than that. The volume is absurd, he's going to be a monster if he stays healthy. His only competition is FJax, Dixon, and Brown, and none of those guys are going to supplant him. He might be in one of the best positions in fantasy football to return first round value.

Except his whole game is strongly correlated with the offensive line he had to play with and the Bills don't have an Evan Mathis to force open holes for him. He's not the workhorse you think he is.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I have a need for WR in my dynasty league. Mike Wallace for Nick Foles seems like a pretty fair trade, right? My other QBs are Wilson, Bradford and Jimmy G so Foles isn't my starter. Wallace will probably be my WR2 after Hopkins and ahead of Quick/Baldwin

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Fjax is my poo poo and he will find a way to produce

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Except his whole game is strongly correlated with the offensive line he had to play with and the Bills don't have an Evan Mathis to force open holes for him. He's not the workhorse you think he is.

Guess who's a free agent? :)

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Doltos posted:

McCoy will be the biggest RB bust this season.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

McCoy is pretty sketchy, but with all of the older rbs going in the first few rounds I doubt he ends up being the biggest bust this year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I have a need for WR in my dynasty league. Mike Wallace for Nick Foles seems like a pretty fair trade, right? My other QBs are Wilson, Bradford and Jimmy G so Foles isn't my starter. Wallace will probably be my WR2 after Hopkins and ahead of Quick/Baldwin

Mike Wallace might not be all that impressive in Minnesota.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Woah. Doltos I'm not really sure we've even been watching the same football league last year. McCoy's success "after the bye" wasn't, like, some arbitrary turnaround or cakewalk schedule. It's when he got two important offensive lineman back from injury (with a third coming back a few weeks prior). And if you DO happen to care about defensive matchups, McCoy now gets to run against Dolphins and Jets lines that are simply :stare:. Also, who would bet against FJax? That man is the beating heart of Buffalo and is apparently made out of diamond dust and epoxy.

As for Murray, his success depends entirely on Chip Kelly's medical sports science program. Murray was downright abused by the coaching staff at Dallas last year - they made it eminently clear that they didn't give a poo poo when they gave him the ball ten times in the second half of a meaningless week 17 blowout against Washington. Running backs coming out of seasons with that kind of volume have historically done very, very poorly. Maybe Chip Kelly has discovered some kind of secret sauce to retroactively undo the damage to Murray's body, but it could just as easily be hubris to sign Murray on that kind of contract before cutting Mathis (who was central to the running game for the past few years).

I can't fathom what you see in McCoy and Murray this year that you don't see in Lynch and AP.

And no, winning fantasy teams don't usually take early QBs. Like, this is empirically true if you analyze the teams that win a championship at any given year (though I can't find the article at the moment).

And rookie running backs are not historically "steals" - the top couple are in fact usually overdrafted every year (see: Bishop Sankey, Christine Michaels). You're better off keeping rookies on WW speed dial I think.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Franks Happy Place posted:

So pick up Dunbar for free instead. Randle is nothing special, that's a crazy price to pay for mediocre talent.

:agreed: Dunbar is a great value, I have been picking him up in all my leagues and drafts thus far.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Doltos posted:

Enjoy your Shady McCoy this year and watch him run east west all year, lmao

Take it from an Eagles fan, he is hot garbage, as is the entire Buffalo offense. What are you hoping for, EJ Manuel checkdowns all day to Shady? McCoy is barely a third round talent this year, and FJax is far better between the tackles (and has an Adamantium skeleton)

I love playing in leagues with guys who take Randle and McCoy with high picks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Of course, most great producing RBs have great o-lines ahead of them. It's not rocket science. But good RBs can still pick up yards behind bad to okay lines, and McCoy is a pretty great back. They also have Glenn/Wood/Kuandjio blocking for him which isn't that bad at all. That's a pretty huge line in a Greg Roman offense which means Shady is going to have a lot more room to do Shady stuff.

Forever_Peace posted:

Woah. Doltos I'm not really sure we've even been watching the same football league last year. McCoy's success "after the bye" wasn't, like, some arbitrary turnaround or cakewalk schedule. It's when he got two important offensive lineman back from injury (with a third coming back a few weeks prior). And if you DO happen to care about defensive matchups, McCoy now gets to run against Dolphins and Jets lines that are simply :stare:. Also, who would bet against FJax? That man is the beating heart of Buffalo and is apparently made out of diamond dust and epoxy.

I think that's discounting a great player a little bit. Before last year Shady was getting 1st overall ADP talk, now no one wants to touch a 27 year old back who flashes Bernie Sanders level talent at times? I've watched Shady at least twice a year every year since he came into the league and that guy absolutely shreds defenses, and shredded them last year, and will probably shred them again this year. I'm totally on the McCoy draft bandwagon but then again I can see the hesitation of going to a harder run defense division with a back that didn't "produce" on 1300 yards last season.

Also like I said before I'd much rather have a QB/WR/WR combo than a QB/RB/WR combo with my first three picks, which means I probably won't be taking Shady at all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Papes posted:

McCoy is pretty sketchy, but with all of the older rbs going in the first few rounds I doubt he ends up being the biggest bust this year.

Yeah the first round ADP on yahoo right now are Charles, Peterson, Lacy, Lynch, Bell, Forte, Murray with Foster, McCoy, Hill and Anderson rounding out the second round. Out of those first rounders I'd only feel safe with Charles and Bell, feel really good with Murray/Forte/Lacy/McCoy, and would want to avoid age 30 one year off of football Peterson and Marshawn 'literally 350 carries every year and is bound to break down or have his TDs vultured soon sometime' Lynch.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

Yeah the first round ADP on yahoo right now are Charles, Peterson, Lacy, Lynch, Bell, Forte, Murray with Foster, McCoy, Hill and Anderson rounding out the second round. Out of those first rounders I'd only feel safe with Charles and Bell, feel really good with Murray/Forte/Lacy/McCoy, and would want to avoid age 30 one year off of football Peterson and Marshawn 'literally 350 carries every year and is bound to break down or have his TDs vultured soon sometime' Lynch.

I only feel safe with bell, lacy, Anderson, and hill. I don't think I could take any other rbs in the first 2 rounds.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

Also like I said before I'd much rather have a QB/WR/WR combo than a QB/RB/WR combo with my first three picks, which means I probably won't be taking Shady at all.

I know someone asked before, but why are you so set on taking a QB early? It goes against common fantasy knowledge. You seem to be set on taking a QB in the first 3 rounds no matter what.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RCarr posted:

I know someone asked before, but why are you so set on taking a QB early? It goes against common fantasy knowledge. You seem to be set on taking a QB in the first 3 rounds no matter what.

I'd take Luck/Rodgers in the late 2nd or anywhere in the 3rd all day.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I had the 8th pick(12 teams) and took Lynch in the first then Luck on the turn and I was pretty happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
My 1PPR league has gone from 3WR 2RB 1TE to 2WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX. But I see some leagues have 3WR 2RB 1TE 1FLEX.

Any insight on which is "better"? Or is it insignificant?

• Locked thread