Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I think it is from FFX

To Zanarkand. It's also the menu music. It's probably the single greatest VGM composition by Nobuo Uematsu arguable of any VGM from its generation.

The semi sort of licensed Nobou Uematsu cover band Black Mages did a cover of it.

https://youtu.be/tqJn5Lrqb2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Blaziken386 posted:

I think you guys are all being a little unnecessarily unfair about Lord Justice's posts. I think they're pretty chill. Keep doin' what you're doin', LJ.

My thanks.

In retrospect, this debate was an overreaction on my part. The subject matter I was attempting to argue against is overall a very minor part of Madoka, and wasn't worth the extended posting on it. The objectification of women is a very sore point for me, and it can cause me to overreact to things that aren't necessarily there. In future I'll attempt to regulate myself better when posting.

Mea culpa.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Regulate your word count tia

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

My thanks.

In retrospect, this debate was an overreaction on my part. The subject matter I was attempting to argue against is overall a very minor part of Madoka, and wasn't worth the extended posting on it. The objectification of women is a very sore point for me, and it can cause me to overreact to things that aren't necessarily there. In future I'll attempt to regulate myself better when posting.

Mea culpa.

Speak English.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

or at least pretend you aren't writing a 100 level term paper last minute

like i get that some thoughts and concepts require more effort to properly express, but it comes across super pretentious if you just keep couching simple stuff in larger than necessary terms, when people obviously understood the point in your first wall of text

not trying to be anti-intellectual or anything but when you keep saying people are missing your point and then write in an even more obtuse way, the problem might be your own method of expression and if you just keep running with it, it's hard for people to actually assume you're being genuine in your opinion

or maybe that's just me v:shobon:v

.jpg posted:

I think you've all been very mean to Lord Justice over the past few days. He just wants Madoka to get the same respect any pure and beautiful work of art deserves

In fact, I've been working closely with him to put together the definitive Rebellion masterwork edition, as it was intended to be from the start. I've rendered out a few sample cuts so you can get a feel for what our vision is really about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxukdpAD1Ew

this is super cool

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

or at least pretend you aren't writing a 100 level term paper last minute

like i get that some thoughts and concepts require more effort to properly express, but it comes across super pretentious if you just keep couching simple stuff in larger than necessary terms, when people obviously understood the point in your first wall of text

not trying to be anti-intellectual or anything but when you keep saying people are missing your point and then write in an even more obtuse way, the problem might be your own method of expression and if you just keep running with it, it's hard for people to actually assume you're being genuine in your opinion

or maybe that's just me v:shobon:v

Since this keeps coming up, I'll address it the once here. My prose construction is what it is, it is not an attempt to "seem intelligent", rather it is just what comes naturally to me when constructing my writing. I don't believe it is overly complex or overwrought, and compared to posts such as my longer form analyses, everything I've written lately has been as short, concise and to the point as I can make it. Whether you agree with that or not is up to you, and if it really bothers you that much, functions such as the ignore feature are always present. I also do not wish to degenerate my prose to such a degree, I feel that my language construction would lose too much meaning if I were to do so.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're pretentious as poo poo lol

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Shortened without losing the slightest bit of meaning:

Lord Justice posted:

Since this keeps coming up, I'll say it again. My writing style is what it is, I'm not trying to "seem intelligent", it's just what comes naturally to me while writing. I don't think it's overdone and compared to other posts, such as my long-form analysis, everything I've posted lately has been as short as I can make it. Whether you agree is up to you and if it really bothers you that much you can always use the ignore function. I don't want to reduce my prose that much, I feel I'd lose too much meaning if I did so.

A more useful summation:

Lord Justice posted:

I'm not trying to look smart I'm just incapable of writing concisely and I don't want to fix the problem because I'm somehow convinced that all the extra words give my message more meaning.

A concept to explore: Line breaks. If you're gonna write a lot of words then space'em out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Brevity's cool and can be the real way to look smart, imo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

Since this keeps coming up, I'll address it the once here. My prose construction is what it is, it is not an attempt to "seem intelligent", rather it is just what comes naturally to me when constructing my writing. I don't believe it is overly complex or overwrought, and compared to posts such as my longer form analyses, everything I've written lately has been as short, concise and to the point as I can make it. Whether you agree with that or not is up to you, and if it really bothers you that much, functions such as the ignore feature are always present. I also do not wish to degenerate my prose to such a degree, I feel that my language construction would lose too much meaning if I were to do so.

Jesus christ

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I took his advice and put him on ignore, I suggest you all do the same.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The ignore function is for the weak.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I took his advice and put him on ignore, I suggest you all do the same.

Don't use ignore, don't post about putting people on ignore

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice posted:

The ignore function is for the weak.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

you are a broken human being

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

Jesus could you imagine talking to this guy at a bar? At work? At school?

It'd be loving insufferable.

Lord Justice: please pay attention

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

You're ruining this thread.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lock this thread until more madoka exists

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Command Ant posted:

You're ruining this thread.

The opposite reading is true, because those posts resulted in .jpg's video.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

Lock this thread until more madoka exists

All this kerfuffle has reminded me that I never watched Rebellion and heck, maybe I'll fix that this weekend.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Personally I think Lord Justice should do his thing and if people don't like reading his posts, which is fair and reasonable, they can ignore them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Srice posted:

All this kerfuffle has reminded me that I never watched Rebellion and heck, maybe I'll fix that this weekend.

Don't bother, it objectified homura by showing her shoulders, thus retroactively ruining the entire franchise.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

you are a broken human being

rude!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

Since this keeps coming up , I'll address it the once here. My prose construction is what it is, it is not an attempt to "seem intelligent", rather it is just what comes naturally to me when constructing my writing. I don't believe it is overly complex or overwrought, and compared to posts such as my longer form analyses, everything I've written lately has been as short, concise and to the point as I can make it. Whether you agree with that or not is up to you, and if it really bothers you that much, functions such as the ignore feature are always present. I also do not wish to degenerate my prose to such a degree, I feel that my language construction would lose too much meaning if I were to do so.

If that's what comes naturally to you then fix it. It is not doing you any favors. Seriously that's not only *bad* writing, it is also annoying as gently caress and totally fails at communicating your meaning.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 30, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

I'll expound, and I'll be positive to use sizable terms so that you'll be sure to apprehend:

loving cool movie, watch it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

trucutru posted:

I'll expound, and I'll be positive to use sizable terms so that you'll be sure to apprehend:

loving cool movie, watch it

While I was never really into the writing side of Madoka, Shinbo is a really cool director.

And since Kizumonogatari isn't coming out until the heat death of the universe, I figure Rebellion will let me see him strut his stuff without the restraints that come with a weekly tv series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mami vs homura fight is insanely good.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like using words too and it can be useful to spend many words clarifying your thoughts when you want to express very specific ideas, but it's just as useful to use concise language to make your ideas easy to follow. If a more thorough explanation is requested then that's fine, otherwise just get to the point.

Srice posted:

While I was never really into the writing side of Madoka, Shinbo is a really cool director.

And since Kizumonogatari isn't coming out until the heat death of the universe, I figure Rebellion will let me see him strut his stuff without the restraints that come with a weekly tv series.

Gekidan Inu Curry in particular really outdid themselves with Rebellion, and that's saying something considering their work on the TV series and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

the mami vs homura fight is insanely good.

Yes. I thought the transformation scenes were really good in Rebellion as well.

Kill the thread.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Srice posted:

Brevity's cool and can be the real way to look smart, imo.

"I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had the time to make it shorter." - Blaise Pascal

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I blame the education system. We always teach these kids to extend their musings in order to cap out on some arbitrary word limit, as if more words makes a piece better. I'm not saying we should just go and allow them to submit whatever length, but if you can communicate something in 250 words, why demand they write 2000?

And then when they get an actual job, they'll have bosses and it becomes suddenly really easy to write over 20,000 words on a project you are working on, but bosses don't have time to read that and if you can't concise it down to a 200 letter e-mail, you'll often just infuriate your superiors with bullshit.

Documentation is a different matter, but if it isn't nearly completely automated, you are not doing an efficient job archiving your documentation.

It's also kind of rude way to write on forums unless you are literally dissecting something. When engaging in normal conversations, dumb it down. People read more than enough prose through their work, I'd bet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

It's also kind of rude way to write on forums unless you are literally dissecting something. When engaging in normal conversations, dumb it down. People read more than enough prose through their work, I'd bet.

Wouldn't that degenerate my prose to such a degree that my language construction would lose too much meaning?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Wouldn't that degenerate my prose to such a degree that my language construction would lose too much meaning?

It is unavoidable. It is... Sociable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Jesus could you imagine talking to this guy at a bar? At work? At school?

It'd be loving insufferable.

That was my first thought. This isn't meant to pile on top of LJ, but people tend to type how they speak. And if his writing style is any indication, I'd probably want to perforate my own eardrums listening to him.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay.

So I'm not an Animes man. Watched the Bebop, Akira, Evangelion, Miyazaki, and I reaaaaaally liked Satoshi Kon. That's the extent of my anime knowledge right there. I figured once I'd give the moving pictures versions of Berserk and JoJo a try, but it fell kinda flat for me. Too little motion, stupid CGI, dialog feels stupid when condensed to a Magical Narration Second instead of some speech bubbles.

And then some girl starts talking about Madoka, how it's apparently awesome, but it's also recommended to me by a self-confessed brony, so like hell I'm stepping near that one.
When I actually gave it a try, I literally knew nothing about it except there's magical girls and a bunnycat which is evil, but I thought people exaggerate.

:stare:

Seriously, I've seen nothing like it. I've later read people comparing it to the insanity of late Evangelion, but Evangelion was painful until the last six episodes + End of Evangelion or so. The fights scenes were so great, and I love the different styles for the witches. I couldn't really imagine how to continue from the series except for a major retcon (and I guess the last movie did, in fact, have a character in-universe forcibly retcon the story?), but Rebellion did a nice job. Liked how people kept punking time-stop powers.

Is there anything comparable to this? I'm not even that sure what was so compelling to me about this. The freaky mixture of styles, the time travel reveal, the apocalyptic atmosphere, a story not afraid of outright tormenting its characters, gloriously insane battles (Za Warudo army, gun-fu in slowmo, chainspear (???) shenanigans)... And something else that bothers me in many shows: although there are many talking heads scenes (hell, the bunnycat does a ton of deliciously evil monologues), it's not static, they do tons of camera tricks. The whole anime didn't feel static to me at any point. Maybe it's just a production value thing, or typical for that studio, I have no idea. I don't know anything about cinematography either, I just suddenly noticed the lack of something that bothered me elsewhere.
Any recommendations? I'm hooked, and I've run out of anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you loved the directors style, watch his other stuff. be prepared for fanservice in a lot of them tho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Torquemadras posted:

Okay.

So I'm not an Animes man. Watched the Bebop, Akira, Evangelion, Miyazaki, and I reaaaaaally liked Satoshi Kon. That's the extent of my anime knowledge right there. I figured once I'd give the moving pictures versions of Berserk and JoJo a try, but it fell kinda flat for me. Too little motion, stupid CGI, dialog feels stupid when condensed to a Magical Narration Second instead of some speech bubbles.

And then some girl starts talking about Madoka, how it's apparently awesome, but it's also recommended to me by a self-confessed brony, so like hell I'm stepping near that one.
When I actually gave it a try, I literally knew nothing about it except there's magical girls and a bunnycat which is evil, but I thought people exaggerate.

:stare:

Seriously, I've seen nothing like it. I've later read people comparing it to the insanity of late Evangelion, but Evangelion was painful until the last six episodes + End of Evangelion or so. The fights scenes were so great, and I love the different styles for the witches. I couldn't really imagine how to continue from the series except for a major retcon (and I guess the last movie did, in fact, have a character in-universe forcibly retcon the story?), but Rebellion did a nice job. Liked how people kept punking time-stop powers.

Is there anything comparable to this? I'm not even that sure what was so compelling to me about this. The freaky mixture of styles, the time travel reveal, the apocalyptic atmosphere, a story not afraid of outright tormenting its characters, gloriously insane battles (Za Warudo army, gun-fu in slowmo, chainspear (???) shenanigans)... And something else that bothers me in many shows: although there are many talking heads scenes (hell, the bunnycat does a ton of deliciously evil monologues), it's not static, they do tons of camera tricks. The whole anime didn't feel static to me at any point. Maybe it's just a production value thing, or typical for that studio, I have no idea. I don't know anything about cinematography either, I just suddenly noticed the lack of something that bothered me elsewhere.
Any recommendations? I'm hooked, and I've run out of anime.

The author is Gen Urobuchi (fate/zero, psycho-pass, tons of other stuff I'm forgetting), though this is his best work or close to it.

The animation was done by shaft (nisekoi, monogatari series, tons of other stuff).

The closest thing to more Madoka (besides watching the third movie, which is good) is probably Fate/Zero. Same author (though he was working with someone else's IP), same music composer, one of the best animation studios around (though the art is much more grounded than Madoka, there's nothing like the witch sequences).

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

So I'm not an Animes man...

...And then some girl starts talking about Madoka, how it's apparently awesome, but it's also recommended to me by a self-confessed brony, so like hell I'm stepping near that one.

Is there anything comparable to this? I'm not even that sure what was so compelling to me about this. The freaky mixture of styles, the time travel reveal, the apocalyptic atmosphere, a story not afraid of outright tormenting its characters, gloriously insane battles (Za Warudo army, gun-fu in slowmo, chainspear (???) shenanigans)...

I'm going to recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena. Admittedly not because of anything you wrote, but mostly because it owns and partially as a middle-finger to that there brony bit:horse:. It should improve your appreciation for what's outside an assumed demographic. :colbert:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ferretts posted:

I'm going to recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena. Admittedly not because of anything you wrote, but mostly because it owns and partially as a middle-finger to that there brony bit:horse:. It should improve your appreciation for what's outside an assumed demographic. :colbert:

Feel free to replace "brony" with "overall creep" :toot: Recommendation taken!

cheetah7071 posted:

The closest thing to more Madoka (besides watching the third movie, which is good) is probably Fate/Zero. Same author (though he was working with someone else's IP), same music composer, one of the best animation studios around (though the art is much more grounded than Madoka, there's nothing like the witch sequences).

This one looks nice. A cursory search gave me a first episode with lots of talking and little else, plus a video of a screaming knight on a possessed plane fighting a smug anime dude. Let's give this one the 3-episode test!

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Is there anything comparable to this?

I personally recommend Shin Sekai Yori, partly because it's comparable to Madoka in terms of being unafraid to have bad things happen to the characters without being gratuitous about it, and partly because I just think it's really good. It's a longer show than Madoka and slower in places, but is a well-made story nonetheless.

• Locked thread