Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Well that makes the math way less annoying, then. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Okay so who do I contact about getting a Non-Steam Heavensward CD Key changed to a Steam Heavensward CD Key?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Henron posted:

Okay so who do I contact about getting a Non-Steam Heavensward CD Key changed to a Steam Heavensward CD Key?

Nobody, because it's not possible. Steam copies are segregated from the rest of the PC world and you can't go in / out unless they very recently changed something.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out

nuru posted:

Nobody, because it's not possible. Steam copies are segregated from the rest of the PC world and you can't go in / out unless they very recently changed something.

Guess I'll try to get a refund, kind of a shame since I opened the packaging and probably won't be able to return it now hehe.

Good game!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Henron posted:

Guess I'll try to get a refund, kind of a shame since I opened the packaging and probably won't be able to return it now hehe.

Good game!

You do not want a Steam copy. All the updates go through the game's launcher anyway, and the game can be downloaded from the website. Steam only downloads that same base installation. Buying a steam version means you can never buy an expansion on sale from a 3rd party, and your account can never escape Steam (outside of extra licenses like Mac/PS4).

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Vermain posted:

They also have really got to move away from the 24v24v24 model. Any nuance in play goes out the window when you've got 9-12 potential targets with spell effects getting barfed up everywhere you turn. There's simply too many variables at once to process properly, and it diminishes the enjoyment of actually fighting people significantly. My sole game plan as Paladin is to find a vulnerable target, move in with my main damage combo, and hope to kill them in a small window before they either get Recouperate off or someone else heals them.
This is exactly the issue with PvP right now. If they truly want to stick to a three team FFA format they have to lower the team caps to maybe 15 maximum.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out

nuru posted:

You do not want a Steam copy. All the updates go through the game's launcher anyway, and the game can be downloaded from the website. Steam only downloads that same base installation. Buying a steam version means you can never buy an expansion on sale from a 3rd party, and your account can never escape Steam (outside of extra licenses like Mac/PS4).

I mean I can't really change that right now, I have a character at level 41 on Excalibur and I bought the game when it was $20 on Steam so...Best Buy says they don't give refunds for opened games too which means I can't get my money back and am stuck with a NON-STEAM Heavensward key.

Joy.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sick it up on samart, I'm sure you can easily find a buyer that wants to use stream wallet credit which I presume you could then use to buy the one you need on steam

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Henron posted:

I mean I can't really change that right now, I have a character at level 41 on Excalibur and I bought the game when it was $20 on Steam so...Best Buy says they don't give refunds for opened games too which means I can't get my money back and am stuck with a NON-STEAM Heavensward key.

Joy.

Like Data suggested, look for a trade on somewhere like SA-Mart or Reddit. There's enough savvy people buying copies of the game that you should be able to fix it.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out

Sentient Data posted:

Sick it up on samart, I'm sure you can easily find a buyer that wants to use stream wallet credit which I presume you could then use to buy the one you need on steam

Niton posted:

Like Data suggested, look for a trade on somewhere like SA-Mart or Reddit. There's enough savvy people buying copies of the game that you should be able to fix it.

Great suggestion folks, I'll throw a thread up on SA-Mart right fast.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

nuru posted:

Someone could check pretty easily by just slapping Serpentskin gear and updated weapons on a retainer and sending a bunch of 1 hour ventures out.
Dressing one in my actual gathering set returned an HQ item, so Perception has probably been normalized and I could stand to dress my guys up a bit better.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Henron posted:

Great suggestion folks, I'll throw a thread up on SA-Mart right fast.

You can't just enter the key on the mogstation account?

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out

Pews posted:

You can't just enter the key on the mogstation account?

Nope, I thought that was the case but Non-Steam keys can't be used to upgrade the Steam version of the game.

It's really ridiculous that that's the case but I'm hoping I can find someone that's willing to trade a Steam copy of Heavensward for my Non-Steam copy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So it seems like the level 60 crafting quests require items from the master craftsman books?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yes. Enjoy your single Tier IV materia!

(and quest story conclusion, but who cares about that)

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 30, 2015

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So it seems like the level 60 crafting quests require items from the master craftsman books?

They do, and WVR and LTW win the grand prize*.

*Grand Prize is the requirement of having 589 control to craft the level 60 turn-in.

fount of knowledge posted:

Yes. Enjoy your single Teir IV materia!

Actually the level 60 quest gives you 3 IV materia (1 of each type)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

fount of knowledge posted:

Yes. Enjoy your single Teir IV materia!

I care! Cul was excellent.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
What hotbar/keybind setups do people have when raiding as BLM? My FC are starting to do end game content, and I'd like to make sure I'm pulling my weight as DPS.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
This game is a lot more fun than I remember 11 being, although I've never seen so much pink quest equipment in my life.

Is there a shared bank in this game (for multiple characters) and if so where is it? I guess guild banks exist, but I don't really feel like joining any of the free companies that spam invite me for some reason.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Multiple characters probably relies on mail, but there's no real reason to have multiple characters on the same server that I can think of

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sooo, DRG Heavensward job quests any good? I've got a sudden hankering to level that after I finish WAR (56), despite having MNK up there already.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Multiple characters probably relies on mail, but there's no real reason to have multiple characters on the same server that I can think of
You can only mail people on your friends list and you can't get your alts on your friends list.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Sooo, DRG Heavensward job quests any good? I've got a sudden hankering to level that after I finish WAR (56), despite having MNK up there already.

not in the slightest. it's dumb, predictable garbage.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

This is to me what pvp Paladins are to Belzac.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Ferrinus posted:

B2, Freeze, Apocatastasis and so on have always been weird situational bennies, but in particular a bread and butter spell like Fire 1 actually has a core trait keeping it important. If Fire 4 could effectively replace Fire 1 it'd make Firestarter come up barely ever.

In general, I wouldn't really agree that abilities obsoleting each other at higher level is a BLM thing - T1 vs. T2 is really the only piece of egregious redundancy that comes to mind (though if you ask me, it's T2 that's largely pointless), everything else has at least situational use. Hell, there's even a situational difference between T1 and T2, it's just such a minor and abstractly mathematical one that it's almost impossible to notice and act on it with any degree of regularity.

I was actually hoping that T2 would get changed to a short-duration AoE, or T2 would become T3 while T3 becomes a shadowflare-esque thunderstorm zone, or something, but nothin' doin'.

The other BLM main in my FC and I were both hoping for some kind of new persistent ground damage ability, possibly even changing Freeze into it. Changing t2 would work too. I think BLM definitely needs a second look, but they're kind of caught in a hard place between people who like the new changes and people who want their old class back. I doubt there exists a satisfactory solution for all or even most.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

seorin posted:

I doubt there exists a satisfactory solution for all or even most.

Just make it so new rotation only gives 5% extra dps. Problem solved.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Niton posted:

Scholar has some pretty absurd throughput, especially with Dissipation. With Vitality gear, you're almost impossible to kill, and Aetherflow + Mana Draw gives you the mana you need to survive protracted engagements. You also have Aura Blast to knock entire enemy teams off cliffs at the cliffside nodes.

Some other SCH tips:

• Leftside Piety + (Crit/Det) in every slot available. The only thing that will stop you is running out of mana, especially without Piety from your right side.
  • Rightside Vitality + best available substats. Try to get at least Crit or Det in every slot. Vitality is a huge game in Seize - it's +40% health, but only -20% healing. With that amount of health, you can shrug off melee limit breaks with several thousand health to spare.
  • Crossclass Surecast and Stoneskin, over Protect and Cleric Stance. Def/MDef don't actually work in Seize, so Protect does nothing, and you can't even use Cleric stance.
  • Lean heavily on Adlo and Succor. You definitely have the mana for it, and the shields do a ton of work when combined with the standard heals of other healers. It doesn't show up in endgame, unfortunately, but your shielding is the best part of your class. As a bonus, Galvanize protects from dots once they're healed up properly.
  • Surecast Blizzard II is a good way to keep melee off of you during a retreat. You're fantastically mobile and can easily keep yourself and a couple of other people safe once you're comfortable.
  • Don't be afraid to Dissipate. Your fairy is powerful, but if you pop cooldowns and then eat her, you wind up with 3 extra Aetherflow stacks and a ton of extra throughput, which lasts for 45 seconds in PvP. You can solo heal an entire alliance through a fight with the proper use of 9 stacks of Aetherflow.

For left side isn't the only choice to wear the PvP gear, basically?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

For left side isn't the only choice to wear the PvP gear, basically?

Morale has no effect in Frontline (Slaughter/Secure/Seize). The only thing that matters is the ilvl (which almost all gear exceeds) and the stats on it.

e: ATM, my left side is:

• Gogyo Sosei Kai (Piety/Crit)
  • Asuran Hachigane of Healing (Piety/Det)
  • Antiquated Savant's Overcoat (Det/Piety)
  • Asuran Tekko of Healing (Piety/Crit)
  • Asuran Kawa-Obi of Healing (Crit/Piety)
  • Prototype Gordian Brayettes of Healing (Piety/Crit)
  • Prototype Gordian Gambieras of Healing (Det/Piety)

I'd be lying if I said that PvP wasn't the tipping point that convinced me to get chest before weapon, since the "best" alternative is Valerian Shaman's Chausible (crit/det), but in general you just want as much piety as possible.

Niton fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 30, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ah, ok. Seal Rock yesterday was my first PVP queue, so I have a lot to pick up still.

That's very helpful, thank you. For right side do you generally just have to meld VIT accessories?

nuru fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 30, 2015

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

nuru posted:

For right side do you generally just have to meld VIT accessories?

Melds do not work in frontlines.

Morale, however, does work in frontlines. It only caps your lowest substat, so the gains are going to be minor, but PVP gear stats are generally preferred. The item level sync is 150, but you want to be as close to 190 as you can get, which includes 180+20 pvp gear, to cap all substats. Above 190 doesn't matter, as the substats are high enough to be capped by that point.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Stufoo posted:

Melds do not work in frontlines.

Morale, however, does work in frontlines. It only caps your lowest substat, so the gains are going to be minor, but PVP gear stats are generally preferred. The item level sync is 150, but you want to be as close to 190 as you can get, which includes 180+20 pvp gear, to cap all substats. Above 190 doesn't matter, as the substats are high enough to be capped by that point.

So in that case, it's basically down to Fending right side that has Det and/or Crit then for Healers?

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

nuru posted:

So in that case, it's basically down to Fending right side that has Det and/or Crit then for Healers?

Yes, specifically the asuran ears are good. The rest is just parry and other sad stats that you just have to live with if you want to survive limit breaks 100% of the time.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Can you still get the fat chocobo mount?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sade posted:

Can you still get the fat chocobo mount?

If you upgrade your account to include ARR collector's edition, I believe so. Check Mog Station.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nuru posted:

Yeah. Doubling your HP so you can consistently survive being focused/LB'd down is well worth losing ~25% of your heals. Healers are very much the tanks in the PvP world.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sounds like PvP in most MMOs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a laid back social linkshell on Excal I can join to watch people chat at occasionally so I don't feel utterly alone playing the game? PBC and the other LS in the op seem more serious oriented.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

DGKK is not serious. Come join us at DGKK.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
DGKK is the cool place for cool people

except me, I'm lame as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pbc gets pretty serious at times but god help me i refuse to conform

• Locked thread