Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If you don't like it now I doubt the second half would change your mind anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I started watching early because I'll be busy later tonight and I'm not gonna be able to finish. I'll have to stop after 3 episodes. No will to put in Disc 2. Sorry all.

I count this as me winning.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A thing came up, and I will be hanging out with pals and gaming tonight, so I have watched the episodes in advance and will write things either later tonight or tomorrow.

I hope everyone enjoys themselves tonight.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

I started watching early because I'll be busy later tonight and I'm not gonna be able to finish. I'll have to stop after 3 episodes. No will to put in Disc 2. Sorry all.

jesus christ

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Episode 4 is so good, too!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Episode 3 is a really weird one to place in the whole series. Ostensibly it's an episode that's just kinda expanding the world, using a secondary character at its view lense. You see more of the Fraternity and learn more about mankind and the areas we live in space now. You learn that space monsters are circling the solar system in an orbit and basically blocking us from travelling much farther. It also showcases Nono's outlook more by highlighting somebody directly opposed to it.

It's an episode that also highlights the visual creativity of the team, neo venice built in the body of an old gigantic class battleship, toy (giant) robots in clamshell packaging, dix neuf pulling even more crazy attacks in an act of desperation, the irresistible power of tennis.

There's also some scenes that might get lost in the shuffle involving the importance of the stars and the ability to do the impossible by the end of this episode. Stuff that doesn't get fully realized until the end of the series but is hinted at now, a lot like Lal'c opening soliloquy about what a god would prays to.

I remember disliking this one a lot in the original showing but when you notice all the pieces set up in it I think it serves its purpose pretty well. The first half of the series is about establishing a world and time vastly different from our own. The next episode starts to tear it down.

Also: NICE! SERVE.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cool pic of vingt dix neuf i found

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Got caught up in a game. Gonna go ahead and watch now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Episode 4 is so good.... I forgot how good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I remember disliking this one a lot in the original showing but when you notice all the pieces set up in it I think it serves its purpose pretty well. The first half of the series is about establishing a world and time vastly different from our own. The next episode starts to tear it down.

I wasn't a fan of it on my initial viewing either (compared to the rest of the series, at least), but I liked it way more on subsequent viewings. It's one of those episodes where knowing what's coming in future episodes makes it easier to appreciate.

Also there are cool little things I missed the significance of way back when I originally saw it, like Nicola's comment about the city built on the old battleship. It totally doesn't reflect anything about his character at all, no sir.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BUSTER MACHINE. NANAGO.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also one neat little detail that I like: The Buster Machine in episode 3 is delivered in something that looks like a plastic case, making it look like a giant toy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Soixante-Six is still really really cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

BUSTER MACHINE. NANAGO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, still awesome.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's really good at drawing out the horror of what is in fact the actual Space Monster and just piling on the impossible after the impossible in rapid succession right to the finale.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

with Buster Legion.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Episode 4 was pretty jaw-dropping. That is what a giant, humanity-destroying space monster is supposed to look like. The last couple episodes had me disappointed that the enemies looked so inorganic and boring, but this latest development has made up for it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i haven't watched any episodes yet, but i'm going to watch two today, and two tomorrow and catch up

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i haven't watched any episodes yet, but i'm going to watch two today, and two tomorrow and catch up

Good luck, friend.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Episode 3 was really good. I must've been sleepy the first time I saw episode 3 because I caught a few obvious things I didn't pick up on the first time through. I really loved the flashbacks with tycho and watching her finally let go of the past with some help from nono.

Gonna watch episode 4 now. It's good too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Well that was loving badass

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i like how most (all? didn't catch them all) of the cannonfodder topless had joke food names and such

also wild guess~ nono riko = noriko

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nono is good at splitting things.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One of the most overt examples thus far on why it's important to watch Gunbuster first, so when the "gravity well" emerges from Titan and you'll be all "Hey, that looks kind of familiar... Oh :aaa:"

Droyer posted:

Nono is good at splitting things.
Lots of nice foreshadowing in the early eps!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I found episode 3 strange at first, like many probably did. After rewatching it though I really like it and it ties in thematically with stuff in later episodes.

Episode 4 is a clear parallell of episode 4 of Gunbuster, with Nono attaining her true power as Buster Machine 7 in the same way that Noriko obtained hers in the Gunbuster. They even bring back the buster machine march from the original. It's a very good episode, both as a callback and on its own merits.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also Nono lands on Dix-Neuf's hand in the same way Kazumi lands on Gunbuster's hand. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i like how most (all? didn't catch them all) of the cannonfodder topless had joke food names and such

also wild guess~ nono riko = noriko

Citron Limon was my favorite.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
how come all the Buster machines are numbered in French?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think just because it sounds cool

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Also Nono lands on Dix-Neuf's hand in the same way Kazumi lands on Gunbuster's hand. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

That's actually very interesting since the protagonist/onee-sama positions are reversed. Not sure if it means something, but it's a fun little detail. I think the shot is mirrored too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I think it's neat that for all their flashy over the top moves the topless are chumps that can't take on a single one of the space monsters from gunbuster, something that was owned by regular rear end spaceships thousands of years earlier

there's some sort of message in there but i'm not going down that hole

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Well that was loving badass

:agreed:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

poo poo, this anime is real good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That said I'm not enjoying it as much as I did Gunbuster, by this point. I can't quite pinpoint why because I like a lot of the individual elements of Diebuster a whole lot more so far.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was not a good idea to stop at episode 3 of Gunbuster, because at this point in Diebuster the former feels really boring

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

That said I'm not enjoying it as much as I did Gunbuster, by this point. I can't quite pinpoint why because I like a lot of the individual elements of Diebuster a whole lot more so far.

One thing I really like about diebuster over gunbuster is that the whole thing falls together as a single work way better. There's lots of allusions to themes and events that happen earlier in the run that tie everything together by the end in a cool way.

I like works that you can appreciate more having seen the entire thing and then works that are also improved on multiple viewings with the foreknowledge of what happens next.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

One thing I really like about diebuster over gunbuster is that the whole thing falls together as a single work way better. There's lots of allusions to themes and events that happen earlier in the run that tie everything together by the end in a cool way.

I like works that you can appreciate more having seen the entire thing and then works that are also improved on multiple viewings with the foreknowledge of what happens next.

Lal'c's monologues at the beginning of the first two eps are really touching now that I know what happens next.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Third episode is not as good as the first two, but is still quite good. Mostly I just didn't particularly care for rival girl and her story. Everything with Nono was still gold, and L'alc/Lal'c (whichever) is showing some fun mannerisms. I continue to get "future antagonist" vibes from the dude.

Onto the fourth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Lal'c's monologues at the beginning of the first two eps are really touching now that I know what happens next.

Yeah it's layered and plays with the narrative where i feel gunbuster is way more of a traditional progression based story. There's a lot of symbology with both stars as physical objects and as an unreachable ideal combined with the idea of having the will to do what you know to be impossible placed all throughout diebuster, episode 3 probably being the most notable example of it so far.

• Locked thread