Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:yotj: in a month! My Cousin who works for a company out on the East Coast has a job starting late next month.

- 5 minute commute? Check
- East Coast wages in Idaho? Check
- Full family benefits? Check
- 4 weeks of vacation time to start? Check
- In the field I love to work in? Check
- BBQ's every Wednesday AND I get to be the chef? Check

Heeeeck ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

flosofl posted:

(although there is something to be said for be able to craft a good search query to eliminate chaff)

People (especially IT people who undervalue their own skills) should stop thinking of it as "just Googling" and start thinking of it as "research." Researching is a real skill; just because we have a powerful tool (google) to help us out does not invalidate that. We still have to know what we're looking for, and we still do a ton of information gathering and categorization before we use the tool (even if, for many of us, this step happens nearly automatically), and we still sift through the information that we receive once we execute a search. Yeah, some of the time you can google the error message (if there is an error message). But we still have to sift through the results and determine which are possibilities and which can be dismissed outright.

Writing that out, it still doesn't sound like much. But I'm so comfortable with this medium, and it's clearly something that most people, even some people working in this field, are not able to do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Easy example:
You Google the error message.
The first result is on the HP support forums
The next result is on spiceworks
The third result is on superuser

Which site is most likely to be useful?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Easy example:
You Google the error message.
The first result is on the HP support forums
The next result is on spiceworks
The third result is on superuser

Which site is most likely to be useful?

That depends entirely on the context of the error. I've had brilliant luck with HP's forums when I was struggling with handling a Storageworks X9720 through the CMD, but if I was researching some SCCM error I'd probably go right to superUser. (edit: I mean "click the SuperUser link on the Google results page")

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
gently caress all companies who palm off their actual knowledgebase-building work to "the community". You know what the issues are, loving write them up properly and install a decent search interface instead of pointing your "support" link at a registration-unnecessary forum where everyone after the OP falls into one of these groups:
- E-peen++ chasers who want to get points by proposing lovely non-solutions to the OP's issue. "To reconstruct a failed RAID array, you should go into the BIOS and set "Enable RAID" to Off. Please up vote this post if it helped!"
- "me too"
- Gentlemen from the Indian subcontinent who either post a completely different problem, or write sth like "Can anyone help me with a burst capacitor plz email xxx@gmail.com thsnks Ramesh"

I don't make purchasing decisions at my current gig, but when I am in such a spot I'll be making "availability of support literature" a major factor.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The most important feature of any software is what happens when it doesn't work.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

go3 posted:

The most important feature of any software is what happens when it doesn't work.

I've always been alert for the shockwave and mushroom cloud.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I really wish the NOC manager would leave his stormtroopers armor voice changer off and decide not to speak 100% of the time through it. Cause all I keep hearing is *faux static garbled voice* krssssssshk-blip

Edit: Guy is absolutely obsessed with starwars. Like carry around "custom" lightsabers, member of every fangroup, has a comment for any possible reason and is a STDH grognard. Why don't you know he has a 2000HP Evo, has a girlfriend AND a mistress. Unfortunately, he knows his poo poo and honestly very helpful and competent.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 30, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: in a month! My Cousin who works for a company out on the East Coast has a job starting late next month.

- 5 minute commute? Check
- East Coast wages in Idaho? Check
- Full family benefits? Check
- 4 weeks of vacation time to start? Check
- In the field I love to work in? Check
- BBQ's every Wednesday AND I get to be the chef? Check

Heeeeck ya!

Congratulations on the :yotj:, condolences on it not being out of Idaho.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I really wish the NOC manager would leave his stormtroopers armor voice changer off and decide not to speak 100% of the time through it. Cause all I keep hearing is *faux static garbled voice* krssssssshk-blip

Edit: Guy is absolutely obsessed with starwars. Like carry around "custom" lightsabers, member of every fangroup, has a comment for any possible reason and is a STDH grognard. Why don't you know he has a 2000HP Evo, has a girlfriend AND a mistress. Unfortunately, he knows his poo poo and honestly very helpful and competent.

He comes to work dressed as a stormtrooper? :what:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tell me he works for Carbonite

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Volmarias posted:

He comes to work dressed as a stormtrooper? :what:

No, he has the voice changer that adds stupid radio noise to everything he says. He doesn't have stormtrooper armor yet, but he put up a go fund me around the office to pay for it. Apparently he raised enough funds to buy it. No, he comes into work dressed as a jedi sometimes though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

Do tell.

Remind me in a year. I've got a long list of disasters and gently caress ups that you wouldn't believe possible from there. I still got friends there though so I don't want to screw them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congratulations on the :yotj:, condolences on it not being out of Idaho.

Thanks! My entire family is here so its not a bad thing to me. :unsmith:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What the unconditional literal gently caress.

I am not wild about passive aggressive, but the only appropriate response to being spoken to through a voice changer is to look through the person. If you speak to me through a voice changer, you aren't there.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

ConfusedUs posted:

Tell me he works for Carbonite

Perfect.

Edit - Can someone explain the difference between using ADFS for O365 authentication and dirsync (or whatever dirsync is called now).

Swink fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 30, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They fired my temp. Hallelujah. :dance:

Of course this now means I might have to be taking calls while I'm sitting on a beach on my day off tomorrow (my birthday) but I'm not even mad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ADFS processes authentication on your domain controllers (but still needs you to sync directories). Password sync keeps the hashes in sync between AD and O365.

If part of the reason to move to O365 is so that you can carry on working if your servers get flattened then don't use ADFS.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I finally carve some time out to talk to EMC support on an issue we've been having, and of course their chat is down. :argh:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Weatherman posted:

gently caress all companies who palm off their actual knowledgebase-building work to "the community". You know what the issues are, loving write them up properly and install a decent search interface instead of pointing your "support" link at a registration-unnecessary forum where everyone after the OP falls into one of these groups:
- E-peen++ chasers who want to get points by proposing lovely non-solutions to the OP's issue. "To reconstruct a failed RAID array, you should go into the BIOS and set "Enable RAID" to Off. Please up vote this post if it helped!"
- "me too"
- Gentlemen from the Indian subcontinent who either post a completely different problem, or write sth like "Can anyone help me with a burst capacitor plz email xxx@gmail.com thsnks Ramesh"

I don't make purchasing decisions at my current gig, but when I am in such a spot I'll be making "availability of support literature" a major factor.

Or the ubiquitous "Have you tried booting in safe mode, then failing that formatting and reinstalling windows? If this was helpful please do the needful and upvote". For literally every single problem.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I swear some of our clients have no problem spending thousands of dollars on support and dozens of man hours, but telling them to get rid of their ancient Windows ce computers is an impossible task.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

They fired my temp. Hallelujah. :dance:

Of course this now means I might have to be taking calls while I'm sitting on a beach on my day off tomorrow (my birthday) but I'm not even mad.

Going to be hard to take calls when you're swimming in the ocean pretending not to be a seal

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Have a question for the network goons out there.

My father has a block and he is retiring soon and as such he wants his co-workers to be jealous and view his blog at work.

However the internal firewall keeps coming up with: "Error: Unknown Content" He works for the VA, and I am not sure what to do about this.

The domain is a actual regular URL and is registered through go-daddy. Is there a DNS entry or something I need to add for him?

Thanks!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

My father has a block and he is retiring soon and as such he wants his co-workers to be jealous and view his blog at work.

However the internal firewall keeps coming up with: "Error: Unknown Content" He works for the VA, and I am not sure what to do about this.

The domain is a actual regular URL and is registered through go-daddy. Is there a DNS entry or something I need to add for him?

Thanks!
You're sure it's not a content filter blocking it?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

You're sure it's not a content filter blocking it?

Well it's unknown content. There's just pictures of his trips and some random blog posts, no swearing, political or religious stuff. :shrug:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Thanks!

I know the Air Force uses Blue Coat for content filtering and it won't let you get to a site that hasn't been categorized. I don't know what the VA uses but if you find out you may just need to submit the site for categorization. I have no idea how long that takes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I know the Air Force uses Blue Coat for content filtering and it won't let you get to a site that hasn't been categorized. I don't know what the VA uses but if you find out you may just need to submit the site for categorization. I have no idea how long that takes.

Thanks! I was thinking it may be something like that. The error is so nondescript with absolutely no help as to how to fix it, I wasn't sure where to start.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

Well it's unknown content. There's just pictures of his trips and some random blog posts, no swearing, political or religious stuff. :shrug:

I think there are some filters that block all of a domain's content, like all .blogspot.com url's or something like that. Is he using a custom url to link to it or is it an entirely different site altogether, with no relation to any common blog sites?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

I think there are some filters that block all of a domain's content, like all .blogspot.com url's or something like that. Is he using a custom url to link to it or is it an entirely different site altogether, with no relation to any common blog sites?

Yeah, I bought him a custom domain for Christmas, so it's his own unique URL, not a sub domain. :3:
I did that specifically to avoid this issue as well. :smith:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Something pissing me off: I have nothing pissing me off. IT's not a feeling I am used to.

I am, as y'all would say, in a pod.

all my coworkers are good at their job, and very smart.

My managers are both as smart as my coworkers, if not smarter. Same for my director. My VP is actually sharp as a tack, but not so much in IT management, but programming/development.

my office is technically a "remote" office, but we have an actual office in downtown dallas, right in front of a DART stop.

Oh, and I got a nice pay bump.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Usually it will show Blocked. Category: Blogs depending on the web filter. Uncategorized is usually when the web filter company hasn't updated it's filters with new sites its robot have crawled. Some of them will go out and specifically check uncategorized sites if there are enough blocks to the domain happening if the filter checks against a subscription database. You can also fast-track it by requesting categorization or re-categorization if needed. Someone above mentioned Blue Coat will do this, and I know you can request this from Fortinet and OpenDNS as well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Convince an intern to come in dressed up like a Sith Lord. Please post the results ITT.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

nitrogen posted:

How fuckin old are you? IT'll be nice to have someone else old as hell on here.

:lol:

I'm 29.

I was working for a Telecom/ISP several years ago as an Application Administrator for a bunch of "Applications" that ran on very old variety of SUN-SPARC/HP-UX/AIX/OpenVMS/<$OtherOS> and collected traffic utilization from Electronic Switching Systems(ESS). This data was then used by Network Engineers to load-balance the network. If they didn't get the data they'll be running blind. The whole network could overload and it would be next to impossible to correct until the demand subsided.

One day, our reports stopped generating. It's not a big deal, my job and it happens all the time. Sometimes the switches will send garbage data, with parsing process running sequentially it'll get stuck or complete halfway. When this happens you need figure out which switch it is, clean up the database and make a few phone calls. I look, I can't find anything, ask my tech leads, they can't find anything. Network Engineering isn't upset, which is understandable but eventually they escalate.

An outage is called, development is on the bridge and they're our escalation path. Dev, as usual doesn't offer any help and tells us that it must be garbage data from some switch despite us showing them numerous logs that everything is functioning as intended. After a day, it's not fixed Network Engineer is pissed and supposedly someone from development went behind our backs and directly told the management of Network Engineering we're incompetent. The outage bridge explodes, my management and people get very upset.

A day or two later, I'm working on other things trying to avoid the existing cluster gently caress when another Application's Admin I've never heard of messages me that I'm the downstream. We talk, I tell him we're not downstream, he insists, I talk to my leads, they've never heard of it either, I look through old documentation and I can't find anything. I tell him again, he persists and I'm starting to wonder what did I do in a previous life to deserve this but for the hell of it I start skimming through a myriad of 50+ cronjobs that manage all incoming/outgoing data.

Eventually, I find one with his application mentioned and this weird UUCP thing. I can't remember what we changed not even a minute later after I hit write-quit in putty I hear one a co-worker who's idling the outage bridge go "Wait... What do you mean everything just started working?"

jaegerx posted:

Remind me in a year. I've got a long list of disasters and gently caress ups that you wouldn't believe possible from there. I still got friends there though so I don't want to screw them.

Cockteasery!

Understandable, I'll put my AS/400 Story if anyone wants to remind a year or two.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 31, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That moment you go to unrack some servers and realize that because of critical devices above and below, and the way the PDUs are mounted in the rack that, well, I guess that's just where we store those G7s now.

(This could have gone in any of the 42 threads we have about IT life, I suppose.)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 31, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I have to find the latest version of a quickbooks file we have, for a company we split from years ago, that nobody knows anything about.

It should be on a backup tape spanning anywhere in the last 5 years.

Nobody knows where the file was located when it was current data, so even if I find the right tape, I have no idea where the file will be. If it's the right tape.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just spend a week loving around and be "welp, couldn't find it".

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
A good amount of my restore requests go down that way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jesus gently caress, I hate static routing. Spend 10 goddamned minutes learning some basic poo poo about routing protocols and stop spiderwebbing your loving networks with static routes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

I feel like Tier 2 is where bad IT goes to die at most companies. Tier 1 is either bright-eyed bushy tailed PFYs who go above and beyond until they realize they're getting horribly underpaid for their job description and bail; Tier 3 is where those PFYs end up in 5 years (although usually coming in from other companies, because god forbid you pay someone more to do what they're already unofficially doing from inside the company). Tier 2 are the Tier 1s who sort of realized they're really not cut out for IT, but didn't want to bother finding another career path and landed in T2 on seniority alone.

I'm at T2, (like a legit t2, not this "t1 is actually a CS switchboard) and I don't quite feel that way. I have the capability probably to go beyond t3 but honestly, I just want the tools T3 has but not have to take phone calls anymore.

Customers make my brain hurt almost as much as people who escalate poo poo to me. At least there's accountability where I work tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Speaking of tier 2. One of mine is about to escalate a ticket for an issue that they wrote the how to for.