Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Please share a cat picture.
Oh man do I have a thread for you. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You forgot the link. Also we should just start requiring cat pictures in every post from here on out. Dogs might be acceptable too. Should keep the shitposting down for a few.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Please share a cat picture.

I was actually going to add in the little cat smiley in my post but hell if I can find anything on that smiley page, so here's this guy

The best part about NEW google photos is that it seems to upload so fast it saves all your failed, blurry, late photos even if you delete them immediately. Not that I have any of those of course

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DemonMage posted:

You forgot the link.
Oh, I guess my reputation doesn't precede me everywhere I go...

Have a 4000+ page thread of cat pics.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

baka kaba posted:

I was actually going to add in the little cat smiley in my post but hell if I can find anything on that smiley page
:cabot:

:minnie:

Get on my level

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yesss :cabot:

To be honest I wasn't sure if this was going to be 'YOSPOS thread' or 'post a catte and you're BANNED'

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Back to Moto discussion please

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

Back to Moto discussion please
They look good.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

My cat's called Moto

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

baka kaba posted:

My cat's called Moto

Hello Moto.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm really tempted to sell my S6 and get a Moto X! I had the 2013 and it was a loving brilliant phone, but the lack of wireless charging does give some pause.

Speaking of, here's my pug!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm really tempted to sell my S6
If it motivates you at all to pull the trigger sooner, it sounds like Samsung's about to cut prices on the S6 after lackluster earnings again this quarter.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If it motivates you at all to pull the trigger sooner, it sounds like Samsung's about to cut prices on the S6 after lackluster earnings again this quarter.

It really isn't an awful phone, and I'm a rootnerd who works in IT.

drat, but I miss Active Display.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I have a moto x that was running android 4.2 or 4.3. My fiance scanned a qr code on a co-worker's shirt and from the fact there are now a poo poo ton of pictures and videos on it plus a picture of a stupid guy fawkes mask I'm pretty sure she was hacked. Problem - shortly after she came home I could no longer turn my phone on. I thought maybe it wasn't charged or I had left it unlocked in my pocket. Holding the power button does nothing. I left it on the charger for thirty minutes and tried again - nothing. The battery of course is non user serviceable so I don't have the tools to remove it. I can use an amp-meter to see that it is drawing charge from the charger... Is there another way to reset it besides the power button?

Say the malware on her phone found it on our network and tried to remotely exploit it - could it have bricked my phone or did it just break at a coincidental time? Is there anyway to un-brick it if it were malware related?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am probably buying a Moto X Style despite having a Tylt Vu, guess I'm the Hitler in the thread now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any word if you'll be able to add wireless charging to the new Moto X, like you are able to do for the LG G4?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The back isn't removable, so no.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

The back isn't removable, so no.

Well, that's a bummer.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm really tempted to sell my S6 and get a Moto X! I had the 2013 and it was a loving brilliant phone, but the lack of wireless charging does give some pause.

Speaking of, here's my pug!

Could you ask your pug to smile so I can see where his face is? Thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

My cat's called Moto
Every time you get a new cat do you name it the exact same thing but with the year in parentheses?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have a moto x that was running android 4.2 or 4.3. My fiance scanned a qr code on a co-worker's shirt and from the fact there are now a poo poo ton of pictures and videos on it plus a picture of a stupid guy fawkes mask I'm pretty sure she was hacked. Problem - shortly after she came home I could no longer turn my phone on. I thought maybe it wasn't charged or I had left it unlocked in my pocket. Holding the power button does nothing. I left it on the charger for thirty minutes and tried again - nothing. The battery of course is non user serviceable so I don't have the tools to remove it. I can use an amp-meter to see that it is drawing charge from the charger... Is there another way to reset it besides the power button?

Say the malware on her phone found it on our network and tried to remotely exploit it - could it have bricked my phone or did it just break at a coincidental time? Is there anyway to un-brick it if it were malware related?

Sounds wild because who would ever scan a QR code, ever, but maybe you got hit by this?
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/trend-micro-discovers-vulnerability-that-renders-android-devices-silent/

Maybe ask the coworker to unfuck your phone if he's wearing a link to an android exploit on his shirt or something.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I use my phone for: reading emails and news, twitter/texting, occasional video when I'm bored, no real gaming or picture taking, and getting around a giant city. I want a phone that will do all of these things for a long time with the brightness up and the smartphone quality of life gadgets like location tracking on - without having to game it with Tasker or anything. I'm coming from a broken Nexus 5 where the glass is starting to flake off, and I've only ever really had stock Android since the One. I should get the Play over the Moto G, right?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kafka Esq. posted:

I use my phone for: reading emails and news, twitter/texting, occasional video when I'm bored, no real gaming or picture taking, and getting around a giant city. I want a phone that will do all of these things for a long time with the brightness up and the smartphone quality of life gadgets like location tracking on - without having to game it with Tasker or anything. I'm coming from a broken Nexus 5 where the glass is starting to flake off, and I've only ever really had stock Android since the One. I should get the Play over the Moto G, right?

Yeah, probably. I would say you could hold off to see what the new Note looks like since they always have pretty large gently caress-off batteries but if you're really insistant on staying as close to stock android as possible that's probably your best bet.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, probably. I would say you could hold off to see what the new Note looks like since they always have pretty large gently caress-off batteries but if you're really insistant on staying as close to stock android as possible that's probably your best bet.

Based on what he said I totally think the Moto G is the way to go. The new version has a much bigger battery, more efficient processor, and still has a good 720p screen so battery life should be excellent. He doesn't game and is more concerned with having a stock Android experience that works without a lot of micro managing. The Style might have battery life issues and he doesn't speak of any real reason to spend so much more on the Play.

I've always ponied up for flagships but I think I'm on the Moto G train now, too. I've advised my wife both of my brothers to get Gs and they all rave about them.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kafka Esq. posted:

You need to go back a few pages and read that Google plus post disparaging the Qualcomm 615 in the Play. Sounds like the big battery is to counteract the crappy chip.

Based on benchmarks, manufacturer claims, reviews and anecdotes, you want the Sony Z3 or Z3C.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FistEnergy posted:

Based on what he said I totally think the Moto G is the way to go. The new version has a much bigger battery, more efficient processor, and still has a good 720p screen so battery life should be excellent. He doesn't game and is more concerned with having a stock Android experience that works without a lot of micro managing. The Style might have battery life issues and he doesn't speak of any real reason to spend so much more on the Play.

I've always ponied up for flagships but I think I'm on the Moto G train now, too. I've advised my wife both of my brothers to get Gs and they all rave about them.

I had a second gen Moto G and got burned by it, but maybe the third gen Moto G with 2 Gigs of RAM (the $219 model) would be pretty good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

wooger posted:

You need to go back a few pages and read that Google plus post disparaging the Qualcomm 615 in the Play. Sounds like the big battery is to counteract the crappy chip.

Based on benchmarks, manufacturer claims, reviews and anecdotes, you want the Sony Z3 or Z3C.

At this moment, with the newest 5.1.1 patch resolving many of the memory issues (although I need more runtime to prove it out) I can say that I am back in love with my Z3c and have no desire to leave it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Here, for reference. That guy is an Android Police writer and I consider his opinions to hold some value but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Here, for reference. That guy is an Android Police writer and I consider his opinions to hold some value but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

The main nit I have to pick with his recommendation to avoid the 615 is what it's based on. "Here are a whole bunch of crappy phones that are crap and would be crap regardless of the SoC. Therefore, since they share the same SoC, the SoC must be crap as well."

Edit:

Not a review, but info.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7784/snapdragon-610-615-qualcomm-continues-down-its-64bit-warpath-with-48core-cortex-a53-designs

Here is the bit that may be relevant as to why Moto chose the 615.

quote:

The two new SoCs are also pin compatible with the Snapdragon 410, offering phone vendors an easy way of designing a higher performance version of a 410 platform.

So, if I were to guess, the Play probably shares the same mainboard as the G with only the SoC swapped out to save costs. This allows them to put out a higher performing G with a better GPU.

Thermals are really the only reason why I could see that this could be problematic. Otherwise it's really just a 410 with double the cores and a Adreno 405 GPU.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 30, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The main nit I have to pick with his recommendation to avoid the 615 is what it's based on. "Here are a whole bunch of crappy phones that are crap and would be crap regardless of the SoC. Therefore, since they share the same SoC, the SoC must be crap as well."
Yeah, this is possible, but it is at least a little suspicious that all four were terrible. I don't know enough about the rest of those phones (especially the software they're running) to be comment really. Hopefully Motorola know what they're doing because it looks like a nice device on paper.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It looks like AnandTech finally has their LG G4 review up, for those interested.

And that $399 price point for the new Moto is amazing.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 30, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hughmoris posted:

It looks like AnandTech finally has their LG G4 review up, for those interested.

What's nice is we can use this review to extrapolate what the new Moto X will be like.

808 is interesting compared to the 810 or even 805.

It certainly seems like the better choice than the 810 in this space due to the fact that it throttles far far less. However, it seems the GPU is weaker than the 805 in the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo.

Battery life looks to be really good though, this comments stuck out.

quote:

In LTE web browsing, we can really see the value of Qualcomm’s modem, as with Snapdragon 808 LTE web browsing is effectively identical in battery life to WiFi web browsing.

Also, this points to the advanatages over the 810.

quote:

In Basemark OS II, we continue to see why LG has chosen to go with the Snapdragon 808. Although the battery performance is comparable to the One M9 here, in practice sustained performance is higher as the test manages to stay on the A57 cluster at around 800-600 MHz rather than dropping off to the A53 cluster from thermal throttling.

Basically, the 810 overheats and has to hand off the tasks to the A53 cluster cores, effectively turning your phone into a Snapdragon 410 device. The 808 can keep the workload running on the A57 cores.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Which of these benchmarks would be the most relevant for a mobile-app-wrapper that attempts to run a Google Chrome Apps desktop game? It's mostly 2D if that matters.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Every time you get a new cat do you name it the exact same thing but with the year in parentheses?

No but there is a Turbo edition around here somewhere!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I had a ton of trouble getting my Note 4 to connect to my home wifi after it upgraded to Lollipop (wifi worked perfect with KitKat). I think I finally figured it out. I could connect to the wifi, but anything that required DNS would never work.

My network is G/N mixed WPA2-personal, AES-only with an obnoxiously long passphrase. I tried pretty much everything except falling back to WEP or WPA encryption (no way). I could connect to several other WPA2 networks, but my home network didn't work. I did phone resets, router resets, static IP assignment, all kinds of things.

I had three different access points, with SSIDs power_of_linux, den_of_inequity, and champagne_room. The first AP runs DD-WRT and the other two run OpenWRT. I couldn't get a working connection with any of them.

Today I changed the first router's SSID to PowerOfLinux, and presto, full wifi connectivity. I removed the underscores from the other AP SSIDs, and they work perfectly, too.

gently caress you Samsung, Sprint, and Google for having such a weird bug and not being able to help me.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

wooger posted:

That's $700 in Canada.

I may just take the plunge for a Moto X Style at that price. I was just hoping it would come here quicker. However, I can always get it shipped to a PO box in Buffalo!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PBCrunch posted:

gently caress you Samsung, Sprint, and Google for having such a weird bug and not being able to help me.
Who uses underscores in SSIDs anyway?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

That's $700 in Canada.

It's down too $599 CAD now!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's down too $599 CAD now!

I was trying to stay below the $500 the Style would probably cost. The unconfirmed CPU problem on the Play worries me but I won't be buying it until detailed reviews come out. The Moto G may be my best bet, but I really want battery to not be a problem. Mostly because I wander through various levels of lovely service even in the city, and that can drain battery very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Given the same workload, I see no reason why the Play should drain a battery at a faster rate than the Moto G. Anecdotes aside, it's basically a Snapdragon 410 with double the cores. If all it's doing is sitting in you pocket and checking your email, their idle drain rate should be the same and the Play has a lot more battery capacity.

Thermal issues can cause performance problems when running at full tilt, but that is going to be highly dependent on how well Moto does throttling and even how the phone is physically designed to dissipate heat.

Worse comes to worse, they can disable half the cores and then they basically have a 410 with a better GPU.

It is a dumb CPU. There's no reason to have 8xA53 cores. They probably would have been better off with a 610. But it seems few devices are using that.

So, a list of devices was rattled off that I wouldn't even expect to be good with flagship components. There are others though. Samsung is using it in the Galaxy A7.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a7-review-1225p3.php

quote:

The Samsung Galaxy A7 comes with a 2,600mAh battery - the same size as the battery in a 5" Galaxy S4 and practically the same as the 5.1" Galaxy S6 battery. That's not a lot to feed a 5.5" screen and an octa-core processor, but it's the price you pay for the 6.3mm thinness. Plus, the Galaxy Alpha did quite well on a tiny battery.

After running the tests our concerns subsided - the Galaxy A7 managed an impressive 83-hour rating, matching the Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z3. The Galaxy Note 4 is slightly ahead at 90 hours, but even the massive 3,900mAh battery of the Motorola RAZR MAXX was not enough to pull it far ahead.

So, battery life seems to match the Z3 and the A7 is a full 1000mAh less than what will be in the Play.

Throughout that review, they don't really mention any hanging or jankiness. The benchmarks are middling, but we know it isn't a very powerful device.

However, all told, the A7 seems to be a good analog for what to expect with the X Play.