Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Silent Hill 1 with Hard Puzzles :getin:

VVV yes those

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Silent Hill 1 with Hard Puzzles :getin:

I think you mean Silent Hill 2 where knowledge of Shakespeare is necessary to get through one puzzle.

e: Whoops, that was SH3 but SH2's hard puzzles are kicks in the nuts as well.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thinking about playing through all five nights at freddies games. Do they hold up if you marathon them. I can imagine they are all fairly short right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Thinking about playing through all five nights at freddies games. Do they hold up if you marathon them. I can imagine they are all fairly short right?

Perfect play, yeah. But a lot of it is left to chance, which means getting through a game takes a long time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciz59rEiSMM
Naninights looks good.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I don't really think any of the games hold up for their entire play time. They're fun for about half an hour but there's so much trial-and-error and randomness that it'll take you at least double that to beat each game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't really think any of the games hold up for their entire play time. They're fun for about half an hour but there's so much trial-and-error and randomness that it'll take you at least double that to beat each game.

I equate playing it to the Souls series in some sense. You could theoretically beat it in three hours but it will take you six months because it is so infuriating that it is difficult to really marathon it.

Plus the jumpscares get real old real fast

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I equate playing it to the Souls series in some sense. You could theoretically beat it in three hours but it will take you six months because it is so infuriating that it is difficult to really marathon it.

Plus the jumpscares get real old real fast

I played the poo poo out of the Souls games, but FNAF is just repetitive and random.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FNAF actually has consistent logic, it's not random. There are a bunch of no death runs and even a speedrun of FNAF2 because there's a built in level skip. FWIW an in-game hour is about 1m30s so each game will take about 55-60 minutes assuming you know the game perfectly. If not, yeah, you're looking at 2+ hours at least floundering.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

FNAF actually has consistent logic, it's not random. There are a bunch of no death runs and even a speedrun of FNAF2 because there's a built in level skip. FWIW an in-game hour is about 1m30s so each game will take about 55-60 minutes assuming you know the game perfectly. If not, yeah, you're looking at 2+ hours at least floundering.

Is there a general guide for this logic? I am just curious, because it sure looks random, would be interested in the internal logic

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Gil Kenan, who directed the Poltergeist remake and wrote/directed Monster House, is currently tapped to be the director and co-writer for the Five Nights at Freddy's movie.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Father Wendigo posted:

Gil Kenan, who directed the Poltergeist remake and wrote/directed Monster House, is currently tapped to be the director and co-writer for the Five Nights at Freddy's movie.

Poltergeist was competent and didn't take itself too seriously while at the same time not being total camp. Sounds like a good choice for a FNAF movie.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Carbon Thief posted:

Theresia is one of my favourite DS games, but it is more adventure game/interactive novel than most horror games are. There's no combat, just traps and puzzles as you piece together what happened in the aftermath of a war.

Actually, while I'm thinking of it, can someone suggest more puzzle-based horror games? I love those parts of early Resident Evil/Silent Hill games but I'm not great at the combat parts of most games. (I gave up on RE4 halfway through because even 'easy' was too hard.)

I'm not huge on combat in horror games either-- I feel like it takes away from it. Off the top of my head, any of the RPG maker games. Corpse Party. Irisu Syndrome. Obviously, Amnesia (and to an extent, the Penumbra series; there is combat, but it's geared to drive you toward stealth instead.) Presumably Soma when it comes out. The Charnel House Trilogy (wasn't huge on the 'gameplay', but I'm gonna hold out hope that the sequel isn't as ridiculously easy). The Zero Escape series (999 is more horror oriented than Virtue's Last Reward, which is shame, because VLR was better organized). Clock Tower. Claire. The Lone Survivor (it's hard for me to recommend this one since I got stuck on a pixel hunt and gave up something like an hour in, but maybe I was missing something obvious). The Chzo Mythos was decent when I played it back in highschool, but only 5 Days a Stranger and Trilby's Notes.

Someone else will have to recommend The Cat Lady, since I haven't gotten around to it yet and have no idea how puzzle heavy it is.1

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Someone else will have to recommend The Cat Lady, since I haven't gotten around to it yet and have no idea how puzzle heavy it is.1

I'll field this one since I did the LP on the Archive

The Cat Lady is Very Good but is light on the puzzle elements. It's very much an adventure game, in that most of the "puzzles" involves finding the thing to use on the thing. That being said, some of the puzzles are very cool and kinda mindfucky, but also somewhat internally consistent so you don't end up with Use Potted Plant on Toll Collector to gain Bananna Smoothie.

It's good, play it. Just expect to be a bit annoyed because, despite its very cool visuals, the engine is complete crap. Playable, but annoying.

Also, in regards to a very large disclaimer, the game can be a bit rough the first time through. While playing it again it became kind of silly, but if you are playing it alone for the first time then it can be a bit dreary. I mean, it starts you playing as a woman committing suicide.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 30, 2015

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Cat Lady has a really good first 95% of a chapter and then goes off the rails into goofy who cares territory. I mean I wouldn't call it terrible or anything, but it felt like a ton of wasted promise.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

The Cat Lady has a really good first 95% of a chapter and then goes off the rails into goofy who cares territory. I mean I wouldn't call it terrible or anything, but it felt like a ton of wasted promise.

Are you talking about The Cat Widow? That was kind of just a silly joke, but is jarring right in the middle of the story

Tromping up and down the stairs in the investigation was supremely irritating too.

VVVV I can't imagine why you would think that

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Playable, but annoying.

Even this isn't a guarantee, because it blue screens my home PC whenever I try to run it. A shame too, because I really wanted to play it last Halloween.

I think it runs on my work PC, but from what I've heard it has some scenes that aren't the kind of thing I want people wandering by to notice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is there a general guide for this logic? I am just curious, because it sure looks random, would be interested in the internal logic

The wiki is probably the best resource, I don't know if anyone has written a comprehensive guide. I've only played the first game but spoiler if there's actually someone out there who gives a poo poo:

Bonnie is always on the left. His goal is to stand by the door long enough to disable it and which point you'll lose the next time you check the camera. He disables the camera when he leaves a room and commonly appears outside the office. Chica is the exact same as Bonnie except she's on the right and can only move to adjacent rooms. Her goal is the same as Bonnie but she lingers by the door while Bonnie splits within a couple seconds.

Freddy will only attack from the right and moves when you're not looking at him. Foxy has 4 phases: curtains, curtains parted, fully visible, gone. If Foxy isn't at Pirate's Cove then you must immediately shut the left door. If you look at the hallway Foxy will run and you'll probably lose, otherwise he'll walk up to the office and bang on the door then reset to curtains/curtains parted. Foxy is seemingly arbitrary but is on a hidden timer. Watching him too often speeds up the timer but it'll also speed up if the interval between your last view was too long.

So the "strategy" to FNAF is that Bonnie and Chica are there to waste your energy. Because Chica and Bonnie won't attack until you look at the camera, Foxy and Freddy are there to trigger that state. Freddy will go through the right door but is invisible if Chica is in the room with him. He doesn't appear in the blind spot so if Freddy isn't on camera then he's in whatever room Chica is currently in. Foxy is the easiest to deal with since there are only two states you really need to care about : docile or attacking. Foxy will drain a ton of energy if he bangs on the door so you have to get into a rhythm of checking his room while you keep tabs on Freddy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 30, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Irony.or.Death posted:

the fact that the whole premise of "ridding the world's parasites" is in fact go and kill a bunch of hilariously stereotypical movie serial killers (incl a doctor who mutilates girls and a couple who acid baths victims) is a real turn-off for me and it seemed like an excuse to be 2edgey4me with the art direction. also lol at the solution to the final boss being dont' feed the troll

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know what, I generally don't like Horror games, but SOMA has my attention. I haven't looked at it since at least like mid-May, so finding there was a new trailer (many even!), as well as new stuff on the site got my attention. What got it more was that the horror doesn't need to come from the monsters, or from blood and gore, it can come from the implications of what's around you, and more to the point, your own actions. The easiest way through seems like it would generally be to say gently caress the robots and just disable them or damage them when convenient. But they're all sentient, possibly being human minds trapped in robot bodies, and they can feel pain, and the first one in the 12.5 minute gameplay trailer begs you to stop, pitiably, unable to act or influence what you do as you doom it casually.

That seems much more interesting overall than any sort of monster, to me at least.

Buying it when it comes out. No Question.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

al-azad posted:

The wiki is probably the best resource, I don't know if anyone has written a comprehensive guide. I've only played the first game but spoiler if there's actually someone out there who gives a poo poo:

Bonnie is always on the left. His goal is to stand by the door long enough to disable it and which point you'll lose the next time you check the camera. He disables the camera when he leaves a room and commonly appears outside the office. Chica is the exact same as Bonnie except she's on the right and can only move to adjacent rooms. Her goal is the same as Bonnie but she lingers by the door while Bonnie splits within a couple seconds.

Freddy will only attack from the right and moves when you're not looking at him. Foxy has 4 phases: curtains, curtains parted, fully visible, gone. If Foxy isn't at Pirate's Cove then you must immediately shut the left door. If you look at the hallway Foxy will run and you'll probably lose, otherwise he'll walk up to the office and bang on the door then reset to curtains/curtains parted. Foxy is seemingly arbitrary but is on a hidden timer. Watching him too often speeds up the timer but it'll also speed up if the interval between your last view was too long.

So the "strategy" to FNAF is that Bonnie and Chica are there to waste your energy. Because Chica and Bonnie won't attack until you look at the camera, Foxy and Freddy are there to trigger that state. Freddy will go through the right door but is invisible if Chica is in the room with him. He doesn't appear in the blind spot so if Freddy isn't on camera then he's in whatever room Chica is currently in. Foxy is the easiest to deal with since there are only two states you really need to care about : docile or attacking. Foxy will drain a ton of energy if he bangs on the door so you have to get into a rhythm of checking his room while you keep tabs on Freddy.

Following on from this the optimal set of actions to beat FNAF1 is

Check right, close if animatronic there, shut left door, open camera to check on foxy, repeat

Or at least that is how I remember you beat 20/20/20/20

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the fact that the whole premise of "ridding the world's parasites" is in fact go and kill a bunch of hilariously stereotypical movie serial killers (incl a doctor who mutilates girls and a couple who acid baths victims) is a real turn-off for me and it seemed like an excuse to be 2edgey4me with the art direction. also lol at the solution to the final boss being dont' feed the troll

I only saw about the first half of a The Cat Lady LP and I have to agree with this. The 'villains' are so bad I quit watching.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Silent Hill FTW

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ekster posted:

I only saw about the first half of a The Cat Lady LP and I have to agree with this. The 'villains' are so bad I quit watching.

They are very cliche, yeah.

I am slightly surprised Jason never showed up

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Five Nights at Freddy's movie is looking pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a0Y-CRx4nE&t=30s

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

A new trailer for Tangiers has gone up, and it looks like it's finally got a release date for late November this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3F2P-OMLQ

It's been a while since there's been any news, so just to get everyone up to speed, Tangiers is a stealth game set in a malleable world influenced by the surrealists, William Burroughs, J. G. Ballard, among others. You've got to sneak around and kill some guys, and the world will radically alter itself as you go about your business. Apparently one of the key mechanics involves stealing dialogue from NPCs and fashioning it into traps and diversions.

(Yeah, it's not quite "horror", but we don't have a thread for literary-"weird"/avant-garde games, so here it goes.)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Just finished The Evil Within and loved it. I'm surprised it got such mixed reviews, although I did play it after all the patches and with letterbox disabled. I thought it was great solid game design. Every bit that seemed ridiculous and impossible at first just took some thought and patience. Really scratched the RE4/Dead Space itch.

I'm afraid to recommend it for $60 considering the mixed reactions, but if you can get the game on sale I would highly recommend picking it up. I personally consider it one of the best survival/action horror games I've played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scott Cawthon posted a good message on the Steam forums. He's a cool dude, passionate about what he does and I'm a sucker for feel good stories. It's nice getting away from egotistical developers (coughparanauticalactivity) and the internet is often cruel.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roman posted:

Just finished The Evil Within and loved it. I'm surprised it got such mixed reviews, although I did play it after all the patches and with letterbox disabled. I thought it was great solid game design. Every bit that seemed ridiculous and impossible at first just took some thought and patience. Really scratched the RE4/Dead Space itch.

I'm afraid to recommend it for $60 considering the mixed reactions, but if you can get the game on sale I would highly recommend picking it up. I personally consider it one of the best survival/action horror games I've played.

It's not a BAD game, it's just kind of an average AAA game. High production values, and I think the first couple levels are legitimately great (the RE4-ish village areas). The thing about it is that the plot is just all over the place - a lot of people have complained that it's too complicated but I don't think that's really true. The issue with the plot isn't its complexity (because it's actually pretty simple - they just don't explain anything until the end), it's more that it's very undirected. You don't really have any feeling of what you're doing in the game or why, and because the game doesn't have a consistent geography with all the shifting environments, it's hard to feel any real sense of progress. It's more of a series of unconnected set pieces rather than a coherent narrative, and even if the framing does at least give a reason for that, having a reason to be incoherent doesn't make it any less incoherent.

The game seems to kind of not have any idea of what sort of game it is, either. Early on they introduce stealth mechanics and I think the best section in the game by far is the open village area early on, where there are enemies all over the place but you have a lot of freedom to sneak around and take them out one by one, but also have just enough firepower that you can survive a straight fight, but it will be challenging. After that point it gets more shooting oriented and the levels take on a more linear feeling which just never quite feels as fun. The shooting mechanics themselves feel fine but there's not a huge variety of weapons or anything and the upgrades are just incremental stat boosts, so you never get anything really cool like RE4's special powers for fully upgraded weapons that can completely change how you use them. I think the game would have been better if it had all been designed like those early mixed stealth sections, but even if it was straighter action I would have been okay with that too - it's just the fact that it kind of transitions from one to the other which leaves both of them feeling half-finished.

That said, I haven't played the DLCs and they seem to have gotten a much more positive reception than the original game, so they might be more the kind of thing I wanted from the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, my issue with Evil Within is that it tried to be very "mindtrippy" but ended up just being nonsensical instead. Even now I am sitting here trying to remember what was even the objective of the game at the halfway mark. Something about chasing a guy, who had something to do with crazy mind experiements? I am intentionally leaving out details about the man and experiments, but they aren't even relevant because there's really not a lot of drive to do it aside from "it will progress the plot".

Leon Kennedy, why is he there? Because he has to save the president's hot daughter. Bam. Simple. What is the detective in Evil Within doing there? Uh, shooting things, I guess.

Also, gently caress that "only can be hurt by fire" boss. The drat thing is so finicky with what it will and will not accept as "close enough" to the fire.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Evil Within is a game about a misplaced protagonist. Sebastian barely has anything to do with the narrative. The woman's story seems much more interesting.

Plus the game was just full of cheap rear end instant deaths.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

only thing I can remember about Evil Within is how mindcrushingly bad the framerate looked on my ps4 and how stiff everything was. They sure didn't want you to feel like you were having fun in the first 3 or 4 chapters

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I can get what you guys are saying. I didn't care about the story really, although that's usually not a dealbreaker for me in games. I loved RE4 but it was the only RE game I played so I had no idea what was going on and didn't care. I didn't mind the transition from stealth to action either. If the whole game had ALL been like the first stealth half I might have got tired of it early on.

I didn't even mind the stuff most people complained about, like the movement (which I just got used to). Or the invisible enemies - I just looked out for splashes on the ground and stood around the wheelchairs and stuff so they would have to shove through them to get to me.

The only parts that bugged me was that some of the levels didn't feel like an organic part of the game as others, like the two parts near the end: The big arena where you fought off waves of Haunted and the room with the two Keepers. Stuff like that stuck out as feeling like DLC "challenge rooms" shoehorned into the main game. Stuff like that felt like padding they could have done without.

I do want to check out the first 2 DLCs. I hear they're more like the first half of the game, and fill out the missing plot stuff.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

al-azad posted:

Scott Cawthon posted a good message on the Steam forums. He's a cool dude, passionate about what he does and I'm a sucker for feel good stories. It's nice getting away from egotistical developers (coughparanauticalactivity) and the internet is often cruel.

Scott posted:

I don’t party on weekends, I don’t get drunk or sip martinis. I spend my evenings playing Megaman 3, buster only, with my kids. And I try to do good with what's been given to me.

Well that puts him next to Jesus in my book.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What a classy loving dude.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, my issue with Evil Within is that it tried to be very "mindtrippy" but ended up just being nonsensical instead. Even now I am sitting here trying to remember what was even the objective of the game at the halfway mark. Something about chasing a guy, who had something to do with crazy mind experiements? I am intentionally leaving out details about the man and experiments, but they aren't even relevant because there's really not a lot of drive to do it aside from "it will progress the plot".

Leon Kennedy, why is he there? Because he has to save the president's hot daughter. Bam. Simple. What is the detective in Evil Within doing there? Uh, shooting things, I guess.

Also, gently caress that "only can be hurt by fire" boss. The drat thing is so finicky with what it will and will not accept as "close enough" to the fire.
Well the reason the detectives are going to the hospital is because there was an alarm pulled and police were called in to investigate what was going on. On a deeper level, they were specifically called in because the not Umbrella corporation that was trying to use Ruvik's tech for mind controlling the populus felt that Seb (who had been searching for his wife, who had been killed/lost while investigating Ruvik's initial murders at his family's creepy mansion) might know more than is letting on, and hoped to get more information out of him while also driving him insane/getting rid of him as a problem). So it's not as if it was three random characters driving along and not having a point in being there.

I'm not trying to say that the game doesn't have it's weak spots (like pretty much all the city sections near the end of the game), but some of the complaints people have about the game are pretty strange, like:

blackguy32 posted:

The Evil Within is a game about a misplaced protagonist. Sebastian barely has anything to do with the narrative. The woman's story seems much more interesting.

Plus the game was just full of cheap rear end instant deaths.
I don't remember many, if any, cheap instant deaths. Like what sections had these? And Sebastian was more than just a random guy, he did have some connection to Ruvik and was damaged enough for him to be more susceptible to the machine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Niggurath posted:

I don't remember many, if any, cheap instant deaths. Like what sections had these? And Sebastian was more than just a random guy, he did have some connection to Ruvik and was damaged enough for him to be more susceptible to the machine.

I know I loving hated the motion-detecting mines that straight-up ignored enemies. I was expecting to use them as a cool trap, but nope.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Morpheus posted:

I know I loving hated the motion-detecting mines that straight-up ignored enemies. I was expecting to use them as a cool trap, but nope.
They're a cool trap when you shoot them while an enemy is near them? Also, those aren't really 'cheap' to me cause they're easily avoidable and super telegraphed. To me a cheap instant death trap would be like in RE 4 when you're walking along a valley and suddenly you're in a QTE to escape a boulder and then dying when you miss the final QTE.

I think the cheapest death I remember was in the mansion section where you're walking down a hall and suddenly you're grabbed by something and dragged towards a grinder trap.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wait, are people really slagging him for making these games? Yeah I poke fun but they are actually well designed and creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Well that puts him next to Jesus in my book.
Anyone that clean-cut has to have bodies buried in the vegetable garden. :stare: