Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm entering. Thinking pompadours and/or microbraids. They're already said they're wanting afros in, so chances are no such entry is needed.

I hope SE immediately trashes any entries that are straight copies of existing FF characters. So probably like half of what they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I want shaved sides/long top for male characters so bad that I am actually thinking of getting out my sketchbook and entering.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Do you think theyll notice if I make a male version of hildas haircut :v:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Someone enter a flattop for me, tia

a ridiculous pompadour would work too

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 29, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Ferrinus posted:

the fact that F4/B4 don't refresh astral/umbral is an important part of making sure that you still have a reason to cast the lower-level spells.

That presumes it's good to have lower level spells as a main part of your rotation, which is a questionable notion at best. You can either keep low level abilities part of the main rotation or you can keep adding new buttons that change the main rotation, but one of them has to give eventually. Since BLM already drops a few abilities at higher levels (t1, b2) and has another few that you (almost) never use in the first place (freeze, apocastasis), it wouldn't be some grave sin for f1 and b1 to become more situational.

Even if you did need to keep them, it would feel more BLM-like to me if F4 could proc an instant/off-GCD f1 (which could then proc a free F3). BLM gameplay was based around proc reactivity, not managing timers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kuvo posted:

Someone enter a flattop for me, tia

a ridiculous pompadour would work too

So, Kid N' Play, or Gerald from Hey Arnold?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

seorin posted:

That presumes it's good to have lower level spells as a main part of your rotation, which is a questionable notion at best. You can either keep low level abilities part of the main rotation or you can keep adding new buttons that change the main rotation, but one of them has to give eventually. Since BLM already drops a few abilities at higher levels (t1, b2) and has another few that you (almost) never use in the first place (freeze, apocastasis), it wouldn't be some grave sin for f1 and b1 to become more situational.

Even if you did need to keep them, it would feel more BLM-like to me if F4 could proc an instant/off-GCD f1 (which could then proc a free F3). BLM gameplay was based around proc reactivity, not managing timers.

Why use thunder 2 over thunder 1?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tenzarin posted:

Why use thunder 2 over thunder 1?

Better damage, cast time not onerous when you do have to hardcast it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Better damage, cast time not onerous when you do have to hardcast it?

The dot is the same, 35 dmg. The cast time of t1 lets it fit into umbral ice if you need 1s more to regen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tenzarin posted:

The dot is the same, 35 dmg.

Extra potency up front and a longer dot.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is determination for dots now.

Doesn't that mean that nuke/dot potency per second comparisons are all suspect? Like, does it actually make sense to say that T1's full dot is worth 240 potency of damage anymore, when each point of T1 potency is actually worth more than each point of F1 potency?

seorin posted:

B2, Freeze, Apocatastasis and so on have always been weird situational bennies, but in particular a bread and butter spell like Fire 1 actually has a core trait keeping it important. If Fire 4 could effectively replace Fire 1 it'd make Firestarter come up barely ever.

In general, I wouldn't really agree that abilities obsoleting each other at higher level is a BLM thing - T1 vs. T2 is really the only piece of egregious redundancy that comes to mind (though if you ask me, it's T2 that's largely pointless), everything else has at least situational use. Hell, there's even a situational difference between T1 and T2, it's just such a minor and abstractly mathematical one that it's almost impossible to notice and act on it with any degree of regularity.

I was actually hoping that T2 would get changed to a short-duration AoE, or T2 would become T3 while T3 becomes a shadowflare-esque thunderstorm zone, or something, but nothin' doin'.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
You don't have time for T2 in the new rotation. It's either T1 or B4 because Enochian is about to fall off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Black magic with no cast time doesn't seem like final fantasy at all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Veks posted:

You don't have time for T2 in the new rotation. It's either T1 or B4 because Enochian is about to fall off.

Even at level 50, I've always understood that B3->T1->B1->F3 was an on-average superior umbral cycle to B3->T2->F3, although I know that technically speaking if you were an autistic savant or android you could calculate on the fly whether the delay before your next mana regen tick meant that T1,B1 or T2 was more time-efficient.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just give me the catgirl pigtails on Au'ra, please.

Au'ra hime cut for Midlanders Yoshi Please.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ferrinus posted:

Even at level 50, I've always understood that B3->T1->B1->F3 was an on-average superior umbral cycle to B3->T2->F3, although I know that technically speaking if you were an autistic savant or android you could calculate on the fly whether the delay before your next mana regen tick meant that T1,B1 or T2 was more time-efficient.

I count to 3 in sync with the game every second I am playing it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Eimi posted:

Au Ra Goku hair for catgirls highlanders, please.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mazed posted:

I'm entering. Thinking pompadours and/or microbraids.

Yes, yes please.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ferrinus posted:

B2, Freeze, Apocatastasis and so on have always been weird situational bennies, but in particular a bread and butter spell like Fire 1 actually has a core trait keeping it important. If Fire 4 could effectively replace Fire 1 it'd make Firestarter come up barely ever.

In general, I wouldn't really agree that abilities obsoleting each other at higher level is a BLM thing - T1 vs. T2 is really the only piece of egregious redundancy that comes to mind (though if you ask me, it's T2 that's largely pointless), everything else has at least situational use. Hell, there's even a situational difference between T1 and T2, it's just such a minor and abstractly mathematical one that it's almost impossible to notice and act on it with any degree of regularity.

I was actually hoping that T2 would get changed to a short-duration AoE, or T2 would become T3 while T3 becomes a shadowflare-esque thunderstorm zone, or something, but nothin' doin'.

Nothing says F4 couldn't proc Firestarter too. But in general with this expansion its in many ways button overload so they will have to start replacing stuff sooner or later. But with regards to Thunder yeah, it's always been a weird situation with how red headed stepchild T2 is.

Also a Thunderstorm zone sounds kickass, it should happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ferrinus posted:

Doesn't that mean that nuke/dot potency per second comparisons are all suspect? Like, does it actually make sense to say that T1's full dot is worth 240 potency of damage anymore, when each point of T1 potency is actually worth more than each point of F1 potency?

We don't know exactly how to compare it, but if anything it probably puts dots on par with other attacks boosted by det rather than pushed over the top. Comparing just straight potency to potency is the best comparison we have for making general statements and most likely always will be.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Eimi posted:

Nothing says F4 couldn't proc Firestarter too. But in general with this expansion its in many ways button overload so they will have to start replacing stuff sooner or later. But with regards to Thunder yeah, it's always been a weird situation with how red headed stepchild T2 is.

Also a Thunderstorm zone sounds kickass, it should happen.

I'd expect that the next time the level cap increases it'll either be bundled with some kind of condensation/rework of lower-level abilities or you'll mostly level up and learn new traits rather than new actions.

Mr. Nice! posted:

We don't know exactly how to compare it, but if anything it probably puts dots on par with other attacks boosted by det rather than pushed over the top. Comparing just straight potency to potency is the best comparison we have for making general statements and most likely always will be.

Surely DoT damage was affected by Determination already. Or does Determination only affect instantaneous, on-application damage?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I want shaved sides/long top for male characters so bad that I am actually thinking of getting out my sketchbook and entering.

Isn't this already in? I know Highlanders have a similar haircut, not sure if other races have access to it.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

Ferrinus posted:

Surely DoT damage was affected by Determination already. Or does Determination only affect instantaneous, on-application damage?

it was, now dots double dip and get det and ss bonuses

also t2 is garbage and they should totally rework it into a field, same w b2

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ferrinus posted:

I'd expect that the next time the level cap increases it'll either be bundled with some kind of condensation/rework of lower-level abilities or you'll mostly level up and learn new traits rather than new actions.

They changed the way det works in HW. It no longer boosts auto attacks and likely even if it did boost dots back in 2.0, it no longer does. SS now boosts dot damage per potency.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If dots are boosted by both determination and spellspeed then comparing them to regular spells is kind of fraught because they're secretly better than they are.

If dots are boosted by spellspeed but not determination, while nukes are boosted by both in the obvious way, doesn't that make dots secretly worse, unless the boost dots get from one stat is proportionately better than the boost nukes get from either of their two contributing stats, at which point stat weighting would be weird...??

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

They changed the way det works in HW. It no longer boosts auto attacks and likely even if it did boost dots back in 2.0, it no longer does. SS now boosts dot damage per potency.

Det still boosts auto-attack damage, just not as much as other attacks. And this is the first I've heard of det not affecting DOTs.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

nuru posted:

DoW/DoM retainers care only about ilvl. DoL retainers care only about Gathering skill.
Is this still true? I've been sending my MIN/BTN retainers out more or less constantly, but I don't think they've brought back any HQs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're the first person I've ever heard claim that Det no longer affects DoTs, and S-E certainly never has. Where are you getting this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eimi posted:

Ridiculous pompadours for everybody please.

EDIT: with jiggle physics.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

Det still boosts auto-attack damage, just not as much as other attacks. And this is the first I've heard of det not affecting DOTs.

You're right that it still does boost auto attacks. I misread that.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're the first person I've ever heard claim that Det no longer affects DoTs, and S-E certainly never has. Where are you getting this?

I was just under the probably misguided impression that they replaced det on dots with SS. Probably just me being an idiot again. Nothing really new to see here.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Potato Jones posted:

Is this still true? I've been sending my MIN/BTN retainers out more or less constantly, but I don't think they've brought back any HQs.

Ok, small caveat is that although perception does increase HQ percentage, it does nothing to meet the requirements to actually send the retainer out on field / botany / mining ventures. Unless your retainer is wearing basically best in slot gear, you may end up melding Gathering onto the right side pieces to meet requirements for the highest level ventures (at least at 50, this may have changed at 60).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Currently, all ventures gatherers can try are easier than the old level 50 ones. I haven't had to upgrade the gear on my fisher at all yet.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

nuru posted:

(at least at 50, this may have changed at 60).
Your information was correct before Heavensward, but it may not be accurate now. The Gathering requirements for ventures were greatly reduced for all DoL jobs, which leads me to believe there were other internal changes as well. Based on my experience, Perception now plays a larger role in gathering HQ materials (through hourly ventures) than before. Large enough that I still haven't received HQ mats.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Potato Jones posted:

Your information was correct before Heavensward, but it may not be accurate now. The Gathering requirements for ventures were greatly reduced for all DoL jobs, which leads me to believe there were other internal changes as well. Based on my experience, Perception now plays a larger role in gathering HQ materials (through hourly ventures) than before. Large enough that I still haven't received HQ mats.

For ARR they had a patch note about perception and Gathering retainers. If they changed it they didn't put anything in the notes about it, but perhaps there was always just some minimum perception bar? Someone could check pretty easily by just slapping Serpentskin gear and updated weapons on a retainer and sending a bunch of 1 hour ventures out. Mine are wearing melded 55/60 with Forager's gear, but I haven't watched my HQ. What gear are your retainers wearing?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ugh, I had a PLD in the Aery that failed to get into the bubble for Nidhogg's big attack twice in a row. For some reason he decided to tank the last dragon waaaay far away in the middle of the arena and then didn't run back until the last possible second.

Then Nidhogg would kill me before he could get aggro back, and then the healer would get sable price and it all went to poo poo. Group fell apart after the second time, but at least the PLD was nice enough to take the abandon penalty.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

If dots are boosted by both determination and spellspeed then comparing them to regular spells is kind of fraught because they're secretly better than they are.

If dots are boosted by spellspeed but not determination, while nukes are boosted by both in the obvious way, doesn't that make dots secretly worse, unless the boost dots get from one stat is proportionately better than the boost nukes get from either of their two contributing stats, at which point stat weighting would be weird...??

My understanding was that if you have enough spell speed to cut your casting time by 25%, your dots get boosted by a factor of 1/.75 = 1.333.... Which means that spell speed increases your DPS for dots and non-dots by the same amount. I may be horribly wrong.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
But since skill/spell speed affects DoTs by making them tick faster, you should have to hit a breakpoint where your ability ticks an extra time for it to matter at all, right?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Zereth posted:

Ridiculous pompadours for everybody please.

EDIT: with jiggle physics.

They gave us a jotoro cosplay with the moogle hat so hopefully they'll give us Josuke hair for the best JoJo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

VHGS posted:

But since skill/spell speed affects DoTs by making them tick faster, you should have to hit a breakpoint where your ability ticks an extra time for it to matter at all, right?

DoTs never ever tick any faster or slower. They always tick every three seconds, at the exact same time as every other DoT everyone else has put down.

(edit) For further clarification each DoT will tick (duration / 3s) times for each application if they are allowed to run out, no matter where in the 3s DoT 'cycle' they are applied.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

VHGS posted:

they don't tick faster, that was just speculation when we heard * speeds would improve DoTs

• Locked thread